Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline OP
master
rickstershemi  Offline OP
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

March, 2010
March 26, 2010 - NOTICE OF DECERTIFICATION; NOTICE TO CEASE AND DESIST AND TERMINATION OF ALL CONTRACTS OF PARTICIPATION ISSUED TO IMPACT RACING
SFI Foundation, Inc., has issued a Notice of Decertification; Notice of Cease and Desist, and a notice terminating all Contracts of Participation to Impact Racing. Effective April 27, 2010, all products manufactured and/or distributed by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Specification Programs 3.2A, 3.3, 16.1, and 16.5 are decertified. Evidence obtained by SFI shows that over a period of years Impact Racing has engaged in the production and use of counterfeit SFI conformance labels and patches, and affixed them to Impact products for use in motorsports. Under the Contracts of Participation between SFI and Impact, SFI conformance labels and patches may only be obtained from SFI and no other source. Evidence shows that Impact had counterfeit SFI labels and patches made in Asia and then affixed them to Impact products it distributed to members of the racing community. To SFI’s knowledge, Impact never advised its customers that its products contained phony SFI labels and patches. Impact never advised SFI of its systematic and longstanding practice of counterfeiting and distributing SFI patches and labeling.
Impact has been directed to cease and desist from this practice. SFI has directed Impact to immediately notify all affected customers to remove the counterfeit labeling and to offer the affected customers a full refund of the purchase price. SFI is requesting that all counterfeit conformance labels removed from Impact products be sent to SFI.
SFI has elected not to decertify these products immediately in order to minimize the potential hardships to members of the racing community that have been brought about by Impact’s counterfeiting activities.
SFI has also elected to terminate all Contracts of Participation with Impact Racing effective 90 days from March 24, 2010. Under the terms of the Contracts, either party may terminate the agreements without penalty upon 90 days notice. This means that Impact will no longer be able to participate in any SFI programs after this 90 day period.
SFI has taken these actions in the best interests of the safety and integrity of the racing community. This is in keeping with SFI’s mission and purpose.

Rickster

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: rickstershemi] #651868
03/26/10 03:24 PM
St. Louis, MO
Blues_Cuda Offline
master
Blues_Cuda  Offline
master

St. Louis, MO
Isn't this the former owner of Simpson?

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: rickstershemi] #651869
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
i wonder what's really going on here?

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: maximum entropy] #651870
03/26/10 03:31 PM
03/26/10 03:31 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

i wonder what's really going on here?

Well before there jacket didnt meet sfi code and I
guess they looked a little closer at them

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: Blues_Cuda] #651871
03/26/10 03:34 PM
03/26/10 03:34 PM
BROOK PARK, OH
WILD BILL Offline
Senior Member of the Junior Dragster Club
WILD BILL  Offline
Senior Member of the Junior Dragster Club

BROOK PARK, OH
Quote:

I think so

All I can say is WOW and I feel for those affected.

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: WILD BILL] #651872
03/26/10 03:38 PM
03/26/10 03:38 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

I think so

Yep... sure am glad I dont own any Impact gear...
those guys are going to be Pisssed off specially
if they just purchased it ... a jacket and pants
arent cheap if its a /5 or better

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: MR_P_BODY] #651873
03/26/10 03:44 PM
03/26/10 03:44 PM
Indy
J
joshking440 Offline
Lunch is on me!
joshking440  Offline
Lunch is on me!
J

Indy
Im headed to there office in brownsburg asap!!!

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: rickstershemi] #651874
03/26/10 03:45 PM
03/26/10 03:45 PM
Q
quick77rt Offline
Parts Problem
quick77rt  Offline
Parts Problem
Q

If SFI is doing there job and have a legit reason, then there is one system that works, and who knows if it keeps one kid from being fatherless its all the better.

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: WILD BILL] #651875
03/26/10 03:47 PM
03/26/10 03:47 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

maybe i'm dead wrong here for my comments but bill simpson has probably done more to advance racing safety than any other single person out there. now his previously owned company that bears his name is owned by businessmen who are having their safety equipment made in china etc. i'd like to get a new simpson bandit but the shells are now made in china. afaik all impact equipment was made in USA, i could be wrong. with sfi's history i wouldn't be surprised if they charge a premium for their approval over and above what it actually costs for the testing (read business not non-profit). obviously i have no first hand knowledge of all the aspects of the situation and would be sorely disappointed if simpson was knowingly and/or deliberately selling compromised safety equipment but off the cuff i'd rather have my sfi sticker made in china than my helmet...but that's just my twisted logic.

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: MR_P_BODY] #651876
03/26/10 03:48 PM
03/26/10 03:48 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline OP
master
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think so

Yep... sure am glad I dont own any Impact gear...
those guys are going to be Pisssed off specially
if they just purchased it ... a jacket and pants
arent cheap if its a /5 or better

To say I'm pissed off would be a huge understatement.....not only due to the cost of replacement (suit, shoes, gloves, neck collar, arm restraints) but more due to my but being strapped into the roadster in a suit that is evidently not safe....that's the kicker

Rickster

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: rickstershemi] #651877
03/26/10 03:54 PM
03/26/10 03:54 PM
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

Rick again i could be dead wrong here but it's not necessarily true that your gear is unsafe. it's plausible i would think to have a item certified by design, duplicate the item and put the counterfeit tag on it rather than paying sfi for their tags. i would bet that sfi probably charges a premium for the tags given the profit potential the items have.

to add another twist to it you could have a item certified THEN begin making/selling substandard products but paying sfi for the legit tags.

Last edited by jamesc; 03/26/10 04:01 PM.
Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: jamesc] #651878
03/26/10 04:04 PM
03/26/10 04:04 PM
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

and THINK about this one. if sfi says they have elected to not decertify all the equipment immediately exactly what are we saying here? are we saying the equipment is deemed to actually be safe but we didn't get our cut or are we saying the equipment is unsafe but in the interest of convenience we're going to knowingly allow people to race with substandard equipment...seems a little hypocritical doesn't it?

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: jamesc] #651879
03/26/10 04:09 PM
03/26/10 04:09 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
I don't blame Rickster or anybody else for being PO'd, I would feel the same way!

Jamesc does have some valid points and I'd rather have my SFI sticker made in china rather than my helment But that is no excuse nor good business practice for racers who TRUST HIS BRAND with their LIFE!

It WILL be interesting to see how this all plays out in the days and weeks ahead.

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: jamesc] #651880
03/26/10 04:10 PM
03/26/10 04:10 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline OP
master
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Rick again i could be dead wrong here but it's not necessarily true that your gear is unsafe. it's plausible i would think to have a item certified by design, duplicate the item and put the counterfeit tag on it rather than paying sfi for their tags. i would bet that sfi probably charges a premium for the tags given the profit potential the items have.

to add another twist to it you could have a item certified THEN begin making/selling substandard products but paying sfi for the legit tags.

I agree to a certain extent....you might feel safe strapping yourself in wearing a suspect product....but I sure wouldn't

and why should sfi be getting bashed period...nobody is reinventing the wheel here...it's been done this way for decades

If simpson is putting bogus sfi tags on his product....then shame on him and him only

Rickster

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: jamesc] #651881
03/26/10 04:14 PM
03/26/10 04:14 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

maybe i'm dead wrong here for my comments but bill simpson has probably done more to advance racing safety than any other single person out there. now his previously owned company that bears his name is owned by businessmen who are having their safety equipment made in china etc. i'd like to get a new simpson bandit but the shells are now made in china. afaik all impact equipment was made in USA, i could be wrong. with sfi's history i wouldn't be surprised if they charge a premium for their approval over and above what it actually costs for the testing (read business not non-profit). obviously i have no first hand knowledge of all the aspects of the situation and would be sorely disappointed if simpson was knowingly and/or deliberately selling compromised safety equipment but off the cuff i'd rather have my sfi sticker made in china than my helmet...but that's just my twisted logic.

not all simpson products are made in china. the helmet I just bought was made in Kentucky.

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: rickstershemi] #651882
03/26/10 04:16 PM
03/26/10 04:16 PM
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

i'm not defending simpson or bashing sfi but what makes the product suspect? do you really think the sfi tag is what makes a product safe? like i said IF the products are unsafe they should IMMEDIATELY suspend their use completely. so from a actual point of safety either one of two things is true. the products are safe OR they're unsafe and SFI is opening itself to some serious litigation of anyone gets injured. only one of these can be true. like i said think about it. either the stuff is good or it's not and we're willing to compromise the entire concept the SFI is founded on...which do you think is true? believe me i would be just as smoking mad if i had a bunch of impact gear and this came out.

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: Quicktree] #651883
03/26/10 04:20 PM
03/26/10 04:20 PM
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

didn't say they all were but afaik the shell for the bandit is and that's what i wanted to get. also afaik they will no longer recert and/or reweb their own equipment and it just so happens they make the only harness that fits the sig car nice and believe me i've tried many of them. just curious which helmet did you get?

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: jamesc] #651884
03/26/10 04:21 PM
03/26/10 04:21 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

i'm not defending simpson or bashing sfi but what makes the product suspect? do you really think the sfi tag is what makes a product safe? like i said IF the products are unsafe they should IMMEDIATELY suspend their use completely. so from a actual point of safety either one of two things is true. the products are safe OR they're unsafe and SFI is opening itself to some serious litigation of anyone gets injured. only one of these can be true. like i said think about it. either the stuff is good or it's not and we're willing to compromise the entire concept the SFI is founded on...which do you think is true? believe me i would be just as smoking mad if i had a bunch of impact gear and this came out.

sfi wants there money plain and simple

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: Quicktree] #651885
03/26/10 04:26 PM
03/26/10 04:26 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Sure SFI wants their money...but I'd raise suspicions about any company that produced a bogus safety certification sticker of any sort. If they are willing to lie about the authenticity of the safety certification sticker then what else are they willing to lie about? Bad business practices all around...if the cert is that expensive I'd look for ways to reduce manufacturing costs and/or explain to the customer how much the cost of their product goes towards that SFI safety cert, so when they raise their prices to cover the additional $$ SFI wants the customer can raise their ire at SFI, not Impact.

Re: {{{{{{{ SFI Notice in Regards to IMPACT RACING }}}}}}}} [Re: jamesc] #651886
03/26/10 04:28 PM
03/26/10 04:28 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline OP
master
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

and like I said James....I agree with that, but who says it actually is or not...????? Do you know...????? OK, I don't either and it pisses me off....if you can't understand that, then I'm sorry.

Guess we will see what comes from all this, but I am highly doubtful it will help any of us that are stuck with this crap and that is all it will be worth, thanks to Bill Simpson not playing by the rules.

Rant Over

Rickster

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4