05/25/08 07:30 AM
05/25/08 07:30 AM
Surface of the Sun, AZ
Hotwheelsjr Offline OP
I Live Here
Hotwheelsjr  Offline OP
I Live Here

Surface of the Sun, AZ
Can vinyl be bought as a sheet/roll and cut as desired? The roof on my daughter's '67 Barracuda was butchered at one time for a sun roof...the sun roof has since been cut back out and a panel welded in it's place. I'm thinking about wanting to put vinyl on it, but I'd want it to extend fully down both the front pillars and end where the rear windows are closest to the back window (top rear corner), so it would have to be a custom job. I'm not interested in paying someone to do it, either -- I'd like to tackle it myself after the car is painted. Reason being, it will take a ton of work and time to get the roof flat/smooth to look good with paint. Am I crazy?

Re: Another vinyl top question [Re: Hotwheelsjr] #63051
05/25/08 07:52 AM
05/25/08 07:52 AM
Washington
69440 Offline
super stock
69440  Offline
super stock

Washington
Yes, you can buy vinyl top material by the yard. Be very careful putting that top on though, cause I really think you'ld be making a huge mistake ending the top where you say you'ld want to end it. Once it was finished, I think you'ld stand back and say *(~=/`@?, I wish I wouldn't have done that. A full vinyl top would look great, but I think you should bring it all the way down. Take a piece of material, hold it at the top and have someone take a picture, and do the same at the bottom. Look, and study both pictures before you make your final decision. It ultimately your call, but I'd sure hate to see you have to start over cause you didn't like it the first time. If you can't find the material in your local area, get ahold of me and I'd be happy to help. Bill 69440

Re: Another vinyl top question [Re: Hotwheelsjr] #63052
05/25/08 08:05 AM
05/25/08 08:05 AM
VA
DAMOPARS Offline
master
DAMOPARS  Offline
master

VA
Do you have the trim parts to join them to the body?
I thought about a white top for my car but the trim parts can be hard to come by.

Re: Another vinyl top question [Re: DAMOPARS] #63053
05/25/08 10:32 PM
05/25/08 10:32 PM
Missouri
MOBodyman Offline
super stock
MOBodyman  Offline
super stock

Missouri
A vinyl top can indeed hide a multitude of problems. I once put one on a Pontiac Sunfire which had the roof crushed from the hood blowing up. I just hammered and dollied it real nice and laid the top on. You couldn't tell the roof had been bent.
I used to help an old-school upholstery guy who sewed his own tops from regular roll vinyl. He would sew either single or double seams depending on the application. I think your top would look fine without any seams. You can glue it on with 3-M heavy duty spray adhesive but the old guy used Formica brand countertop glue sprayed through an old paint gun. You couldn't pull the top loose either after you rubbed it down!
I also think it would look ok to put it on as you describe. Sure, it wouldn't be 'factory' but most non-Mopar guys wouldn't know the difference.
You used to be able to buy universal aluminum trim which could be bent on a special curved board to fit any roof. It was then cut to length and snapped onto plastic clips which were attached to the roof with screws. If you were doing a 'fancy' car you could use a vinyl trim which matched your top color. It snapped onto a bendable rail which was screwed to the roof.
You might find an old-time upholstery top with enough trim and clips to do your car. I'm not sure where to get it new anymore.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

2012 Rallye Redline Challenger, 1st new car!
2010 Ram 1500 4wd HEMI-hauler
2014 Dodge Dart-gas saver
4 projects and a bunch of parts cars, losing interest since buying the Challenger lol
1969 Dodge Coronet 500-'gonna fix 'er up someday!'
Re: Another vinyl top question [Re: MOBodyman] #63054
05/31/08 03:38 PM
05/31/08 03:38 PM
Surface of the Sun, AZ
Hotwheelsjr Offline OP
I Live Here
Hotwheelsjr  Offline OP
I Live Here

Surface of the Sun, AZ
Sorry it's been a while since I checked in to this thread -- thanks all for your replies. I don't know what I'm gonna do...we'll see what the future holds.