Page 1 of 2 1 2
Black radiator cools better than silver #621636
02/23/10 02:16 PM
02/23/10 02:16 PM
ogletownpa
383'D Offline OP
383'D  Offline OP

ogletownpa
A recent thermography course has taught me that black emits heat much better than silver or aluminum.Paint your hot water registers black and you will have more heat in the house. Has anyone attemted to see if this helps on automotive radiators.Most copper radiators are painted black?

Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: 383'D] #621637
02/23/10 02:28 PM
02/23/10 02:28 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Way, way back, like the '60s, there was a tech article that basically boiled down to: paint it black if you want the part to expel heat from its surface; paint it white if you want it to retain heat. White headers were found to retain heat and help somewhat with exhaust extraction.

Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: topside] #621638
02/23/10 02:38 PM
02/23/10 02:38 PM
Frederiction. New Brunswick ,C...
R
RTshaker Offline
enthusiast
RTshaker  Offline
enthusiast
R

Frederiction. New Brunswick ,C...
Why do black cars so much hotter than white cars on a hot day{parked } ?? Sittng on a black seat vs white certainly seems to be a difference. I always thought black absorbs and white reflects ?? Dunno

Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: RTshaker] #621639
02/23/10 03:41 PM
02/23/10 03:41 PM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
Quote:

Why do black cars so much hotter than white cars on a hot day{parked } ?? Sittng on a black seat vs white certainly seems to be a difference. I always thought black absorbs and white reflects ?? Dunno

Both are true.

Heat is transmitted by 3 different methods. Conduction: traveling within the material of an object (why the wire you're soldering is getting hot further up the wire from the solder location)
Convection: moving via air (or water) transfer to another object (hence, convection oven). Radiation: radiating the energy to the surrounding atmosphere or space. (Used commonly on spacecraft for supercooling components.)

Dark surfaces radiate better than light surfaces. But dark colors absorb light well also. They get hotter simply because they absorb light energy faster than they can radiate it. So even though light colored cars do absorb energy and radiate it to some degree, the main mechanism is reflecting the energy in the first place instead of absorbing it.

A black radiator will radiate better, but the main mechanisms for heat transfer in a vehicle radiator are conduction (transferring through the walls of the fins/tank of the rad) and convection (transferring it to the fluid [air, is this case] traveling through/around the radiator.)

HTH,
Marq

Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: MoparMarq] #621640
02/23/10 04:47 PM
02/23/10 04:47 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

Quote:

Both are true.

Heat is transmitted by 3 different methods. Conduction: traveling within the material of an object (why the wire you're soldering is getting hot further up the wire from the solder location)
Convection: moving via air (or water) transfer to another object (hence, convection oven). Radiation: radiating the energy to the surrounding atmosphere or space. (Used commonly on spacecraft for supercooling components.)

Dark surfaces radiate better than light surfaces. But dark colors absorb light well also. They get hotter simply because they absorb light energy faster than they can radiate it. So even though light colored cars do absorb energy and radiate it to some degree, the main mechanism is reflecting the energy in the first place instead of absorbing it.

A black radiator will radiate better, but the main mechanisms for heat transfer in a vehicle radiator are conduction (transferring through the walls of the fins/tank of the rad) and convection (transferring it to the fluid [air, is this case] traveling through/around the radiator.)

HTH,
Marq

right!

I fail to understand how putting paint on bare metal will make it transfer heat better? I could understand it if the material color options were white or black, but in a radiator, the metal is the color of whatever metal you have, and I would think that putting paint on top of it would only act as insulation.

I believe radiators were painted black because they felt a black radiator was cosmetically more appealing than seeing a bright orange core through the grill

if painting a bare core made it transfer heat better...then why do all new autos come with a bare aluminum radiator core?

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: 70Cuda383] #621641
02/23/10 04:50 PM
02/23/10 04:50 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

if painting a bare core made it transfer heat better...then why do all new autos come with a bare aluminum radiator core?

To save money I would imagine...since the tanks are plastic, and the core is aluminum, there is nothing that will oxidize and look bad to consumers, so why not leave it ?

And a buddy of mine here worked at Alpine for quite a long time, he was in amplifier design for a while and they did a bunch of tests to see which was the best coating to help shed head from them...a matte black finish tested (and as said, should have basically) to be the best thing to help them shed heat.

Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: 70Cuda383] #621642
02/23/10 05:15 PM
02/23/10 05:15 PM
ne
B
broncobra Offline
mopar
broncobra  Offline
mopar
B

ne
I was always taught and told that a black radiator would shed heat more efficiently. The only reason I can think of on the newer ones is because they design them with better capacity/tolerances, ie., more tubes, etc. or they don't need the transfer because of lower horsepower? Copper/brass is actually far more efficient than aluminum at dissapating heat. Aluminum is only good because they can put more tubes in the core. But you are WAY better off if you can use a copper brass bigger radiator than aluminum. Just the laws of physics.

Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: broncobra] #621643
02/23/10 05:47 PM
02/23/10 05:47 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

I was always taught and told that a black radiator would shed heat more efficiently. The only reason I can think of on the newer ones is because they design them with better capacity/tolerances, ie., more tubes, etc. or they don't need the transfer because of lower horsepower? Copper/brass is actually far more efficient than aluminum at dissapating heat. Aluminum is only good because they can put more tubes in the core. But you are WAY better off if you can use a copper brass bigger radiator than aluminum. Just the laws of physics.

Kinda off topic here, but aluminum rads are better than brass / copper at removing heat - not because aluminum is a better conductor, but because you can make the tubes bigger with aluminum than brass ( it's stronger ) so you don't need as many rows of tubes for the same flow. Heat transfer efficiency drops way off with the 3rd & 4th rows of tubes ( over 50% )on big brass radiators. Aluminum rads usually only have 2 rows of tubes, but the tubes are big - 1/2". Same flow as 3 -4 row brass rads, but better heat transfer on the 2nd row verses the 3rd and 4th rows of brass rads. Did I mention lighter

Fastest 300
Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: Crizila] #621644
02/23/10 07:29 PM
02/23/10 07:29 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

Quote:

Kinda off topic here, but aluminum rads are better than brass / copper at removing heat - not because aluminum is a better conductor, but because you can make the tubes bigger with aluminum than brass ( it's stronger ) so you don't need as many rows of tubes for the same flow. Heat transfer efficiency drops way off with the 3rd & 4th rows of tubes ( over 50% )on big brass radiators. Aluminum rads usually only have 2 rows of tubes, but the tubes are big - 1/2". Same flow as 3 -4 row brass rads, but better heat transfer on the 2nd row verses the 3rd and 4th rows of brass rads. Did I mention lighter

the stock aluminum radiator that was in my Dakota is only a 1 core radiator! but the core is 1" thick, the tubes are long and oval shaped, and it keeps my stroked, aluminum headed big block cool even when driving through traffic in 90+ heat

and the lack of paint might be a cost thing. I don't really know.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: 70Cuda383] #621645
02/23/10 09:35 PM
02/23/10 09:35 PM
F
fury4speed Offline
mopar
fury4speed  Offline
mopar
F

I have never performed a Test but not only does Black paint help a Radiator dissipate heat but I have heard that Black Lacquer is the way to go , I do not know why Lacquer is best but some say it is.

Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: OzHemi] #621646
02/23/10 09:42 PM
02/23/10 09:42 PM
F
fury4speed Offline
mopar
fury4speed  Offline
mopar
F

Quote:

Quote:

All new cars are designed to run Hotter , maybe an emissions thing , so why bother to paint the Radiator to make it run cooler , that is my guess.

Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: fury4speed] #621647
02/23/10 10:34 PM
02/23/10 10:34 PM
Ridley Park, Pa.
69MOPE Offline
super gas
69MOPE  Offline
super gas

Ridley Park, Pa.
The paint color of a component has no difference on the transfer of heat except when radiant heat from light ( sunlight or radiant lighting) can be absorbed or reflected. The color of a radiator, headers or any component that produces heat from the inside radiating out, can no way be changed by the paint color, period. Any differences found during testing this idea of color making any variation of heat transfer from inside to outside of a component would be related to paint solids difference between paint manufacturing.

Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: 69MOPE] #621648
02/23/10 11:03 PM
02/23/10 11:03 PM
Lithonia, Ga
36PLYM Offline
enthusiast
36PLYM  Offline
enthusiast

Lithonia, Ga
This is an interesting thread. I would have to agree with 69MOPE. I can not see how a different pigment in the paint would affect heat dissipation from the inside. If you took two identical radiators in a controlled environment, temperature, humidity, ventilation and NO light, induced heat into each, it would be logical that the pigment in the black paint would not make the heat dissipate any faster. Now in the real world a black radiator may seem to dissipate heat more only because it would absorb more heat from the surrounding environment and have more to dissipate. Where a light colored radiator would not absorb energy from its surrounding environment and would not have to dissipate this extra heat to start with.

36 Plymouth Coupe
318 w/360 heads
518 trans
8 3/4 rear
Ga. Tech BCE'78
Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: 70Cuda383] #621649
02/23/10 11:09 PM
02/23/10 11:09 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I believe radiators were painted black because they felt a black radiator was cosmetically more appealing than seeing a bright orange core through the grill

Makes sense to me

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: 383'D] #621650
02/23/10 11:56 PM
02/23/10 11:56 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Its a proven fact - black dissipates heat better. Its also a fact that the earth is round but there are people out there who don't believe that either. Just 'cause you don't understand it doesn't mean it isn't a fact.

Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: Stanton] #621651
02/24/10 09:08 AM
02/24/10 09:08 AM
Lithonia, Ga
36PLYM Offline
enthusiast
36PLYM  Offline
enthusiast

Lithonia, Ga
If it is a proven fact, what are the facts? Can we get some got hard scientific facts on this? I would love to believe that the earth is round!

36 Plymouth Coupe
318 w/360 heads
518 trans
8 3/4 rear
Ga. Tech BCE'78
Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: 36PLYM] #621652
02/24/10 09:38 AM
02/24/10 09:38 AM
N.E. England
Roppa440 Offline
super street
Roppa440  Offline
super street

N.E. England
Guys. It is very simple to demonstrate how painting something black makes it radiate heat faster. Get yourself one of those laser temp gauge things and try it.

But one thing is a MUST. If you are going to paint a radiator black you must use correct radiator paint. I don't know why but it works much better. I tried it.

In fact because I run a 1970 Challenger it was important to paint the front of my aluminium radiator so it could not be seen from the front through the 1970 grille. So I did. But I left the engine side of it natural aluminium so it looks trick along with the engine. Best of both worlds.

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7 LS1 2011 Alpha Romeo Giulietta Veloce 1.6 JTD Because running a Mopar in the UK is getting TOO expensive!!
Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: 36PLYM] #621653
02/24/10 09:48 AM
02/24/10 09:48 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
I find it hard to belive that if I paint my rad black it will help the car run cooler. You are in effect insulating your fins in a coat of paint, therfore restricting the amount of air that can pass between the fins. I'm guessing most are painted for looks primarily. In older cars nobody wanted to look thru a nice big chrome grill and see copper, that turns green when not treated or dull grey as aluminum tarnishes. The black paint if it does offer some cooling properties is insignificant. Just as painting an engine black to reduce heat is. I'm no scienctist but I'll wager a hemi orange engine after a full pass is w/in 5* of a black engine.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: 383'D] #621654
02/24/10 11:48 AM
02/24/10 11:48 AM
ogletownpa
383'D Offline OP
383'D  Offline OP

ogletownpa
Everything Ive learned taught me it should work.However, I need a good reason to take my shiny new trans cooler and radiator out,paint it black with eastwood radiator paint,and reinstall it in my shiny black 72 barracuda.If this Mr wizard stuff reduces temps by say, 5 degrees ? Why not. Its running cool now ,but cooler is better.The black will look better through my grill also.I can't talk them into letting me take a $150,000 camera home,or we would all know. Thanks for 5 years of knowledge to help me get my project finally done.

Re: Black radiator cools better than silver [Re: 383'D] #621655
02/24/10 12:18 PM
02/24/10 12:18 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
I'm a firm believer but physically showing proof would be difficult. You can't just run water through a black rad and expect the car to run cooler - won't happen - the temp is controlled by the thermostat. If the black rad dissipated the heat better then the thermostat would just hold the water in the block longer to maintain the temp.

The real test would be two rads side by side - one black - with same temp hot water running through them. They'd have to be in an enclosed space away from sunlight so the black wouldn't absorb heat from sunlight. You would then have to measure both the outlet temp of the water to see which had given off more heat as well as the surrounding air temp since the dissipated heat will warm the air.

Page 1 of 2 1 2