M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Hey guys,

just wondering if any of you guys drive your slickshifted 4 gears on the street at all.. I was always of the notion that they were a pain in the ass to downshift, but ive recently read that if you take every other tooth off not just the gear but the slider as well that you can downshift, and you dont have to hold the shifter in gear when driving...is this true? and would downshifting a slick shifted tranny like this require rev matching similar to a faceplate/proshift tranny?

thanks!

Re: Slickshifted trannies on the street [Re: mshred] #618809
02/20/10 04:56 PM
02/20/10 04:56 PM
Winnipeg ,Mb. CA.
chryco Offline
super stock
chryco  Offline
super stock

Winnipeg ,Mb. CA.
Don`t even bother , absolutely no point in doing so.
Unless you drive everywhere at full throttle. Syncros are your friend when you want to drive to the burger stand or sev for a slurpee.

Gas is fer washin' parts ....Alky`s fer drinkin' ...Nitro`s fer Racin'!
Re: Slickshifted trannies on the street [Re: chryco] #618810
02/20/10 08:11 PM
02/20/10 08:11 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Hey i know synchros definatly make street driving easier, but im just wondering...ive always gotten the impression that slickshifted trannies are even worse then say a proshift/faceplate tranny on the street, but then i hear that guy slike passon offer a street/strip slickshift mod and it has something to do with removing every other tooth of the gears and sliders, or maybe just the sliders? (though i dont think doing the sliders only would help much)...but im not sure so im looking for opinions from those who have done it before

Re: Slickshifted trannies on the street [Re: mshred] #618811
02/20/10 10:26 PM
02/20/10 10:26 PM
Mooresville, NC
A70Runner Offline
super stock
A70Runner  Offline
super stock

Mooresville, NC
I ran a "slick shift" trans on the street. Downshifting wasn't a real problem (but then again I was also driving a tractor trailer at the time) But the car would jump out of 3rd and 4th as soon as you let off the gas. I would not recommend it.

"People Think I'm Insane Because I Am Frowning All The Time" Black Sabbath
Re: Slickshifted trannies on the street [Re: mshred] #618812
02/21/10 01:04 AM
02/21/10 01:04 AM
Winnipeg ,Mb. CA.
chryco Offline
super stock
chryco  Offline
super stock

Winnipeg ,Mb. CA.
Quote:

Hey i know synchros definatly make street driving easier, but im just wondering...ive always gotten the impression that slickshifted trannies are even worse then say a proshift/faceplate tranny on the street, but then i hear that guy slike passon offer a street/strip slickshift mod and it has something to do with removing every other tooth of the gears and sliders, or maybe just the sliders? (though i dont think doing the sliders only would help much)...but im not sure so im looking for opinions from those who have done it before

A trans with every other tooth off the syncros IS the definition of a "slick shifted " trans.
Chryco

Last edited by chryco; 02/21/10 10:37 AM.
Re: Slickshifted trannies on the street [Re: chryco] #618813
02/21/10 01:33 AM
02/21/10 01:33 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
So what are you trying to do? You could run a top fuel funny car on the street, just not to practical. I've run a slick shifted 833 on the street , it is as you say every other tooth ground off the syncro gear and out of the slider. The brass rings are completely removed .If you plan on doing this , you had better get some industrial carbide bits , { not Harbor Freight } and a large air compressor, that metal is very hard. The cost of the carbide bits will cost as much as Liberty Gears pro shifted parts. Also you will have to hold it in gear, and you will have to keep replacing the gears as they wear rapidly on the street, remember, no syncro's , crunching into every gear.If you want to run a race type trans on the street get with Liberty and get a face plated set up for your trans.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Slickshifted trannies on the street [Re: rowin4] #618814
02/21/10 11:08 AM
02/21/10 11:08 AM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
chryco, i know what a slickshifted tranny is...just wasnt sure if it was defined as every other tooth off just the gear, or off the synchro as well...thats it

rowin4, i just asked a simple question since i didnt know what slickshifts were like...whether or not people want to drive trannys without synchros on the street (and i already know fully what it entails thanks) is their choice...i just wanted to know about the slickshift mod...it seems like faceplating would be the way i would go without synchros