02/16/10 01:41 PM
02/16/10 01:41 PM
NC
chris3 Offline
mopar
chris3  Offline
mopar

NC
In reading all of the defense of NHRA, i'm not sure how I'm going to start this.

I raced my first race in 1960. NHRA was started, on the West Coast, by Mr. Wally Parks in an effort to make drag racing safer. They celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Winter Nationals at Pomona and the only mention of Wally Parks was a small brief mention in talking about the Nostalgia coral. Before everyone gets defensive, I spoke with my old Division Director yesterday and we talked about the lack of credit to Wally. Went home and watch the show, twice, again last night.

There was no crowd at the Winter Nationals. Re-watch the TV coverage, go to Competition Plus look at the photos, Class Racer look at the photos, and others. Average "Joe" can not go to an NHRA event at the current prices. Before everyone gets defensive, I attended the race at Z-max last year,as a spectator. Admission ticket for one day is $55 go get a hotdog, french fies and a drink $23. Now all this said, hopefully you ate breakfast before you got into the track and that the race ends before supper time. Hopefully you like to go to the races alone other wise if it is you, your wife and grandkid then the prices go three times. Yes, children have to pay also,and they will want more than one hot dog.

Heaven, an First Bank of America, help you if you have a old super stock car and want to race NHRA. First of all, you "can not" race at a National Event unless you are a Past Champion or in the case of Division 2, you have traveled all over the country, no races in our state, paid your travel expenses, entry fees $250, insurance fees, bought all of the latest safety equipment to go run at several division races to accumulate "Grade Points" then you have a chance to apply to race. The opinion of a 60+ year old drag racer who still enjoys a week-end out to the racing with his Wife, Children and Grandchildren, $$John Force and Don Schumacher$$ and the executives who got free passes, will be all that is left to race NHRA.

IHRA is changing their format with a little more respect to the racers that got them here. Talk to some people who have already raced under the new program. Go on Class Racers Stock and Super Stock and hear the experiences. AHRA is coming back. AHRA was really prior to IHRA.

Forgive me but, ADRA and Pinks All Out are giving the people what they want to see and at an affordable price. Pinks All Out two day show entry fee for 2 days $60. Spectators $25-$30 and children free, just get them a seat ticket. Park your race car in the pits race all day, pitch your tent beside your car, fire up the charcoal grill and its a community party. Family and friends all together.

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: CHAPPER] #612957
02/16/10 03:52 PM
02/16/10 03:52 PM
Chowchilla,ca
Chassisman Offline
master
Chassisman  Offline
master

Chowchilla,ca
Quote:

I agree with the 'cameras not showing crowd count'
that is the same thing NASCAR does when the spectators are absent. They both know the economy is in the gutter but seem to believe that there are people watching on TV that don't know it! They always announce "Sell Out Crowd" "Standing Room Only" etc. I know for a fact that there were around 30,000 empty seats at Bristol (of ALL places) recently! Daytona appeared to have a decent crowd. First race of season? NHRA...not so good. NHRA will start taking a GOOD look at NOSTALGIA racing before long! Any bets?

NHRA already has a Nostalgia series...it's called the Heritage series and kicks off at the March Meet at Famoso in Bakersfield.....after the March Meet the series is a joke...lest year in Phoneix they had something like 72 cars total at the race vs 500+ plus entered for the March Meet...NHRA is a JOKE all around. I havent been a member for 5 years now and wont EVER be one again... I'll stick to the March Meet every year because its one heck of a party...and I'll keep supporting a true nostalgia series like the ANRA...Butch Hedrick has the plan.... www.anra.com

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: Chassisman] #612958
02/16/10 05:24 PM
02/16/10 05:24 PM
Georgia
M
moparjimbo60 Offline
enthusiast
moparjimbo60  Offline
enthusiast
M

Georgia
i said it once i will say it again, the nhra has lost its ability to allow creativity and individual engeneering to take place. when i was a kid watching drag racing i loved to go because you never knew what was going to show up at the track that day. a 3 engine dragster, maybe a 4 wheel drive dragster. i know its all about safety i dont argue that but when i see cookie cutter cars leave with the wheels 2 inches off the ground a run straight as an arrow, its like watching paint dry. after 3 sets of cars im headed to go get a 6 dollar hotdog, cause its better than watching super comp.

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: moparjimbo60] #612959
02/16/10 08:49 PM
02/16/10 08:49 PM
Motown USA
Wile1coyote Offline
I Live Here
Wile1coyote  Offline
I Live Here

Motown USA
I attended the race, flew out from Detroit to be there. Was certainly glad I did, it was historic, it was fun, it was warm and I had a great time. It was not cheap however. Was at the track every day and numbers certainly increased each day but I would have to agree they were not full on Sunday, prob 90% though and in this economy that is saying lots. Some of what you prob saw on TV is that the West side of the track is a PITA to get to and some people didn't want to make the trek. The souveneir tents were doing a brisk bizness, the drivers all had swarms around them in the pits and I had to wait in line a number of times for chow so they are doing OK crowd wise.

The area set up with the older slingshots and such was sweet but it was even better seeing the Nostalgia funny cars run.

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: chris3] #612960
02/16/10 09:06 PM
02/16/10 09:06 PM
Hobart,Indiana
MoparPitBull Offline
Hollywood
MoparPitBull  Offline
Hollywood

Hobart,Indiana
Very well said.

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: MoparPitBull] #612961
02/16/10 11:32 PM
02/16/10 11:32 PM
Russiaville, IN
mopar376d Offline
enthusiast
mopar376d  Offline
enthusiast

Russiaville, IN
Like John Force or not, his car was on. It was like a bracket car running 4.12.

The old man even had some decent lights.

Why does divorce cost so much? Because it is worth it!!!!!
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: Wile1coyote] #612962
02/17/10 12:25 AM
02/17/10 12:25 AM
Chowchilla,ca
Chassisman Offline
master
Chassisman  Offline
master

Chowchilla,ca
Quote:

I attended the race, flew out from Detroit to be there. Was certainly glad I did, it was historic, it was fun, it was warm and I had a great time. It was not cheap however. Was at the track every day and numbers certainly increased each day but I would have to agree they were not full on Sunday, prob 90% though and in this economy that is saying lots. Some of what you prob saw on TV is that the West side of the track is a PITA to get to and some people didn't want to make the trek. The souveneir tents were doing a brisk bizness, the drivers all had swarms around them in the pits and I had to wait in line a number of times for chow so they are doing OK crowd wise.

The area set up with the older slingshots and such was sweet but it was even better seeing the Nostalgia funny cars run.

Well...at the March Meet...they will be running a 32...YES....32 car Nostalgia Funny car field in eliminations...INSANE !!!!!!!

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: mopar376d] #612963
02/17/10 12:36 AM
02/17/10 12:36 AM
State of retirement
52savoy Offline
master
52savoy  Offline
master

State of retirement
Quote:

Like John Force or not, his car was on. It was like a bracket car running 4.12.

The old man even had some decent lights.

I'm still fuming at NHRA for allowing fuel cars to have ford, chevy or toyota sponsors and run cloned Chrysler Hemi motors. yeah I know..$$$$

John Force? It's not about liking the man. It's about giving equal coverage to all the other teams that work hard and spend millions to make the sport what it is.
It gets tiring watching interviews of fuel car drivers while they are running Pro/Stock. They can waste time showing a fuel car engine tear down but they can't give Pro/Stock it's due?

..and how about spending more time with the teams that are new or have smaller budgets but still manage to try and qualify? I'm sure their sponsors would love it.

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: Mr.Yuck] #612964
02/17/10 12:58 AM
02/17/10 12:58 AM
Hinterland SE Qld Aust
S
SG duster Offline
mopar
SG duster  Offline
mopar
S

Hinterland SE Qld Aust
Quote:

Racing is racing, it changes. It went form the beach to the track in Daytona. Cars get faster, rules change. deal with it. There are still plenty of classes you can race in. If you are strickly talking about TV coverage and only showing the top 3-4 catagories what would you like them to do? The have to edit it down into a managable time period. Not a lot of people can sit thru and watch a complete NHRA day. At the end of the day it's still guys and gals in cars w/ big enigines going really fast. It takes a lot of skill to pedal those cars down the 1/4 mile or 1000 feet as it stands. The fact that JF is on all the time is becasue maybe he's the kookiest guy in the pits. He always has too much too say it's an easy interview. As for the lack of Dodges, it's an effect of the current economy and the lack of any real product to race. Don't like it watch poker or girls soccer....

Do you guys get coverage of 3 or 4 catagories?? here in Australia we get coverage for one catorgry only, our fuelers, top slammas, our pro stocks & nitro bikes, thats prety much it, zero sportsman racing yet as we have the biggist feilds at any meeting & we are charged a fee for the tv coverage weather like it or not but never get to see our classes racing or hear any results,

you guys seem to have it pretty good

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: 52savoy] #612965
02/17/10 01:16 AM
02/17/10 01:16 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Quote:

John Force? It's not about liking the man. It's about giving equal coverage to all the other teams that work hard and spend millions to make the sport what it is.
It gets tiring watching interviews of fuel car drivers while they are running Pro/Stock. They can waste time showing a fuel car engine tear down but they can't give Pro/Stock it's due?

..and how about spending more time with the teams that are new or have smaller budgets but still manage to try and qualify? I'm sure their sponsors would love it.

The TV coverage has very little to do with what NHRA wants, and everything to do with what ESPN wants!!! This is not the ole Diamond P days when NHRA suits were in the editing room!! Ever seen how nervous Graham Light gets when they poke a camera at him???

I can't blame ESPN for hyping the Force team, because they are consistantly there!! Remember when they tried to hype T. Shumacher VS Hot Rod Fuller?? Then Fuller's deal fell apart and he was gone!! It's not good for ESPN when the casual fan can't follow a story line from week to week.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: SG duster] #612966
02/17/10 09:49 AM
02/17/10 09:49 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

Racing is racing, it changes. It went form the beach to the track in Daytona. Cars get faster, rules change. deal with it. There are still plenty of classes you can race in. If you are strickly talking about TV coverage and only showing the top 3-4 catagories what would you like them to do? The have to edit it down into a managable time period. Not a lot of people can sit thru and watch a complete NHRA day. At the end of the day it's still guys and gals in cars w/ big enigines going really fast. It takes a lot of skill to pedal those cars down the 1/4 mile or 1000 feet as it stands. The fact that JF is on all the time is becasue maybe he's the kookiest guy in the pits. He always has too much too say it's an easy interview. As for the lack of Dodges, it's an effect of the current economy and the lack of any real product to race. Don't like it watch poker or girls soccer....

Do you guys get coverage of 3 or 4 catagories?? here in Australia we get coverage for one catorgry only, our fuelers, top slammas, our pro stocks & nitro bikes, thats prety much it, zero sportsman racing yet as we have the biggist feilds at any meeting & we are charged a fee for the tv coverage weather like it or not but never get to see our classes racing or hear any results,

They show T/F dragster, T/F funny car, Pro Stock and sometimes they toss in Pro Bike. Usually tape delay so they can edit out all the track clean up and compress it into a 2 hour window.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: Mr.Yuck] #612967
02/17/10 10:07 AM
02/17/10 10:07 AM
St. Louis Mo.
10 o to go Offline OP
"Happy Don"
10 o to go  Offline OP
"Happy Don"

St. Louis Mo.
Wow 2 pages of comments on a sign .
I've raced AHRA,IHRA,NHRA since the mid 70s .
I remember when I could race my car 12sec at the national events .They would use us as filler and give us a bracket program to race in.

Sometimes i wonder if the pro classes are paid like a retainer contract to perform show up .

Like some have said the passion to race would be to load up and follow the circus .

I believe the most spectators aren't the weekend racers and couldn't grasp that part .
Thier has be drama in NHRA and NASCAR ,thier like a realality show .
don

2009 418" build dan smith built new 9.96 131.82 6.23 108 1.30 60 foot best to date 9/15/09 8in 727 430 dana 2860 lb 3040 lb w driver
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: 10 o to go] #612968
02/17/10 10:15 AM
02/17/10 10:15 AM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

twocents:Thier has be drama in NHRA and NASCAR ,thier like a realality show .
don

And like reality shows, no substance - and they won't last.

Fastest 300
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: Crizila] #612969
02/17/10 10:38 AM
02/17/10 10:38 AM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
The Pros don`t pay to enter National events and crewmembers don`t either. Yet the sportsman racers ( Stk, S/S. S/G etc) have to pay several hundred dollars to enter each event and pay extra for crewmembers. and they use that money as prize money for the Pros. Yeah thats Fair! I used to go to Englishtown, I only went to watch Stock, Super/ Stock and a little Pro Stock and hang out/see a few sportsman racers I know. I used to go on Fridays because it wasn`t much but know even thats expensive. What it costs to go on Friday is equal to one regular race day entry to go on a Sunday its two weeks entry for my race car. Fridays of the National meet was great I would see many of my racing friends from my own track and others but the last couple of years the amount of people I would see has dwindled.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: Mr.Yuck] #612970
02/17/10 10:52 AM
02/17/10 10:52 AM
Motown USA
Wile1coyote Offline
I Live Here
Wile1coyote  Offline
I Live Here

Motown USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They show T/F dragster, T/F funny car, Pro Stock and sometimes they toss in Pro Bike. Usually tape delay so they can edit out all the track clean up and compress it into a 2 hour window.

AND then they have a seperate show that airs usually about a week after the race is over that covers the Sportsmen classes. SuperComp, Comp etc. That show is usually an hour so not a ton of coverage but at least it is something.

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: Wile1coyote] #612971
02/17/10 08:05 PM
02/17/10 08:05 PM
toledo, ohio
plasticfantastic Offline
top fuel
plasticfantastic  Offline
top fuel

toledo, ohio
The next race will be about team force, and John specifically,

Race Day will be interviews with Force, (not becuase its Force, but because he won the winternationals).

at the next race they will replay the funny car finals, they will talk all about how long it was since force won last, the dry spell is over. FORCE IS BACK... blah blah blah, so just a heads up ok? Be prepared.

I dont care who they talk about, who they interview, I dont care what little window pops up in the middle of a class coverage, I dont care if they show Wally Parks coming back from the dead and runs a Top Fueler into the 2 second zone, as they show pro stock, I'm just happy about being able to watch racing coverage, I remember what it used to be like.

I dont want to watch coverage and they talk about the one hit race wonders, some guy gets a one race sponsorship, qualifies #14 and gets his butt kicked first round, WOOOOO lets give him coverage...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3