02/15/10 01:58 PM
Winnipeg ,Mb. CA.
chryco Offline
super stock
chryco  Offline
super stock

Winnipeg ,Mb. CA.
Quote:

I saw a lot of empty seats especialy on the spectator side. Yes NHRA did a lot of great things in the past and makes it possible for most of us to race. But the last couple of years the mgmt has made a lot of bad decisions and they are in it for the $$$ losing sight of what is the backbone of the sport , bracket racers and sportsman racers. They are after the " Big Show , Big $$$" which is losing its appeal rapidly. Stars are leaving the sport and how long can they continue to survive and appeal to the fan carrying on about the Forces and the Dixon/ Schumacher rivalry? They refuse to believe that there is anything wrong with the economy and have done nothing to easen the financial burden on the sportsman/bracket racer, to make more money to line their pockets they double fees and raise ticket prices and entry fees.

One thing that grinds my gears is the completely inane process of making my perfectly good safety equipment obsolete when there`s NOTHING wrong with it . This policy might be great for big time racers , not the little guy who just likes to get out with his / her car when time permits.
Chryco

5805849-IMG_1485.jpg (51 downloads)

Gas is fer washin' parts ....Alky`s fer drinkin' ...Nitro`s fer Racin'!
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: BobR] #612937
02/15/10 02:16 PM
02/15/10 02:16 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

Quote:

Almost unwatchable.....except for the few minutes of prostock. Unless of course you happen to be in love with the whole Force thing.

The coverage is geared towards automotive simpletons.

If it weren't for the NHRA there would be no drag racing. Think about that before crapping on them.

Sure there would.

Rt.25 is right down the street from me....

Dead flat, 3 lanes of concrete, with shoulders, limited on/off ramps, hardly any traffic at night. Just perfect.

If NHRA folded today, I wouldn't lose a seconds sleep.

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: cgall] #612938
02/15/10 02:57 PM
02/15/10 02:57 PM
Newark,Ohio
kissmyaspen Offline
pro stock
kissmyaspen  Offline
pro stock

Newark,Ohio
Quote:

If you watch the 1000 ft. video from the weekend, most of the drivers are still not pulling the chutes until after the 1/4 mile. On long tracks like Pomona, the fuel cars hardly even need the chutes. Arend and Capps both had the chutes not blossom fully, and easily made the turn.

The 1000 ft. racing is crap. Many cars are blowing up, crossing the centerline, etc. on the shorter track. And the grandstand past the 1000 ft. yesterday was completely empty.

Pomona's shut down is shorter than National Trails..then past the sand there is a nice guard rail and then the road, plus a couple of those guys took the corner way to fast..

79 Dodge Aspen
12.265 at 109.75 MPH

67 Satellite NSS/E
11.83 @ 110

1968 Plymouth Road Runner 472 Hemi

3 time MOPAR NATIONALS CHAMP '03 FWD and '06 & '09 Street.
'07, '10, '12 Mopar Nats runner-up Street.
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: 11secdart] #612939
02/15/10 03:03 PM
02/15/10 03:03 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

I saw a lot of empty seats especialy on the spectator side.

I have not seen a recent ESPN coverage but I remember from even BEFORE the most recent "meltdown" .... like at Rt66 .... ESPN would AVOID areas of the stands that were deserted.

NHRA has priced-themselves OUT OF THE MARKET for many people.

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: dOc !] #612940
02/15/10 03:17 PM
02/15/10 03:17 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
I agree with the 'cameras not showing crowd count'
that is the same thing NASCAR does when the spectators are absent. They both know the economy is in the gutter but seem to believe that there are people watching on TV that don't know it! They always announce "Sell Out Crowd" "Standing Room Only" etc. I know for a fact that there were around 30,000 empty seats at Bristol (of ALL places) recently! Daytona appeared to have a decent crowd. First race of season? NHRA...not so good. NHRA will start taking a GOOD look at NOSTALGIA racing before long! Any bets?

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: CHAPPER] #612941
02/15/10 03:41 PM
02/15/10 03:41 PM
Brea, Ca
D
Dart Racer Offline
mopar
Dart Racer  Offline
mopar
D

Brea, Ca
Quote:

NHRA will start taking a GOOD look at NOSTALGIA racing before long! Any bets?

I was there on Saturday and right after the pros ran the Nostalgia funny cars were up, and sadly the fans left the stands in droves..... so not sure Nostalgia will save them (NHRA) either. I'm 63 so stayed for every minute of the Nostalgia car runs. Sure would have enjoyed seeing the Hawaiian car run plus several others that were there.

My other complaint at the event was that the speaker system was horrible! Jack in the box makes a better system. We couldn't understand a word that was said.......

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: 11secdart] #612942
02/15/10 04:30 PM
02/15/10 04:30 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

I saw a lot of empty seats especialy on the spectator side. Yes NHRA did a lot of great things in the past and makes it possible for most of us to race. But the last couple of years the mgmt has made a lot of bad decisions and they are in it for the $$$ losing sight of what is the backbone of the sport , bracket racers and sportsman racers. They are after the " Big Show , Big $$$" which is losing its appeal rapidly. Stars are leaving the sport and how long can they continue to survive and appeal to the fan carrying on about the Forces and the Dixon/ Schumacher rivalry? They refuse to believe that there is anything wrong with the economy and have done nothing to easen the financial burden on the sportsman/bracket racer, to make more money to line their pockets they double fees and raise ticket prices and entry fees.

I've seen the changes over 40 plus years. Personnally, it's disgusting. No way it can continue in the same direction it has been going - and the flash bang four lane extravaganza is just another example of the wrong direction. Too bad it always has to be "all about the money". Hope AHRA is ready to jump in soon.

Fastest 300
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: Crizila] #612943
02/15/10 09:55 PM
02/15/10 09:55 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Bob R,
You're dead-on my friend, but many of our compadres can't see the forrest for the trees.

1000 ft. Racing: The facilities can't handle the speeds the fuel cars are capable of.. PERIOD!!! END OF STATEMENT!!
320 at a 1000ft..these cars are simply unbelievable, the most incredible machines anywhere. The problem is they are too expensive to build, too expensive to maintain, and too expensive to race in this economic climate. But the spoiled rotten, crybaby NHRA Nitro Fan, says "Turn them loose, let them run 350 to the 1/4, build better facilities, to contain them, and by the way I want a perfect seat for 20$".

Sponsors: sponsors/advertisers are leaving all kinds of sports, not just motorsports, Golf, football, basketball,..all of them are scrambling to replace lost revenue right now.

The only way NHRA and drag racing is going to continue is to try and reduce the cost of competing, and I'm not talking entry fees or licensing, I'm talking rules such as the "no exotic materials" rule in Pro Stock. The fuel cars need limits on fuel pumps and mags similar to the nostalgia cars..WE MUST GO BACKWARDS on performance in an attempt to limit cost so guys like McMillen, Bodie, Tuttle, the Pedregons, Hartleys, can continue to survive in this sport.

Facilities: many of the top notch, world class facilities that we attend to watch or race Pinks All Out, PSCA heads up, Summit bracket racing, our favorite all-Mopar event etc. would dissapear if the NHRA Full Throttle National Event Series fails. They count on this once or twice a year cash cow to keep the gates open and stay solvent!!!

The current economic situation has me on the sidelines, and unable to compete at NHRA Nationals, and Divisionals this season...I hope when I am able to return and support them that I still have a place to race!!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: MoparBilly] #612944
02/15/10 11:41 PM
02/15/10 11:41 PM
Byron, NY
W.I.N. Racing Offline
top fuel
W.I.N. Racing  Offline
top fuel

Byron, NY
NHRA and IHRA are turning their backs on the trditional drag fan(one that know's the sport inside and out, would spend the weekend sleeping on a pile of rocks just to be there) and are looking for the "fan" that wants to go to the races then stop for a quick meal on the way to the movies. No Die Hards welcome...they are trying to dumb it down to the simpelest observer, problem is with this economy the simple observer can only afford the movies...

Last edited by W.I.N. racing; 02/15/10 11:41 PM.

'01 P1500, Blown/Inj BAE,/Veney ,Bruno/CS2,Dana 60
'01 Dodge 3500 S Cummins Auto, Fresh air kit, 4" Exhaust,
'05 Dodge Magnum R/T - Too Much to list
'60 Willys CJ5
'01 International LPX - Project,DT466, Allison
'64 Plymouth Valiant, Inj 528 Hemi, 2spd
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: 10 o to go] #612945
02/16/10 12:54 AM
02/16/10 12:54 AM
Between a rock & a hard place
C
cudadoug Offline
master
cudadoug  Offline
master
C

Between a rock & a hard place
Quote:

saw this on another website .

I don't usually get involved in NHRA "political" discussions, but feel the points on this sign need a counterpoint:

1/4 MILE-LESS: We're also Scott Kallita-less. Where's that on their sign? I DO NOT agree with the choice of how to slow the fuel cars down (HELLO NHRA: Single mags and single pumps!!) but they reacted to a serious situation the quickest way they knew how. I have attended four National Events since the 1000' foot deal and I hear WAY more gripes about having to sit through the sportsman classes that are 1/4 mile. I understand tradition, but those guys beating on the traditional band wagon, shouldn't support their local 1/8 mile track either, right?

US SMOKELESS-LESS: THIS is what killed that deal: http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/food-stores/4486530-1.html Guess what? That's the same reason we're WINSTON-LESS!

BUD-LESS: Don't blame NHRA. Blame the IDIOTS at InBev. ALL sponsorships have been reduced; the NASCAR program was cut 20%. They offered KB a deal, but it was quite a bit less than the current contract. While other guys are taking LESS from the sponsors to keep their "deals" and pulling the balance from their own pockets, KB wasn't going to do that. I used to be a AB vendor. InBev came to me and said they were reducing my rates about 15% across the board. My reply was...let's just say we're not doing business together anymore.

SNAKE-LESS. Now that's a darn shame. But see the US SMOKELESS-LESS paragraph. Did NHRA do all they could to help him? Probably not; they have their own issues. But for a company not to step up and back the Snake and a very marketable driver baffles me. Snake said it: He wanted enough to run a 1st class team and contend for the championship and it wasn't there. Tells me he probably was offered deals, but for far less than he's worth...can't blame him

MEMPHIS-LESS: The balance sheet of a NHRA (or ANY track for that matter) is up to the track, itself. They weren't making it on the balance sheet and it's toast. Just like ANY company. NHRA hosted a National Event there, how is their demise NHRA's fault?

NHRA doesn't care about that sign, those 2 morons PAID to get in!! THAT is clue-less!!

Last edited by cudadoug; 02/16/10 01:03 AM.
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: chryco] #612946
02/16/10 01:01 AM
02/16/10 01:01 AM
Worst Weather USA
493_DART Offline
master
493_DART  Offline
master

Worst Weather USA
Quote:

Quote:

One thing that grinds my gears is the completely inane process of making my perfectly good safety equipment obsolete when there`s NOTHING wrong with it . This policy might be great for big time racers , not the little guy who just likes to get out with his / her car when time permits.
Chryco

agree 100% .

Just another way for NHRA to financially rape the racers that support them. The SFI is also getting a cut of that.

I had to buy belts last year. My "old" ones were in MINT / PRISTINE condition.

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: 493_DART] #612947
02/16/10 07:57 AM
02/16/10 07:57 AM
Wichita Kansas
B Dartman Offline
master
B Dartman  Offline
master

Wichita Kansas
Even Mike Dunn is playing "the role" more and more... Suit & Tie on the starting line 11 AM for first pair of TF screaming..."Gentleman Light Em Up" An immediate turn off (Maybe "Fire em up" might of worked better considering they weren't even cranked yet). And yes...like many pointed out...too much Force air time. Seemed his rants about being back and ready for the fight probably all in response to his laying down at Indy last year. Suspect that sting still has its bite. Since it's really all we got, I watch it in 5-10 minute snap shots then flip channels. Fell asleep by the semis

B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Mopar Muscle (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1971-dodge-dart-destiny-determination/
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Dodge Garage (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/showcase/2019/04/destiny-determination.html
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger early build pictures (Sold Dec 2021): https://s165.photobucket.com/user/Billswild440dart/library/
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: B Dartman] #612948
02/16/10 10:59 AM
02/16/10 10:59 AM
NC
DCM71cuda Offline
pro stock
DCM71cuda  Offline
pro stock

NC
Quote:

On long tracks like Pomona, the fuel cars hardly even need the chutes

Pomona is practically the shortest track on the circuit.

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: MoparBilly] #612949
02/16/10 11:01 AM
02/16/10 11:01 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Bob R,
You're dead-on my friend, but many of our compadres can't see the forrest for the trees.

1000 ft. Racing: The facilities can't handle the speeds the fuel cars are capable of.. PERIOD!!! END OF STATEMENT!!
320 at a 1000ft..these cars are simply unbelievable, the most incredible machines anywhere. The problem is they are too expensive to build, too expensive to maintain, and too expensive to race in this economic climate. But the spoiled rotten, crybaby NHRA Nitro Fan, says "Turn them loose, let them run 350 to the 1/4, build better facilities, to contain them, and by the way I want a perfect seat for 20$".

Sponsors: sponsors/advertisers are leaving all kinds of sports, not just motorsports, Golf, football, basketball,..all of them are scrambling to replace lost revenue right now.

The only way NHRA and drag racing is going to continue is to try and reduce the cost of competing, and I'm not talking entry fees or licensing, I'm talking rules such as the "no exotic materials" rule in Pro Stock. The fuel cars need limits on fuel pumps and mags similar to the nostalgia cars..WE MUST GO BACKWARDS on performance in an attempt to limit cost so guys like McMillen, Bodie, Tuttle, the Pedregons, Hartleys, can continue to survive in this sport.

Facilities: many of the top notch, world class facilities that we attend to watch or race Pinks All Out, PSCA heads up, Summit bracket racing, our favorite all-Mopar event etc. would dissapear if the NHRA Full Throttle National Event Series fails. They count on this once or twice a year cash cow to keep the gates open and stay solvent!!!

The current economic situation has me on the sidelines, and unable to compete at NHRA Nationals, and Divisionals this season...I hope when I am able to return and support them that I still have a place to race!!

And you, Mopar Billy, are exactly right. I've got NOTHING to add.

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: B Dartman] #612950
02/16/10 11:13 AM
02/16/10 11:13 AM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Drag racing used to be about drag racing. Now it's about entertainment / personalities, cause that's where the $ is. Look what's on TV these days. That should give you a clue as to where NHRA has headed. Again, all about the $. One event during the entire year packs the stands at my home track. The wheel standing championship - and the big ink goes to the guy that flips over. The big draw has nothing to do with drag racing and the people in the stands - they ain't drag racers. The track owners don't care as long as the stands are full - again, all about the $. Very few people that go to the track these days are impressed with a slant 6 in a dart running in the mid 12's. They can't relate.

Fastest 300
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: Crizila] #612951
02/16/10 11:38 AM
02/16/10 11:38 AM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Hopefully there are ways to help the teams compete financially. I just don't think the 1,000 foot rule has hurt the fuel classes like some people think, people still fill the stands for it.
We go to the US Nationals every year and are always amazed at how many people leave the stands when Pro Stock comes to the line. Then when the Pro Stock Bikes show up, half the stands empty out. I sit and watch every Stock, Super Stock, Comp, and Pro Stock run down the track but that is probably unusual. The Super Gas and Super Comp classes have a tough time gaining my attention. I want to see cars run flat out from the green light to the finish line.

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: 10 o to go] #612952
02/16/10 12:15 PM
02/16/10 12:15 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
Racing is racing, it changes. It went form the beach to the track in Daytona. Cars get faster, rules change. deal with it. There are still plenty of classes you can race in. If you are strickly talking about TV coverage and only showing the top 3-4 catagories what would you like them to do? The have to edit it down into a managable time period. Not a lot of people can sit thru and watch a complete NHRA day. At the end of the day it's still guys and gals in cars w/ big enigines going really fast. It takes a lot of skill to pedal those cars down the 1/4 mile or 1000 feet as it stands. The fact that JF is on all the time is becasue maybe he's the kookiest guy in the pits. He always has too much too say it's an easy interview. As for the lack of Dodges, it's an effect of the current economy and the lack of any real product to race. Don't like it watch poker or girls soccer....

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: Mr.Yuck] #612953
02/16/10 12:25 PM
02/16/10 12:25 PM
md
M
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Offline
I Live Here
M

md
Quote:

Fell asleep by the semis

Funny thing is I couldn`t wait for the start of the season and then half way through the first race of the year I fell asleep too. Either I was real tired or very bored.

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: mopars4ever] #612954
02/16/10 12:56 PM
02/16/10 12:56 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

Quote:

Fell asleep by the semis

Funny thing is I couldn`t wait for the start of the season and then half way through the first race of the year I fell asleep too. Either I was real tired or very bored.

What....you didn't like all the worthless non-tech bits about the nitro classes while prostock was running???

Re: NHRA fan sign of times [Re: Mr.Yuck] #612955
02/16/10 12:58 PM
02/16/10 12:58 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Guess there has to be a happy medium between grass roots racing ( the way it was initially intended ) and entertainment racing. Just feel that the grass roots racers are having to flip more and more of the entertainment bill - and getting less and less for it. A good example is Rt66. Beautiful complex. I went to the inaugural race in 99. Got a chance to listen to the complex management talk one evening the following year. The speach was all about the $ and what ever the racers / spectators could bear. The guy was for real - and he really turned me off. Never raced there. Don't intend to. Last time I checked, a bottle of water ( which you can't bring in any more - for safety reasons ??? ) was $3.50! BTW, you are allowed to make 3 passes ( T+T )- max! If it's busy, they cut that to two!

Fastest 300
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3