05/18/08 09:50 PM
05/18/08 09:50 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Anybody know if there is any significant horsepower to be had on a hi-po street/strip motor from one the hi-tech harmonic crank dampeners vs. the factory piece? I am running a fairly healthy 360 SB (317 rwhp) in a '70 Dart.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: Any HP to be gained on street from hi tech dampener? [Re: MadMatt] #59374
05/19/08 12:45 AM
05/19/08 12:45 AM
SE Michigan
F
farmington Offline
mopar addict
farmington  Offline
mopar addict
F

SE Michigan
no horsepower, safety and possibly longer engine life, but no extra horsepower.

Re: Any HP to be gained on street from hi tech dampener? [Re: MadMatt] #59375
05/19/08 12:53 AM
05/19/08 12:53 AM
Tustin, CA
P
pishta Offline
super stock
pishta  Offline
super stock
P

Tustin, CA
High tech dampeners claim to neutralize harmonics over a wider frequency than elastomer dampers which are designed to handle a very narrow harmonic, usually in the cruise rpm range. SFI dampners are rated to a higher RPM, silicon dampeners are usually lighter by about 30%, and the mechanical "Rattler" type dampers, I got no clue.

12 Grand Caravan
06 T&C
02 T&C
96 Breeze
65 Barracuda "S"
Re: Any HP to be gained on street from hi tech dampener? [Re: pishta] #59376
05/19/08 06:59 AM
05/19/08 06:59 AM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
Dampners do not make horsepower. They do allow the engien to not use as much power during running. So a good one can add wheel hp, if the one you've got now is that bad. All dampners as stated are only good over a certain frequency range, and I can't tell you what that is specifically. I'd ask ATI about it... IN terms of materials, they all do the same job, just in different ways. Personlly, I see a lot of talk about expense of internal balancing and blue printing in the machining stage. Good parts, perfectly machined and balanced will go a lot further to making power than a $600 dampner will. But keeping the blocks in good shape, allowing the parts to handle more power for a longer life sapan, that's where the dampner comes in. I personaly stay away from any fluid ones. I dont like leaks, and I ahvent seen a single one that over time doesnt leak a little. SFI simply means they have been spin tested to above 12,000 rpm IIRC. It has nothing to do with harmonic ranges.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: Any HP to be gained on street from hi tech dampener [Re: moper] #59377
05/19/08 09:45 AM
05/19/08 09:45 AM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Thanks to everyone for the info. Sounds like hi-rpm safety and reduced wear would be the primary potential gains. I do worry a bit that the factory piece is not SFI certified even though I only spin it to about 6200 rpm.

Anyone else aware of leakage problems with the fluid dampeners? Lighter does sound better, if it will still control all the vibrations as well as the heavier piece.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: Any HP to be gained on street from hi tech dampener [Re: MadMatt] #59378
05/19/08 12:51 PM
05/19/08 12:51 PM
closer to Canadian beer!
torkrules Offline
I'm neurotic
torkrules  Offline
I'm neurotic

closer to Canadian beer!
Quote:

Anyone else aware of leakage problems with the fluid dampeners? Lighter does sound better, if it will still control all the vibrations as well as the heavier piece.

The opinion of this writer do not reflect those of others on this site. There, with that disclaimer out of the way, I can tell you my experiences with fluid dampers. I had one on my 440 (10 years of service), I had one on my 496 (4 years of service), and I have one on my current Hemi (1 year so far). All of them are still alive. The one on the Hemi was built by the company that bought out Fluiddampr. I have read that some people have had problems with crank breakage, fluid gelling up.

All I can tell you is what I have experienced, which is no problems and good bearing life. From what I can interpret from the data I have read, the Fluiddampr seems to be more effective below 6000 rpm where the elastomer dampers have better numbers above 6000 RPM.

Let the games begin!