01/21/10 11:17 PM
01/21/10 11:17 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline OP
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline OP
I Live Here

the boonies
i have a proble with the idle mixture screws on my sixpack idle screws on the center carb. I can turn them all the way in and the car still runs. figured that would mean its too rich, right? I should be able to get it to die with the screws in and make it idle rough turning them out far enough.

I adjust the idle to the highest vacuum and that seems to be with the screws all the way in (or maybe 1/16th out but that may be just my imagination.

I figured that its because my throttle is open too far. idle is set at 1000 to 1050. cam makes it idle real rough (240/245 dur at .050) so i cant idle much lower. idle vacuum is about 13. most ive ever seen is 14. in gear it drops to 7 to 9

I had the timing set at 18 adv, 20 adv and locked out at 30 and 34 adv but that doesnt give me any better idle screw mixture control. just for grins, ive had the initial timing all the way into the 40's.

so now I am locked out at 32 total (416 stroker). Drilled some holes in the throttle plates to lean it out and get more air in there but still the mixture screws are best at almost all the way in.

I have promax outboard baseplates so i have tried adjusting those up and down. at least they have effect on idle in and out. oh ya, and i have the promax center carb billet metering block so that has adjustable stuff on it too but i havent changed it from the settings it came with

so, how do I fix? i was going to try locking out timing at 32, leaning out the outboards and setting mixture on center first then working the outs.

I have another center carb that doesnt have holes in the throttle plates and the stock metering block to play with.

any advice would be appreciated.

i am pretty sure theres no vacuum leaks

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: aarcuda] #590510
01/21/10 11:57 PM
01/21/10 11:57 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
They are called idle mixture screws because they adjust your carbs only when running on the idle circuits, once your primaries trip in they won't have much effect on anything. Drop your hot idle down to around 750-800 and you should be able to adjust your idle mixture. To set a baseline turn them all the way in (gently) til they stop, then back out 11/2 turns each. That should put you in the ball park to start fine tuning.

*Use caution leaning the outboards, you can melt pistons if they are set too lean, that's one reason the factory sets them and plugs them with lead so people don't accidentally burn up thier engines tinkering.

Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #590511
01/22/10 12:02 AM
01/22/10 12:02 AM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline OP
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline OP
I Live Here

the boonies
i will try it but i think ive been there before. but tomorrows another day with lots of time to play.

btw, my PV is a 3.5

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: aarcuda] #590512
01/22/10 05:33 AM
01/22/10 05:33 AM
N.E. England
Roppa440 Offline
super street
Roppa440  Offline
super street

N.E. England
Put a vacuum gauge on the spark port of the center carb. If you have any vacuum there at idle your throttle blades are not closed enough. When vacuum drops to zero there your idle circuits will work well.

Bigger than stock cams need more air and or timing at idle. The first thing you need to do is find out how much initial timing you need for your engine.
More timing will increase the idle speed and allow you to close the throttle more.

For example. My 440 six pack has 26 degrees initial and 36 total at 3000rpm. It has a 237/242 @ 50 duration solid cam and I set idle speed at 900rpm so it runs nice and the alternator actually does something at that speed too.

If increasing the timing does not give you enough idle speed to get the center carb throttle closed then you need to start playing with the outboard carbs idle circuits or (last resort) drill a couple of 1mm holes in the throttle blades of the center carb.

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7 LS1 2011 Alpha Romeo Giulietta Veloce 1.6 JTD Because running a Mopar in the UK is getting TOO expensive!!
Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: Roppa440] #590513
01/22/10 10:08 AM
01/22/10 10:08 AM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
The promax metering block does'nt have the center carb vacuum advance port.. ..But it's still a good suggestion for other guys trying to get the idle right...

Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: screamindriver] #590514
01/22/10 11:41 AM
01/22/10 11:41 AM
N.E. England
Roppa440 Offline
super street
Roppa440  Offline
super street

N.E. England
It was WAY too early in the morning for me when I read the initial post. I seem to have completely missed most of what you have tried to do to fix it. :-) I am a lot slower in the head than I used to be due to trauma so sometimes I just don't take in stuff correctly.

If drilling holes to let more air in did not increase the idle speed I wonder if it has a bad fuel leak?
A friend of mine had a bad leak that eventually was traced to the promax metering block being out of whack. It was leaking like a blown power valve.

Last edited by Roppa440; 01/22/10 11:43 AM.

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7 LS1 2011 Alpha Romeo Giulietta Veloce 1.6 JTD Because running a Mopar in the UK is getting TOO expensive!!
Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: Roppa440] #590515
01/22/10 06:04 PM
01/22/10 06:04 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
...Just curious...Was it a manufacturing defect or did the block warp during use somehow ??? First time I've heard of that problem..

Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: screamindriver] #590516
01/22/10 10:51 PM
01/22/10 10:51 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline OP
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline OP
I Live Here

the boonies
well, i got some good advice that seemed to work out perfectly.

Robx suggested i close the outboard mixture screws to 1/4 turn which i did. then I set the center at 1 1/2 out and see if the car will idle.

sure enough it did. i used a vacuum gauge to fine tune it but at the end of it all, i was at 1/2 out on the outboards and 1 1/2 or so for the center. i could turn the center screws in and watch the mixture change accordingly.

idled real nice. and the garage stopped getting smoked out.

seems to be running as good as it ever has. the real problem seems to be my outs were WAY too rich, so i had my center all wacked out on the transfer slots and the idle screws wouldnt work. really elementary but my baseline was so far off i got lost.

thanks rob!

Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: aarcuda] #590517
01/23/10 12:03 AM
01/23/10 12:03 AM
Overpriced Housing Central
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Overpriced Housing Central
Quote:

Robx suggested i close the outboard mixture screws to 1/4 turn which i did. then I set the center at 1 1/2 out and see if the car will idle.

sure enough it did. i used a vacuum gauge to fine tune it but at the end of it all, i was at 1/2 out on the outboards and 1 1/2 or so for the center. i could turn the center screws in and watch the mixture change accordingly.

seems to be running as good as it ever has. the real problem seems to be my outs were WAY too rich, so i had my center all wacked out on the transfer slots and the idle screws wouldnt work. really elementary but my baseline was so far off i got lost.

thanks rob!

Usually 1/8-1/4 turn out seems to work pretty well. If it's still needing the center mix screws in a bit far, you can twist the outers in 1/16-1/8 turn then back out the center to get your idle mixture fine tuned.

Just make sure you don't have any lean spikes when transitioning to your outboards.

Sounds like you are closer to getting it right. Send me the datalogging you got.

Your welcome and call any time as long as the dog isn't loose.

Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: RobX4406] #590518
01/23/10 10:32 AM
01/23/10 10:32 AM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline OP
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline OP
I Live Here

the boonies
i sent it out (so i thought) yesterday. but i sent it again this morning. i have to get it out on the road and see how it romps.

surprised toi see the lm1 plots showing changes to part throttle cruise just by changing the idle mixture. goes to show that the idle mixture adjustment plays a part in cruise and maybe to a lessor extent, wot... we'll see if it doesnt rain today

Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: aarcuda] #590519
01/24/10 04:32 PM
01/24/10 04:32 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Glad to hear you've got it improved...Mine are at 1/2 turn out on the secondaries also... Now I'm going to weld the bung in the exhaust this time around for the LM1 and see how close I got.. ...

Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: aarcuda] #590520
01/26/10 06:34 PM
01/26/10 06:34 PM
NY
W
WICKD6PK Offline
enthusiast
WICKD6PK  Offline
enthusiast
W

NY
Whoa nellie man this post is like dejavu all over again i had the same problem with my six pk set up turns out promax sent me the wrong center metering block and no matter what you did you couldnt adjust it.

when at idle you should be able to turn the mix screws all the way in and the motor should die on you
they sent me a new one problem solved.

now on the outboards i also have the jet conversion plates those things are awesome for tuning as well as the baseplate for the rear with the angled screws makes adjusting a whole lot easier.

if you put your fingers over the air bleeds on the top of the carb and the motor speeds up--too lean if it bogs --too rich and adjust your idle mix screws accordingly once you get it tuned you should have a mover there!

This better?

Last edited by WICKD6PK; 01/26/10 11:02 PM.
Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: WICKD6PK] #590521
01/26/10 09:47 PM
01/26/10 09:47 PM
CT: Corrupticut
M
Mr71Bee Offline
Mr71Bee  Offline
M

CT: Corrupticut
Quote:

Whoa nellieman this post is like dejavu all over again i had the same problem with my six pk set up turns out promax sent me the wrong center metering block and no matter what you did you couldnt adjust it when at idle you should be able to turn the mix screws all the way in and the motor should die on you anywho they sent me a new one problem solved now on the outboards i also have the jet conversion plates those things are awesome for tuning as well as the baseplate for the rear with the angled screws makes adjusting a whole lot easier if you put your fingers over the air bleeds on the top of the carb and the motor speeds up--too lean if it bogs --too rich and just adjust your idle mix screws accordingly once you get it tuned you should have a mover there

I am outa breath after reading this!

Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: Mr71Bee] #590522
01/26/10 10:46 PM
01/26/10 10:46 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

Whoa nellieman this post is like dejavu all over again i had the same problem with my six pk set up turns out promax sent me the wrong center metering block and no matter what you did you couldnt adjust it when at idle you should be able to turn the mix screws all the way in and the motor should die on you anywho they sent me a new one problem solved now on the outboards i also have the jet conversion plates those things are awesome for tuning as well as the baseplate for the rear with the angled screws makes adjusting a whole lot easier if you put your fingers over the air bleeds on the top of the carb and the motor speeds up--too lean if it bogs --too rich and just adjust your idle mix screws accordingly once you get it tuned you should have a mover there

I am outa breath after reading this!

That guy that said that my run on sentences were in indication of low intelligence/inadequate education/inbreeding and God only knows what else would have a field day w this one . But it makes perfect sense to me

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: RapidRobert] #590523
01/26/10 11:04 PM
01/26/10 11:04 PM
NY
W
WICKD6PK Offline
enthusiast
WICKD6PK  Offline
enthusiast
W

NY
Whoa nellie man this post is like dejavu all over again i had the same problem with my six pk set up turns out promax sent me the wrong center metering block and no matter what you did you couldnt adjust it.

when at idle you should be able to turn the mix screws all the way in and the motor should die on you
they sent me a new one problem solved.

now on the outboards i also have the jet conversion plates those things are awesome for tuning as well as the baseplate for the rear with the angled screws makes adjusting a whole lot easier.

if you put your fingers over the air bleeds on the top of the carb and the motor speeds up--too lean if it bogs --too rich and adjust your idle mix screws accordingly once you get it tuned you should have a mover there!

This better?

Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: WICKD6PK] #590524
01/26/10 11:13 PM
01/26/10 11:13 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline OP
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline OP
I Live Here

the boonies
i understood it fine i can read pretty well and know where to punctuate so even if you dont use them my mind is so advanced that it inserts them in the correct position i dont need no stinking dots they just add detail

Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: screamindriver] #590525
01/27/10 06:23 AM
01/27/10 06:23 AM
N.E. England
Roppa440 Offline
super street
Roppa440  Offline
super street

N.E. England
Quote:

...Just curious...Was it a manufacturing defect or did the block warp during use somehow ??? First time I've heard of that problem..

This is the message my friend sent me. Date was 31st December.;

Pro-Max just called me. It was their Metering plate that was at fault. I asked them if this was the cause of the over-rich condition,,they said it was.They did some slight machining and a few other mods and it works fine now according to their testing of it. They still charged me for the work even though it was their fault.

Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: Roppa440] #590526
01/27/10 08:32 AM
01/27/10 08:32 AM
Richmond Va, KeislerTKO 60...
V
VanishPt Offline
master
VanishPt  Offline
master
V

Richmond Va, KeislerTKO 60...
"""They still charged me for the work even though it was their fault"""

WHOOA there. That does not seem to be the right thing to do. They are not run by INDY , are they?

Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: aarcuda] #590527
01/27/10 09:00 AM
01/27/10 09:00 AM
West Tennessee
R
rbstroker Offline
super stock
rbstroker  Offline
super stock
R

West Tennessee
Quote:

thanks rob!

Any suggestions on setting up the idle circuits on a completely stock 1970 six pack setup? It is super rich at idle right now.

This is the land of the free because of the brave
Re: cure for sixpack idle screw weirdness [Re: rbstroker] #590528
01/27/10 12:03 PM
01/27/10 12:03 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline OP
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline OP
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

Quote:

thanks rob!

Any suggestions on setting up the idle circuits on a completely stock 1970 six pack setup? It is super rich at idle right now.

first off, can you turn the idle mixture screws in and make the motor idle rough? if so, just turn them in untill it runs smooth and shows the highest idle vacuum (go buy a vacuum gauge).

If you cant lean it out with the mixture screws, you are probably in the same situation i was in- the throttle plates might be open too much and youre running on the intermediate circuit and not the idle circuit.

Check your timing and set it at 8 before TDC or so. set the mixture screws at 1 1/2 turns out and see if you can get the idle screw (not the mixture screw but the idle screw for the throttle plates) backed off a bit to get the carb on the idle circuit.

The problem with stock sixpacks is the outboards run lean. so you may have had to turn the center idle mixture screw out further to compensate, then turned up the idle to get it to run. and that puts you on the transfer circuit which will put you rich.

the outboards have mixture screws in the base plates under a lead plug you can remover pretty easily. then, if your lucky, you can turn the outbard mixture screws out a 1/4 turn to richen them up and then get the center carb dialed in

Page 1 of 2 1 2