05/17/08 10:17 AM
05/17/08 10:17 AM
minnarusta
TX9H6E4CUDA Offline OP
master
TX9H6E4CUDA  Offline OP
master

minnarusta
Ok i just purchased some cross drilled and slotted rotors. I figured they were a great price on the bay (cheaper then napa rotors). Well i installed them on my daily driver with some EBC green stuff pads. Well they do work great and i only have 250 miles on them, but when i hit the brakes i am getting a noise and vibration at lower speed that sounds like a wheel bearing. ITs a Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound and i can feel it in the steering wheel. Are cross drilled and slotted rotors supposed to do this? Will they ever stop making this noise or will i be stuck with it forever. I was thinking of checking them out tommorrow but just wondering because this is my first set of these rotors.

Thanks moparts

For the absolute best powder coating go to J.I.T powder coating, contact infomation is in my personal profile..
Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted rotors [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #58939
05/17/08 12:06 PM
05/17/08 12:06 PM
Marion, Ohio USA
kab69440 Offline
mopar
kab69440  Offline
mopar

Marion, Ohio USA
My guess is that until the pads and rotors "wear in" together, you'll have that noise and vibration. I've been seeking a matched pair of late-B drilled/slotted front rotors and Lincoln rears as specified for the Scarebird rear disc conversion. I can't get any one of those eBay sellers to respond to my queries regarding them.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they are not out to get you. WANT TO BUY- Looking for a CD by 'The Sub-Mersians' entitled "Raw Love Songs From my Garage To Your Bedroom". Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted rotors [Re: kab69440] #58940
05/17/08 01:18 PM
05/17/08 01:18 PM
Prescott Az
73 SSP Offline
super stock
73 SSP  Offline
super stock

Prescott Az
Quote:

My guess is that until the pads and rotors "wear in" together, you'll have that noise and vibration. I've been seeking a matched pair of late-B drilled/slotted front rotors and Lincoln rears as specified for the Scarebird rear disc conversion. I can't get any one of those eBay sellers to respond to my queries regarding them.

I learned when a they don't respond their not ones to do businuss with.

Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted ro [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #58941
05/17/08 01:30 PM
05/17/08 01:30 PM
Willow Grove PA
71sat440 Offline
I Live Here
71sat440  Offline
I Live Here

Willow Grove PA
You probably already know this but just in case, are they on the right sides.
I know the slotted I sell have a left and right side.
People have mixed them up before.

Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted rotors [Re: kab69440] #58942
05/17/08 01:58 PM
05/17/08 01:58 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
i wouldnt expect much out of cheap, ebay drilled/slotted rotors myself. I wouldn't think they would take much abuse before cracking/warping

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted rotors [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #58943
05/17/08 02:02 PM
05/17/08 02:02 PM
Michigan
MNobody Offline
master
MNobody  Offline
master

Michigan
I've never used rotor's of this type but i would guess any rotor that was slotted and drilled would make a different sound than solid rotor's.

Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted ro [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #58944
05/17/08 03:27 PM
05/17/08 03:27 PM
Raleighwood
2Bad360sfromNC Offline
top fuel
2Bad360sfromNC  Offline
top fuel

Raleighwood
I bought a cheap pair off the 'bay for my Dakota R/T. I think they were like 75 or 80 bucks for both. I put Raybestos QS pads on there--never had any noise or vibration at all. I did finally screw one of them up, because I had a caliper start sticking. I was a good ways from home, so I determined to drive it 'til it started smoking. I made it home, but the rotor was toast at that point. The next day I got some regular cheap rotors from work and another set of QS pads, which are still on there to this day. I will say it doesn't stop quite as well with the standard rotors--you don't realize how much difference the drilled/slotted ones make til they're gone.

1968 Charger project. I don't have a fender tag or a buildsheet, so it's getting a 440. Help me decide on a color--most everything looks great! (NOT white. My Challenger is white. Need some variety :D)
1974 Challenger 360
2012 Challenger R/T
1991 Dakota 5.2
Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted ro [Re: 2Bad360sfromNC] #58945
05/17/08 06:53 PM
05/17/08 06:53 PM
Middle TN
da50r Offline
master
da50r  Offline
master

Middle TN
You do know drilled or slotted rotors don't work until they are very hot and the gas effect starts happening.

Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted rotors [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #58946
05/18/08 12:04 AM
05/18/08 12:04 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I assume the only change was the pads and rotor, and you bedded them in as per rotor pad manufacturer suggested, and you checked rotor runout, and the caliper mounting is correct, then I would say the noise is not a good sign, but a sign of what, I don't know. I would think the drilling would not be a source of your problem, and the slots if mounted wrong direction I don't know. I personally would never drive a car with drilled rotors, slots maybe. The Porsche High dollar rotors have cast holes. The little weight savings vs chance of a failed rotor does not make sense to me. And some pads do not like slots.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted rotors [Re: jcc] #58947
05/18/08 09:40 AM
05/18/08 09:40 AM
ILL
G
Greentween Offline
enthusiast
Greentween  Offline
enthusiast
G

ILL
I used rotorpros off ebag for mine, and there was too much runout. Had to have them turned at napa.

Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted ro [Re: 71sat440] #58948
05/18/08 12:47 PM
05/18/08 12:47 PM
minnarusta
TX9H6E4CUDA Offline OP
master
TX9H6E4CUDA  Offline OP
master

minnarusta
Quote:

You probably already know this but just in case, are they on the right sides.
I know the slotted I sell have a left and right side.
People have mixed them up before.

really dang they were not marked side or anything on the box and they didnt come with directions at all for break in and neither did the pads. Im going to jack it up today and take a look.

Can these rotors be turned?

For the absolute best powder coating go to J.I.T powder coating, contact infomation is in my personal profile..
Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted ro [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #58949
05/18/08 01:34 PM
05/18/08 01:34 PM
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Magnum Offline
master
Magnum  Offline
master

Hamilton, Ontario Canada
I had drilled and slotted on our LHS. It was a bit louder during hard braking.

I later went back to smooth rotors because the drilled/slotted rotors wore out my front brake pads in 9 months. We typically get 3 years out of the front brakes on the LHS.

Overkill for a daily driver but they do work. I tried seriously abusing the ABS one day and the brakes would not fade or vibrate.

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super
Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted ro [Re: Magnum] #58950
05/18/08 01:52 PM
05/18/08 01:52 PM
minnarusta
TX9H6E4CUDA Offline OP
master
TX9H6E4CUDA  Offline OP
master

minnarusta
so how do i know if they are on backwards? the slots and holes are heading towards front of the car when top dead to the rotor. They are mirrored looking (i guess i hit the brakes a little hard a couple of times) Im gonna hit it with some sand paper and scuff them up again

Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted ro [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #58951
05/18/08 02:03 PM
05/18/08 02:03 PM
Cookeville
Chilort Offline
Will Work For Mopars
Chilort  Offline
Will Work For Mopars

Cookeville
Here is a drilled and slotted rotor. Granted, it is for a G-body (Daytona) but should be okay as a reference. Notice the sticker with the L and arrow.

These are Baer so they are good quality. It took a while to get used to them. There is some different vibration and whatnot than a regular disc. Now that my pads are set though, it isn't as bad (it took a bit though). I really don't care if they eat pads because I love the way the car stops. This car doesn't have ABS. The action is real linear. I can go in deep and still press harder if I feel I need to.

It is my daily driver in terrible ATL traffic, so stopping frequently and hard is a regular event.

Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted rotors [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #58952
05/18/08 09:49 PM
05/18/08 09:49 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

The little weight savings vs chance of a failed rotor does not make sense to me. And some pads do not like slots.

a) rotors are not drilled or slotted to save weight - they are drilled for cooling, they are slotted to get rid of moisture and dirt

b) pads don't know the difference whether there are slots, holes or nothing at all - as long as the rotor has been turned after the drilling or slotting process. When properly done, the holes and/or slots should both be chamfered.

c) runout would be a b*tch to check on a slotted rotor but you'd usually notice a pulsing if they weren't true as opposed to a noise.

I'd take them off and check pad wear and maybe get them turned to make sure they're true. Then chamfer all the holes and slots if they aren't already done. I'd also check the hub mounting face and make sure there's nothing like rust buildup or anything that would affect the rotor runout.

Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted rotors [Re: Stanton] #58953
05/19/08 06:49 AM
05/19/08 06:49 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

The little weight savings vs chance of a failed rotor does not make sense to me. And some pads do not like slots.

a) rotors are not drilled or slotted to save weight - they are drilled for cooling, they are slotted to get rid of moisture and dirt

b) pads don't know the difference whether there are slots, holes or nothing at all - as long as the rotor has been turned after the drilling or slotting process. When properly done, the holes and/or slots should both be chamfered.

c) runout would be a b*tch to check on a slotted rotor but you'd usually notice a pulsing if they weren't true as opposed to a noise.

I'd take them off and check pad wear and maybe get them turned to make sure they're true. Then chamfer all the holes and slots if they aren't already done. I'd also check the hub mounting face and make sure there's nothing like rust buildup or anything that would affect the rotor runout.

A. There are people who would disagree with you on why rotors are drilled. The MAIN reason seems to be it looks cool. Drilling rotors lowers their weight, that is not in dispute, which also lowers the amount of heat that can be absorbed because of less mass. We can also assume that anything solid with a hole in it, when suddenly heated drastically, has higher stress concentrations then someting without a hole in it, and therefore more prone to heat cracking.

B. by normal design a slot is almost always chamfered, a hole maybe, and some pad manufactureres care very much whether the rotors are holed or slotted

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted ro [Re: jcc] #58954
05/19/08 11:16 AM
05/19/08 11:16 AM
Canada
Kam*Kuda Offline
master
Kam*Kuda  Offline
master

Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A. There are people who would disagree with you on why rotors are drilled. The MAIN reason seems to be it looks cool. Drilling rotors lowers their weight, that is not in dispute, which also lowers the amount of heat that can be absorbed because of less mass. We can also assume that anything solid with a hole in it, when suddenly heated drastically, has higher stress concentrations then someting without a hole in it, and therefore more prone to heat cracking.

B. by normal design a slot is almost always chamfered, a hole maybe, and some pad manufactureres care very much whether the rotors are holed or slotted

My understanding here.
Braking produces gasses. Cross drilling the rotors give the
gasses a way to escape. This will increase the ability to apply pressure.

1970 Barracuda Convertible
1968 Satellite Street Strip car
1654.5 Mustang
1955 Land Rover
Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted ro [Re: Kam*Kuda] #58955
05/19/08 11:31 AM
05/19/08 11:31 AM
Las Vegas
JeffC Offline
pro stock
JeffC  Offline
pro stock

Las Vegas
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My understanding here.
Braking produces gasses. Cross drilling the rotors give the
gasses a way to escape. This will increase the ability to apply pressure.

Gassing out was a problem back in the day of organic brake pads. but not any more, modern brake pads don't gas out like the old ones did.

Last edited by JeffC; 05/19/08 11:32 AM.
Re: I got a question about cross drilled and slotted ro [Re: jcc] #58956
05/19/08 03:06 PM
05/19/08 03:06 PM
Cookeville
Chilort Offline
Will Work For Mopars
Chilort  Offline
Will Work For Mopars

Cookeville