Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I missed that . Yes if the coil positive pri terminal isn't hot in "run and "crank" then as said trace back upstream. I am not grasping why a meter should not be used especially since he has one. Tracing backwards I think he'll find the "open" in a matter of minutes if it is on the eng side of the firewall.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Car won't start - No spark - No voltage at Coil [Re: RapidRobert] #582477
01/15/10 02:15 AM
01/15/10 02:15 AM
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
In this situation, there is no voltage when checked with the meter, so continuing with the meter will likely find the fault. You are correct to say that the meter will work

BUT

The reason why a meter isn't always the best tool to find a lack of power for something is simple.

Try this.
Put the negative lead of a voltmeter on to the neg of a battery.
Now put one hand on the positve of the battery, and the other hand on the positive of the meter.

What does the meter read?

Answer: Battery voltage.

You have 12 volts on your hand. Will it run anything electrical?

NO.
The resistance of your body will not allow any current if you try to put a current load across the circuit, Yet you clearly have voltage present on the meter.

If relying on meter readings, you may think the circuit is fine but it's not. An electrical device will not function here.

A meter will find an open( broken wire, etc), but NOT necessarily a high resistance(corrosion in a wire, thermal damage to a connection etc..), without adding a load to the circuit at the same time.
With a test light, the bulb is the load.
If it lights up, you have voltage AND a cicuit that will support a load

In the situation the original poster has put up, there is no voltage, so he will likely find the problem with a meter, if that is the way he goes with it.
BUT
A lot of the time, when "phantom" electrical problems are posted, about things not working, it's a simple error like this, that has caused most of the confusion, and made the diagnosis so difficult. You end up back at a circuit you thought was ok, but really wasn't

Re: Car won't start - No spark - No voltage at Coil [Re: NachoRT74] #582478
05/17/10 07:09 PM
05/17/10 07:09 PM
ny usa
1fastcuda Offline
1fastcuda  Offline

ny usa
Can you help.? Looking at your message when hooking up new ballast resistor No leads on yet. I hook up the
blue wire to the ballast I now have 12 volts at run and the other empty terminal is reading voltage. They say what i've read there should be no voltage on the other leg only at start. I'm lost I have a no start in my 340 cuda orange box.
have power to the coil and power to the orange box. No power going to the dist wires from orange box. Tried a mopar blue box not sure about that no help. new coil no help tried dist no help new ballast no help. I think it has to do with that pick up wires not sure.? Any ideas thanks kevin

Page 2 of 2 1 2