04/29/08 03:11 PM
04/29/08 03:11 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I am trying to figure out how to mount the hinge and the glove box door to my charger. Not sure of what the best steps are on how to do it.
There aren't really any pictures floating around of glove box doors open either, or how it was installed.
Thanks, Eric
fixitforgood@comcast.net

Re: mounting 68 charger glove box door #57541
04/29/08 04:16 PM
04/29/08 04:16 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I figured it out. The big thick service manual shows a picture of how it bolts together.
You first bolt the spring to the car, heres the key that I couldn't figure out...
The mounting metal on the spring goes inside the glove box frame, so another words, you run the screws through the top of the glove box frame, and screw them into the spring.
Then when all screws are in, mount the 4 screws to the glove box.
Then install the glove box liner. (tape off the metal, as the hardware on the liner WILL scratch the metal, don't ask how I know this)
It don't look like the liner will go in. Start it sideways in the center, and turn it as you go in.
Then lastly, install the latch and adjust.
Thats it... in case anybody else gets stuck.

Re: mounting 68 charger glove box door #57542
05/22/08 03:10 PM
05/22/08 03:10 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm an idiot and can't figure this out.

I figured out how the screws go in, like mentioned above, but I end up with a bear-trap-like apparatus when I try and pull the mounting legs back to mount the door.

When I finally got it bolted together, the door was hanging down and out about 3 inches.

I used to be good at all that spatial-rotation-figure-it-out 3D engineering stuff - I must be getting old.

Anybody got a pic of their glove box door open in their 68 charger? That would help me orient the pieces I have.

Thanks!

Re: mounting 68 charger glove box door [Re: Gusteve] #57543
05/23/08 08:37 AM
05/23/08 08:37 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Got it.

In hind-sight - I'm still not sure why I had such a hard time with this. I must have mounted it upside down or backward or something the first time - as I was having to try and hold the spring mechanism open while I bolted it in (which was really hard).

For posterity - here's a pic for the next bonehead like me that can't figure it out.

4446120-DSC01064.JPG (784 downloads)