01/04/10 02:30 AM
St. Louis, MO
mopardamo Offline
pro stock
mopardamo  Offline
pro stock

St. Louis, MO
Hello mickm,

My problem with the back pressure due to the exhaust only showed up when I was heavy on the go pedal. The exhaust tube was placed about 1.5" past the reducer opening into the reducer causing my pressure and oil problems. May still need to check this.

Damon

Re: where is my oil going? [Re: mickm] #558029
01/04/10 04:24 AM
01/04/10 04:24 AM
Baltimore/Denver
64Post Offline
master
64Post  Offline
master

Baltimore/Denver
Quote:

Quote:

Do you have a chassis dyno around?

yup, what are you thinkin?

I'm thinking two heads are better than one. While the operator is making a couple of hard runs through the gears you can concentrate on what's going on under the hood. You can put the gage on the dipstick tube, but I have the feeling you'll see for yourself the breather(s) being pushed up off the valve covers. AFAIC this is a straight forward blow by issue -- you've eliminated everything else. How much you can tolerate is up to you. Using two breathers might mask the issue, but it certainly won't fix it.

I really don't see how you can avoid re-honing and re-ringing the engine. Trust me, I'm in the same boat as you, but right now I don't have the time or money to fix it.

Last edited by 64Post; 01/04/10 08:27 PM.
Re: where is my oil going? [Re: 64Post] #558030
01/04/10 01:51 PM
01/04/10 01:51 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

... You can put the gage on the dipstick tube, but I have the feeling you'll see for yourself the breather(s) being pushed up off the valve covers. AFAIC this is a straight forward blow by issue -- you've eliminated everything else. How much you can tolerate is up to you. Using two breathers might mask the issue, but it certainly won't fix it.

I really don't see how you can avoid re-honing and re-ringing the engine. Trust me, I'm in the same boat except as you, but right now I don't have the time or money to fix it.

i was planning on going this coming friday, just to tune it in. while it doesn't perform the way i want it to, it still is no slouch. and i know the A/F could still be dialed in better.

i agree that i will have to re hone/ring it, but for now i just have to figure a way to keep the oil inside the engine. there has to be a way to do that, even if i have to rig a more extensive baffle system inside the valve cover...

Re: where is my oil going? [Re: mickm] #558031
01/04/10 07:36 PM
01/04/10 07:36 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
I said before the smart way is to sddress the problem. Yes, it stinks but everything points to a ring sealing issue. It's not designed to hold pressure in. It's designed to NOT HAVE PRESSURE in the crankcase. The more you have, the more issues will be with ring seal (AKA vacuum pumps for race engines that encourage ring seal...) I dont think you'll be able to seal it up. Plug all the obvious points and it will start pushing out the rear main and gaskets. I wish you luck, but I think it's a fruitless endeavor.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: where is my oil going? [Re: mickm] #558032
01/04/10 07:52 PM
01/04/10 07:52 PM
closer to Canadian beer!
torkrules Offline
I'm neurotic
torkrules  Offline
I'm neurotic

closer to Canadian beer!
Quote:

Quote:

... You can put the gage on the dipstick tube, but I have the feeling you'll see for yourself the breather(s) being pushed up off the valve covers. AFAIC this is a straight forward blow by issue -- you've eliminated everything else. How much you can tolerate is up to you. Using two breathers might mask the issue, but it certainly won't fix it.

I really don't see how you can avoid re-honing and re-ringing the engine. Trust me, I'm in the same boat except as you, but right now I don't have the time or money to fix it.

i was planning on going this coming friday, just to tune it in. while it doesn't perform the way i want it to, it still is no slouch. and i know the A/F could still be dialed in better.

i agree that i will have to re hone/ring it, but for now i just have to figure a way to keep the oil inside the engine. there has to be a way to do that, even if i have to rig a more extensive baffle system inside the valve cover...

Mick my friend, I sure do feel your pain.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5