12/22/09 10:30 PM
Worst Weather USA
493_DART Offline
master
493_DART  Offline
master

Worst Weather USA
Quote:

I guess my best memory of a national event was when Darrel Alderman and Scott Geoffrion were on top in Pro Stock,It was a friday afternoon at Topeka and I really wanted to get a picture with the Dodge Boys ,we finally found their pit and ask one of the guys there if we could maybe get some pictures with Scott and Darrel, he goes into the race trailer and comes back out and waves me in ,sayes to go in the trailer , once inside I see Scott and Darrel setting around talking to a couple of guys ,Darrel was pretty engaged in conversation so I started talking to Scott ,I had a couple of their T shirts so I asked if they would sign them ,and a friend of mine is taking loads of pictures ,Darrel got into the T shirt signing too and was also extremely friendly to ,got to be the 2 most friendly ProStock drivers I've ever met ,after all of this I thought I had used up enough of their time so I tried to excuse myself ,but Scott said ,were really not doing anything for a while hang around if you want ...The Best Experiance Ive ever had in drag racing and those guys were class acts ,,,,the next year I went back and they Signed the Pictures and talked again for a while ....Darrel was Great ,Scott was Awesome ...Rest In Peace brother

Cool! I think this was my first big race! was it about 1995?

Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: 493_DART] #557616
12/23/09 12:12 AM
12/23/09 12:12 AM
Lawton, MI
Headhunter22 Offline
enthusiast
Headhunter22  Offline
enthusiast

Lawton, MI
Best memory for me was the mid 80's. I grew up a mile west of US-131 dragway. Father was / is a mopar guy who worked at the dragway when he was in his teens so he knew the owners and let me go to the races alone and walk home. I can't remember what year it was for sure but I watched Dean Nicopolis in the Ramchargers SS/DA 'Cuda win Super Stock in the Pop Hot Rodding Nationals. Best memory though was I was wandering around the pits looking for Mopars and ran across a SS/B white car of Teuton and Comstock. I think it was Howard Comstock that asked me to help him put the hood on the car. Almost wet myself I was so excited, might have only been 14 and I remember that to this day. Might have the name wrong but that it what sticks with me to this day. Still love those B cars over anything else.

Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: Headhunter22] #557617
12/23/09 12:32 PM
12/23/09 12:32 PM
Raleigh N.C
H
hemiparts Offline OP
"Missile Pilot"
hemiparts  Offline OP
"Missile Pilot"
H

Raleigh N.C

Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: hemiparts] #557618
12/23/09 05:28 PM
12/23/09 05:28 PM
Joplin, Mo
R
rt66jim Offline
master
rt66jim  Offline
master
R

Joplin, Mo
In 1966 I attened my first drag race at MoKan Dragway. They were having a match race between Big Daddy and the Carrol Bros. We standing by the fence about 100' from the starting line. They came up the push road and did their burnouts. First time I ever felt the ground shake and the earth move. You could see the gravel vibrating on the ground. I was hooked. I think it is a good kind of sickness tho. Nothing sounds better than a well tuned nitro motor. Jim

Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: rt66jim] #557619
12/23/09 08:39 PM
12/23/09 08:39 PM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

Quote:

In 1966 I attened my first drag race at MoKan Dragway. They were having a match race between Big Daddy and the Carrol Bros. We standing by the fence about 100' from the starting line. They came up the push road and did their burnouts. First time I ever felt the ground shake and the earth move. You could see the gravel vibrating on the ground. I was hooked. I think it is a good kind of sickness tho. Nothing sounds better than a well tuned nitro motor. Jim

just to put a visual to this...
here is the push start....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvtkOkW-jRg&feature=channel

And the SOUND
here is the Cackle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDC9oTBIDwY&feature=channel

the burn out.....(please excuse the narrator my drunk brother....)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI0n2F7t17U&feature=channel

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #557620
12/25/09 11:30 AM
12/25/09 11:30 AM
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
master

surely you guys got more....

i goy more but dont want to hogg...

cheapst.

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #557621
12/25/09 02:03 PM
12/25/09 02:03 PM
Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
Come on I want to hear more!!

You have any good ones from Dallas Ga, Yellow River (Between Conyers & Covington), The one tack just east of Covington, Head Hunter Motorcycle Club, etc.

I grew up in Monticello Ga and my Dad told me about all those tracks. Only 1 I have been to myself is HeadHunter in Eatonton Ga.

Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: DakFink] #557622
12/25/09 03:15 PM
12/25/09 03:15 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
I started racing in 1963 and have a lot of good memorys and stories and still making more everyday.Some you don't want to know about.

Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: B G Racing] #557623
12/26/09 12:56 AM
12/26/09 12:56 AM
Raleigh N.C
H
hemiparts Offline OP
"Missile Pilot"
hemiparts  Offline OP
"Missile Pilot"
H

Raleigh N.C
Quote:

I started racing in 1963 and have a lot of good memorys and stories and still making more everyday.Some you don't want to know about.

come on BG let's hear'em !!!

Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: DakFink] #557624
12/26/09 03:16 PM
12/26/09 03:16 PM
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
master

Quote:

Come on I want to hear more!!

You have any good ones from Dallas Ga, Yellow River (Between Conyers & Covington), The one tack just east of Covington, Head Hunter Motorcycle Club, etc.

I grew up in Monticello Ga and my Dad told me about all those tracks. Only 1 I have been to myself is HeadHunter in Eatonton Ga.

i can only think of the last race at Dallas ga. southeastern dragway/reds
the 50th aniversary was sceduled for i believe july 4th...
which ever it was..the first date got rained out..
mid way through...
so they re-scheduled it...
by this time word had gotten around that this was to be the last race...ever...

there where lots of ol timers..Hubert Platt amoung others..the chi-town hustler 71 charger flopper showed up.
the Hartmans racing group...for both weekends the rain out and this final later in sept..
the turn out was huge ...i mean standing room only....all teh yrs ive raced there ..and never seen it that packed...
well it got delayed for a few cleanups..and then rain..early evening...Gene announced..we will run no matter what..
well the finals went way past 12am and the exibition cars hadnt run yet...including the jet car....!!
if your familiar with southeastern ...a houseing development popped up just behind the trees backing up to the starting line....
(these people where partly why the track closed)
any way..the police showed up multiple times that evening for noise complaints...
we didnt finish money rounds cause it rained again...around 12pm.. just enough to wet the track...rain for about 10 min...
so Gene announces that the jet car will make a pass to dry off the track....
this is now 12;30 am....
no kidding i got a picture some where of that jet car hitting the afterburner..and my arm watch is held up so you can see the time...it was after 1 am...
that was killer..
we made our final passes ..i made it to the semi's
i rememember not haveing a dry towel left to dry off the car...
that weekend was crazy...there was still half crowd that stayed..past 1am..
we all new it was the last hora...
cheapst.

ps. We heard story about that night people reported a plane crash..a bomb..all kinds of stuff....ROFL

[image][/image]
Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: hemiparts] #557625
12/31/09 08:09 AM
12/31/09 08:09 AM
Staten Island, NY
R
RO23dave Offline
enthusiast
RO23dave  Offline
enthusiast
R

Staten Island, NY
don't remember what year it was, but somewhere in the 70's there was pro-stock match racing every wednesday nite at e-town. i loved the pro stocks, especially the mopars. went every wednesday nite and always took as many pictures as i could. one particular nite, i was wandering the pits and came across the motown missle. walked up and started talking with don carlton. even told him that i owned an original ro23 car. he wanted to hear more but had to get the car ready for racing, so he says, i have no crew to help me, wanna stay and help. my heart fell to the floor. here was a legend asking me to help him crew his car. the guy was so down to earth it was contagious. it was probably the first time being able to stand on the starting line and not racing my own car. he didn't win the race and i finished by helping him load the car onto the trailer. he thanked me and said come by anytime. took him up on his offer any time he showed up after that. it really hit home when i learned of his accident.
another short story. i always was able to secure tickets to the summer nationals which gave me access to the front of the timing tower. well just so happened that the baseball strike had just occurred. i'm making my way up to the fence and bump right into mr october himself, reggie jackson. didn't know at that time he was such a car nut.
another e-town highlight was sitting in the stands and video taping garlits when he made his famous blow over backwards run right in front of me.

Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: chris3] #557626
12/31/09 10:31 AM
12/31/09 10:31 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Have we ran out of stories?

Heres one.HemiFred took me out for some tall tail and the next morning I felt like I had been in a war.

Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: B G Racing] #557627
12/31/09 10:54 AM
12/31/09 10:54 AM
Oregon,USA
R
RAT PATROL Offline
mopar
RAT PATROL  Offline
mopar
R

Oregon,USA
Both parents raced while growing up so I had a great childhood (not done yet). This was another great day.

5700015-Dorothy.jpg (66 downloads)
Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: B G Racing] #557628
12/31/09 11:12 AM
12/31/09 11:12 AM
So. Jersey
Somerdale Flash Offline
enthusiast
Somerdale Flash  Offline
enthusiast

So. Jersey
Quote:

Quote:

Heres one.HemiFred took me out for some tall tail and the next morning I felt like I had been in a war.

Ha! It's like Fred never stopped being 19 years old...Still stays out all night.
Drinking Goose, chasing Women, and telling lies.
LOTS of lies. And those Women BELIEVE Him.
He just can't help himself.

Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: Somerdale Flash] #557629
12/31/09 11:23 AM
12/31/09 11:23 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ha! It's like Fred never stopped being 19 years old...Still stays out all night.
Drinking Goose, chasing Women, and telling lies.
LOTS of lies. And those Women BELIEVE Him.
He just can't help himself.

And to think I actually believed him I guess the "check"isn't really in the mail then?

Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: B G Racing] #557630
12/31/09 12:11 PM
12/31/09 12:11 PM
Illinois
Hurst390 Offline
mopar
Hurst390  Offline
mopar

Illinois
I got 1...A couple good buddies of mine ran a hurst built SS car back in 69-72...One of the brothers was approached by miss hurst...
and he went with her into their motorhome(they were one of the few that had a motorhome back then..with a/c no less)...some guys told him that her...well... was bigger than a beer can...Randy said...Thats alright it will stretch..

80 AMX Barry Allen 420 AMC Iron Heads Jerico 4-speed Advanced clutch 2950# street legal 5.97 115.73 Coles county dragway 10/28/07 9.42 142.96 best in 08(6.00 115.8 1/8) 5.97 116.2 in 09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXSr201-tmA
Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: hemiparts] #557631
12/31/09 02:30 PM
12/31/09 02:30 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
I waqs lucky enough to meet Bill Jenkins, Warren Johnson & Shirley Muldowney, all at different times. "Grumpy" I actually liked & obviously respected. Since he's an engineer, My "take" on meeting him--ask a specific, no BS question you'll get a specific answer--which proved true. I had a question about intakes & he took his time & thoroughly answered the question--AND THIS WAS AT THE TRACK!, so I can hardly say the "grumpy" moniker quite qualifies. A friend arranged for me & my race partner to meet WJ. When we were were introduced to WJ & his wife, my partner froze up & just stared at him. WJ looked at us like we were from Mars. Realizing what just happened I proceeded to ask WJ a specific question about the block in his car. Like "Grumpy", I got the same feeling & like "Grumpy" I got the same attitude & response--friendly, yet very specific & direct, so I was happy. Mrs. Johnson was very gracious, spending a few minutes with us, asking us about the local sites & some superficial questions. Ms. Muldowney is a genuine lady--kind & concerned with what we were doing with our (police) race project & willing to cooperate anytime, anywhere. She even remembered me some years later when she returned to Phoenix & I was doing a K-9 demo near her trailer. She invited me into the lounge area of her trailer, introduced me to her husband & son & asked how things were going. I couldn't have been happier. Since then I've met several of the original Ramchargers, Scott Shafiroff( he lived near my H.S. when I was growing up), Arlen Vanke, Shirley Shahan, Judy Lily & have become friends with Clyde Williams - a lesser known Afro-American P/S racer from the 70s who ran around with Ronnie Lyles & Malcom Durham a little, back in the day. All these people I really can't say I had a "bad" experience with & meeting them allowed me to learn how to "meet & greet" people who come by my pit & are good enough to show interest in my car--something alot of racers seem to forget. Remember without them we don't have support or get sponsors...

Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: hemiparts] #557632
01/01/10 11:26 AM
01/01/10 11:26 AM
Minnesota
peabodyracing Offline
top fuel
peabodyracing  Offline
top fuel

Minnesota
1973 or so, in college after 4 years in service and I meet a guy at school (who'll I'll call Joe) with a GM manufactured car running SS. Beautiful car, best of everything. He had $10,000 in the thing, which seemed unbelievable at the time. We'd drive to Northstar dragstip; his car trailered, mine flat towed behind my driver car. He'd check/adjust everything, make a pass, have problems, come back and check/adjust/tinker, repeat.

I'd make a pass, lift the hood to make sure the engine was still there, make another pass. He'd scoff at my car, my apparent lack of dedication, or whatever he perceived. I beleive at the time I had nearly $1800 in my car. I didn't care whether he approved of mine or not, I was just there to have fun, but I was getting tired of the snide remarks. When we'd go to the staging lanes he'd go so far as to always pull into a different lane as far from me as he could get.

This particular trip my Dad had come and Joe's Dad had come. We introduced them to each other and they hit it off well. Apparently both of them picked up on the friction developing between Joe and me. We'd driven to the staging lanes and as usual Joe went way off to the right. As we got closer to the burn out area, Joe was about 5 cars in front of me and I saw the Dads talking to track officials. Joe was getting set to do his burn out in the right lane. The officials had him hold for a minute, and came back to wave me around the cars still in front of me, directing me to the left lane. Joe looked over and saw he was going to run against me, kind of set his jaw and hunched down to business. He did a massive burnout, I chirped the tires through the water as usual. Couldn't afford to wear out my used set of slicks.

We stage, lights come down and about halfway down the track I'm right at Joe's left rear wheel. As if in slow motion I see Joe look over his shoulder, passed my car, looking for me, figuring I'd be well behind him. He doesn't find me, his head swivels back toward the front and as he's doing so realizes I'm nearly next to him. I'll never forget the look on his face.

We came back to the pits and Joe was so mad he wouldn't even talk. The two Dad's were laughing and poking at each other. Joe wouldn't even talk to his Dad as he loaded up the car. He decided there was something wrong with the car and it needed to be put back on the trailer for repairs.

Dad died 4 years ago, but often would bring up that story. Rest in peace Dad. I sure miss you!

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way
Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: chris3] #557633
01/01/10 05:59 PM
01/01/10 05:59 PM
Byron, NY
W.I.N. Racing Offline
top fuel
W.I.N. Racing  Offline
top fuel

Byron, NY
Here's a story about the first time I met Ronnie Sox....
I was at the Empire Nationals late 80's early 90's wandering thru the Pro pits, there was this Pro/Mod car there that Looked more like a Pro/street than a Pro/Mod (tons of chrome, Fancy paint job) Chevy Lumina I believe??? It was along side a small enclosed trailer pulled by a pickup, basically nothing over the top except.... the chic they had with them, she was a cutie, and was wearing a short midriff shirt that when she came to the trailer door and reached up to hold on to the top of the door opening...lets just say it wasn't a Midriff shirt any longer, She was wearing jeans with cuts in them, in all the right place's, even in the front.... you could see heaven... there had to be 50-75 guys surrounding this "Car" appreciating it for it abilities I'm sure. So being one of the 50-75, I turned to look over my shoulder to see Ronnie Sox and crew standing across the pit lane (all by themselves - No fans, no nothing )hands on their hips watching all of us looking at this "Pro/Street-Pro/Mod" so I wandered over, as I approached I said "Nice Car" meaning his Comet Pro/Mod, His reply was "what car???" I grinned and told him I meant his... His reply was still "what car ????"
So when you want to have he baddest car at the track, just remember to bring the proper crew personel

Re: War Stories and TallTales..... [Re: W.I.N. Racing] #557634
01/03/10 05:53 PM
01/03/10 05:53 PM
SW Ohio
C
cgall Offline
top fuel
cgall  Offline
top fuel
C

SW Ohio
Back in the mid 80's, just before the curse of the rear-engine dragster, 1/8th mile racing, and buybacks ruined bracket racing, I had a brand "C" car that ran 11.60's and did pretty well in Super Pro.

When I would run a "fast" car, usually a mid-9 second S/G car that came out to run brackets, I would dial down .01 from what I thought that I could run, go thru the traps without lifting, and take my chances. This worked real well back then, before they gave you 60 ft. or 1/8th mile times.

One Saturday night I made it to the final, slated to run one of the track's top drivers in a mid-9 car. I leave the line and look in my rear-view mirror as I pull second gear, he has redlighted and I'm a winner.

Fast forward to '94, I am running a local super class race in S/ST in my Duster. I make it to the final, and what do you know, I'm going to run that same guy from 10 years ago! He has a state-of-the-art car with electronics that runs 147 MPH, I'm driving off the foot and letting off in high gear to run 10.90 at 116. I tell the guys about the last time I ran this dude, one of them goes over and reminds him that he red-lit against me the last time out together. The guy says, "this time it will be different."

We stage up for the final, the .500 pro tree flashes, and I am on my way. I look up and my win light is on...he has done it again...redlight!

I have to go over to his pit area and bring him a beer, he meets me half way to bring me one.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4