11/11/09 12:34 PM
11/11/09 12:34 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

I bought a set of stainless header wrap ties.
They look like zip ties in that one piece feeds into the other. But unlike plain wire, you don't seem to stab through the wrap.

How do you use this stuff to hold on the header wrap?
I was thinking I could put a layer down with one of these under it, then put a layer over it and tie them together, then continue to wrap. Is that how it is done? Or am I supposed to cut a slot?

radarsonwheels [Re: Andrewh] #523243
11/12/09 03:59 PM
11/12/09 03:59 PM
Philadelphia
R
radar Offline
top fuel
radar  Offline
top fuel
R

Philadelphia
I used header wrap on some harleys in the past. I wouldn't use them on my car- too much of a pain in the butt to change headers whey they rot out from heat fatigue. If you have your heart set on them just soak the wrap in water first then wrap from the back foreword toward the engine- that'll get you a better 'shingled' look with the overlaps and the water will help stretch them on tight.

I just started by wrapping a couple times away from the head flange, then reversed overlapping the first couple wraps. If you keep it real tight (wear gloves to keep away itchies) you shouldn't have a problem with them coming unwrapped.

When you get up to the top of each tube, just cut the wrap so that the end won't be seen on top for neatness, then put the stainless zip tie right on top. It won't stop the ragged edge from sticking out, so just zip it tight and try to get enough wrap under it so it can't come loose.

If you position each tie the same way they make a nice rhythm and don't look raggedy. I actually like the way they look tied down with cheezy hoseclamps.

Don't forget to spray them down with the high heat paint to help insulate and protect them. It will also help to keep them tight and stiff. It's normal to get a smoky smelly first ride or 2.

Good luck

Re: radarsonwheels [Re: radar] #523244
11/12/09 04:52 PM
11/12/09 04:52 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

Thanks. I figured out the wrap ties work like zip ties. But they were too short to go around my exhause with a single one.

I did not know about the paint or water trick. Too late I put them on already.
I might try painting them later though.
They did smoke for a long time.

Thanks again.

Re: radarsonwheels [Re: Andrewh] #523245
11/12/09 05:18 PM
11/12/09 05:18 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
I've always questioned the use of header wrap. Personally I think the ONLY purpose it serves is to give YOU some protection if you happen to touch bare skin to a hot header. Not to say you won't get burned, just that you won't stick the the hot pipe!

As far as reducing heat in an engine compartment, I don't think so. Sure, the wrap keeps heat in the pipe but only until that heat transfers to the wrap, then it dispells or radiates the heat just like a hot pipe.

And as stated in the previous post, the heat will weaken the headers and decrease their lifespan SIGNIFICANTLY.

Great for racecars but has no place on a street driven vehicle.

As for tying it off, I've always used safety wire. I use a nylon tiewrap to hold the end, cut a long piece of safety wire, loop it around the pipe then twist it about 3/4" then wrap it back around and twist it tight. Leave about a 1/2" and trim off the excess. Flatten the twisted end to the header. Cut the nylon tie and pull it out.

Re: radarsonwheels [Re: Stanton] #523246
11/12/09 07:15 PM
11/12/09 07:15 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
The wrap does not allow the header to breath either and there fore also another reason that I wouldn't use wrap. I have seen what some headers looked like after removing the wrap. It wasn't pretty.

Re: radarsonwheels [Re: MoparforLife] #523247
11/12/09 10:19 PM
11/12/09 10:19 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

It isn't actually on a header.

I am using stock exhaust, and the pipes go a little to close to some things for my comfort.
I put protection on most of it but thought I would put the header wrap on the exhaust for just some added protection.