11/02/09 12:29 PM
11/02/09 12:29 PM
Newark, OH
Hunted Duck Offline OP
super stock
Hunted Duck  Offline OP
super stock

Newark, OH
After reading alot of posts on fuel systems I am wanting to know which is better? I know the bypass pump would be easier to plumb.

Re: What's better. Bypass pump or Bypass Regulator? [Re: Hunted Duck] #514151
11/02/09 12:34 PM
11/02/09 12:34 PM
The Swamp
MegaDart Offline
master
MegaDart  Offline
master

The Swamp
IMO, bypass regulators stay more accurate throughout a run then a dead head. I run both a bypass pump to a bypass regulator on my dedicated NOS system.
I run belt drive fuel pump to motor and use bypass regulator at the fuel log.

5581821-DSCN1768.JPG (94 downloads)
Re: What's better. Bypass pump or Bypass Regulator? [Re: Hunted Duck] #514152
11/02/09 12:45 PM
11/02/09 12:45 PM
Carson City, Nevada
RobbMc Offline
super stock
RobbMc  Offline
super stock

Carson City, Nevada
Bypass regulator. No question.

A return from the pump is just an external bypass (other pumps have an internal bypass). This external bypass keeps the pump pressure from getting too high, and it does cool the pump better than an internal bypass, but it doesn't give you the other advantages of a return regulator.

1. A return regulator lowers the temperature of the fuel all the way up to the regulator, not just up to the pump.

2. A return regulator lowers the pump amp draw and increases pump life. When using a dead-head regulator, the pump is making maximum pressure all the time. When using a return regulator, the pump is only forced to make the regulator set pressure at idle, and only a few psi more at full throttle.

3. A return regulator decreases pump noise.

4. A return regulator keeps fuel moving towards the front of the car. Moving fuel has momentum which helps offset the g-force at launch.

5. When using a return regulator, you can set the fuel pressure even when the engine is not running.

6. When using a return regulator, the bypass at the pump (internal or external) should be disabled. This leaves one less thing to go wrong.

If you are not sure if you want to run a dead-head or a return regulator, we offer one that can function either way:

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/regulator.html

Designing a better mouse trap always seems to lead to the evolution of smarter mice. www.robbmcperformance.com
Re: What's better. Bypass pump or Bypass Regulator? [Re: Hunted Duck] #514153
11/02/09 12:48 PM
11/02/09 12:48 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Bypass regulator is the best set up for many reasons,but for cost,simplicity and basic function the bypass at the pump for the adverage bracket or class car is sufficient if running carbs and N/A on gas,We have 12 second to 8 second cars that function fine with bypass pumps.Bypass regulators are still the best way to go for hi-hp,alcohol,blowen,turboed and other power added applications.AS not to misunderstand,I'am taking about bypass regulators at the engine since most bypass pumps are also regulated(but at the pump)

Re: What's better. Bypass pump or Bypass Regulator? [Re: B G Racing] #514154
11/02/09 07:16 PM
11/02/09 07:16 PM
madison, ohio
modified1090 Offline
enthusiast
modified1090  Offline
enthusiast

madison, ohio
Quote:

but for cost,simplicity and basic function the bypass at the pump for the adverage bracket or class car is sufficient if running carbs and N/A on gas,We have 12 second to 8 second cars that function fine with bypass pumps.

i've had the same bypass pump running on my car for nearly a quarter century now. yea its loud but even as loud as it could get i cant hear it with the car running i'm only running a single carb on e85 so my fuel demands are not real high.