11/03/09 01:06 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

John, I run them tighter until the bore gets large enough and the piston short enough that after a few thousand miles of use the piston rock takes up a bit of the quench. From what I've seen, which is limited I admit... Once you're past the 440 +.030 bore the pistons can rock a bit. Add to that the loss in skirt and stability from the stroked crank and the extra sideways pushing.... I want to make sure nothing hits after a bunch of miles. No other reason than that. But remember I'm starting at .030. Guys starting at .040 dont have to worry. As things wear, that distance gets tighter as the piston changes direction.

Thanks Dave , the engines I'm working on are stock stroke /stock rod so I don't need to be concerned. Any strokers I am building are open chamber but Hi compression and the quench distance isn't close enough to be a concern with piston rock high compression and

Re: Quench [Re: 360view] #512239
11/08/09 11:59 AM
11/08/09 11:59 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Famous retired Chrysler engineer
Pete Hagenbuch
on Squish and Quench:

What was involved in going from the A engines to the LA engines?

You know I don’t really remember any problems, there had to be some but I can’t remember anything serious enough to be worth talking about; even the performance improved by getting rid of the silly polysphere. A wedged chamber does have some advantages. One of the advantages is that you can build in a lot of what we call squish, where the chamber is just part of the cylinder head surface and the piston have a flat area that matches up with it, because squish is why you can run 12 to 1 on a wedge head because without squish you would have to run 9 to 1. It gets the charge moving and mixed, you know moving through the chamber at high velocity which means the flame travel is fast and there isn’t anything left to burn by the time it gets to top dead center where you expect the detonation. Anything that reduces detonation also helps reduce pre-ignition which is catastrophic.

Detonation can lead to pre-ignition because of the rise in temperature. If you are in more or less constant detonation then sooner or later you going to hole a piston, its going to become pre-ignition which means it starts burning the minute the intake valve opens which means that the full force of the combustion is working against the piston going up and things get really hot in there, and aluminum melts at around 1200°.

So the wedge would also be good for emissions then if everything burns cleanly?

Yes it is, and the hemi is not. If you look at our hemi it has squish, a full 360°. That is the feature that a lot of fluff book writers use to jokingly call a semi-hemi. But I think once they have driven one they don’t call it a semi-hemi anymore.

Do you mean the current one?

The current one. (5.7)

The most outstanding thing about the current hemi is we make money on it. We didn’t make money on the others, they were too expensive.
end quote

from

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/hagenbuch-interview2.html

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3