10/30/09 04:14 PM
10/30/09 04:14 PM
Georgia
W
wh23g3g Offline OP
wh23g3g  Offline OP
W

Georgia
I wasn't sure that I had the timing right on my newly rebuilt 400-4bbl for my 73 Charger. So I removed the wires from the cap and removed the distributor again. This time I had someone hold their finger over the #1 to feel for air while I turned the damper to 0 on the timing mark. The piston was at TDC and it was compression for sure. So I looked down at the oil pump driveshaft it was perfectly parallel with the cam and crank. So I proceeded to install the distributor. I aligned the rotor with the #1 on the cap and the slot was perfectly parallel to the slot in the driveshaft so it went it. I then connected the #1 wire to the terminal and proceeded to install the rest of the wires counterclockwise through the firing order. So that's where I stopped. That's as far as the books go for distributor and basic timing installation. My question is now. How is it going to even start if I never adjusted the timing to be at 7.5 degrees BTC like the specs are for the 73 automatic 400-4bbl? Do I leave the damper where it is now on TDC compression? If I were to turn it to about 7.5 degrees before TDC now where should the rotor point? As of right now finding #1 at TDC on compression should that get it started?

Re: Rechecked 400 timing before installation of engine [Re: wh23g3g] #511665
10/30/09 05:18 PM
10/30/09 05:18 PM
chicagoland,usa
B
buildanother Offline
I Live Here
buildanother  Offline
I Live Here
B

chicagoland,usa
It should start but act a little weak. I would twist the distrib a hair or two clockwise to apply a little advance.

Re: Rechecked 400 timing before installation of engine [Re: buildanother] #511666
10/30/09 06:13 PM
10/30/09 06:13 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Just give it a try. If it cranks easy bit doesn't start advance the timing a little. If it cranks slowly the retard the timing. It's not that critical to begin with. It doesn't have to be exact to start. Horse shoes and hand gernades works.

Re: Rechecked 400 timing before installation of engine [Re: wh23g3g] #511667
10/30/09 07:28 PM
10/30/09 07:28 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

So I removed the wires from the cap and removed the distributor again. This time I had someone hold their finger over the #1 to feel for air while I turned the damper to 0 on the timing mark. The piston was at TDC and it was compression for sure. So I looked down at the oil pump driveshaft it was perfectly parallel with the cam and crank. So I proceeded to install the distributor. I aligned the rotor with the #1 on the cap and the slot was perfectly parallel to the slot in the driveshaft so it went it. I then connected the #1 wire to the terminal and proceeded to install the rest of the wires counterclockwise through the firing order. So that's where I stopped.

You got it perfect so far. (1) Now facing the eng turn the crank CCW(backwards) a bit until the marks are at ~ 10 or 15 BTDC then go back CW very carefully & hit 7.5 BTDC. (2) turn the dist housing (CW) until(with the rotor at #1 terminal) the closest(to the magnet) reluctor tooth is even with the magnet slot then a hair past the magnet. Snug the dist down just the right amt so you can still turn it w some effort so you can still turn it when you set your timing w the light & on the rotor phasing it(the rotor) will be be more CCW in relation to the #1 cap terminal than it is now.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth