Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 37 38
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Mopar Grandpa] #505997
10/27/09 05:58 PM
10/27/09 05:58 PM
New York
J
jagrunt551 Offline
enthusiast
jagrunt551  Offline
enthusiast
J

New York
Great stories!!! I grew up around Lake George, NY which was a summertime resort town. In the 60s and early 70s it was a car show every night of the week in the Summer. Being 60, I just love to hear the stories and did have some great races myself. Times have changed and so have the laws. I guess that maybe I should give up building this 82 stepside and just turn in my license.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: jagrunt551] #505998
10/27/09 06:16 PM
10/27/09 06:16 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Tom_440 Offline
master
Tom_440  Offline
master

Las Vegas, NV
Back in 1984 we used a strip of freeway in San Jose, CA as a drag strip. We would just get on highway 85 in the middle of the night, park in the first 2 lanes, and go for it. There was no traffic! I remember drifting sidways at a certain curve in the road at a hundred and something in my '72 340 Challenger...it was a blast having no "end" to the 1/4 mile track. Too bad the highway was not banked.

I was less mature then and had a couple of fun races through the hills with the local law enforcement on my tail. I did not get caught or I'd probably still be in jail. My two craziest friends later joined the local police force...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Mopar Grandpa] #505999
11/03/09 08:31 AM
11/03/09 08:31 AM
boston mass-moving to long isl...
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

Quote:

Quote:

if u street raced in the 60's/early 70's in nyc, it started and ended on south ave. in staten island...

Any good stories that you'd like to share with the young pups?

well grandpa... south ave was about 1 mile of service road next to the expressway, straight as an arrow, in an unbuilt area. some nites there would be 100 cars lined up next to one another awaiting the flagman to drop the flag. cars would be trailered in from nearby new jersey. on the side of the road before the starting line, there were cars jacked up, putting on their slicks..the racing would go on for hrs. every now n then a police car would 'happen' by, a few words would be exchanged, there would be a 'handshake' , and off leo would go, and the racing would continue..... until one nite during a race when one of the participants did not stop at the end of the 1mile strip, went thru the stop sign, and broadsided a car with 3 girls in it, killing the 3 of them...

that sort of brought the racing on south ave to a halt.

but for a short time, the racing there was better then going to e-town or national speedway...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: massdaytona] #506000
11/03/09 10:40 AM
11/03/09 10:40 AM
NEW JERSEY
AARCONV Offline
master
AARCONV  Offline
master

NEW JERSEY
back then, street racing in brooklyn on fountain ave..you need to know when the race is over and u are beat...some people continue way passed when the race ended and end up crashing....reckless knuckleheads..just to say they beat you...even now..kids come up to me and want to race...in a quick 1/4 i can beat you...passed that...I give up...it's not worth the time to take it till the end...i'm not geared for that .... plus i'm not dealing with the law anymore...been there done that...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: AARCONV] #506001
11/03/09 10:48 AM
11/03/09 10:48 AM
Queens, New York
H
Harley Offline
super stock
Harley  Offline
super stock
H

Queens, New York
Here is a link of some street racing history that went on in Queens New York.
http://www.connectinghighway.com/

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Mopar Grandpa] #506002
11/03/09 11:52 AM
11/03/09 11:52 AM
Pendleton NY
T
terzmo Offline
top fuel
terzmo  Offline
top fuel
T

Pendleton NY
Quote:

I posted a thread that was directed to the 16-35 year old Mopar group and it is having a pretty good response. A few of them wanted to hear some of our (over 40?) stories from our teenage years as it related to our cars, racing, etc.

This request reminded me of the weekends hanging out at the local drive-in burger joints showing our rides off, looking for a good race for the evening and just being around a bunch of like minded gear heads. But most of all it reminded me of going from burger joint to burger joint looking for the kid from another high school that thought he had a fast car and then taking him out on the interstate and blowing his doors off.

Having said this I am in no way promoting street racing, it is dangerous and illegal, but the "Young Guns" like hearing our stories so if you have a particular memory that you would like to share please do so. I think they will enjoy hearing about our past as much as we enjoy remembering it.

Street racing?? Still do it since I had My license issued 9/66....but not very often. Problem,as I see it, is the "young guns" don't know when it's over. In the 60's, if You took a guy off the line and He wasn't gaining after a half block or so...it was over and both backed down...they knew who was quicker. Today, they want to be "fast and furious" and run for miles.

I enjoyed the light to light...block to block runs..even the "old" people of then raced. Was funny to see a 4 door 58 pontiac and a 61 plymouth station wagon "peeling" out.

I can't go out with My GTX or BEE without having some youngster pull up next to Me with a ricer and revvin the crap out of it wanting to "drag" Waste of time, no competition. When My cars are in the driveway, some even stop and "chirp" their tires in front of My house....LOL...or hit passing gear when going by emitting that "fart can" sound only they can appreciate.

So's here's one...in the 60's..a subburb of Buffalo Ny decided to let a patrolman go on traffic duty with His 66 GTO. He'd pull up alongside a chevelle,mustang,mopar, whatever and give it a small rev(signal for"let's get it on")
So the unsuspecting "rodder" would jump...smoke tires...look over and see a big fat red light emitting from the competition. Usually got ticketed for improper start and speeding.

My buddy had his license suspended for 9 points in 1 year. He decides it's time to go down to the local strip,Him driving. Well, He gets pulled over and gets arrested for speeding,improper start and of course,suspended license. After bail and a few days, court date. Judge fines Him 200 dollars and suspends His license for 1 year. My buddy starts smiling and the Judge asks why? Friend says," I have orders for southeast asia for a year,I'll pick it up if I make it back" The Judge still enforced the suspension but waived the 200 dollars.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: terzmo] #506003
11/03/09 12:05 PM
11/03/09 12:05 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
I haven't street raced since 80s, but we did race out on I-275 here in town before it was opened! Each weekend it would change because of the construction progress. I'm 49 and hung out with some guys who were about 10 years older than me and they told me about when the local cops would shut down the road for a little while so a couple of cars could race. Times were way different 40 years ago.

I really glad I was able to race big time with the NHRA on a track, many tracks all over the country, thanks to everyone that helped me.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: massdaytona] #506004
11/03/09 12:59 PM
11/03/09 12:59 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

I was the Flagman at for a few good years on South. Tuesday and Wednesday nights there after the cruise/show over on Hylan Blvd.
Thursday and Friday nights was over to Fountain Ave to be the Flagman there also. I was applauded by the racers and the crowd upon arriving each and every night.
The Conduit guys never appreciated me because of the Big $$$ involved over at their races, too much cheating to have a good arm drop guy between the Pro-stocks.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506005
11/03/09 02:06 PM
11/03/09 02:06 PM
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

Quote:

I was the Flagman at for a few good years on South. Tuesday and Wednesday nights there after the cruise/show over on Hylan Blvd.
Thursday and Friday nights was over to Fountain Ave to be the Flagman there also. I was applauded by the racers and the crowd upon arriving each and every night.
The Conduit guys never appreciated me because of the Big $$$ involved over at their races, too much cheating to have a good arm drop guy between the Pro-stocks.

so u probably remember the vietnam vet (forget his name) who was blind, had a fuelie vette, that would pull in front of wetsons on forrest ave and pop wheelie's.. then he build a monster 64 lemans which was a street animal... i'll remember his name and post it...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: massdaytona] #506006
11/03/09 02:57 PM
11/03/09 02:57 PM
California
mickm Offline
master
mickm  Offline
master

California
grew up in denver, where the cruise was downtown on friday and saturday nights. seemed like it was a cop for every two people there, and you so much as let your tire hit a yellow line, and it was a ticket!

racing was out on a service road by I-70. same story every time, gather until the cops came to shut it down. cops were total jerks too, this "my territory" attitude. once again, any little thing they could ticket you for...

but it was great, i was only 12 or so, watching these cars go for it at the drop of the flagman's arm. lots of fast cars to, occasionally one would be towed in.

my best story though...

68 hemi gtx 4 speed, black on black, stock with headers. car ran pretty bad most of the time i owned it. lived in denver, and it was a sea level car, and for some reason that i never found out, (just fixed it), it was starving for fuel above 4500 or so. so it was running really rich and really lean at the same time. but before i sold it, i got it all dialed in and it was running really strong.

was in the parking lot of the guy who re-painted the car. 69 chevelle pulls in, rumbling like a small earthquake. someone mentioned that was tim, he and his dad owned a machine shop that built race engines. everyone went to look at the car. don't remember all the details, but a well built 396 with a turbo 400.

after a few minutes i said, out of nowhere, "want to race?". "yea sure, what?" i pointed over to my car thinking, what the hell did i just do that for? i was just going to make a fool of myself. i knew that the gtx was fast, but a built car from engine to rear end?

ah well, i decided. would look worse if i backed down. a friend said, "he's got a buddy with him, i'll ride with you!" i almost said no, as i didn't want the extra weight, but i went for it.

we get the cars out on a nice long, long straight stretch of open road, right in front of the body shop. no other cars. 20mph or so, and my friend with his arm out the window drops his hand. i slip the clutch a little and nail it. we both took off at the exact same time, no hesitation, a great start! all the way through first, we are dead even. i shift into second, and i pull about 1/2 a fender length in front, shift into third and jump to almost half a car length, 4th and i am close to a car length in front of him!

we shut it down and bring it back down to about 20 again. my friend can hardly believe it, i'm thinking "[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean], i knew this thing was fast, but not this fast", the guy in the chevelle is looking like i just sideswiped him or something.

we go for it again, and by 4th, i have him by a car length! (long road, 6th ave viaduct in denver) i can hardly believe it, proud as hell of putting that car back together!

we exit and turn around to come back. we go for it a third time and my buddy says "give him a car length this time, you'll still beat him!" "what the hell" i thought. we went for it, and by the time i nailed it, he was a little more than a car length ahead of me. not sure why this time was different, but by the time i hit fourth, i hadn't gained at all on him, we were still in the same position.

but it was clear that the first two races were mine, and the third would have at least been a draw if i had started at the same time.

didn't go for it again, even though we had the road, but met back at the paint shop parking lot. everyone was waiting to see what happened, and the guy in the chevelle was all excuses! babbling about the transmission slipping. refused to believe me when i said it was all stock except for the headers. said "man, that is the fastest mopar i've ever raced..."

now i knew the gtx was fast, but it was still stock. i was proud as hell, and was just a smug smile from ear to ear, but also was thinking that for a built car, that chevelle was pretty slow!

my best race experience ever, and [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] do i miss that car!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: mickm] #506007
11/03/09 05:09 PM
11/03/09 05:09 PM
Eastern,NC
68GTS383 Offline
pro stock
68GTS383  Offline
pro stock

Eastern,NC
In 1972 I was a junoir in high school. I purchased a real 69 CUDA 340 Red with black CUDA striping. One saturday nite I was cruising a local hang out. As I pulled into the parking lot going out the other side of the parking lot were a 68 or 69 Road Runner and a 64 Belvedere big block.They were heading out in the country to race. They stopped at the last stop light heading out of town. The Road Runner was in the left lane and the Belvedere in the right.I lined up behind the RR and the light turned green and everybody launched. The RR eased past the Belvedere and then I went on by the RR. I had worked my way into their race and out ran both of them! There were several other street races that my CUDA 340 won. That car also out ran three NC Highway patrolmen and a couple of local deputies. All of these happened at seperate times! I had my brake and tail lights on toggle switches. I could turn them completely off! I still don't why GOD let me outlive that car!!!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: 68GTS383] #506008
11/03/09 05:53 PM
11/03/09 05:53 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
In the mid 70s I had a 73 Duster 340 not much done gears, headers, and a few bolt ons. We used to hang out at a Burger King in Parsippany NJ. my friends at the time had a 70 340 Dart, 69 340 Dart and a 71 Demon 340. We all used to street race. I ran a local hotshot in an AMX right out in front of the BK and beat him, another time we shut down Rte 287 so I could race a 75 Camaro which I also beat. There used to be street racing on 287 back then because it was a dead end and unfinished. The Burger King is still there and who would of thought I`d end up buying a house 3 miles from there. I don`t know what happened to all my friends or their cars the guy with the 69 Dart built a 70 Duster 360 that we took to the Car Craft Street Machine Nats in 78 and he bracket raced it for awhile but hasn`t been around in 4 or 5 years.I took my Duster in 79 I drove it there and had fun. I bought my present Dart in 82 and have bracket raced it ever since. I`ve heard some great street racing stories about Avenue "P" in Newark but I`ve never been there. At my local track on test and tune days there are always a couple of No Time cars so you know they`re street racers.

Last edited by 11secdart; 11/03/09 05:57 PM.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506009
11/03/09 09:02 PM
11/03/09 09:02 PM
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

Quote:

the blind vietnam vet who owned the vette and later the lemans was named elliot... not sure 1st or last name,,,,

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: massdaytona] #506010
11/03/09 09:53 PM
11/03/09 09:53 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Did not ever see him.
I was there during the early to mid 80's
Fountain Avenue also.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: massdaytona] #506011
11/03/09 09:54 PM
11/03/09 09:54 PM
Sebring, Florida
M
Mopar Grandpa Offline OP
top fuel
Mopar Grandpa  Offline OP
top fuel
M

Sebring, Florida
These stories are really great. I don't know about you but when I read them it takes me back to those days, I can see the races, relive the excitement and feel the joy long past but our memories will live on and I think it's great to share them with the youngsters.

We used to race on I-74 quite a lot, this is in Indy. There was a Sunoco station at one of the interchanges and after midnight we would pull in, jack the car up and while one guy was pulling the street tires off and putting the slicks on his buddy was unbolting the exhaust from the collectors and opening up those headers. I think one of the coolest things we ever did, and did alot, was to entice a guy (from another high school of course) into a race. We said " we'll give you 3 car lenghts", well who wouldn't go for that? We told them "when you see or headlights raise then you go", we did not use flagmen. Well they didn't realize that by the time they reacted to or car launching we were already beside them in full momentum ready to take their money. They never caught on. Now when we took their money it was for big bucks, $25.00 and back then (1967) that was big money for a bunch of high schoolers.

So when you young guns see us sitting and just smiling chances are we are reliving those great days of street racing. However, take it to the drag strip and don't do it on the street. Times have changed, traffic is a lot different than back in our days so be smart and do it legally.

Okay, I'm ready for some more stories from you old farts!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Mopar Grandpa] #506012
11/03/09 10:09 PM
11/03/09 10:09 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
The best time I had was when I was going to the McDonalds one Oct evening. Ran across a guy on the street that had a stock red T/A Challenger, I was driving my built 390 '67 Mustang, both 4-speeds. We'd met before as we had a mutual friend and we both knew what each other had.

That road was the main drag thru the cruise area of Aurora, Ill. past the shopping centers and along the river.

There was about 10 or so traffic lights.

We drove side by side while talking the whole ways doing about 15 mph in a 30 or 35. We got stopped at each and every light. I'm sure all the cars behind us were expecing us to race sooner or later. I turned off into McDonalds and he went on home. The traffic finaly cleared out.

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: amxautox] #506013
11/03/09 11:05 PM
Sebring, Florida
M
Mopar Grandpa Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel
M

Sebring, Florida
Quote:

The best time I had was when I was going to the McDonalds one Oct evening. Ran across a guy on the street that had a stock red T/A Challenger, I was driving my built 390 '67 Mustang, both 4-speeds. We'd met before as we had a mutual friend and we both knew what each other had.

That road was the main drag thru the cruise area of Aurora, Ill. past the shopping centers and along the river.

There was about 10 or so traffic lights.

We drove side by side while talking the whole ways doing about 15 mph in a 30 or 35. We got stopped at each and every light. I'm sure all the cars behind us were expecing us to race sooner or later. I turned off into McDonalds and he went on home. The traffic finaly cleared out.

Okay, Okay. I liken this story to that high school girl friend, that would nibble on your ear, french kiss you to death, melt in your arms and then when you were just about to make your move she said..." well I have to go home now". We all had a name for those sweethearts and you know what it is, she was a _ _ _ _ _ teaser. This story puts me in the same frame of mind. Are you sure you didn't race that night? Were those your doors on the road? Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Mopar Grandpa] #506014
murfreesboro, TN
Q
Qbird Offline
mopar
Qbird  Offline
mopar
Q

murfreesboro, TN
Street racing...yup. I did some of that......

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Qbird] #506015
11/03/09 11:07 PM
11/03/09 11:07 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Say it isn't so...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Qbird] #506016
11/03/09 11:09 PM
11/03/09 11:09 PM
Sebring, Florida
M
Mopar Grandpa Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel
M

Sebring, Florida
Quote:

Wanna share a story with some of the young pups that are reading these posts? I think they enjoy hearing about our little racing habits of yesteryear.

Page 3 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 37 38