10/28/09 01:15 PM
10/28/09 01:15 PM
Memphis
HemiRick Offline
master
HemiRick  Offline
master

Memphis
Since no one has spoken up loudly about the Great Mega Squirt system I will have to....This system has evolved over the years and has now become much easier to deal with, as you can buy assembled units and the support is unbelievable as there's lots of ppl using it these days. The cost svaing over a FAST or Edelbrock system are considerable, but it is still not cheap. A wideband o2 sensor and a carb is much Cheaper and just as tunable. So I fully agree with the you just gotta want EFI....

Take care,
Rick
68 Coronet R/T 440 & 68 Charger 528 Hemi,and 5 Challengers! 6 cyl, 318, 360, 383, 451
Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: HemiRick] #505821
10/28/09 03:37 PM
10/28/09 03:37 PM
London, England
Gavin Offline
top fuel
Gavin  Offline
top fuel

London, England
To be honest, I would not bother going with a TBI/CFI setup, or a batch injection system. That would rule out some systems including Retrotek if I correctly remember it.
If you are going to go to the time and expense just get a SEFI system and be done with it. Get spark too.

Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: Gavin] #505822
10/28/09 04:19 PM
10/28/09 04:19 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
There’s a cult following to your suggestion, and I’ve read the ‘sequential debate’ in numerous forums - but getting a sequential system adds a BUNCH of complexity and cost over TBI. Things to ponder:

SEFI requires port injection, so there’s $300-600-worth of additional expense on the intake tract. You also need to add some type of cam sensing, or at least a crank trigger and some programming to count the revolutions correctly. GM TBI units are modifiable, fairly rugged, and dirt cheap -- even the 454 ones are reasonably-priced. Depending on one’s power requirements, a tweaked 454TBI setup with a Megasquirt2 can get you injected at around 350-375hp or so (and with spark control) for less than $1500.

Also, sequential loses its benefits above ~3000 RPM anyway because there isn’t enough time to squirt sufficient fuel only when the valve is open (those benefits were mostly for the OEMs and emissions regulations). Furthermore, squirting/wet flow on a closed valve (as in a batch or TBI system) gives the mixture a hot item to vaporize from (and vaporization is good!), so it’s a nebulous scenario.

Fuel spraying from an injector becomes cooler, but the wetflow thru a warm intake manifold has had a longer time to atomize. Plus, if you want to squirt at a closed valve in a bigblock Mopar head, you better find injectors that can squirt a curveball!

After I get 3-5 systems under my belt maybe I’ll feel differently, but for now a TBI unit is essentially a carburetor that’s fully-variable, almost fully-programmable, and won’t boil the fuel out on a hot day. That’s still a huge step upward IMHO, and a great way for a beginner to cut their teeth (or retreat if necessary).

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: Fury Fan] #505823
10/28/09 06:52 PM
10/28/09 06:52 PM
Sonora CA
Mopar_Rich Offline
top fuel
Mopar_Rich  Offline
top fuel

Sonora CA
Just a few comments ...

Quote:

You also need to add some type of cam sensing, or at least a crank trigger and some programming to count the revolutions correctly.

That's true. but both Accel DFI and FAST have dual-sync distributors for all Mopars and they aren't much more expensive than an off the shelf MSD.

Quote:

Also, sequential loses its benefits above ~3000 RPM anyway because there isn’t enough time to squirt sufficient fuel only when the valve is open (those benefits were mostly for the OEMs and emissions regulations).

True again, but it really does help smooth out a rough idle - and - it allows individual cylinder adjustments of both fuel and spark which I have been doing a lot lately to compensate for manifold differences. Of course this needs to be done on an engine dyno.

Quote:

Furthermore, squirting/wet flow on a closed valve (as in a batch or TBI system) gives the mixture a hot item to vaporize from (and vaporization is good!).

I partly agree. But batch fire systems hit the injector twice per rev and mostly at random so aren't assured of any specific timing. That twice per rev also makes the injector opening time a larger percentage of the total that starts to show up as the battery voltage varies.

Quote:

Fuel spraying from an injector becomes cooler, but the wetflow thru a warm intake manifold has had a longer time to atomize. Plus, if you want to squirt at a closed valve in a bigblock Mopar head, you better find injectors that can squirt a curveball!

Yep. But I time the idle fuel shot to occur after TDC when the intake valve is starting to open and the piston is drawing air. I can tame a fairly radical motor this way. Injecting into a running air flow seems to work very well. And as you said, as the RPM goes up this effect goes away.

Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: Dragula] #505824
10/29/09 12:58 AM
10/29/09 12:58 AM
levittown pa
fstfish66 Offline
top fuel
fstfish66  Offline
top fuel

levittown pa
one or 2 computers for this set up ?? whats the total price,,,looks intresting,,ide love to try it on a street driven blower motor,,with the junk in todays gas,, if the car isnt driven every day,,,the gas of today takes a toll on your rubber carb parts,,,ide like to hear more about this set up thanks,,

1966 barracuda prostreeter super charged 340(SOLD)
1940 dodge coupe 241 hemi street rod
2014 ram express hemi 4x4 dailey driver
2015 cherokee
2013 R/T classic
Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: fstfish66] #505825
10/29/09 03:35 AM
10/29/09 03:35 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Yes there is the debate between batch fire and sequential. It really depends on how radical the motor is IMO. If you're developing enough vacuum to run power brakes, I don't think you're going to notice much difference between the two compared to a 700 or 800hp race motor. Also depends on your budget, while no efi system is for the faint of wallet, the MS is the cheapest.

Currently MS only does batch firing, however the MS-II Sequencer is in beta testing right now. MS-II Sequencer does sequential plus individual cylinder fuel trimming.

For port efi versus tbi, that's a tough one. The stumbling block is the price of a decent flowing TBI. The GM 454 units don't even flow well at all in terms of air or fuel and to get the flow up there costs some $$$. If you're making 250-300hp, you're probably okay, but that's about tops. I have the cfm for them (converted from 2bbl flow to 4bbl flow) as well as the flow size of their injectors on my computer somewhere. I just remember the GM tbi's just aren't that good in stock form. And used 454 tbi's aren't the cheapest things out there either for the used piece you're getting. They can be modded for more flow but you quickly dig yourself into a hole in which you could have gone port efi for near the same price.

Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #505826
10/29/09 08:12 AM
10/29/09 08:12 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
This is one of the best discussions (informative and civil) that we’ve had on EFI yet! I agree with Daytona Turbo and MoparRich completely, higher-hp engines make a TBI setup less attractive. I don’t have any radical or 400+hp engines so the benefit of sequential tuning isn’t foremost in my mind.

I’ve scored 3 different 454 TBIs for around $75 each (the earlier ones with the 90lb@13psi injectors) and there is a guy on ebay that will bore them and put thinner blades in for about $175 shipped. One just has to be patient and bid on a lot of them to get a cheap one. Having a smallblock TBI for parts (dirt cheap) sometimes allows you to score a bare 454 casting cheap, too.

There are a few places that sell stiffer regulator springs and/or adjustable regulators so the fuel pressure can be turned up to 30+ PSI easily (which is the pressure the later-model 454s ran at). With a little ingenuity the regulator can be made adjustable at home for free.
90lbs (@ factory 13psi) = ~ 300hp, >>106lbs @ 18 psi (~360hp), >> 125lbs @ 25 psi (~425hp)

Yes, TBI cost goes up with hp level , but if you want port injection you either need a modified intake ($300 to ???), fuel rails ($75-100), a regulator ($100+), and injectors ($100-400 depending on size) plus you still need a throttle body for the air (all the 4V styles are $300+, and an elbow and single-bore TB is not much cheaper). At least if you run an RB there are 2 off-the-shelf intakes available (the Eddy Victor and the Eddy ProFlow XT) but those are $300 and $450 each. And if you’re a stock-head B-engine stroker guy, nobody is making a port manifold for that one.

And one thing we haven’t mentioned yet – if you want to hide EFI for a near-stock engine appearance TBI is the only way!

Anyway, I’m gonna start TBI and go from there because it’s simplest (thus far I’m all research, theory and fabrication, but millions of TBI cars prove it does work). I will eventually go to port as experimentation time permits. Hopefully I’ll have some results to report next spring!

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #505827
10/29/09 09:59 AM
10/29/09 09:59 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Quote:

Currently MS only does batch firing, however the MS-II Sequencer is in beta testing right now. MS-II Sequencer does sequential plus individual cylinder fuel trimming.

If you see more on this in the future
please post links on Moparts.

I would be willing to take the plunge for a MegaSquirt-II
if it could do this reliably
along with a Wide Band O2 sensor.

I would like to try some 18 to 24 air to fuel ratios on 'lean cruise'
but worry that without sequential injection and individual cylinder trimming
the engine roughness at low rpms would be too much.

Any idea if MegaSquirt-II
can handle operating the EGR valve too?

Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: fstfish66] #505828
10/29/09 12:01 PM
10/29/09 12:01 PM
Sonora CA
Mopar_Rich Offline
top fuel
Mopar_Rich  Offline
top fuel

Sonora CA
Quote:

one or 2 computers for this set up ?? whats the total price,,,

Full FAST Sequencial XFI system:
ECU (only one) $1600
Main harness $350
Injector harness $120
Dual-sync distributor $399
1250 CFM 4150 style throttle body $540
Sensors (air temp, water temp, map) $60
So you're right at $3100

You'd need an EFI intake manifold (Edelbrock sells the least expensive one) and the injectors are a function of the HP level.

Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: 360view] #505829
10/29/09 12:09 PM
10/29/09 12:09 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Fury Fan, sounds like we have the same idea. I was able to scrounge up most of the parts for my port efi conversion for not too much $. Bought a second-hand but new in box eddy victor efi intake for my 440, bulk fuel rail extrusion which I will have to cut, drill and tap myself as well as fab up my own fuel rail hold-downs. I was able to scrounge a new fuel pressure regulator out of my 4cyl turbo dodge parts as well as a set of 42 lb injectors for $100. Other than rigging together the plumbing, the throttle body is the last thing on my list. Like you say, a 4bbl throttle body is not cheap. I've got a bosch idle air valve I can use for my fast idle if need be and have been tinkering with the idea of modding a spare/junk mechanical secondary carb into a throttle body if I can successfully mate a throttle position sensor to it and seal off the air bypasses. Also planned to take either a lean burn distributor or a stock distributor with advance locked out to run the input to the MS for spark control.

You are right though, TBI is the only way to do a stealth fuel injection setup. You can tuck a tbi under an air cleaner so at a glance nobody would know. I had considered picking up an eddy CH-28 dual carb intake and mating two GM tbi's to it. Put an oval 6-pack/hemi style air cleaner on it and it'd look great. However since I daily drive my mopar in the decent months and because I have aluminum heads w/o the heated cross over, I kinda wanted to get rid of the wet flow all together. Not that it's a big deal either way though. Intake choice depends a lot on your build too. The victor efi intake isn't for everyone and it is a tall intake.

I really wanted to get the MS-2 on my car this year, but between having my motor out for an overhaul and my tranmission crapping out on me, I just couldn't make it happen. Oh well, I will make sure to have everything ready for next spring.

Quote:

Any idea if MegaSquirt-II
can handle operating the EGR valve too?

Will do. msefi.com is the main megasquirt forum, however the sequencer is a version of the microsquirt and their forum section is microsquirt.com

I just did some looking and the MS-3 unit(ms3efi.com) is also in beta testing right now. I haven't been keeping up with their developments because I already have my MS-2 sitting on the shelf waiting for me. The MS-2 Sequencer is said to do fully sequential fuel/spark with individual cylinder trimming by a set %. The MS-3 claims it will have a mappable trim for each cylinder. So they've got two systems in the works they say will do full sequential but neither are in the production stages yet. And MS development tends to move very slowly. I think this time especially they want to do a lot of testing before release to work as many bugs out of it as possible. I wouldn't expect either of those systems to be available for quite some time yet.

MS has fully programable outputs you can use, others have used them to control EGR though I never really looked into it.

I'm sure no expert on the megasquirt systems and I know mine will not do everything the high $ systems will but it should do what I want it to do. There are other great systems out there that do all the fun stuff but MS was really the only one I had the budget to look at.

Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #505830
10/29/09 01:28 PM
10/29/09 01:28 PM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Other than rigging together the plumbing, the throttle body is the last thing on my list. Like you say, a 4bbl throttle body is not cheap. I've got a bosch idle air valve I can use for my fast idle if need be and have been tinkering with the idea of modding a spare/junk mechanical secondary carb into a throttle body if I can successfully mate a throttle position sensor to it and seal off the air bypasses. Also planned to take either a lean burn distributor or a stock distributor with advance locked out to run the input to the MS for spark control.

board member whiplash on here (haven't seen him 'round these parts in a long time tho) made a TB for his MPFI setup using a holley baseplate and a 4 hole spacer. IIRC he was able to rig both an IAC and a TPS onto it....

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: patrick] #505831
10/29/09 01:39 PM
10/29/09 01:39 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

board member whiplash on here (haven't seen him 'round these parts in a long time tho) made a TB for his MPFI setup using a holley baseplate and a 4 hole spacer. IIRC he was able to rig both an IAC and a TPS onto it....

That's basically what I was thinking. I know somehwere on the net I saw pics of a guy who very cleanly mated a TPS to a holley. But I do have a junk thermoquad with a good base and a spreadbore 4-hole spacer in my parts bin. May tinker around with that a bit.

Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #505832
10/29/09 03:59 PM
10/29/09 03:59 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
I bought a used system several years ago. It's an old Electromotive TEC II(Total Engine Control). It is fully capable distributorless semi-sequential EFI system. It fires injectors in pairs but not in true "batch" style. It does not revert to firing salvos at higher rpm. There are lots of options and features like valet mode and a two-step limiter. It's pretty good for it's age and will still hold it's own against many current EFI offerings.
This thing is out of production and has very little aftermarket or tuner support because it works a bit backwards when compared to common systems. You must set the maximum injector on time and then cut it back for non-WOT settings. The Electromotive guys still help me out if I need it. They've even told me they could dyno tune the motor if I took it to their shop. The replacement is the TEC III. It's a pretty good system and a worthy replacement for the older TEC II. It simply hasn't caught on like the other systems available.
You can download setup instructions and the operating system free at getfuelinjected.com

You can always go custom on the intake like I did. It's an old Weiand tunnel ram with a 2000 Cobra throttle body and a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate for a plenum. The sides of the plenum are made from 3" aluminum pipe. Generic injector bungs and bulk fuel rail were used.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: feets] #505833
10/29/09 05:47 PM
10/29/09 05:47 PM
SHELBY TWP,,MICHIGAN
72N96RR Offline
I LOVE WEDGIES
72N96RR  Offline
I LOVE WEDGIES

SHELBY TWP,,MICHIGAN

1972 Road Runner / GTX 440 4spd Dana 3.54 Just about to turn 26K original miles..

A boat, a GMC truck, some Craftsman Tools, LOTS of Zombie Protection, and a few Goldfish..

If you love someone set them free..
If they come back it means nobody else wanted them either..!!
Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: 72N96RR] #505834
10/29/09 06:46 PM
10/29/09 06:46 PM
Mesa, AZ
P
Pat_Whalen Offline
super gas
Pat_Whalen  Offline
super gas
P

Mesa, AZ
If you're considering EFI and like to tinker/explore/learn, then MegaSquirt is your best choice. I'm currently piecing together my system for a 440.

Auto-nomics ( www.auto-nomics.com ) has bare throttle bodies that can have TPS or IAC installed on them for 75 beans:

Or you can buy an entire kit, minus MegaSquirt controller. It has basically everything you need to get up and running:

There is a VERY informative thread over at www.Ramchargercentral.com that user GunPilot put together chronicalling his journeys into the EFI world:

http://ramchargercentral.com/index.php/topic,84098.0.html

It's only 7 pages, so a quick read, and has every piece of information you could want or need to get a dodge v8 EFI'd. I think three or four other people chimed in on that thread talking about prices and out the door, the Megasquirt system and all accessories are around 700-900 bucks. I think someone found out that the autonomics kit was around $1000, and the current Megasquirt v3 board with the MSII chip is aroudn $250. Can't beat that, I don't think.

Re: Anyone running aftermarket EFI on their cars ? [Re: Mopar_Rich] #505835
10/30/09 01:23 AM
10/30/09 01:23 AM
levittown pa
fstfish66 Offline
top fuel
fstfish66  Offline
top fuel

levittown pa
thanks for replying with the info,,

1966 barracuda prostreeter super charged 340(SOLD)
1940 dodge coupe 241 hemi street rod
2014 ram express hemi 4x4 dailey driver
2015 cherokee
2013 R/T classic
Page 2 of 2 1 2