10/10/09 02:45 AM
10/10/09 02:45 AM
New Port Richey, Florida
Wolfe440 Offline OP
enthusiast
Wolfe440  Offline OP
enthusiast

New Port Richey, Florida
Every time I come back from driving my 440 six pack Challenger and park it in the garage, 15 min or so later I smell fuel fumes. So for the last several times when I finish driving it I do an absolute check of everything and find no leaks, just the smell. Tonight I came home about 2am, garage started to smell soon after. This time in the absolute quiet of 2am I could just hear a soft noise from the carbs. I soon identified the noise was coming from fuel boiling in the bowls...hence the likely source of my fumes. The car runs at a perfect 170 and never overheats, everything is new and perfect shape. Its the cast iron intake, has the intake gaskets with the heat crossover blocked.

Any ideas as to what I can do to stop this?
Does anyone make heat spacers for these carbs?
Thanks
Wolfe

Re: Carb Fuel Smell [Re: Wolfe440] #492865
10/10/09 02:55 AM
10/10/09 02:55 AM
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
D_C Offline
pro stock
D_C  Offline
pro stock

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Depending on your air-cleaner setup and hood clearance, you should be able to find Phenolic spacers, and/or mount a heat-deflector (sheet-aluminum) placed under the carbs.

If you can't buy pre-made ones, you could fabricate your own.

Re: Carb Fuel Smell [Re: D_C] #492866
10/10/09 03:10 AM
10/10/09 03:10 AM
New Port Richey, Florida
Wolfe440 Offline OP
enthusiast
Wolfe440  Offline OP
enthusiast

New Port Richey, Florida
Air filter is the factory one, there is more room under hood for a different one. I also wonder about it, being that its so big and wide, it must trap a lot of heat under it and around the carbs. It almost reaches out to touch the valve covers. I have seen the triple small individual ones, expensive though. Go for spacers first and see if helps. Was hoping they were easy to find. Can make them if have to, done it before, just a pain in rear.

This comes along just when I thought I was finished with everything. lol.
Thanks
Wolfe

Re: Carb Fuel Smell [Re: Wolfe440] #492867
10/10/09 07:19 AM
10/10/09 07:19 AM
closer to Canadian beer!
torkrules Offline
I'm neurotic
torkrules  Offline
I'm neurotic

closer to Canadian beer!
Quote:

Every time I come back from driving my 440 six pack Challenger and park it in the garage, 15 min or so later I smell fuel fumes. So for the last several times when I finish driving it I do an absolute check of everything and find no leaks, just the smell. Tonight I came home about 2am, garage started to smell soon after. This time in the absolute quiet of 2am I could just hear a soft noise from the carbs. I soon identified the noise was coming from fuel boiling in the bowls...hence the likely source of my fumes. The car runs at a perfect 170 and never overheats, everything is new and perfect shape. Its the cast iron intake, has the intake gaskets with the heat crossover blocked.

Any ideas as to what I can do to stop this?
Does anyone make heat spacers for these carbs?
Thanks
Wolfe

What year car? Are you sure the fumes are from the carbs? Could be the gas tank vents spilling a small amount a fuel if it does not have an evap system.

Re: Carb Fuel Smell [Re: torkrules] #492868
10/10/09 11:42 AM
10/10/09 11:42 AM
New Port Richey, Florida
Wolfe440 Offline OP
enthusiast
Wolfe440  Offline OP
enthusiast

New Port Richey, Florida
Its a 1970 Challenger. Its not venting, that was also my first suspicion, I've had problems over the years there before, but no evidence of a problem this time.
Your nose leads you straight to the carbs where its very strong. Take the filter off and it really hits you. No leaks anywhere, I even took the carbs off and looked for any problems, none found.
I have the standard metal fuel line branching to each carb, its real close to the iron intake and picking up a whole lot of heat. Last night it was super hot when I checked it, could not even touch it but for a second. I'm sure this preheating of the fuel just before its delivery is not helping. When the boiling stopped so did the smell. I found some .250 thick base gaskets, and I am going to wrap the fuel line with some asbestos and see if it this helps. Thanks, Wolfe

Re: Carb Fuel Smell [Re: D_C] #492869
10/10/09 07:20 PM
10/10/09 07:20 PM
Orleans, Ontario
moparcanuk Offline
pro stock
moparcanuk  Offline
pro stock

Orleans, Ontario
Quote:

Depending on your air-cleaner setup and hood clearance, you should be able to find Phenolic spacers, and/or mount a heat-deflector (sheet-aluminum) placed under the carbs.

If you can't buy pre-made ones, you could fabricate your own.

I tried to install one of these on my 440 4-bbl but there is not enough clearance for the air grabber setup.

Re: Carb Fuel Smell [Re: moparcanuk] #492870
10/11/09 02:34 AM
10/11/09 02:34 AM
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
D_C Offline
pro stock
D_C  Offline
pro stock

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Yes, that's why I said, "Depending on your air-cleaner setup and hood clearance,..."

Hood and air-cleaner clearance is a limiting factor. For some vehicles/setups, there IS room to add a thick spacer. On other applications there isn't.

I experienced similar conditions of boiling fuel and even vapor-lock as well. I added a thick phenolic spacer, a Holley aluminum heat-deflector plate and insulated fuel lines.

I also eventually added an electric fuel-pump with a bypass regulator and fuel-return lines.