Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #446858
08/23/09 09:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

NEVER had a 4 link ... but 7 degrees ?

On a suspension that should have ZERO change of pinion angle through the up and down movement.

That type of an angle is costing power.

In BOTH of my replies, I said LEAF SPRINGS.........

and with the pinion angle down 7* with a 4 link, it isn't losing an ET.......but that's for another thread.......

Quote:

another thing, not many if any leaf cars have a motor/tranny centerline angle going up.. just something to think about before you condem the method.

What's that got to do with anything? What's the output shaft angle in a jacked up 4 wheel drive truck in relationship to the pinion???? UP????

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: moparniac] #446859
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.

Mopar Performance
Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? #446860
08/23/09 09:56 PM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dIc dOc Deity !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
B S ...I did not read each and every post in detail...I was responding to mm's topic ...and that several people were saying 7 degrees.

And I disagree ... 7 down will cost power(maybe not much) ...on something that does-not need-it.

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: moparniac] #446861

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've seen that drawing here on Moparts a MILLION times and I understand it completely......but I did it that way, and it howled like a stuck hog when letting off the throttle.........so I'm not doing it that way ever again.........

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #446862
08/23/09 09:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

B S ...I did not read each and every post in detail...I was responding to mm's topic ...and that several people were saying 7 degrees.

And I disagree ... 7 down will cost power(maybe not much) ...on something that does-not need-it.

I said it wouldn't lose ET.......and that's all that matters........as long as it doesn't go above zero, you're peeing in the ocean to raise the tide and it's not even measureable.........

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? #446863
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

NEVER had a 4 link ... but 7 degrees ?

On a suspension that should have ZERO change of pinion angle through the up and down movement.

That type of an angle is costing power.

In BOTH of my replies, I said LEAF SPRINGS.........

and with the pinion angle down 7* with a 4 link, it isn't losing an ET.......but that's for another thread.......

Quote:

another thing, not many if any leaf cars have a motor/tranny centerline angle going up.. just something to think about before you condem the method.

What's that got to do with anything? What's the output shaft angle in a jacked up 4 wheel drive truck in relationship to the pinion???? UP????

have no idea, never drag raced a 4 wheel drive. I hear that brought up a lot but don't know why it's mentioned when setting up a drag car. bottom line you have to do what works for you

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: Quicktree] #446864
08/23/09 10:06 PM
08/23/09 10:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

have no idea, never drag raced a 4 wheel drive. I hear that brought up a lot but don't know why it's mentioned when setting up a drag car. bottom line you have to do what works for you

I compared it to them because you brought up me having lowered my K-frame which raised the tailshaft a few degrees.........

That's what I'm saying........it doesn't necessarily work.......There's a window where either way will work fine and NOBODY would be able to measure any ET difference anyway........I found out where the way you guys do it wouldn't work and I wanted to let people know......

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? #446865
08/23/09 10:08 PM
Michigan
H
Hemiroid Offline
super stock
Hemiroid  Offline
super stock
H

Michigan
Quote:

Like I'd mentioned.......that was with a leaf spring car, and it does have slicks, and it does make close to 600HP, and I does launch like I stole it......and I doesn't want the driveshaft to smack the floor pan when I do........been there, done that.....

The thing you're forgetting is that a LOT of places recommend 6 to 7* pinion angle with a leaf spring car that's making some poop, and my car would not work doing it that way.............that's all I'm saying........

I'll face the firing squad with ya Big I've kept my mouth shut while this subject has been debated here, but for 25+ years I've done it your way and never had a problem. For a leaf spring car, I line up the driveshaft with the pinion, then push the nose of the pinion down around 5 degrees. I just leave the u-bolts loose and push the rear end where I want it, then weld the perches.

Theory-craft and books are nice, but what works in practical application in the field and what the book says don't always jibe.

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: Quicktree] #446866
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
my way, Monte's way amd Wolfe race cars way http://www.wolferacecraft.com/pinionangle.aspx

enough said.

The Joker

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: sixpackgut] #446867
08/23/09 10:14 PM
08/23/09 10:14 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

my way, Monte's way amd Wolfe race cars way http://www.wolferacecraft.com/pinionangle.aspx

enough said.

The Joker

enough said if you buy into that, you can also find just as many who set it the other way. really I don't care how anybody sets theirs. people have to decide for themselves and learn the hard way I guess. now go make you another movie.

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: Quicktree] #446868
08/23/09 10:23 PM
08/23/09 10:23 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

enough said.

The Joker

enough said if you buy into that, you can also find just as many who set it the other way. really I don't care how anybody sets theirs. people have to decide for themselves and learn the hard way I guess. now go make you another movie.

untill you build a 4.70 1/8th mile stock suspension car i will keep listening to the guys who do. no need for a movie

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: sixpackgut] #446869
08/23/09 10:26 PM
08/23/09 10:26 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

enough said.

The Joker

untill you build a 4.70 1/8th mile stock suspension car i will keep listening to the guys who do. no need for a movie

have at it. cause I have no desire to build a stock suspension 4.70 car.

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: Quicktree] #446870
08/23/09 10:29 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.
I have a dumb question as usual! What if a guy like me is putting in a dana 60 from previously having a 8 3/4 which I am and dont have a driveshaft yet to go off the driveshaft method cause I need to set the car on its suspension and roll the pinion down and weld in the perches and need the rear done to get actual measuremnet for a new driveshaft

Last edited by *WeDgiE*; 08/23/09 10:30 PM.

Mopar Performance
Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: Quicktree] #446871
CheddarHead till October
weedlayer Offline
master
weedlayer  Offline
master

CheddarHead till October
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

enough said.

The Joker

why not u sceeeeered

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: moparniac] #446872
08/23/09 10:32 PM
08/23/09 10:32 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

I have a dumb question as usual! What if a guy like me is putting in a dana 60 from previously having a 8 3/4 which I am and dont have a driveshaft yet to go off the driveshaft method cause I need to set the car on its suspension and roll the pinion down and weld in the perches and need the rear done to get actual measuremnet for a new driveshaft

pinion angle is the last thing you do no matter which method you use. so you will have a shaft by then or you wont be racing anyway

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: weedlayer] #446873
08/23/09 10:34 PM
08/23/09 10:34 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

enough said.

The Joker

why not u sceeeeered

no not really, you sponsor it and I will build and drive it. how does that sound? when can I expect the first sponsor check?

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: Quicktree] #446874
08/23/09 10:38 PM
08/23/09 10:38 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.
Updated version: 4.96

Mopar Performance
Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: Quicktree] #446875
08/23/09 10:40 PM
08/23/09 10:40 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

enough said.

The Joker

so what do you desire? just pretending your a chassis guru?

wedgie's nonsensical chart

trans angle 2* down(like most mopars) set pinion angle 2* up. now the rear and trans centerline are in parallel. then what? what is the pinion angle at this point Mr Quicktree? is it ZERO? What if Calvert said to set pinion angle 2* down, ok, now the driveshaft is in a straight line with the pinion(a big no no on the chart) although not a big deal on a mopar because the engine is off center and there will still be movement inside the U joints BUT if the engine and rear are in line, this doesnt work. neither does setup on a stock suspension with just leaf springs.

i really wish you would explain your way better because the only lesson learned was big squeeze trying it your way and it doesnt work

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: sixpackgut] #446876
08/23/09 10:45 PM
08/23/09 10:45 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

enough said.

The Joker

so what do you desire? just pretending your a chassis guru?

wedgie's nonsensical chart

trans angle 2* down(like most mopars) set pinion angle 2* up. now the rear and trans centerline are in parallel. then what? what is the pinion angle at this point Mr Quicktree? is it ZERO? What if Calvert said to set pinion angle 2* down, ok, now the driveshaft is in a straight line with the pinion(a big no no on the chart) although not a big deal on a mopar because the engine is off center and there will still be movement inside the U joints BUT if the engine and rear are in line, this doesnt work. neither does setup on a stock suspension with just leaf springs.

i really wish you would explain your way better because the only lesson learned was big squeeze trying it your way and it doesnt work

I don't pretend to be anything, I am just an old bracket racer and do what works for me.

Re: can someone school me on setting pinion angle?? [Re: Quicktree] #446877
08/23/09 10:47 PM
08/23/09 10:47 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

enough said.

The Joker

why not u sceeeeered

no not really, you sponsor it and I will build and drive it. how does that sound? when can I expect the first sponsor check?

car never make it off the starting line and you would be blaming all the horsepower you make to the guys cleaning up the gear oil

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4