08/20/09 11:02 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Quote:

what is the purpose of the ballast resistor? can they be jumped?

Save the coil from max voltage on normal drive, graduating the voltage level as far the enviroment is getting hot at engine bay. With hotter enviroment, gas needs less spark power to ignition.

On Start up moment, resistor is bypassed from ign switch, feeding directly the coil at brown wire spliced at resistor, to max voltage, being engine/gas is theorically cold and harder to burn out.

ballast has NOTHING TO DO with distributors &/or modules, JUST with coils.

Double ballast have the secondary voltage to ECU, I guess to JUST graduate the dwell or something like that on spark control system, but I don't think to really FEED it. There is ppl who has been able to run 5 pins modules with single ballast, what does not mean was working good or perfect. 4 pins modules have the secondary resistor built in.

On multi spark systems, the multi sparks setup makes not to get full power constantly during teh spark moment, so every milisecond between sparks gets the time to get cold at least enough to not burn out the coil. At the ends works like a time dimmer, or a voltage relay regulator ( mechanical regulator ) but NOTE: not with the same object, That it was to give you an idea.

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: Stanton] #443023
08/20/09 11:16 AM
08/20/09 11:16 AM
Cincinnati, OH
6T6Cuda Offline
top fuel
6T6Cuda  Offline
top fuel

Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Well just out of curiosity, what did GM and Ford use so as not to burn out coils ????

I know GM does, they have a "resistance" wire that was part of the wiring harness..

Think changing a ballast resistor is hard in a mopar, try it in a GM

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: 6T6Cuda] #443024
08/20/09 11:21 AM
08/20/09 11:21 AM
Ont, Canada
gygeneral Offline
super stock
gygeneral  Offline
super stock

Ont, Canada
Is there a right and wrong way to plug in the ballast with the two plugs from the engine wiring harness.

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: aarcuda] #443025
08/20/09 12:08 PM
08/20/09 12:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

i dont agree with the post that says a ballast resistor is supposed to change resistance with temperature. .

You might not agree but you would be wrong. The fact that a BALLAST changes resistance is the entire reason it's called a ballast. Otherwise it would simply be a resistor. MOST resistors used in electronics are intended NOT to change resistance, even though they do somewhat, but they are NOT "BALLAST" resistors.

In the case of Chrysler, this is exactly what they are. Somewhere in the pile of old books around here, I've got documentation to back this up. I am NOT gonna spend time looking for it

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? #443026
08/20/09 12:25 PM
08/20/09 12:25 PM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Quote:

Quote:

i dont agree with the post that says a ballast resistor is supposed to change resistance with temperature. .

You might not agree but you would be wrong. The fact that a BALLAST changes resistance is the entire reason it's called a ballast. Otherwise it would simply be a resistor. MOST resistors used in electronics are intended NOT to change resistance, even though they do somewhat, but they are NOT "BALLAST" resistors.

In the case of Chrysler, this is exactly what they are. Somewhere in the pile of old books around here, I've got documentation to back this up. I am NOT gonna spend time looking for it

According to Wikipedia, a ballast resistor can be fixed or variable . The Mopar variety are probably variable to adjust for the different secondary current needed to fire the plugs under different loads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_ballast

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? #443027
08/20/09 12:34 PM
08/20/09 12:34 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

Quote:

okay. youre right. i retract my previous comment. I have just never heard that about a ballast resistor before you said it and my thinking was that a ballast resistor was simply a resistor.

i googled it and yes. youre right. a ballast resistor changes resistance based on the current flowing through it.

thanks for teaching me something i never knew

Quote:

Home > Library > Science > Sci-Tech Encyclopedia

A resistor that has the property of increasing in resistance as current flowing through it increases, and decreasing in resistance as current decreases. Therefore the ballast resistor tends to maintain a constant current flowing through it, despite variations in applied voltage or changes in the rest of the circuit. See also Resistor.

The ballast action is obtained by using resistive material that increases in resistance as temperature increases. Any increase in current then causes an increase in temperature, which results in an increase in resistance and reduces the current. Ballast resistors may be wire-wound resistors. Other types, also called ballast tubes, are usually mounted in an evacuated envelope to reduce heat radiation.

Ballast resistors have been used to compensate for variations in line voltage, as in some automotive ignition systems, or to compensate for negative volt-ampere characteristics of other devices, such as fluorescent lamps and other vapor lamps. See also Fluorescent lamp; Vapor lamp; Voltage regulator.

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: Evil Spirit] #443028
08/20/09 12:41 PM
08/20/09 12:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

According to Wikipedia, a ballast resistor can be fixed or variable . The Mopar variety are probably variable to adjust for the different secondary current needed to fire the plugs under different loads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_ballast

You misunderstood what they meant, there. A fixed resistor is a resistor that cannot be physically changed BY YOU. A variable resistor is like a volume control on your radio--has a knob on it or other manner to adjust the device.

A quote from the site:

"Ballasts are used where an electrical load cannot effectively regulate its current use. These are most often used when an electrical circuit or device presents a negative (differential) resistance to the supply. If such a device were connected to a constant-voltage power supply, it would draw an increasing amount of current until it was destroyed or caused the power supply to fail. To prevent this, a ballast provides a positive resistance or reactance that limits the ultimate current to an appropriate level. In this way, the ballast provides for the proper operation of the negative-resistance device by appearing to be a legitimate, stable resistance in the circuit."

What they mean by "positive resistance" is referring to temperature---As the coil / points circuit effective resistance goes down, because of changes in RPM, the coil tries to draw more, but as more current goes through the ballast it tends to heat up, and because it is a ballast instead of a "regular resistor" it has a POSITIVE temperature coefficient. That means that as it heats up it INCREASES in resistance, which now causes current through the circuit to try and drop.

All resistors have a temp coefficient, but ballasts specifically are designed to have a VERY LARGE one so that they DO change on purpous

"Ballast" sorta means "something to make something else stable" whether it's weight in the bottom of a sailboat or electrical.

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? #443029
08/20/09 01:01 PM
08/20/09 01:01 PM
USA
540DUSTER Offline
mopar
540DUSTER  Offline
mopar

USA
Can anybody remember when points used to make a pit on one point and a pile on the other?Ah the good old days when you had to file your points and use a dwell guage to set them.How about the compasiter(how you like that spelling?)that would soak up some of the voltage to keep the points from pitting and you could even adjust your mechanical voltage regulator according to which point had the pile on it and which had the pit.And after all these years I always thought that the ballast cut the voltage to the coil AND THE POINTS to reduce arching at the points.Man,thats old school!!

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? #443030
08/20/09 01:02 PM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
From the same Wiki article.

Self Variable Resistors
Some ballast resistors have the property of increasing in resistance as current through them increases, and decreasing in resistance as current decreases. Physically, some such devices are often built quite like incandescent lamps. Like the tungsten filament of an ordinary incandescent lamp, if current increases, the ballast resistor gets hotter, its resistance goes up, and its voltage drop increases. If current decreases, the ballast resistor gets colder, its resistance drops, and the voltage drop decreases. Therefore the ballast resistor reduces variations in current, despite variations in applied voltage or changes in the rest of an electric circuit. These devices are sometimes termed barretters.

I only stated that there were fixed and variable ballast resistors, and I speculated which were used in autos. Even if the ones in cars are fixed, there are still (self) variable ballast resistors, which regulate current themselves without turning a knob.

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? #443031
Eugene, Oregon
M
minivan Offline
master
minivan  Offline
master
M

Eugene, Oregon
I installed a Pertronix plug and play distribator and a Pertronix epoxy filled coil in my 440.. Removed the wire in the ballast resister and soldered in a 10 gauge straight wire..

My understanding in doing this is my system needed 12 volts and the new coil is designed for 12 volts.. easy....

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: 540DUSTER] #443032
08/20/09 01:07 PM
08/20/09 01:07 PM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Quote:

Can anybody remember when points used to make a pit on one point and a pile on the other?Ah the good old days when you had to file your points and use a dwell guage to set them.How about the compasiter(how you like that spelling?)that would soak up some of the voltage to keep the points from pitting and you could even adjust your mechanical voltage regulator according to which point had the pile on it and which had the pit.And after all these years I always thought that the ballast cut the voltage to the coil AND THE POINTS to reduce arching at the points.Man,thats old school!!

I only remember charging up the capacitors and tossing them to buddies to give them a little jolt. As to the resistors function, like I posted before, I thought it was to protect both the points and coil.

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: Evil Spirit] #443033
08/20/09 01:16 PM
08/20/09 01:16 PM
USA
540DUSTER Offline
mopar
540DUSTER  Offline
mopar

USA
evilspirit,I hear ya,that was always good for a laugh!

Last edited by 540DUSTER; 08/20/09 01:17 PM.
Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: NachoRT74] #443034
08/20/09 01:23 PM
08/20/09 01:23 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Quote:

Quote:

what is the purpose of the ballast resistor? can they be jumped?

Save the coil from max voltage on normal drive, graduating the voltage level as far the enviroment is getting hot at engine bay. With hotter enviroment, gas needs less spark power to ignition.

On Start up moment, resistor is bypassed from ign switch, feeding directly the coil at brown wire spliced at resistor, to max voltage, being engine/gas is theorically cold and harder to burn out.

ballast has NOTHING TO DO with distributors &/or modules, JUST with coils.

Double ballast have the secondary voltage to ECU, I guess to JUST graduate the dwell or something like that on spark control system, but I don't think to really FEED it. There is ppl who has been able to run 5 pins modules with single ballast, what does not mean was working good or perfect. 4 pins modules have the secondary resistor built in.

On multi spark systems, the multi sparks setup makes not to get full power constantly during teh spark moment, so every milisecond between sparks gets the time to get cold at least enough to not burn out the coil. At the ends works like a time dimmer, or a voltage relay regulator ( mechanical regulator ) but NOTE: not with the same object, That it was to give you an idea.

quoting myself to keep clear that.....

----> once again, ballast resistor doesn't have to make anything with dist NOT EVEN ON POINTS ( at least directly )... points is just a mechanical impulse on regular voltage, AMPLIFIED by the coil, exactly like reluctor and pick up coil makes but being magnetic impulse. Points doesn't drive the high spark voltage.

Of course the deal on the reluctor and pickup coil change is to save the physical contact that even with low voltages/amperages can burnt the points at some point ( also saves the distributor lobe friction and worn ), but BALLAST HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH.

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: NachoRT74] #443035
08/20/09 01:29 PM
08/20/09 01:29 PM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
On a points dist, all the power that goes to the coil passes through the points. Running constant 12v through the points usually burns the points up faster.

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: Evil Spirit] #443036
08/20/09 03:00 PM
08/20/09 03:00 PM
London, England
Gavin Offline
top fuel
Gavin  Offline
top fuel

London, England
OK, interesting info. If you had asked me I would have said that its purpose is to ensure the engine gets a good spark during crank.

When cranking you are relying on battery power alone and the starter is using a lot of current (taxing your battery). The engine is cold and turning at low rpm. You need a good spark, so a full 12V is applied to the coil. It's designed so that in normal usage (running, hot) it does not require that voltage, in fact it would wear it prematurely, but it does need some extra zip for starting. The solution - provide 12V during crank and a reduced voltage once running - this is the purpose of the ballast resistor.

I didn't know the other stuff about varying the resistance with heat (yes I know that can be a function of a resistor but didn't think about the automotive ballast). Makes sense, but I think the primary benefit is the 12V start/reduced V running, and suspect that any variation in the (reduced) running voltage is really just further refinement to save more wear and tear

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: Evil Spirit] #443037
08/20/09 05:52 PM
08/20/09 05:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

From the same Wiki article.

Self Variable Resistors

You will never find, in any electronics technical reference, theory textbook, nor will you ever hear an electrical engineer refer to something as a "self variable resistor."

What I'm trying to tell you is, there are fixed resistors, and there are ballast resistors.

Ballasts BY DESIGN are designed to change resistance on a far greater scale. That is WHY they are referred to as "ballasts."

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: Evil Spirit] #443038
08/20/09 05:56 PM
08/20/09 05:56 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Quote:

On a points dist, all the power that goes to the coil passes through the points. Running constant 12v through the points usually burns the points up faster.

somehow true but also false... there is not anykind of points able to drive 15K volts from a coil, even less 45K volts. Neither 1K volts. Barelly can drive 12 Volts, and coil produces between 15K to 45K volts depending on performance.

Points makes a "small" volt level impulse AMPLIFIED by the coil and then routed back to distributor center cap center contact, rotor etc...

The voltage impulse is a SHORT ( by a ground contact ) made with the energy saved at condenser...

the - terminal at coil EFFECTIVELLY gets ground by the small short to create the amplified magnetic field variation going through and routed by the spark plug wires to the plug.

BUT EVEN IN THAT WAY still with electronic ( not points ), ballast is regulating the output at coil output to plugs at same ratio.

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: NachoRT74] #443039
08/20/09 06:33 PM
08/20/09 06:33 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

Quote:

somehow true but also false... there is not anykind of points able to drive 15K volts from a coil, even less 45K volts. Neither 1K volts. Barelly can drive 12 Volts, and coil produces between 15K to 45K volts depending on performance.

Points makes a "small" volt level impulse AMPLIFIED by the coil and then routed back to distributor center cap center contact, rotor etc...

The voltage impulse is a SHORT ( by a ground contact ) made with the energy saved at condenser...

the - terminal at coil EFFECTIVELLY gets ground by the small short to create the amplified magnetic field variation going through and routed by the spark plug wires to the plug.

BUT EVEN IN THAT WAY still with electronic ( not points ), ballast is regulating the output at coil output to plugs at same ratio.

the points are on the 12v PRIMARY side of the coil. not the high output SECONDARY side. so technically, he's right. all the primary power passes thru the points

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: Stanton] #443040
08/20/09 06:41 PM
08/20/09 06:41 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Well just out of curiosity, what did GM and Ford use so as not to burn out coils ????

Both GM and Ford used a resister wire in the primary circuit in the wire harness. Both also had resister wire bypasses during cranking as GM did it with the small R terminal in the starter mounted starter solenoid and Ford did it with the I terminal on their fenderwell mounted starter solenoid. Ron

Re: what is the purpose of a ballast resistor? [Re: aarcuda] #443041
08/20/09 06:59 PM
08/20/09 06:59 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the points are on the 12v PRIMARY side of the coil. not the high output SECONDARY side. so technically, he's right. all the primary power passes thru the points

Ding, ding, ding!!!We have a winner!ALL current flow thru the PRIMARY side of the coil is also carried by the points(or transistor in an electronic ign) 12v thru a 1ohm coil=12 amps when the points are closed(pri. on)knock that down to 9v(after the ballast)=9 amps. By-pass the ballast in crank and you still have 9-10v/9-10 amps(starter is using the bulk of readily available power) 15k-45k volts is only created when the primary is turned OFF!!!

Last edited by Dcuda69; 08/20/09 07:01 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3