Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
I would prefer having all parts made in the USA. But that won't happen any more on any large scale. My issues are all from hands on measuring and usage. In this case, I had to modify a factory part to fit a Source part because the holes are off. A good friend returned one for seaping when it was being filled for the dyno session. Being conservative and providing a warranty for my work means I have the right to refuse what I consider substandard product. If I can't get the bolts thru it, its substandard. Period. Not all Source stuff is substandard. However a lot of it is simply not as good as billed. Functional? More than likely. Cheap? Yes. Ready to run? Depends on the user's eyes tools, and experience. I think many of those who are trying to convince the others to at minimum not accept the seller's slogans as gospel are the people who have to produce a good product that needs to perform beyond stock levels every single time. It's not a bash fest. Just different levels of acceptance among builders and enthusiasts. In the spirit of equal time... I don't use MP camshafts because they are so terribly made either.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: If you have 440 overheating problems, [Re: moper] #442105
08/20/09 12:43 PM
08/20/09 12:43 PM
Southington Ct.
T
turbobitt Offline
super stock
turbobitt  Offline
super stock
T

Southington Ct.
Guy,s

I wrote a reply on DodgeCharger much like this one. Let me tell you my experience with the 440 Source WP housing and pump. I have a 572 Hemi with 11:1 compression, Ported Indy heads, Siamesed World block, solid roller cam, Dominator carb. I think my engine is capable of producing around 700 HP and mainly street driven so if there is an application that will tax the cooling system then this is it. I recently took my car to a local Mopars in Motion car show that was over a 1 hour drive one way. It was brutally hot with temps in the mid 90’s. I drove my car through the back roads, stop and go traffic with no issue. Now think about this, this is low road speed, that means low air flow though the radiator and also low RPM and therefore low water pump speed. The absolute hottest my car got was 195 degrees but spent most of the time around 185. I was at this show with other Moparts members including Tom “Moparts” and Tim “Defbob” who know my car and can vouch for my existence. I do have my doubts that by replacing the housing they found the miracle cure but would also admit that it is possible that there could be a potential issue only because I gasket matched my port openings before installing. I don’t think I would encourage people to rush out and replace there 440 Source housings before actually doing what I did and trying it. I would also like to add that there isn’t many parts that I bought that could be used “Out of the box”, made in USA or otherwise.

1970 Challenger w/572 Hemi street car and my pride and joy. 1986 T-Type with 272 Stage 2 Buick V6 engine - True 8 second street car. Just updated the engine and put down 928 HP @ 35# boost to the ground on chasis dyno. 1976 Cee Bee Avenger Jet Boat - 460 Ford powered.
Re: If you have 440 overheating problems, [Re: turbobitt] #442106
08/21/09 02:10 PM
08/21/09 02:10 PM
Canada
Kam*Kuda Offline
master
Kam*Kuda  Offline
master

Canada

The original post is about as good as it gets for a side my side comparison. The results were fairly conclusive. Overheating issues,... tried several remedies.
The one that worked was the change of the water pump. The water restriction makes sense.

It is also good to know that this pump is sold by different vendors.

I feel better informed on potential issues and appreciate the heads up prior to making a purchase.
I am sure others will gain some value for diagnosing any problem they may have.

1970 Barracuda Convertible
1968 Satellite Street Strip car
1654.5 Mustang
1955 Land Rover
Re: If you have 440 overheating problems, [Re: Kam*Kuda] #442107
08/21/09 04:39 PM
08/21/09 04:39 PM
Phila Pa
S
scatpacktom Offline
master
scatpacktom  Offline
master
S

Phila Pa
I used to have some crazy overheating problems in the 493 that was in the Bee.It had a 440 source housing on it.

Now I'm wondering if all the problems I had with it are related to the housing.Cracked cylinder heads and burning oil were some of the symtoms.

Whatever it is, at this point I've heard enough about 440 Source.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3