08/12/09 02:55 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Quote:

With all that debate between the XV & RMS setups, nobody mentioned the MagnumForce version. Is anyone using it? Is it a viable contender with the other two or is it junk?

They have a reputation of poor fit and function....

Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #432470
08/13/09 01:55 PM
08/13/09 01:55 PM
Charlotte NC
D
DCI Offline
super stock
DCI  Offline
super stock
D

Charlotte NC
WOW .Magnum Force is the only one i have ever seen in use. Must 3-4 cars around here running them. Strip only and street/strip cars. All of them had re-inforced the shock tower. All of the owners seemed very happy with them.

"Turbo will be easiest, and at the HP level will also be easiest on parts. Spend the money to do it right, and you can build a 500 HP street motor that will live a long and happy life, and probably with a very basic short block." Those words must have left a bad taste in his mouth!
Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: DCI] #432471
08/13/09 03:39 PM
08/13/09 03:39 PM
Virginia
M
MACDiesel Offline
MACDiesel  Offline
M

Virginia
Are any set up for handling?

-1967 Belvedere II 440/4speed
Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: MACDiesel] #432472
08/13/09 04:35 PM
08/13/09 04:35 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Quote:

Are any set up for handling?

Yes, XV and RMS (Alterktion) are set up for handling, which you can also do with the stock stuff.

Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #432473
08/13/09 07:50 PM
08/13/09 07:50 PM
MA
G
Greg55_99 Offline
enthusiast
Greg55_99  Offline
enthusiast
G

MA
Something I did not know.. but do now...

http://www.schwartzperformance.com/news.aspx?newsid=33

Apparently, they are now working on an E body frame.

Greg

Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: Greg55_99] #432474
08/13/09 08:36 PM
08/13/09 08:36 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline
Why would you even post that?

So Cal
I saw it a while back on ebay. I wonder how and if it performs

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: domingo] #432475
12/03/09 11:49 AM
12/03/09 11:49 AM
Right here
HP2 Offline
mopar
HP2  Offline
mopar

Right here
Quote:

Quote:

How much does a viper engine weigh compared to a 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi anyway? I know you want the viper drivetrain but I'm curious as to how much weight it puts over the nose compared to the other modern alternatives.

A 3rd Gen Viper engine puts out 505 HP in stock form and being naturally aspirated...plus I can get a salvage one with a 6 speed for a reasonable amount. They weigh about 500 pounds.

A 5,7 or 6,1 Hemi weighs around 485 lbs.

I would prefer going with a much cooler and more exotic engine like the one on the viper. Plus the t56 6 speed comes attahced already!

I would definatly set the viper engine back though and I would cut the firewall in order to keep from mounting it with too much overhang over the front axle.

You'll have to consider the sound too, unless you put in a heavy sound system. In my ears a V10 sounds terrible. Nothing exotic about that...
BTW, what is the firing order on a gen III Hemi?

70 W100 Power Wagon. 318 4-spd
70 Sport Fury 440 2dr HT
71 Duster 340
71 Charger Super Bee - 383/727
72 Charger "Sabotage" - 440/727 - Street/Strip
78 Warlock in beautiful patina
Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: domingo] #432476
12/03/09 12:27 PM
12/03/09 12:27 PM
Right here
HP2 Offline
mopar
HP2  Offline
mopar

Right here
Quote:

Hi!

I have been looking and the Alterktion front end kit and also they new rear suspension kit with triangulated 4 bars and coil overs.

I want o build a modern day musclecar with a viper drivetrain.

I was wondering if the front and rear Alterktion suspension and steering will make an old musclecar like an an E body or 68-69 Charger handle real good like a newer car.

Or will handling be just marginally improved over stock?

I would plan on doing some majour unibody stffening, maybe even a full cage, and the front and rear alterktion kit plus some real good brakes and 17" o 18" wheels with some serious tires.

I dont want to spend a ton on suspoension mods, a 500 hp modern drivertain, a 6 speed....and end up having thrown a lot of money on a car that looks cool but handles like a bulldozer.

If that will be the case, Id rather just keep it old school, which is cool as well.....and just get a newer car like a 2010 Camaro, Newer Challenger, or a vette.

I wonder how an old E body with all the tricks would stand against a 2009 Challenger.

Opinions????

As a fact I'm planning doing pretty much the same thing myself.
Have a rusty 70 318 cuda to start with. I will make it look like an AAR cuda with black 17" wheels but try to make it handle more like a modern AAR. Noisy and no comfort. Not much interior. Keep the dash and maybe some heat insulation. Some light and good adjustable seats from the junk yard, and probably a tilt/telescopic steering column.
Absolutely no trailer queen, just a hardcore oval track racer legal for the street. I will not pay a dollar extra for chrome!

I've been reading topics for hours but get more confused the more I read...

Plan was to do all the reinforcements XV came up with, not sure if I should put in a roll cage or not.
Build a 408 stroker to hold the budget down. Keisler 5-speed, 8 3/4" rear.
Then either XV front/rear suspension and brakes (around $10K) or save some $$$ with AlterKtion parts.
Right now people is trying to convince me that a 6.1 Hemi is the way to go. I really want fuel injection and they say it is better to buy a crate 6.1 than converting an old stroker...
Whish I liked the sound of a V10

But just like you Domingo, I need to know how good it really will handle before I start investing money and time...

70 Sport Fury 440 2dr HT
71 Duster 340
Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #432477
12/03/09 12:59 PM
12/03/09 12:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

With all that debate between the XV & RMS setups, nobody mentioned the MagnumForce version. Is anyone using it? Is it a viable contender with the other two or is it junk?

They have a reputation of poor fit and function....

pure junk. alterktion is the only way to go.

Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? #432478
12/03/09 02:46 PM
12/03/09 02:46 PM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
BergmanAutoCraft  Offline
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
We have just lowered the pricing on the level II: 5495 front, 1995 rear.

Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #432479
12/03/09 07:24 PM
12/03/09 07:24 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
I guess my question would be what do you consider to be good handling? What or how do you intend to use the car? What type of budget do you have to apply to the suspension? Is the perception of other important to you?

Lesee, typically when asked what good handling is, most will reply that they want their muscle car to handle at least as good as their late model sedan. Since most late model sedans are pulling mid .8 G and stock muscle cars are in the mid .7 range, a slight lowering of the car, larger sway bar, wider tires, and a radial friendly alignment can get you to the mid .8 range. Good enough yet?

So you want to drive it more aggressively than that, okay. The benefit I think people are seeing with these "modern" systems is having someone else spec out all the wheel rates neceessary to balance out the car, thus achieve the perception of excellent handling. With the proper application of formulas, the same results can be produced with the OEM suspensions, but most people do not how to get there, or if they have the books with the theories, have not bothered to do all the calculations (they can get extensive). Tires only care about the force acting on them, not the system appling the force, so whether it is a leaf, coil, or torsion spring is irrelevent to the tread face of the tire.

So lets say you spec out a tricked out stock system that can pull mid .9. Is this still enough? What are your abilities? Are you really pushing the car that hard? Do you need a large selection of spring rates and quick and easy adjustability? Coil overs are nice in that they are lightweight, quickly adjustable, and have a plethora of available springs rates. All great things in a competition environment that require quick, minut changes to adjust the car. For street applications, most drivers will never bother to change rates or perform the adjustments that make coil overs the prefered method of suspending a competition vehicle. Dollars to donuts that 90% of the drivers with an Alterk have never changed their springs rates from Bill's original recommendation. I will grant you, at the limits of capability where cars are pushed to their maximum, many new coil over systems will produce more linear and predictable performance than the original suspension. But, how many drivers on here are really in the realm of that capability where they can tell when a spring rate is off 50# and their track bar needs to go up 1/2"? Not that many I'm guessing.

Do perceptions matter to you? Not many people will stop and gawk at a stock system that has no bump steer, leaf springs, and corners like a fiend. Put coil overs under a car and suddenly peope are dropping to their knees to look under it. Compliments will flow and you'll be voted most popular at the local cruise in meet. Well, maybe not, but a lot of people will be impressed.

So, once again, what do you consider to be good handling? What or how do you intend to use the car? What type of budget do you have to apply to the suspension? Is the perception of other important to you? Answer those questions and you can usually decide on a course of action.

Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: TC@HP2] #432480
12/03/09 10:23 PM
12/03/09 10:23 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

plethora

Does "Three Amigos" pop into anyone else's mind?

Anyway, a few good, well thought out, and supported questions. I always wonder when an OP starts out like this how they walk away when their question instigates 10 more.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: jcc] #432481
12/04/09 09:52 AM
12/04/09 09:52 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

Quote:

plethora

Does "Three Amigos" pop into anyone else's mind?

Ole!

Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: TC@HP2] #432482
12/05/09 07:38 AM
12/05/09 07:38 AM
Right here
HP2 Offline
mopar
HP2  Offline
mopar

Right here
Quote:

I guess my question would be what do you consider to be good handling? What or how do you intend to use the car? What type of budget do you have to apply to the suspension? Is the perception of other important to you?

Lesee, typically when asked what good handling is, most will reply that they want their muscle car to handle at least as good as their late model sedan. Since most late model sedans are pulling mid .8 G and stock muscle cars are in the mid .7 range, a slight lowering of the car, larger sway bar, wider tires, and a radial friendly alignment can get you to the mid .8 range. Good enough yet?

So you want to drive it more aggressively than that, okay. The benefit I think people are seeing with these "modern" systems is having someone else spec out all the wheel rates neceessary to balance out the car, thus achieve the perception of excellent handling. With the proper application of formulas, the same results can be produced with the OEM suspensions, but most people do not how to get there, or if they have the books with the theories, have not bothered to do all the calculations (they can get extensive). Tires only care about the force acting on them, not the system appling the force, so whether it is a leaf, coil, or torsion spring is irrelevent to the tread face of the tire.

So lets say you spec out a tricked out stock system that can pull mid .9. Is this still enough? What are your abilities? Are you really pushing the car that hard? Do you need a large selection of spring rates and quick and easy adjustability? Coil overs are nice in that they are lightweight, quickly adjustable, and have a plethora of available springs rates. All great things in a competition environment that require quick, minut changes to adjust the car. For street applications, most drivers will never bother to change rates or perform the adjustments that make coil overs the prefered method of suspending a competition vehicle. Dollars to donuts that 90% of the drivers with an Alterk have never changed their springs rates from Bill's original recommendation. I will grant you, at the limits of capability where cars are pushed to their maximum, many new coil over systems will produce more linear and predictable performance than the original suspension. But, how many drivers on here are really in the realm of that capability where they can tell when a spring rate is off 50# and their track bar needs to go up 1/2"? Not that many I'm guessing.

Do perceptions matter to you? Not many people will stop and gawk at a stock system that has no bump steer, leaf springs, and corners like a fiend. Put coil overs under a car and suddenly peope are dropping to their knees to look under it. Compliments will flow and you'll be voted most popular at the local cruise in meet. Well, maybe not, but a lot of people will be impressed.

So, once again, what do you consider to be good handling? What or how do you intend to use the car? What type of budget do you have to apply to the suspension? Is the perception of other important to you? Answer those questions and you can usually decide on a course of action.

Very very good views!
I am not interested at all in making impressions on the crowd, I just want a good handling car for the least amount of money.
Sorry but I don't know about g numbers. I want to be able to compete against other classic racing cars such as AC Cobras.
Is it possible to do that with original k-frame and leaf springs?
Anyway, I want to stiffen the chassie with the parts from XV. Will torque boxes do any difference upon that?

70 Sport Fury 440 2dr HT
71 Duster 340
Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: HP2] #432483
12/05/09 09:24 AM
12/05/09 09:24 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

I am not interested at all in making impressions on the crowd, I just want a good handling car for the least amount of money.

Then buy a Miata, and it will hang with the Cobra in the corners

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: jcc] #432484
12/06/09 08:16 AM
12/06/09 08:16 AM
Right here
HP2 Offline
mopar
HP2  Offline
mopar

Right here
Quote:

Quote:

Then buy a Miata, and it will hang with the Cobra in the corners

Well, that would be an option for someone else. First, I don't think you can enter a race with AC Cobras and other vintage race cars
second, and more important: I want to be in my cuda!!

70 Sport Fury 440 2dr HT
71 Duster 340
Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: HP2] #432485
12/06/09 09:11 AM
12/06/09 09:11 AM
NY NY
340duster340 Offline
master
340duster340  Offline
master

NY NY

whats more important to you..how the car looks or how the car handles?

if you only care about handling, than buy a used Z06 vette or used viper....would probably cost you less in the end.

if you want the look of an old mopar, than this exercise has been done...search the web there are dozens of old mopars out there with vipers and new hemis stuffed into them and varying shades of suspension modification.

you wont be re-inventing the wheel here, but IMO, trying to make a 40 year old car handle like a new car is a loosing battle from a $:performance ratio.

1966 Dart GT ...down to only 1 mopar for the first time in 15 years!
Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: domingo] #432486
12/06/09 09:20 AM
12/06/09 09:20 AM
NY NY
340duster340 Offline
master
340duster340  Offline
master

NY NY
keep in mind that mopar ran the same basic stock suspension in NASCAR and TRANS AM

Do you really need something different on the street from what Richard Petty had on the track?
you can tweak out the stock suspension and still get great results...firm feel is one kit that comes to mind, basically beefier or tubular everything and prices are great.

i am not trying to knock the other options or talk you out of them, but keep in mind the stock suspension is really good.

1966 Dart GT ...down to only 1 mopar for the first time in 15 years!
Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: HP2] #432487
12/06/09 01:15 PM
12/06/09 01:15 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

I just want a good handling car for the least amount of money.
Sorry but I don't know about g numbers. I want to be able to compete against other classic racing cars such as AC Cobras.
Is it possible to do that with original k-frame and leaf springs?
Anyway, I want to stiffen the chassis with the parts from XV. Will torque boxes do any difference upon that?

Well, g numbers are a start to quantifying the actual "handling" performance just like e.t. or trap speed quantify straight line performance. This is important to know, because "good" handling is very subjective to many people. A lot of guys think their new Accord is great handling. to others, a Viper is a great handling car. I'd put it something like this:

.6-.7 stock muscle cars
.7-.8 econo cars
.8-.9 average modern car, slightly altered muscle cars
.9-1.0 modern performance coupes & sedans, significantly modified muscle cars
1.0-1.2 is getting into mild competition territory
1.2 and above, super car and the start of serious competition range.

If your competing against AC Cobras, then sanctioning body and class rules will dictate more of what you can and can't do than anything else. Not sure where you would be running against these guys, but your already at a big disadvantage when it comes to weight and geometry. You can overcome a lot of this if you are a good enough driver with a very well thought out suspension, but against a good driver your probably toast.

In any case, yes, you can still get a lot of performance out of the stock K frame and leaf springs. Just be prepared to do a lot of work to get things dialed in. The biggest problem with a stock suspension mopar is you can only go as big as 1.22 in the t-bars. This limits you to 400# of wheel rate, which could become a liability in serious competition. But, if your still wanting to get after it, you can build a very stout set up. The cost will depend on your scrounging and fabricating skills. My set up was only around $1500, but I haven't added the shocks in yet. I could easily double that with just the shocks. For most, the XV level 1 kit is a great starting point for significant road feel improvements and reasonable ride quality. To piece together a similar set up would cost you about the same dollars and you still wouldn't have the perfectly matched shock/wheel rate combo they provide. Cost to benefit ratio is also an area with wide variability.

Quote:

you wont be re-inventing the wheel here, but IMO, trying to make a 40 year old car handle like a new car is a loosing battle from a $:performance ratio.

I'd say this statement is one of those "it depends" situations. Like I said above, the XV1 kit can get you into modern territory for $2500, depending on where in the "modern" range your shooting for and where you want to draw the line. $2500 seems reasonable to me, but to a number of people, the $7500+ of an AlterK is reasonable but the $10k of an XV2 seems unreasonable. Again, it comes down to driver's perception and intended usage against budget. It is never as simple as "make my car handle great." Great has many different interpretations and budgets.

Do torque boxes help with additional stiffening, yes. Sorry I can't quantify these numbers, but I've never measured them. The video on XV's website is probably the best reference you can find for stiffening. The torque boxes are tieing in the rocker area, which is a very strong tubular structure on a mopar. This is an are not directly addressed by other stiffening systems. For what its worth, I have read a study where a mustang racer stitch welded all the stampings and seams in a fastback and the results was a 65% increase in torsional rigidity over the stock uni-body. There is no reason to think similar results couldn't be achieved in a mopar by doing the same thing.

Re: Will an alterktion kit make a muscle car handle??? [Re: HP2] #432488
12/06/09 02:05 PM
12/06/09 02:05 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I want to be able to compete against other classic racing cars such as AC Cobras.

Please be specific. Is this VARA SVRA competition? OR vintage track days with the Shelby club or other older cars come out. There are lots of AC Cobras that go to track days, most are kit Cobras??

Tim Werner has a 68 Valiant that can keep up with most any AC Cobra. He is a road race driving instuctor too, so his skills make up for a lot. He can hang a little while with GT3 Porsche's. He doesn't have the power, but that may soon change: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

This car is something fun and wild on the street and to use at track rental day events.

Tim Herren has a VARA legal 70 Cuda. He races it a vintage VARA events. All of those cars are trailered race cars and have to run the same rules of the era of car like cubic inch (not stricly inforced, single carb, 15" rims...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5