Page 165 of 167 1 2 163 164 165 166 167
Re: Comet Update- Rolled 3 years ago [Re: Valtaur] #39594
09/01/12 03:04 AM
09/01/12 03:04 AM
M
mikeallen2112 Offline
mikeallen2112  Offline
M

Well first off 50/50 sounds like Waaaay too much. Have you read anything from the first post? It says about the same as water, a little thicker.

Second, did you sand your car first? You have to sand it down a bit at least so the paint will stick.

and as far as just using straight paint, that would take forever to dry. Thats why mineral spirits are needed. It helps thin the paint and helps it flash/dry.

You Need to read more about this. Google $50 rustoleum paint job. should be enough tutorials

Re: Comet Update- Rolled 3 years ago [Re: mikeallen2112] #39595
02/07/13 03:26 PM
02/07/13 03:26 PM
Surrey, BC
BeastCharger Offline
BeastCharger  Offline

Surrey, BC
This has truly been an awesome ready, and unfortunately I should have taken notes.

I have a quick question that I know was answered, but I honestly can't remember where in this enormous thread. In regards to the mineral spirits, was there an issue using odorless mineral spirits over the regular smelly kind?

Everything else I believe I have locked away in my brain. Can't wait to start my test piece.

-Chris 1982 Dodge Ramcharger
Re: Comet Update- Rolled 3 years ago [Re: BeastCharger] #39596
08/15/13 05:05 PM
08/15/13 05:05 PM
Indiana
D
Dave74 Offline
Dave74  Offline
D

Indiana
I've kept coming back to this thread for a while now, and even though it's been relatively quiet, I keep chugging along. I remember quite a while back someone asked about color matching the color Autumn Bronze, and one of the admins said it couldn't be done. So, I took that as a challenge. Autumn Bronze is my favorite auto color in the Mopar library, and I thought...why in the heck do I have to settle for paint droplet experiments, or eyeballing paint chips and getting it wrong?

I posted an article that details a method I use to color match any auto paint to a Pantone paint code. I posted the thread in the Rolled On forums, which are a bit more active, but I wanted to post here, the father of the Rolled On Paint projects, too. The Pantone code can get you a clean, new paint chip of any auto paint color you want, no matter the year or auto manufacturer. Once you get that paint chip (cheaply) you can take it to ANY store that custom mixes any Rust Stop Acrylic Enamel paint, i.e. Ace Hardware, Sherwin Williams. And it links to a site that sells Acrylic Polyurethane topside paint in 200 colors, and custom color matching using...you guessed it..the Pantone Color code you provided. And price per quart is competitive with Brightside or Epifanes.

http://rolledon.forummotion.com/t1204-a-different-kind-of-project-color-matching-w-pantone-code

Last edited by Dave74; 08/15/13 05:15 PM.
Comet Update- Rolled 4 years ago [Re: Dave74] #39597
08/18/13 12:41 AM
08/18/13 12:41 AM
San Francisco
M
Mercurymarc Offline
Mercurymarc  Offline
M

San Francisco
Just sayin' a big thank you to all the Mopar fans who helped me roll my Comet over 4 years ago. It's my daily driver and still holding up well.

Marc in SF
More pics here: White Comet Web Site

Marc in SF
63 Blue Comet 260 Sedan- White w/blue stripes
Done using the "$50 Paint Job" method!
Re: Comet Update- Rolled 4 years ago [Re: Mercurymarc] #39598
11/15/13 04:46 AM
11/15/13 04:46 AM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Online penguin-006
The village idiot's idiot
dIc dOc Deity !  Online Penguin-006
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Furr a few ... I started this paint ona' budget topicS ..... I guess some are even more FLOORED than I am ..,. Now is this one about a Comet being painted with a roller ? .... I have seen one done that way and it was not that bad !!!

Paint ona' budget huh ? .... Yeah THEIR budget !!

Re: Comet Update- Rolled 4 years ago [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #39599
04/09/14 08:43 PM
04/09/14 08:43 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Hey guys, I've been following this from the very beginning and just read through them again for a refresher. Im painting my '89 D150 longbed in gloss charcoal gray and gloss black accents. Was going to use satin black but I think the gloss will make for better durability and easier upkeep. Bed will be Rustoleum roll on bedliner. Im getting ready to by my supplies but have a couple of question areas that I don't remember seeing answered.

#1. After bodywork I want to start with a solid base. Can I use Rustoleums's flat white "clean metal primer" over everything including my prepped paint? Or should I get their black automotive primer. Both can be rolled on, but the automotive is $40 for a qt vs $8 for the clean metal. Is the Automotive worth the extra?

#2. When you use the tipping method, is your brush loaded with paint too? And when you glide over the paint is it just the weight of the brush, or even lighter than that?

#3. What is the preferred method for the underside of the hood? Im leaning towards the spray bomb.

thanks
roe

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Comet Update- Rolled 4 years ago [Re: roe] #39600
04/15/14 03:04 AM
04/15/14 03:04 AM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Well, I've started. I went with the flat white clean metal primer. It was cheaper. Here are some progress pics. Primer was applied straight from the can, body prepped with 220 on random orbital sander.

All stripped down

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Comet Update- Rolled 4 years ago [Re: roe] #39601
04/15/14 03:15 AM
04/15/14 03:15 AM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Fenders and hood first. Next will be the cab. Then the bed. Primer is still drying in the pics.

And this primer has me thinking that the truck would look really good in gloss white instead of the Charcoal Black that I plan on using. Not to mention it will hide dents and flaws better from my first ever attempt at body work.

And in primer. Sorry for the crappy pics, it was dark and I was using my phone.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
'89 D150 [Re: roe] #39602
04/27/14 08:32 PM
04/27/14 08:32 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Update. After putting on 2 thick coats of unthinned primer to the fenders and hood, then sanding most of it back of, I decided to do 1 thinned coat to the whole truck. Full strength it builds quickly which is great for filling small surface imperfections. But too thick it takes longer to fully dry.

Also, doing the primer help me get comfortable with the rolling technique. As I went along I got much better at laying down smooth coats and reducing roller lines. There are lines where my coats overlapped areas that had dried already. And I also think that I will see less roller marks on the color coats when the paint is thinned much thinner than I did the primer, and the paint doesn't dry as fast which will give me more time to work it.

Pics:

You can see the dent I need to fix just in front of the rear wheelwell.

Darker white areas like at the top of the fender are where there was primer left after sanding it back smooth

The lighter spots are where there is the thin coat of primer over areas that went lower than factory paint (metal/factory primer)

After getting the whole thing in primer, I'm still thinking it might look really good in gloss white. But Im going to stick with the charcoal grey for now.

I've been debating blacking this out with gloss black, but for now Im going to leave the factory gray. Its in great shape. Only two small spots where the paint was scratched off and there is surface rust. You can see them at the bottom. Im just going to sand those two areas and hit them with some of the charcoal gray.

There is a small dent at the first D in Dodge, and another in the center/bottom of the tailgate. Im also deciding whether to paint the hitch black or body color.

These are the two holes that I will bondo/feather, then primer back over on the drivers bed rail.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Paint Job on a Budget [Re: roe] #39603
06/18/14 10:40 PM
06/18/14 10:40 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Well, here is the next update. Its a little behind schedule, but that's whats great about this method. If time constraints pop up, then you can just wait and continue when you are able. This is after 1 coat to the entire body. In spots where coats overlapped, I think Im going to really like the color, its a nice deep, dark gray.

I don't think the roller lines will be a problem for 2 reasons.
1. Everyone elses progress pics that I saw pretty much had the same look on the first 2-3 coats.
2. Im getting better at avoiding them all together. I can see bigger and bigger areas without the roller marks as I get better.

Finally, I see that I am no bodyman, . I was able to make a lot of dents less noticeable, but definitely not perfect. And I missed a couple of dents as well. But I don't need it to be perfect either, and Im NOT backtracking now to try and fix them. Anywho, heres the pics...

There was a really noticeable dent right in front of the rear wheelwell.

I will either pull and paint the cowl vent panel, or pull another at the junk yard, prep and paint, then swap them out.

When I get full coverage I can see this having a nice gloss in it.

Dent in the bottom/middle of the tailgate made much less visible. Forgot about the one in the first D in Dodge. Also, with all of the nooks and contours, this tailgate is a paint in the butt to paint.

As of right now the strip at the bottom of the truck will be painted gloss black. May even do black bedliner when I do the bed.

This is the bedrail that I patched a couple of holes up with Bondo. Turned out pretty well.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Paint Job on a Budget [Re: roe] #39604
06/18/14 10:44 PM
06/18/14 10:44 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
I also think Im going to try painting the coats in alternating direction. So this coat was vertical, Im going to do the next one horizontal.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Paint Job on a Budget [Re: roe] #39605
06/22/14 12:06 AM
06/22/14 12:06 AM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Coat #2.
Im really liking this color. Starting to get full coverage now, and the depth and gloss is pretty impressive with just a natural finish. The coats dry very hard very quickly because of the thinness of each layer, and after 2 coats the orange peel is about the same as my 2013 Durango. Well, heres pics...

check out the gloss and reflection with just the natural finish

See my shotty attempt at repairing some dents in the front of the roofline.

straight on pic

a little closer

Inside the jamb is factory color with metallic in it, where you see the vehicle reflection is the Rustoleum color. They're close enough to where I don't plan on painting the jams. The run you see at the top of the pic is the only one I've noticed on the car so far. It came from paint that built up and ran down the drip rail. Ironic huh?

closeup

another closeup. You can see the texture in the far right of the pic. Compare the orange peel to that of the next pic of my Durango's paint.

Durango

Also, I was supposed to put another coat on today, but I want to let the paint bake in the sun. I tried today but it has been overcast all day long.

Also, Im at the point where Im supposed to wetsand and then apply two more coats. But Im really worried about burning through the paint with all of these edges and curves, especially on the tail gate. We'll see how it turns out. I think without wetsanding the peel would be too much for my liking, so Im going to try it. I figure that with the wetsanding I will have to do 4 more coats and call it a day. Then I can do the gloss black around the bottom edge of the truck, and Im going to do the roll on bedliner for the bed and bed rails. Last step for the exterior is to try again to track down 4 of the 20" steelies that come as full size spares on the new Rams

Last edited by roe; 06/22/14 12:10 AM.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Paint Job on a Budget [Re: roe] #39606
06/23/14 01:12 AM
06/23/14 01:12 AM
FL MIA
Z
Zero Offline
Zero  Offline
Z

FL MIA
Great work what is your ratio on it?? Im in miami attempted to do the same thing on my motorcycle but when i did the last wet sanding i started to put on was then polish and it didnt have the the mirror finish. I am upset since this is my second attempt to get this right

Re: Paint Job on a Budget [Re: roe] #39607
07/20/14 12:36 AM
07/20/14 12:36 AM
New York
A
Alvysyngr Offline
Alvysyngr  Offline
A

New York
This looks great - more progress pics please!

I have a 71 yellow beetle I want to replace the read fenders and found a pair of light blue - since I am changing the color would it be a bad idea to maybe spray these with matching yellow rattle can first and then roll? maybe that will speed up the color coverage?

Re: Paint Job on a Budget [Re: Zero] #39608
07/20/14 01:06 AM
07/20/14 01:06 AM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Quote:

Great work what is your ratio on it?? Im in miami attempted to do the same thing on my motorcycle but when i did the last wet sanding i started to put on was then polish and it didnt have the the mirror finish. I am upset since this is my second attempt to get this right

I don't know the ratio as I used the drip test. I stir mineral spirits into the paint a little at a time and once mixed well I pull the stick out. When the paint goes from stream to drip in 2-3 seconds that's the consistency that I want it at.

If I can get a final cost that is pretty free of imperfections and trash, I don't plan on doing a final wet sand. Just plan on letting it cure then go straight to polish and wax.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Paint Job on a Budget [Re: Alvysyngr] #39609
07/20/14 01:15 AM
07/20/14 01:15 AM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Quote:

This looks great - more progress pics please!

I have a 71 yellow beetle I want to replace the read fenders and found a pair of light blue - since I am changing the color would it be a bad idea to maybe spray these with matching yellow rattle can first and then roll? maybe that will speed up the color coverage?

I don't know when my schedule is going to let me do some more work but I'm itching to work on it again. I will post results as soon as I do.

On the painting tips, I'm not likely to be the best source. In my opinion though it was easier for me to start with a more uniform colored base. By going with the primer I am getting pretty even coverage and color over the whole truck. As opposed to others who were having a pretty big color and coverage variance when they painted directly over varying surfaces. So I would say they to start the car at a uniform starting color.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Paint Job on a Budget [Re: roe] #39610
08/24/14 03:57 PM
08/24/14 03:57 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Next update. Finally had a chance to put in some more work. This is coat #3 after doing some sanding. I sanded too aggressively in a couple of spots and went too low so you'll see that, especially where I was trying to sand away a run by my passenger door. I think I'm going to be a lot less aggressive sanding from here on out and either stay away from edges as I knock down the little orange peel that I get, or not even worry about orange peel and only scuff it enough for the paint to grab every two layers.

Starting to get better coverage and I figured out how to get better coats with less roller lines. Before I was working smaller areas maybe 36x36" as I worked my way around the truck. That particular area was really smooth but you would see lines from area to area because of the paint starting to set. This time I would work really fast to cover an entire panel then go back over to knock down bubbles/level the paint. It made for much better smoothness and uniformity on the panels without that segmented look.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Paint Job on a Budget [Re: roe] #39611
08/26/14 11:02 AM
08/26/14 11:02 AM
Martin TN
R
ridin98ci Offline
enthusiast
ridin98ci  Offline
enthusiast
R

Martin TN
Looks GREAT!!! I painted a 73 RR I had a few years ago doing this method and am on the fence to do my sons Charger with the roller.....one thing is for sure I would recommend a hardener in the paint.

LOUD AND PROUD!!!
Re: Paint Job on a Budget [Re: ridin98ci] #39612
09/05/14 12:17 AM
09/05/14 12:17 AM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Quote:

Looks GREAT!!! I painted a 73 RR I had a few years ago doing this method and am on the fence to do my sons Charger with the roller.....one thing is for sure I would recommend a hardener in the paint.

Any update pics to show how its help up over the past 3 years or so? I think others are just as curious as I am.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Paint Job on a Budget [Re: roe] #39613
09/05/14 12:18 AM
09/05/14 12:18 AM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Next update. Here is after coat 4 with everything prepped to do the black accent at the bottom of the body, and the DODGE on the tailgate. Im still deciding on a butt stripe as well. Im leaning towards yes... It was late so I just took these to show the prep work. I haven't decided if Im going to do another coat of gray to the body or not. It looks good but because I was less aggressive with my sanding, there is a pretty good level of orange peel. Not a lot, about equal to the factory job on modern cars. Its just that I know that I can get it smoother if I want to, which will make my final buffing/polishing turn out a better shine/reflection. Im just so ready to drive it that I don't wanna wait. Decisions....
Im either going to leave it like it is, or go back and wetsand with 600 grit, then one final coat. This black should go really fast because its such a small area, I can get 2 coats in per day about 12 hours apart. Then I can move on to the rustoleum roll on bedliner, and I want to have my sliding back glass replaced with a one piece.

Overall I think Im leaning towards sanding and doing one more coat of gray with less peel.

Oh, and I still have to do the cowl vent.

This part was time consuming, taping it up and then cutting the letters out with a razor blade was nerve wracking. I'd never done anything similar to this.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Page 165 of 167 1 2 163 164 165 166 167