07/23/09 05:37 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

I just wondered - that's the only way I knew how to do it. I always added coolant very very slowly and paid really close attention to things. I think I'll do this weep hole thing when (if?) I get my new 360 ready to run. Thanks very much.

Dave

hi dave! how have you been?

I honestly never worried about a weep hole. I know how much coolant my motor takes (its listed in the service manual) and i can get darn near all of it in there but for a 1/2 gallon or so.

After i start the car with the radiator cap off, there is enough coolant to cover up the water pump vane so it is circulating thru the motor - just not thru the radiator- until it warms up.

I watch the coolant level and add as required and that usually starts to happen as the thermostat opens.

I really think these guys are making way too big of a deal about this weep hole issue. but thats my opinion.

Re: Adding Weep Hole To Thermostat [Re: 74Scamp] #384019
07/23/09 05:39 PM
07/23/09 05:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"We" got into a huge mess about this some time ago. A 1/8 hole is NOT going to affect coolant flow to any measurable degree. What it WILL do is GUARANTEE that air will burp out the top of the stat. Years ago, I nearly "het up" my 440 when I installed the Sig cam. Fortunately, I thought about checking the heater, even though it was about 80* in San Diego, and NO HEAT. I quickly shut it down, removed a heater hose, and proceeded to put in some more coolant.

Re: Adding Weep Hole To Thermostat #384020
07/23/09 08:20 PM
07/23/09 08:20 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
Getting all the air out does two things
1. It prevents having to watch the radiator neck for when the level drops which means preventing scalding burns in bad burping cases. That's good enough for me. I've seen it happen and heard about it hurting others.
2. It fills the engine completly, meaning the engine isn't subjected to hot spots, overheating and then a rush of cold coolant, meaning more shock.
You can slowly fill it andd let it sit overnight, recheck and refill in the morning and it should be fine. I'd rather be sure I'm not going to get burned and risk engine damage, plus, I'm usually ready to fire the engine after filling...

Page 2 of 2 1 2