07/15/09 11:36 AM
Laurens, SC
R
Radio Joe Offline OP
Radio Joe  Offline OP
R

Laurens, SC
Quote:

pull the intake manifold off and flip upside down. sounds to me like it's cracked on the bottom side. I had a '73 440 New Yorker years ago that did this. I'm trying to figure out how you're keeping it running on 4 cylinders? and still driving down the road? please let me know if you need an intake manifold, as I'm well stocked for poly. my

Intake isnt cracked- Checked it. HOWEVER- I may be contacting you to buy some parts...

Someone suggested that the reason it changed could be seat wear due to using unleaded gas. I'm goign to use some Marvels mystery oil in it for now but think I should buy some extra heads to have hardened seats put into and swap out later.

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: Radio Joe] #370480
07/15/09 11:49 AM
07/15/09 11:49 AM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline
Why would you even post that?

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

I maintain that you may have adjusted you lifters wrong not that you did but may have. In my above post I suggested that you took the hydraulic to tight therefore ajusting the lifters with a bottomed out plunger. Now finding that you have solid lifters I maintain that you may have adjusted them to 0 lash + one turn which is not the way to do it. With the lifter on the base circle of the cam the intakes need .010 clearance HOT and the exhaust need .018 clearance hot.

No I didnt do a leakdown like was suggested- I will have to invest in the parts to get the setup- maybe next time I can find it on my own.

Well Im defintiely no expert- I preferr adjusting chevy rockers while they are running

Anyhow- I dont THINK i adjusted them wrong because the car ran fine for a while and then progressively got worse... For some reason they tightened themselves up- If they are solid then I dont know how they tightened up on their own.

I plan to run another copmpression check this weekend as I want to see if the compression changed on that side.

After that I will recheck lash on all the valves. I did it hot last time but this time i will record the numbers hot and cold...

I guess adjusting the valves should of been one of the ten items you mention you did to the car in the first post.

I would not adjust solid lifters running, but would adjust it hot initially as MoparforLife suggested.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: HealthServices] #370481
07/15/09 01:41 PM
07/15/09 01:41 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I maintain that you may have adjusted you lifters wrong not that you did but may have. In my above post I suggested that you took the hydraulic to tight therefore ajusting the lifters with a bottomed out plunger. Now finding that you have solid lifters I maintain that you may have adjusted them to 0 lash + one turn which is not the way to do it. With the lifter on the base circle of the cam the intakes need .010 clearance HOT and the exhaust need .018 clearance hot.

No I didnt do a leakdown like was suggested- I will have to invest in the parts to get the setup- maybe next time I can find it on my own.

Well Im defintiely no expert- I preferr adjusting chevy rockers while they are running

Anyhow- I dont THINK i adjusted them wrong because the car ran fine for a while and then progressively got worse... For some reason they tightened themselves up- If they are solid then I dont know how they tightened up on their own.

I plan to run another copmpression check this weekend as I want to see if the compression changed on that side.

After that I will recheck lash on all the valves. I did it hot last time but this time i will record the numbers hot and cold...

I guess adjusting the valves should of been one of the ten items you mention you did to the car in the first post.

I would not adjust solid lifters running, but would adjust it hot initially as MoparforLife suggested.

Other than the mess there is absolutly nothing wrong with adjusting them with a feeler gauge while running. Not all that hard to do on older vehicles that that use self locking adjusters without the lock nuts. Done an awful lot of them over the years. Wasn't all that many years ago that that is how it was mostly done.

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: MoparforLife] #370482
07/15/09 02:16 PM
07/15/09 02:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very easy to get solids too tight, especially ones with small lash figures and weaker springs, and ESPECIALLY easy to do while running. I don't like to set them running, and see no reason to. You can get a much better feel when shut off. I used to use tow feelers---one at the specified lash, and another .002-003 thicker. when you can slide the spec blade in, but not the thicker, you are REAL close.

Adjust INTAKE as the EXHAUST of that cylinder IS JUST OPENING

Adust the EXHAUST as the INTAKE is just NEARLY CLOSED

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! #370483
07/15/09 06:17 PM
07/15/09 06:17 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Quote:

Listen, xxxxx, don't be raggin on me, and YOU are the one who stepped in with the comment about LP being a legitimate procedure, etc etc. The point I am and was addressing is the idiot who posted about

"To check for an internal leak you need to get some gas into the crankcase, propane will work fine. Start the engine, open the gas valve on the propane tank feeding the gas either to the pvc opening on the valve cover or the oil fill on the other side. If there is an internal leak then the engine will smooth out when it has injested the propane."

Then later defended his claim with:

"I have used both Propane and acetylene many times to find leaks, I'm not sure I know how it would blow up the crankcase..... There is no ignition source in the crankcase.... "

The above "procedure" has nothing to do with LP setup for tuneup used some years back

If you don't think this is dangerous. you haven't been around much.

Don't bother replying, I'm done with your a$$

440sixpack!!!! Dont PM this garbage to me and then block me from replying. Go back and read...No where did I say anything about acetylene or injecting anything in the crankcase.

READ----READ----READ-----

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: NITROUSN] #370484
07/15/09 10:16 PM
07/15/09 10:16 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida