07/14/09 09:36 PM
07/14/09 09:36 PM
Laurens, SC
R
Radio Joe Offline OP
Radio Joe  Offline OP
R

Laurens, SC
OOPS- Sorry I meant it was the Exhaust valves!

not the intake.

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: Radio Joe] #370460
07/14/09 09:41 PM
07/14/09 09:41 PM
Michigan
MNobody Offline
master
MNobody  Offline
master

Michigan
So basicaly the valves were being held open and it didn't show on the compression test because you did'nt do a leakdown?

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: Radio Joe] #370461
07/14/09 09:48 PM
07/14/09 09:48 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal

Glad you decided to check it. Sometimes when you get a dozen people each telling you a dozen things to check it becomes very hard to actually do what everyone asks.

I would definitely recheck all your rocker arm adjustments. Especially before you end up burning up a valve.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: MNobody] #370462
07/14/09 09:53 PM
07/14/09 09:53 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Quote:

So basicaly the valves were being held open and it didn't show on the compression test because you did'nt do a leakdown?

Not necessarily, without enough oil pressure the hydraulic lifters could be collapse and not show because they did not pump up enough with just cranking. But with the motor running and the lifters pumped up the valves could not close.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: HealthServices] #370463
07/14/09 10:02 PM
07/14/09 10:02 PM
Michigan
MNobody Offline
master
MNobody  Offline
master

Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

Not necessarily, without enough oil pressure the hydraulic lifters could be collapse and not show because they did not pump up enough with just cranking. But with the motor running and the lifters pumped up the valves could not close.

Aah i see, i'm assuming thats one of the reason the motor is supposed to be warm when doing a compression test, so the lifters are fully pumped up?

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: MNobody] #370464
07/14/09 10:09 PM
07/14/09 10:09 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal

That way you can (at least try to) eliminate the varibles.

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: HealthServices] #370465
07/14/09 10:29 PM
07/14/09 10:29 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
I for one didn't realize that you were running with adjustable rockers on the 318. What you found leads me to wonder if you adjusted the rockers properly. Sounds to me like these were adjusted of a bottomed out lifter rather than with the plunder at the top of the travel plus 1/2-1 turn with no more than 2 threads showing below the adjuster. Hopefully you didn't use 273 solid lifter push rods they will be about 1/4 inch too long.
Glad it is running.

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: Radio Joe] #370466
07/14/09 10:50 PM
07/14/09 10:50 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
after it cold check the lash to see what it is cold

then recheck when hot,adjust acordingly

but make note of cold lash for the future

may just want to go over all of them to check and make sure they are set correct

I would have it good and warmed up before the adjustment to specs

then recheck next morning and button the vc up

this has been real interesting and glad you got it...I hope

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: MoparforLife] #370467
07/15/09 12:10 AM
07/15/09 12:10 AM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Poly 318. I know nearly nothing about the poly 318, but I thought all of them in those years were adjustable.

Hopefully this is the problem and nothing else was disturbed while diagnosing it.

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: NITROUSN] #370468
07/15/09 12:28 AM
07/15/09 12:28 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Where did "we" learn this propane / acet "trick?" Is this being taught in some mechanics school? Is it in some manual / book you bought? I've never heard of this before, but as a guy who used to service HVAC, including nat gas/ LP/ oil heat, I'll guarantee you that if you do this enough, you'll regret it.

Better step back on your rant. Propane was once used to set carbs up. It was an authorized mopar service procedure. Properly used I see no problem un using it for a vacuum leak. A running motor is going to burn it not deposit it in the crankcase. There is a lot you obviously do not know.

I'm not stepping back from anything, and this is not a rant. It is a statement of FACTS that HAPPENED. I'm well aware of the propane setup procedure, and it has nothing at all to do with injecting flammable materials into the crankcase, any more than running an engine on LP does.

What I asked you is, where did you "learn" this, and so far you have not given a factual answer. I'd be willing to bet you cannot quote ANY respected shop manuals, school texts, or any other respected source that recommends this.

I WILL GUARANTEE YOU that if you do this enough, there will be an unplanned event. You will not like the unplanned event.

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! #370469
07/15/09 01:25 AM
07/15/09 01:25 AM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Not too sure I follow what the whining is about concerning using propane to diagnose, but it is a tool we were taught in school to use. It is a tool that is sold in the tool truck and can even be found in the Sears catalog.

OTC makes this one.

It was also taught in smog class and it is also a required tool to have if you are a smog and repair station. Carb cleaner is not one of those items.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARResour...uide_Equip.html

Can it be dangerous?-If used incorrectly, of course

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: HealthServices] #370470
07/15/09 01:35 AM
07/15/09 01:35 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Not too sure I follow what the whining is about concerning using propane to diagnose, but it is a tool we were taught in school to use. It is a tool that is sold in the tool truck and can even be found in the Sears catalog.

OTC makes this one.

It was also taught in smog class and it is also a required tool to have if you are a smog and repair station. Carb cleaner is not one of those items.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARResour...uide_Equip.html

Can it be dangerous?-If used incorrectly, of course

There's no "whining" going on. People are insisting that injecting LP INTO THE CRANCASE is a legitimate troubleshooting method.

a little light reading

http://www.gomr.mms.gov/homepg/offshore/safety/acc_repo/2007/070822.pdf

http://www.bgs.com.tr/dokumanlar/urunler/gaz/G3520E%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf

Last edited by 440sixpack; 07/15/09 01:55 AM.
Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: Radio Joe] #370471
07/15/09 02:55 AM
07/15/09 02:55 AM
CENTRAL MINN
1965_PLYMOUTH Offline
mopar
1965_PLYMOUTH  Offline
mopar

CENTRAL MINN
pull the intake manifold off and flip upside down. sounds to me like it's cracked on the bottom side. I had a '73 440 New Yorker years ago that did this. I'm trying to figure out how you're keeping it running on 4 cylinders? and still driving down the road? please let me know if you need an intake manifold, as I'm well stocked for poly. my

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: HealthServices] #370472
07/15/09 06:37 AM
07/15/09 06:37 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Poly 318. I know nearly nothing about the poly 318, but I thought all of them in those years were adjustable.

Hopefully this is the problem and nothing else was disturbed while diagnosing it.

They are adjustable but I neglected the fact. Sorry. But I am not the only one though because I saw other posts talking about lifter pump up and on a poly there is no lifter pump up. Solid lifters.

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! #370473
07/15/09 07:24 AM
07/15/09 07:24 AM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Where did "we" learn this propane / acet "trick?" Is this being taught in some mechanics school? Is it in some manual / book you bought? I've never heard of this before, but as a guy who used to service HVAC, including nat gas/ LP/ oil heat, I'll guarantee you that if you do this enough, you'll regret it.

Better step back on your rant. Propane was once used to set carbs up. It was an authorized mopar service procedure. Properly used I see no problem un using it for a vacuum leak. A running motor is going to burn it not deposit it in the crankcase. There is a lot you obviously do not know.

I'm not stepping back from anything, and this is not a rant. It is a statement of FACTS that HAPPENED. I'm well aware of the propane setup procedure, and it has nothing at all to do with injecting flammable materials into the crankcase, any more than running an engine on LP does.

What I asked you is, where did you "learn" this, and so far you have not given a factual answer. I'd be willing to bet you cannot quote ANY respected shop manuals, school texts, or any other respected source that recommends this.

I WILL GUARANTEE YOU that if you do this enough, there will be an unplanned event. You will not like the unplanned event.

First of all if your rant is pointed at me get your facts straight. No where did I say it was right or did I condone injecting propane or any other flamable material in the crankcase. I merely stated that propane is a known approved method for setting up carbs and leak checking. Stupid people make stupid mistakes. To each their own.

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: NITROUSN] #370474
07/15/09 07:59 AM
07/15/09 07:59 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
hijacked and off topic now

to propane or not to propane

I prefer to "blow" mine up the hard way...wot and rods letting go

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: MoparforLife] #370475
07/15/09 08:23 AM
07/15/09 08:23 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
I maintain that you may have adjusted you lifters wrong not that you did but may have. In my above post I suggested that you took the hydraulic to tight therefore ajusting the lifters with a bottomed out plunger. Now finding that you have solid lifters I maintain that you may have adjusted them to 0 lash + one turn which is not the way to do it. With the lifter on the base circle of the cam the intakes need .010 clearance HOT and the exhaust need .018 clearance hot.

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: MoparforLife] #370476
07/15/09 10:51 AM
07/15/09 10:51 AM
Laurens, SC
R
Radio Joe Offline OP
Radio Joe  Offline OP
R

Laurens, SC
Quote:

I maintain that you may have adjusted you lifters wrong not that you did but may have. In my above post I suggested that you took the hydraulic to tight therefore ajusting the lifters with a bottomed out plunger. Now finding that you have solid lifters I maintain that you may have adjusted them to 0 lash + one turn which is not the way to do it. With the lifter on the base circle of the cam the intakes need .010 clearance HOT and the exhaust need .018 clearance hot.

No I didnt do a leakdown like was suggested- I will have to invest in the parts to get the setup- maybe next time I can find it on my own.

Well Im defintiely no expert- I preferr adjusting chevy rockers while they are running

Anyhow- I dont THINK i adjusted them wrong because the car ran fine for a while and then progressively got worse... For some reason they tightened themselves up- If they are solid then I dont know how they tightened up on their own.

I plan to run another copmpression check this weekend as I want to see if the compression changed on that side.

After that I will recheck lash on all the valves. I did it hot last time but this time i will record the numbers hot and cold...

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: Radio Joe] #370477
07/15/09 11:18 AM
07/15/09 11:18 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Quote:

No I didnt do a leakdown like was suggested- I will have to invest in the parts to get the setup- maybe next time I can find it on my own.

Well Im defintiely no expert- I preferr adjusting chevy rockers while they are running

Anyhow- I dont THINK i adjusted them wrong because the car ran fine for a while and then progressively got worse... For some reason they tightened themselves up- If they are solid then I dont know how they tightened up on their own.

I plan to run another copmpression check this weekend as I want to see if the compression changed on that side.

After that I will recheck lash on all the valves. I did it hot last time but this time i will record the numbers hot and cold...

If you want to do it running there is no reason that you can't other than the mess. Have adjust many old Y block Fords and older solid lifter Mopars that way.

Re: 318 only running on 4 cylinders HELP!!!!!! [Re: MoparforLife] #370478
07/15/09 11:34 AM
07/15/09 11:34 AM
Laurens, SC
R
Radio Joe Offline OP
Radio Joe  Offline OP
R

Laurens, SC
The adjuster is on the end of the rocker- You adjust them running???

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6