The Dalles, OR.
D
Dusted_Ya Offline
super stock
Dusted_Ya  Offline
super stock
D

The Dalles, OR.
The only idler shaft that contacts the block is the drivers side one (small idler) that comes in contact with the distributor drive gear galley. Yes I bought mine from ebay for $59 You can buy the exact one direct from CAT at their website for $129 if it makes you feel better... The main reason why I recommend the oil slinger is that heat and time eventually takes it's toll on all gaskets/seals and when it does start to wear out the oil slinger will help prevent oil from hemoraging out of the front of your engine after 40,000+ miles down the road. I have found oil slingers in 413 industrial motors with factory timing gears I'm assuming for the utmost in reliability.

I would check the mesh of the gears with the idler buttons out and the gears slid all the way back against the block. If you still have good contact with the gears then use it that way if the gears are too far in and only part of the idler teeth are contacting the cam/crank gears then turn it around. Don't use a cork gasket anywhere unless you want to replace it every 30,000 miles. Cork dries out from the heat and becomes brittle. Paper or composite is the best.

Re: Big block gear drive question [Re: StealthWedge67] #369510
07/08/09 10:42 PM
07/08/09 10:42 PM
Nebraska
FASTBACK66 Offline OP
mopar addict
FASTBACK66  Offline OP
mopar addict

Nebraska
Quote:

Ended up deciding that I didn't want a cheapo part in a spot that if it goes bad, the whole motor is likely toast.

These aren't interference engines. I don't think your engine would be "toast" if it goes out of time. I am sure metal would scatter be it would still be rebuildable. Certainly not "toast". I am a little leary myself about using a off brand product but, hey, It's not permanent and I can change it out if I don't like it.

Vinny

Re: Big block gear drive question [Re: FASTBACK66] #369511
07/08/09 10:43 PM
07/08/09 10:43 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Quote:

Has anyone ever installed a gear drive on a big block Mopar before? This is my first and need advice. First off before anyone says anything, I am already sure it's going to be loud and annoying. That said, I am installing it anyways.

So, my question is, on the middle set of "idler" gears, do the big thicker areas go to the front(timing cover)side or do they face the block side. My instructions suck and not very specific. I have a pic of it installed with the thick side facing front (timing cover)side. I think it may go the other way though.

Thanks,Vinny

* Slide idle gear half way in between both gears with the larger gear on the passenger side and the longer axle toward to engine block.

Dont worry about the slinger. Its not needed.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3