Kissimmee Fl.
D
dusturbd340W5 Offline
master
dusturbd340W5  Offline
master
D

Kissimmee Fl.
dont know why everyone hates the Lokar set up I have used many of these on everything from mopars to ford AOD's and never had 1 problem out of any of them

70 duster full chassis super pro 416 CNC Indybrock heads 727 w/brake

best so far 1.212 60 6.219 in 1/8 at 110.88 9.768 at 137.81 1/4
Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: John_Kunkel] #357478
06/26/09 08:28 PM
06/26/09 08:28 PM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

It's worth noting that many of those who claim to have no problems with the Lokar actually do have problems, they just don't know it.

its also worth noting that many of those who complain about having problems with a lokar set up actually didn't install it properly.

Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: cogen80] #357479
06/26/09 08:51 PM
06/26/09 08:51 PM
Wherever I am.
J
Junky Offline
master
Junky  Offline
master
J

Wherever I am.
Quote:

Quote:

It's worth noting that many of those who claim to have no problems with the Lokar actually do have problems, they just don't know it.

its also worth noting that many of those who complain about having problems with a lokar set up actually didn't install it properly.

Is this a secret of something? You two care to explain so we can know why it is that we must uninstall the Lokar setup?

2010 Black Challenger SE <> 3.5 V6
Custom Shift Knobs www.flameball.com Check It Out
Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: CHRGR69] #357480
06/26/09 09:11 PM
06/26/09 09:11 PM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
works fine for me!

Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: DJVCuda] #357481
06/26/09 09:52 PM
06/26/09 09:52 PM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

works fine for me!

are you sure you don't really have a problem that you don't know about?

Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: John_Kunkel] #357482
06/26/09 10:37 PM
06/26/09 10:37 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Quote:

After driving, racing and building Mopars for 40 years I think I would know if I had a problem. I'll gaurentee you I have none. There is nothing wrong with a lokar setup that is installed correctly. I'm sure the others that are satisfied with their Lokars are just as sure in the statement of no problems. Good greif John folks would think you part ownership in Bouchillon the way you talk.

Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: cogen80] #357483
06/27/09 12:28 AM
06/27/09 12:28 AM
Pasco, WA
440mag Offline
mopar
440mag  Offline
mopar

Pasco, WA
Quote:

Quote:

works fine for me!

are you sure you don't really have a problem that you don't know about?

That lokar cable made your engine swell up!

Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: Junky] #357484
07/12/09 07:22 PM
07/12/09 07:22 PM
Central CA
K
KAHUDA Offline
KAHUDA  Offline
K

Central CA
OK all you Lokar guys, I just received mine and I'm in the middle of installing it. I could really use some advice, tips, step-by-step detailed instructions on how to get it adjusted so it works properly. In case it matters, it's on a '70 Cuda, 440-6, 727.

THANKS!!

Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: stumpy] #357485
07/13/09 04:45 PM
07/13/09 04:45 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with a lokar setup that is installed correctly.

As I have stated on numerous occasions, if the installer is totally familiar with the TP theory of operation the Lokar will work satisfactory. The key word is "if".

Quote:

I'm sure the others that are satisfied with their Lokars are just as sure in the statement of no problems.

Being "satisfied" and being "correct" aren't necessarily the same thing.

Quote:

Good greif (sic) John folks would think you part ownership in Bouchillon the way you talk.

I don't make a dime off of their sales, I simply know a well-engineered product from a generic product packaged to (supposedly) work on a dedicated installation.

Let's look at the factory linkage, it's engineered to move the transmission lever in proportion to the carb opening, from idle to WOT.

Now let's look at a typical Lokar installation....the front of the cable is attached to the hole in the carb lever that is positioned below the throttle shaft, from idle to WOT the travel of this hole is around 1 1/4", then the other end of the cable is attached to the transmission lever whose travel can be anywhere from 2" to 2 3/4" depending on the lever installed (and there is a wide variety of these).

If the generic Lokar instructions are followed and the cable adjusted so that the trans lever is full back at carb WOT you can see (simple math) that the first 3/4" to 1 1/2" of the lever travel is already used up at idle and there's no spring to pull the lever forward.

Not a problem? OK, if you say so. It's not unusual to see these Lokar installations have light throttle 1-2 shifts at 25+ mph and 2-3 at 40+ mph or even higher and, possibly, no 2-3 upshift at all. If that's OK with you then, "no problem". If the cable is adjusted for correct light throttle shift points there is insufficient TP at WOT and no forced downshifts. Potential damage.

So, as I've repeatedly ranted, the Lokar works OK if the installer knows to match the total travel of the cable attach points and installs a spring.

The Bouchillon kit contains the trans lever so there's no mismatch in travel and it uses a more robust, easily located cable.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: John_Kunkel] #357486
07/13/09 05:16 PM
07/13/09 05:16 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with a lokar setup that is installed correctly.

As I have stated on numerous occasions, if the installer is totally familiar with the TP theory of operation the Lokar will work satisfactory. The key word is "if".

Quote:

I'm sure the others that are satisfied with their Lokars are just as sure in the statement of no problems.

Being "satisfied" and being "correct" aren't necessarily the same thing.

Quote:

Good greif (sic) John folks would think you part ownership in Bouchillon the way you talk.

I don't make a dime off of their sales, I simply know a well-engineered product from a generic product packaged to (supposedly) work on a dedicated installation.

Let's look at the factory linkage, it's engineered to move the transmission lever in proportion to the carb opening, from idle to WOT.

Now let's look at a typical Lokar installation....the front of the cable is attached to the hole in the carb lever that is positioned below the throttle shaft, from idle to WOT the travel of this hole is around 1 1/4", then the other end of the cable is attached to the transmission lever whose travel can be anywhere from 2" to 2 3/4" depending on the lever installed (and there is a wide variety of these).

If the generic Lokar instructions are followed and the cable adjusted so that the trans lever is full back at carb WOT you can see (simple math) that the first 3/4" to 1 1/2" of the lever travel is already used up at idle and there's no spring to pull the lever forward.

Not a problem? OK, if you say so. It's not unusual to see these Lokar installations have light throttle 1-2 shifts at 25+ mph and 2-3 at 40+ mph or even higher and, possibly, no 2-3 upshift at all. If that's OK with you then, "no problem". If the cable is adjusted for correct light throttle shift points there is insufficient TP at WOT and no forced downshifts. Potential damage.

So, as I've repeatedly ranted, the Lokar works OK if the installer knows to match the total travel of the cable attach points and installs a spring.

The Bouchillon kit contains the trans lever so there's no mismatch in travel and it uses a more robust, easily located cable.

I struggled with mismatched factory peices on my 440 6 pak and could not get it to fit with my headers. This was in 05. I broke down and bought a Locar cable setup. Just so I could drive the car. This was before I knew about Bouchlins cable setup. Now I see someone selling the whole factory 6 pak setup which I would like to use, but I'm not sure about my 3 1/2" headers. This what I did to get the stroke close and the tranny shifts great. Maybe this might help someone. It ain't pretty but works, I'm sure you can tell what I used.

Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: ] #357487
07/13/09 06:11 PM
07/13/09 06:11 PM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
Quote:

The cable kit from Bouchillion Performance makes that Lokar look like the toy it is--PLEASE everyone look at the Bouchillion piece--it is a tranny saver and problem solver--good piece period!

I haven't used the Lokar so I can't comment, but the Bouchillon piece is very nice. I run that myself.

Jim

Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: JF_Moparts] #357488
07/13/09 06:26 PM
07/13/09 06:26 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Face it John you are not going to convince us all that Lokar is a useless setup. There are those of us that are able to set it up right and have had no problems using it. Yes Bouchillion is easier to install but it's not the only answer.So quit the ranting and relax a bit. Most stuff on our hotrods isn't a plug and play but that doesn't mean we can't make it work correctly.It just takes a little more work.If they are so bad how come there are so many out there in use and they are still selling so well. It's sad you are so hung up on this that you can't see the forrest for the trees.

Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: stumpy] #357489
07/13/09 07:35 PM
07/13/09 07:35 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Quote:

Face it John you are not going to convince us all that Lokar is a useless setup.

Never, ever made any such assertion.

Quote:

There are those of us that are able to set it up right and have had no problems using it.

Bully for you, my original comment that brought a response from you was that some who claim to have no problems actually do, they just don't know any better, my previous reply shows examples. And the number of threads on this forum regarding the installation/adjustment of the Lokar setup (do a search) shows that not everybody is as capable as you are.

Quote:

So quit the ranting and relax a bit.

No. I've seen the results of incorrect "kickdown" setups.

Quote:

Most stuff on our hotrods isn't a plug and play but that doesn't mean we can't make it work correctly.It just takes a little more work.If they are so bad how come there are so many out there in use and they are still selling so well. It's sad you are so hung up on this that you can't see the forrest (sic) for the trees.

I will iterate, the number of posts on this forum devoted to problems with setup and adjustment of the Lokar shows you're wrong and that some people are satisfied with less than correct.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: John_Kunkel] #357490
07/13/09 08:10 PM
07/13/09 08:10 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Anything you say John. The rest of us are just too stupid to know when we have something that doesn't work as we drive with it every day for years without any failures. Seems to me if it works right it's as correct as it needs to be. After all everything on our old cars is perefectly correct isn't it.

Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: John_Kunkel] #357491
07/13/09 09:21 PM
07/13/09 09:21 PM
St Paul MN
73swinger Offline
super stock
73swinger  Offline
super stock

St Paul MN
Quote:

I think this is the main thing Lokar buyers should be aware of. My first observation of the Lokar kit was the horrible directions. I installed mine as per directions on a freshly rebuilt 727 & thought it was right, 2 years & the tranny was toast. Then I learned more about throttle position importance, had the trans. rebuilt again, and again used the Lokar cable, WITH MODIFIED MOUNT POSITION ON TRANS. KICK DOWN LEVER. Its working fine so far, but I keep a close eye on adjustment. I bought it, I'm using it, but I would not buy another one. Bouchillion or a manual valve body next time.

Chris Schwartz 73 Swinger 340 12.451 @ 108.78 73 Gold Duster, needs a plan.
Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: stumpy] #357492
07/13/09 09:28 PM
07/13/09 09:28 PM
Catskill, NY
T
teflon Offline
enthusiast
teflon  Offline
enthusiast
T

Catskill, NY
Manual valve body takes care of that problem!!

BTW I agree with John (as a trans guy) in regards to throttle opening vs. proper trans throttle pressure.

Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: teflon] #357493
07/13/09 09:53 PM
07/13/09 09:53 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
with the bouchillon kit it has the adapter/carb lever and the lever at the tranny and are a matched ratio

and it can use a stock 92-93 dak cable for replacement

thats what I came away with after reading up on it some

Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: John_Kunkel] #357494
07/14/09 01:07 AM
07/14/09 01:07 AM
Wherever I am.
J
Junky Offline
master
Junky  Offline
master
J

Wherever I am.
For anyone that cares:

I installed mine with minimal effort. The throttle pressure lever is all but all the way back at WOT. At very light throttle (granny driving) it shifts into 3rd arould 15 mph. Leaving it in Drive with the throttle to the floor it will shift gear to gear right about 4,900 RPM's. Disclosure: I do run the TransGo "shift kit". I've been running it this way for over 5 years now. The transmission shifts as solid today as it did 5 years ago. I'm convinced that it is working as good, if not better, than the stock setup...and looks better too.

2010 Black Challenger SE <> 3.5 V6
Custom Shift Knobs www.flameball.com Check It Out
Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: Challenger 1] #357495
07/14/09 07:18 AM
07/14/09 07:18 AM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

man i don't know what you are doing or whoever is installing lokar set ups that are having those problems are doing but i have been using lokar kick downs since the early to mid 90's, installed them on all my cars and numerous friends car and have never run into a problem like you describe. sounds like total idiots installed the ones your talking about. some people just should not wrench on their cars. the kick down sure isn't rocker science.

Re: Help with Lokar Kickdown Cable [Re: cogen80] #357496
07/14/09 08:13 AM
07/14/09 08:13 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

man i don't know what you are doing or whoever is installing lokar set ups that are having those problems are doing but i have been using lokar kick downs since the early to mid 90's, installed them on all my cars and numerous friends car and have never run into a problem like you describe. sounds like total idiots installed the ones your talking about. some people just should not wrench on their cars. the kick down sure isn't rocker science.

Throttle pressure, not a kick down!!! Right John?

I bet alot of manuel valve bodies have been sold over the years because of the confusion over TP on TF.

Last edited by Challenger 1; 07/14/09 08:14 AM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4