06/21/09 01:05 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline OP
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline OP

Flint, MI
Hey all,

I did the Amp meter bypass thing last week and now my new voltmeter shows I'm getting 16V at idle. I spent all morning reading the voltage regulator test threads. I grounded the case to the batter, no change. When I test the POS voltage drop (from IGN at the regulator to the + battery terminal) I was getting 1.5, so I have a problem somewhere else in the system.

Where do I go from here? Start pulling fuses like I would for a short and figure out which circuit is causing the voltage drop?

Also - can I drive the car like this or am I asking for trouble. I just need to move it out of the garage, turn it around, and put it back in. Am I risking frying something by doing this?

Thanks

Last edited by Gusteve; 06/24/09 08:04 PM.
Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353505
06/21/09 01:46 PM
06/21/09 01:46 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Also - can I drive the car like this or am I asking for trouble. I just need to move it out of the garage, turn it around, and put it back in. Am I risking frying something by doing this?

Thanks

Whats the voltage do when you rev the engine? if it continues to climb you need to disable the charging system to move it, if it stays constant then move the car... Unplugging the voltage regulator should disable the charging system, if it doesn't than that would be a huge clue... When you did the voltage drop test did you test from the blue wire at the voltage regulator to the battery? That is where the regulator is sensing the voltage so it's the key point... Let us know more info is always good...

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353506
06/21/09 01:55 PM
06/21/09 01:55 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

When I test the POS voltage drop (from IGN at the regulator to the + battery terminal) I was getting 1.5, so I have a problem somewhere else in the system.Where do I go from here?

unplug the reg to get the car out & turned. Start at the batt positive terminal & clean each connection from the battery to the bulkhead & in to the ign sw then out thru the bulkhead the blue wire to the VR connector. If it was charging sorta high I'd say check each of the above connections until you find the high resistance but with it in the 16's I would clean all of these points 1st as that much pressure is going to fry something in short order.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: RapidRobert] #353507
06/21/09 02:15 PM
06/21/09 02:15 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
How drained is the battery? It may just be charging a low battery.

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #353508
06/21/09 02:25 PM
06/21/09 02:25 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline OP
Gusteve  Offline OP

Flint, MI
Quote:

Whats the voltage do when you rev the engine? if it continues to climb you need to disable the charging system to move it, if it stays constant then move the car... Unplugging the voltage regulator should disable the charging system, if it doesn't than that would be a huge clue... When you did the voltage drop test did you test from the blue wire at the voltage regulator to the battery? That is where the regulator is sensing the voltage so it's the key point... Let us know more info is always good...

Voltage continues to climb with RPM. I tested from the blue wire side of the reg (not the green wire FLD side) when I did the "+" voltage dropdown test. I guess I'll start with RapidRoberts suggestion above and go from there.

Funny - the whole reason I had to do the Amp meter by-pass last week was because the main power wire was fried at the bulkhead connector. I suppose I've had this problem all along, and the previous meltdown was caused by it.

Thanks

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353509
06/21/09 02:43 PM
06/21/09 02:43 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Make sure the voltage drops when you unplug the regulator... If the alternator is internally full fielded or if the green wire from the alternator to the regulator is grounded disconnecting the regulator won't stop the ocercharging condition & that can cause lots of problems including the battery exploding....

Edit, just looked at your vehicle list, I'd previously assumed you have a two wire alternator... Most of the info stays the same but... I need to check color codes on the early harness

Oh yeah, do you like Black cars??

Last edited by 1_WILD_RT; 06/21/09 02:48 PM.
Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #353510
06/21/09 03:14 PM
06/21/09 03:14 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline OP
Gusteve  Offline OP

Flint, MI
Quote:

Make sure the voltage drops when you unplug the regulator... If the alternator is internally full fielded or if the green wire from the alternator to the regulator is grounded disconnecting the regulator won't stop the ocercharging condition & that can cause lots of problems including the battery exploding....

Edit, just looked at your vehicle list, I'd previously assumed you have a two wire alternator... Most of the info stays the same but... I need to check color codes on the early harness

Oh yeah, do you like Black cars??

I have the single field, one-wire alternator version. Do I need to disconnect both sides of the regulator connections when I un-hook it? Seems like I could just pull the IGN side (right side) and leave the FLD (green wire) connected, right?

And yes! All cars are supposed to be black. My driveway looks like a perpetual funeral.

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353511
06/21/09 03:23 PM
06/21/09 03:23 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Disconnecting either side should kill the output, with a single wire it eliminates allot of the potential problems, the only way it could still charge with either wire to the regulator disconnected is if the battery output lead were to feedback through the alternator.. Very unlikely but a quick look at the voltage with the regulator disconnected would rule it out...

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353512
06/21/09 03:48 PM
06/21/09 03:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Hey all,

I did the Amp meter bypass thing last week and now my new voltmeter shows I'm getting 16V at idle. I spent all morning reading the voltage regulator test threads. I grounded the case to the batter, no change. When I test the POS voltage drop (from IGN at the regulator to the + battery terminal) I was getting 1.5, so I have a problem somewhere else in the system.

Where do I go from here? Start pulling fuses like I would for a short and figure out which circuit is causing the voltage drop?

Thanks

YOU HAVE ALREADY FOUND YOUR ANSWER. What is happening is that in all the harness, connections, bulkhead connector, etc PATH from the battery pos to the ign. switch and back out to the ign terminal on the alternator, you have 1.5V of DROP

To be sure (and it is!!) the problem, hook a good big jumper, IE jumper cable, or no12 or larger from the regulator ign directly to the battery, and see if the charging system voltage drops to normal--it should!!!

Now you need to find the drop in all that wireing. Check all connections, especially and including the firewall/ bulkhead connector. Check the connector at the ignition switch, AND CHECK THE DROP across the switch, IE check the battery feed INTO the switch, and the ign feed coming OUT of the switch. SOMEWHERE in that path you are losing that 1.5V.

Guess what? Let's say the regulator "liked" 14.5?

14.5 + 1.5==16v!!!!

Check the main feed (for drop) from the batt pos to the main feed into the switch THAT WILL ELIMINATE all the wiring from the battery to the switch. If you have considerable drop there, then it is in that section.

Check the ign run terminal OUT of the switch, check the drop between there and the ign terminal of your regulator. If you have considerable drop there, it's probably the bulkhead connector, because that's about the only thing "in the path." Dont forget the ENDS of the conductor--the crimp-on connectors themselves may be bad.

ALSO if you have ADDED a bunch of stuff to ign run such as fans or who knows what, something there is almost guaranteed to be causing the drop, so unhook, or use relays.

Speaking of relays, if you CANNOT find the problem and want an easy way out, one way of "solving" the problem would be to put a decent quality firewall mounted relay on the car, use the ign feed to "fire the relay, and then feed your regulator from the relay. Feed the relay from a good solid battery connection such as the starter relay

You can check that hookup before you do so by unhooking the regulator ign, use a jumper from the stater relay to the regulator ign, and see if the problem goes away.

Last edited by 440sixpack; 06/21/09 03:55 PM.
Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle #353513
06/21/09 04:44 PM
06/21/09 04:44 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline OP
Gusteve  Offline OP

Flint, MI
Quote:

Now you need to find the drop in all that wireing. Check all connections, especially and including the firewall/ bulkhead connector. Check the connector at the ignition switch, AND CHECK THE DROP across the switch, IE check the battery feed INTO the switch, and the ign feed coming OUT of the switch. SOMEWHERE in that path you are losing that 1.5V.

14.5 + 1.5==16v!!!!

Thanks for the info (and nice math, btw )

I'm just curious though - it seems like you are saying that the drop would be somewhere in the ignition switch wiring (most likely). I'm curious as to why something like, say, a bad headlight switch would not also cause this. Is it because I'm not looking at a short to ground issue, but an issue with the flow of 12v+ through the 12V+ wiring circuit.

Hmm - I think I answered my own question, now that I think about it. A bad 12V+ on my headlight switch (as an example, or the radio or my heater blower motor) would not "fool" the regulator into thinking it needed more juice. And if one of those items were shorted to ground it would be obvious.

Thanks again everyone for all your help. How did people work on old cars before the internet?

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idl #353514
06/21/09 05:58 PM
06/21/09 05:58 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

Quote:

Hey all,

Thanks

YOU HAVE ALREADY FOUND YOUR ANSWER. What is happening is that in all the harness, connections, bulkhead connector, etc PATH from the battery pos to the ign. switch and back out to the ign terminal on the alternator, you have 1.5V of DROP

To be sure (and it is!!) the problem, hook a good big jumper, IE jumper cable, or no12 or larger from the regulator ign directly to the battery, and see if the charging system voltage drops to normal--it should!!!

14.5 + 1.5==16v!!!!

Check the main feed (for drop) from the batt pos to the main feed into the switch THAT WILL ELIMINATE all the wiring from the battery to the switch. If you have considerable drop there, then it is in that section.

Check the ign run terminal OUT of the switch, check the drop between there and the ign terminal of your regulator. If you have considerable drop there, it's probably the bulkhead connector, because that's about the only thing "in the path." Dont forget the ENDS of the conductor--the crimp-on connectors themselves may be bad.

ALSO if you have ADDED a bunch of stuff to ign run such as fans or who knows what, something there is almost guaranteed to be causing the drop, so unhook, or use relays.

Speaking of relays, if you CANNOT find the problem and want an easy way out, one way of "solving" the problem would be to put a decent quality firewall mounted relay on the car, use the ign feed to "fire the relay, and then feed your regulator from the relay. Feed the relay from a good solid battery connection such as the starter relay

You can check that hookup before you do so by unhooking the regulator ign, use a jumper from the stater relay to the regulator ign, and see if the problem goes away.

your voltage drop is doing this. If you fried the main feed the terminal is toast and will have higher resistance so look at those terminals unless you've already replaced them. Next thing is the ign switch.

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idl [Re: aarcuda] #353515
06/21/09 06:15 PM
06/21/09 06:15 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey all,

Thanks

14.5 + 1.5==16v!!!!

your voltage drop is doing this. If you fried the main feed the terminal is toast and will have higher resistance so look at those terminals unless you've already replaced them. Next thing is the ign switch.

If his voltage drop is doing this & there is a 1.5v drop then why when he revs the engine does the voltage continue to climb? the regulator should limit it to the 1.5v above it normal limit IE max 16v but in reality most single wire systems limit around 14.2 plus 1.5 would be 15.7... Instead his will climb past 16v...

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353516
06/21/09 06:35 PM
06/21/09 06:35 PM
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Quote:

Quote:

Now you need to find the drop in all that wireing. ...... SOMEWHERE in that path you are losing that 1.5V.

I'm just curious though - it seems like you are saying that the drop would be somewhere in the ignition switch wiring (most likely). I'm curious as to why something like, say, a bad headlight switch would not also cause this. Is it because I'm not looking at a short to ground issue, but an issue with the flow of 12v+ through the 12V+ wiring circuit.

Hmm - I think I answered my own question, now that I think about it. A bad 12V+ on my headlight switch (as an example, or the radio or my heater blower motor) would not "fool" the regulator into thinking it needed more juice. And if one of those items were shorted to ground it would be obvious.

Thanks again everyone for all your help. How did people work on old cars before the internet?

You've got it. The bad headlight switch would only make the headlights dimmer, not affect the rest of the car.

The problem here, is that your voltage regulator is not seeing an accurate system voltage.

It thinks the voltage is 1.5 lower than it really is. SO it keeps charging until it sees 14.5

The fix CAN be easy.

You could look for the drop, and you may find part of it, or all of it in one or more of the components(switch, bulkead connector, wiring..etc)
It may be easy to find, it may be difficult. You may only find part of it, etc..

I have done a different repair in the past, and it always seems to work.

Get a simple foglight relay from a parts store.

A relay has a low power (control) circuit, and the heavy switched(load) circuit that is used for whatever the relay is actually powering/supplying power.

Mount this right next to your regulator.

Remove the existing "ignition on" wire from the regulator, and wire it to the control circuit of the relay. ground the other side of the control circuit.

Then run heavy wire from the relay directly to the main alternator pos post or the battery poitive post. This goes on the heavy circuit of the relay. Wire the other side of this relay circuit to the regulator.

What you are doing here, is this...

Originally, The exisiting ignition wire turns on the regulator, AND provides it an input that the regulator uses as it's monitor for system voltage.

By wiring it as I have described, you are using the exisiting wire to turn on a direct feed to the battery, or the alternator. It is now reading the voltage of the system directly. Any and all voltage drops have been bypassed. IT still works by turning the key, and is now more accurate than it ever was.

It takes about 20 minutes to do, and 10 to 20 bucks in material depending what you already have laying around.

Good luck

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idl [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #353517
06/21/09 06:37 PM
06/21/09 06:37 PM
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Quote:

If his voltage drop is doing this & there is a 1.5v drop then why when he revs the engine does the voltage continue to climb? the regulator should limit it to the 1.5v above it normal limit IE max 16v but in reality most single wire systems limit around 14.2 plus 1.5 would be 15.7... Instead his will climb past 16v...

It could be that the drop get's worse as the amperage output increases.

It could also bee that the drop is one issue, and that the alternator is shorted internally too.

I'd chase the drop issue first, then see what happens

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idl [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #353518
06/21/09 06:41 PM
06/21/09 06:41 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline OP
Gusteve  Offline OP

Flint, MI
Quote:

Good point. I'll probably also replace the regulater next week. It looks fairly new, but I can't recall if I replaced it two years ago when I bought the car. This car has not been driven since 1988, so I'm not surprised by anything that crops up. (Extremely disappointed, but not surprised)

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idl [Re: Gusteve] #353519
06/21/09 09:28 PM
06/21/09 09:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Good point. I'll probably also replace the regulater next week. It looks fairly new, but I can't recall if I replaced it two years ago when I bought the car. This car has not been driven since 1988, so I'm not surprised by anything that crops up. (Extremely disappointed, but not surprised)

In a situation like this, that statement is not true. That's because you have changing loads, which can change the drop. I didn't analyze the entire possible parallel current path but just one possibility might be (picking a point out of thin air) that the ignition system is drawing more current at high RPM and INCREASING the drop to the regulator

Find and fix the drop, whether wiring or by adding a relay

THEN worry about different problems which may be affecting this one (headlights, etc)

LAST replace the regulator IF NECESSARY

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idl #353520
06/21/09 09:50 PM
06/21/09 09:50 PM
Alexandria,La.
B
BigTerry Offline
master
BigTerry  Offline
master
B

Alexandria,La.
I had a burn wire under the dash to the fusebox it was pretty cool rev the motor with the light on it was like watching a supernova blowing up!!

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idl [Re: dave571] #353521
06/22/09 12:08 PM
06/22/09 12:08 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

Quote:

It could be that the drop get's worse as the amperage output increases.

It could also bee that the drop is one issue, and that the alternator is shorted internally too.

I'd chase the drop issue first, then see what happens

higher rpms change the current draw. Higher current thru a resistor changes voltage.

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idl [Re: aarcuda] #353522
06/22/09 12:36 PM
06/22/09 12:36 PM
Houston Texas
PAINT IT BLACK Offline
Got a CHIP on my shoulder
PAINT IT BLACK  Offline
Got a CHIP on my shoulder

Houston Texas

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: dave571] #353523
06/22/09 01:39 PM
06/22/09 01:39 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline OP
Gusteve  Offline OP

Flint, MI
Quote:

Then run heavy wire from the relay directly to the main alternator pos post or the battery poitive post. This goes on the heavy circuit of the relay. Wire the other side of this relay circuit to the regulator.

I didn't see this post yesterday. Sounds like a quick and dirty way to get my car on the road. Is 12ga wire heavy enough for the positive run?

So, in this case, what would happen when I turn on my headlights? Wouldn't they then be running off the battery? i.e. - the regulator would see this constant 12V from the direct battery connection, so the alternator would not kick out more voltage until the 12V+ from the battery dropped below whatever threshold the regulator needs to turn on. Isn't that not good?

I just want to make sure I understand all this.

Would this also give me the added bonus of headlights not going dim at idle? I've seen references to a fix for that, and never looked into yet ('cause my headlights don't even work at this point, it was a "get to it later" thing).

Last edited by Gusteve; 06/22/09 01:43 PM.
Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353524
06/22/09 02:48 PM
06/22/09 02:48 PM
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Quote:

So, in this case, what would happen when I turn on my headlights? Wouldn't they then be running off the battery? i.e. - the regulator would see this constant 12V from the direct battery connection, so the alternator would not kick out more voltage until the 12V+ from the battery dropped below whatever threshold the regulator needs to turn on. Isn't that not good?

Turning on the headlights will have no more effect on the charging system in this situation, than it would in any other.

Accesory load will MORE accurately be read in this location. The regulator will maintain a MORE steady voltage than it ever did, doing it this way.

As for the dimming headlights, it may help, but only if the alternator is up to the task.

And yes, 12 G should be fine. I believe the factory wire is only 14 or 16.

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353525
06/22/09 02:52 PM
06/22/09 02:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't see this post yesterday. Sounds like a quick and dirty way to get my car on the road. Is 12ga wire heavy enough for the positive run?

Would this also give me the added bonus of headlights not going dim at idle? I've seen references to a fix for that, and never looked into yet ('cause my headlights don't even work at this point, it was a "get to it later" thing).

12ga should be plenty heavy. You might reread the whole thread, I mentioned a relay as well.

So far as headlights/ voltage:

ONCE YOU HAVE the regulator "had tied" to the battery voltage, that is, both a ground and a "sense" (ign) feed WITH NO DROP, then it does not matter what you do with the rest of the car----

the regulator will "try" and maintain it's set voltage, whatever that is, IE about 14-14.5V if it's working correctly.

What SHOULD happend in a good working system--one with no drop in the regulator circuit, no slipping belt, and a good, solid alternator, is that the system should "run" down the road at about 14V +/- V depending on temperature.

When you turn on ANY load, lights, cig lighter, heater, the regulator should IMMEDIATELY try to hold the SYSTEM (battery) voltage steady. The ONLY time this is not so is----

When you have "drop" problems in the regulator circuit as you seem to have

When you have problems with battery cables, and in some cases, the battery itself

When the alternator just "can't keep up" that is, either the alternator is an old 3x A unit, or has a winding or diode problem and just can't put out enough

When the belt begins to slip

NOW NONE OF THE ABOVE has anything to do with how bright the lights are!!! This is because the regulator MAY BE holding the system (battery) voltage at the proper voltage, BUT.....

The lighting circuit is a separate wire, separate connections, separate switch, and all this may ALSO have a "drop" problem, and because the headlights go through the bulkhead connector, they CERTAINLY have at least one more connection subject to corrosion/ looseness/ resistance, and voltage drop.

Using headlight relay(s) may be a good soloution. The wireing on all these old girls was not "all that heavy" even back then, and certainly hasn't improved with age.

You might want to study up on "Ohm's Law" and what we call "I squared R" losses.

If you draw a diagram of a battery--fuse--switch--resistor--lamp--back to battery

The resistor becomes a representation of all ADDITIVE losses in that circuit which are "at least"

The connections at the battery

The connections at the fuseholder and the fuse itself

The connections at the switch and the switch contacts IN the switch itself

The connections at the lamp

All these tiny resistances add up. When the load (size of the lamp) is increased, TWO THINGS may happen

One you get more loss because with a larger load you have more current flow, and this caused more VOLTAGE drop (loss) at each resistance

TWO this larger current causes HEAT which will cause some resistances to go UP in resistance and lose even MORE voltage (drop) so it's a never ending cycle.

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353526
06/22/09 03:02 PM
06/22/09 03:02 PM
IL
furious70 Offline
top fuel
furious70  Offline
top fuel

IL
Quote:

Quote:

Doing this would get the car running again safely, but depending on where the drop is, anything 'behind' it that's getting power will be getting 12v - the drop, correct? He'll be underpowering the problem component/circuit.

70 Sport Fury
68 Charger
69 Coronet
72 RR
Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: furious70] #353527
06/22/09 03:21 PM
06/22/09 03:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doing this would get the car running again safely, but depending on where the drop is, anything 'behind' it that's getting power will be getting 12v - the drop, correct? He'll be underpowering the problem component/circuit.

You have to understand what "drop" we are talking about. The start of the thread was "overcharging" which seems to be caused by voltage drop IN ONE CIRCUIT, IE the circuit feeding the ign terminal of the regulator. DEPENDING on where this drop is coming from, it may not affect other circuits at all.

However, even eliminating it with the relay suggessted should make it easier to find as it goes to other circuits, example, if in the ignition switch hot feed.

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle #353528
06/22/09 03:56 PM
06/22/09 03:56 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline OP
Gusteve  Offline OP

Flint, MI
Quote:

You have to understand what "drop" we are talking about. The start of the thread was "overcharging" which seems to be caused by voltage drop IN ONE CIRCUIT, IE the circuit feeding the ign terminal of the regulator. DEPENDING on where this drop is coming from, it may not affect other circuits at all.

With that in mind, I started tracing the wiring diagram to see where the circuit that feeds the IGN terminal goes to. One of the connections, DK Blue TR feeds to the ignition switch, and then directly from there feeds into the Brake Light Warning Lamp and brake light pressure switch. By coincidence, this light is always on (and pretty darn bright too, compared to other lights in the dash). I never worried about it before, since the brakes work fine I was just going to get to it later.

This may not be the problem, but it gives me a logic spot to start. (And if someone wants to chime in and say "well OF COURSE that's the problem, I'd be OK with that).

I also noticed that both of the IGN feed wires run through the bulkhead on either side of the Black Ammeter wire that fried the other day right at the bulkhead connector. Maybe they were bad too, but since they weren't obviously fried I didn't notice. (And someone above said I should re-check all those anyway)

At least at this point I'm feeling a little less overwhelmed by where to start. I might skip the relay thing until I at least track down some basic stuff. Its good to know that if all else fails, I can fall back on the relay for now.

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353529
06/22/09 04:06 PM
06/22/09 04:06 PM
IL
furious70 Offline
top fuel
furious70  Offline
top fuel

IL
#12 and #16, one is brown, one is dk blue with white tracer if it's like my Fury. I just went through that part of the harness to correct a meltdown. I'm running a 1 wire alt and several non-stock things now, so mine is now different.

On mine, the dk blue wire goes from the key into a big splice that powers the lights as you mention, then out to the bulkhead. Definitely look at both sides of the bulkhead for those wires along with your charge wire.

You haven't added any aftermarket stuff hanging off the switch, have you?

70 Sport Fury
68 Charger
69 Coronet
72 RR
Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: furious70] #353530
06/22/09 04:14 PM
06/22/09 04:14 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline OP
Gusteve  Offline OP

Flint, MI
Quote:

You haven't added any aftermarket stuff hanging off the switch, have you?

Only aftermarket thing is the voltmeter I added after I by-passed the factory Amp gauge. Now that I know how to test the voltage drop at the regulator, I think I'll disconnect the voltmeter and do another drop test. It would be just my luck that I accidentally caused this whole mess by using a cheap voltmeter.

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353531
06/22/09 07:01 PM
06/22/09 07:01 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline OP
Gusteve  Offline OP

Flint, MI
Hmm - hooked up a jumper cable to the IGN terminal on the regulator. I had the IGN wires unplugged from the tab, just pulled it off and hooked up the jumper cable. I connected the other end of the jumper cable to my battery (to the post connector, not the post itself). Still had the voltage draw. I did this once with a set of jumper cables, and a second time with a set of test wires.

This would seem to me that it IS the regulator itself. Can't buy one at the local parts store, have to order it.

I know, I know, I was told to do this first. But it sure seemed unlikely that this would actually be the real problem. I won't know until I pop in a new one.

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353532
06/24/09 08:11 PM
06/24/09 08:11 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline OP
Gusteve  Offline OP

Flint, MI
I feel kinda sheepish. After focusing on all the bad-news-what-if stuff, it was the regulator after all. I should have just done the basic test outlined above first. Test the ground to the case, test the 12V+ into the IGN side from the battery.

I'm not one to throw money at parts just to see if it solves a problem, but when I found out a cheap regulator was only about $10 I went for it. For $10 it was worth it. I'll still need to buy a decent 60AMP electronic unit when I replace the alternator with an upgraded one, but the the $10 one can go in the spare parts box.

Thanks for everyone's help. I now feel extremely educated on the rest of the wiring system on my car. I've got other electrical gremlins to chase down, and this experience will help a lot.

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353533
06/24/09 08:21 PM
06/24/09 08:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I feel kinda sheepish. After focusing on all the bad-news-what-if stuff, it was the regulator after all. I should have just done the basic test outlined above first. Test the ground to the case, test the 12V+ into the IGN side from the battery.

I'm not one to throw money at parts just to see if it solves a problem, but when I found out a cheap regulator was only about $10 I went for it. For $10 it was worth it. I'll still need to buy a decent 60AMP electronic unit when I replace the alternator with an upgraded one, but the the $10 one can go in the spare parts box.

Thanks for everyone's help. I now feel extremely educated on the rest of the wiring system on my car. I've got other electrical gremlins to chase down, and this experience will help a lot.

This just might have taught you a great deal about electrics in general, and how "stuff works" in your particular car. I see people on forums all the time that don't understand the first basic things about hookin' stuff up so it works

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353534
06/24/09 08:28 PM
06/24/09 08:28 PM
Lost and Spaced
B
bboogieart Offline
master
bboogieart  Offline
master
B

Lost and Spaced

good for you, don't feel like the lone ranger,
go get 'em.

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle #353535
06/24/09 09:12 PM
06/24/09 09:12 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline OP
Gusteve  Offline OP

Flint, MI
Quote:

This just might have taught you a great deal about electrics in general, and how "stuff works" in your particular car.

The concept of testing voltage drop-down across a circuit was very new to me. Thanks for that info!!!

Re: Yet another overcharging question. 16 volts at idle [Re: Gusteve] #353536
06/25/09 07:21 AM
06/25/09 07:21 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

I have a feeling I have the same issue. Mine it way up at idle and almost pegs w/ any rpm. I'll check the reg 1st.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2