Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: B Body Dana 60, Pinion Snubber, Driveline Vibration [Re: bulletpruf] #326664
05/29/09 12:23 AM
05/29/09 12:23 AM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
Whoa whoa whoa....

If you are rolling along at 80 mph and the vibration is there...and you put the car in N and the vibration goes away...

would you not want to investigate the converter/flexplate/flywheel balance? If the driveline was causing this the vibrato would still be there even in N when the car is rolling. Personally I'd think about finding a different driveshaft shop. It is straight or it's not. If not it needs to be retubed or it will never be correct.

Re: B Body Dana 60, Pinion Snubber, Driveline Vibration [Re: Jeremiah] #326665
05/29/09 10:17 AM
05/29/09 10:17 AM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Quote:

Whoa whoa whoa....

If you are rolling along at 80 mph and the vibration is there...and you put the car in N and the vibration goes away...

would you not want to investigate the converter/flexplate/flywheel balance? If the driveline was causing this the vibrato would still be there even in N when the car is rolling. Personally I'd think about finding a different driveshaft shop. It is straight or it's not. If not it needs to be retubed or it will never be correct.

I do not want to investigate the converter/flexplate balance, but I might end up having to. I want to swap to a 4 speed anyway, so maybe this is the time to do it.

Thanks,

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: B Body Dana 60, Pinion Snubber, Driveline Vibration [Re: bulletpruf] #326666
05/29/09 12:07 PM
05/29/09 12:07 PM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
Sorry man I did not mean to sound harsh. 'Just thinking out loud to isolate your problem. You'll get it, just takes time and some new gray hair.

Re: B Body Dana 60, Pinion Snubber, Driveline Vibration [Re: Jeremiah] #326667
05/29/09 04:17 PM
05/29/09 04:17 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Quote:

Sorry man I did not mean to sound harsh. 'Just thinking out loud to isolate your problem. You'll get it, just takes time and some new gray hair.

I didn't think your response was harsh, and I appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: B Body Dana 60, Pinion Snubber, Driveline Vibration [Re: bulletpruf] #326668
05/30/09 04:44 PM
05/30/09 04:44 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Took it to the local tire shop today. Wheels were all out of balance to some degree. All balanced out, but the two front ones didn't seem to be 100% true (brand new reproductions), so he said that I might still have some slight vibration. Sure enough, the vibration is still there, but significantly reduced. Need to hook up the speedo to see where it kicks in at, but I think it's probably around 70 mph.

Thanks for all the input!

Scott

Last edited by bulletpruf; 05/31/09 04:47 PM.

Re: B Body Dana 60, Pinion Snubber, Driveline Vibration [Re: Snoopy] #326669
06/07/09 01:14 PM
06/07/09 01:14 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Quote:

What did you determine on the length?
Length should be 50.39" ctr-ctr.

Measured it - it's 50.4" center-center, so I'm good there.

Have the Mopar adjustable pinion snubber installed at the lowest setting. Had to take the grider to it before I could get the pin in.

Thanks again for all the input.

Scott

Re: B Body Dana 60, Pinion Snubber, Driveline Vibration [Re: bulletpruf] #326670
06/07/09 02:15 PM
06/07/09 02:15 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Is the vibration in the steering wheel or in the seat of your pants?

Re: B Body Dana 60, Pinion Snubber, Driveline Vibration [Re: stumpy] #326671
06/08/09 09:11 PM
06/08/09 09:11 PM
Southeast Virginia
68jim Offline
super stock
68jim  Offline
super stock

Southeast Virginia
Scott,

Hate to chime in late here but I now find myself in your situation, just a little bit worse... Funny thing is I have the same set up in my car, 68 Road Runner-426-727-4.10 dana and live in Virginia...go figure... Car is a total restoration,and I had my drive shaft balanced prior to installation with new joints. Up to this point I had only driven the car around the neighborhood and a few small burnouts in front of the housewith no issues. I drove the car through town (3 miles/40MPH) for the alignment. After that was done I took it out for the highway run it it felt really good under throttle to about 70 or so and then I let off the throttle and it started the vibrations pretty strong. I slowed down and varied speeds and it seemed like it was more pronounced during deceleration. I took it home and put it up on the lift and everything looked and felt OK. In my mind I was thinking something from the rear end since the vibration was in the body and not the steering wheel. I took it out one more time and still had the same problem...all of a sudden the vibration went away and for a second or so I was pretty happy until I looked out in the mirror and saw nothing but smoke...and I mean a LOT of smoke... The heavy smoke cleared up but I was still getting intermittent puffs as I slowed down and got off the highway. Once off I pulled into a parking lot and discovered trany fluid everwhere under the car. I nursed the car back to the garage but had to go under 25 MPH as the car had vibrations bad enough that I did not want to chance anything by pushing it. Once under the car I found the tail shaft housing in two pieces, it broke just after the mount. Once I got things cleaned up a bit I pulled the driveshaft (the weights are still in place)and the U-joints still feel good through full travel. I spun the shaft out the back of the tranny and it is straight as best as I can visibly see. Good thing was that there was no damage to the body other than the mess from the tranny fluid.
This happened last weekend and I had to leave town before I could have the driveshaft re-checked... I also still need to drop the tranny pan and see if there may be any suprises...I love this hobby...

Anyone else ever bust a tailshaft housing???

Jim
68 Hemi Road Runner

5280664-P2010079.JPG (140 downloads)
Re: B Body Dana 60, Pinion Snubber, Driveline Vibration [Re: 68jim] #326672
06/11/09 02:58 PM
06/11/09 02:58 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Quote:

Scott,

Hate to chime in late here but I now find myself in your situation, just a little bit worse... Funny thing is I have the same set up in my car, 68 Road Runner-426-727-4.10 dana and live in Virginia...go figure... Car is a total restoration,and I had my drive shaft balanced prior to installation with new joints. Up to this point I had only driven the car around the neighborhood and a few small burnouts in front of the housewith no issues. I drove the car through town (3 miles/40MPH) for the alignment. After that was done I took it out for the highway run it it felt really good under throttle to about 70 or so and then I let off the throttle and it started the vibrations pretty strong. I slowed down and varied speeds and it seemed like it was more pronounced during deceleration. I took it home and put it up on the lift and everything looked and felt OK. In my mind I was thinking something from the rear end since the vibration was in the body and not the steering wheel. I took it out one more time and still had the same problem...all of a sudden the vibration went away and for a second or so I was pretty happy until I looked out in the mirror and saw nothing but smoke...and I mean a LOT of smoke... The heavy smoke cleared up but I was still getting intermittent puffs as I slowed down and got off the highway. Once off I pulled into a parking lot and discovered trany fluid everwhere under the car. I nursed the car back to the garage but had to go under 25 MPH as the car had vibrations bad enough that I did not want to chance anything by pushing it. Once under the car I found the tail shaft housing in two pieces, it broke just after the mount. Once I got things cleaned up a bit I pulled the driveshaft (the weights are still in place)and the U-joints still feel good through full travel. I spun the shaft out the back of the tranny and it is straight as best as I can visibly see. Good thing was that there was no damage to the body other than the mess from the tranny fluid.
This happened last weekend and I had to leave town before I could have the driveshaft re-checked... I also still need to drop the tranny pan and see if there may be any suprises...I love this hobby...

Anyone else ever bust a tailshaft housing???

Jim
68 Hemi Road Runner

Jim -

Hey, nice car! Do you have any pics you can send? If so, my e mail is bulletpruf_99@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Scott

Re: B Body Dana 60, Pinion Snubber, Driveline Vibration [Re: stumpy] #326673
06/11/09 02:59 PM
06/11/09 02:59 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Quote:

Vibration is in the seat of my pants.

Thanks,

Scott

Re: B Body Dana 60, Pinion Snubber, Driveline Vibration [Re: bulletpruf] #326674
07/06/09 06:46 PM
07/06/09 06:46 PM
Southeast Virginia
68jim Offline
super stock
68jim  Offline
super stock

Southeast Virginia
Just to close the loop here. I found out that my driveshaft that had been "custom balanced" was not really balanced at all. The new shop check it and it bounced their rig pretty hard. They found that the rear yoke was .015" offset and the front U-joint was undercut allowing it it favor one side. They got it all happy again and I tested it this past weekend and what a difference. It runs up to 90mph and really smooth!!!!! Now if I can figure out why the glove box pops open at speed???

Jim
68 Hemi Road Runner

5337014-DCP02502.JPG (145 downloads)
Re: B Body Dana 60, Pinion Snubber, Driveline Vibration [Re: bulletpruf] #326675
10/22/09 12:46 PM
10/22/09 12:46 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Quote:

Quote:

Vibration is in the seat of my pants.

Thanks,

Scott

After driving it again recently, feels like the vibration is coming thru my feet - floorboards. Maybe the exhaust is routed too close to the floorboard. My 70 GTO is occupying my lift (as well as my time and $) right now, but may fiddle with it this weekend.

Thanks,

Scott

Page 2 of 2 1 2