Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: TamrazsParts] #2624687
02/22/19 02:09 PM
02/22/19 02:09 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I don't know any good machine shops local to you but the $15K number isn't out of line for a stroker build using all new parts. The last few engines I did were closer to $20K for parts and labor but they had upgrades such as ported intakes, high dollar oiling systems etc. You might be able to do a high quality stroker build for $10K if you have some parts left over from a previous build and if you stay flat tappet cam. As soon as you go with a roller cam the budget goes up a big chunk.

Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: JERICOGTX] #2624689
02/22/19 02:12 PM
02/22/19 02:12 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted By JERICOGTX
Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
IMO just find a GOOD MACHINE SHOP. Round is round, square is square, flat is flat.

When I first got into this, I asked my machinist if he knew Mopars. He said "It's a chunk of iron, it doesn't know what it is". I've never questioned him again, and never had a problem with his work.

That is true to some extent but it is nice to work with a shop that knows enough about Mopars to know where to buy stuff. A really good machinist who only works on Chevy engines probably won't know where to buy special Mopar parts and tools. He might not even know they exist. And he probably won't know little tricks like using AMC lifters for pushrod oiling or where to find billet rear main seals and stuff like that. Even Mopar guys don't know a lot of these tricks which is why there are about 100 questions a day posted to this board.

Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: AndyF] #2624715
02/22/19 02:42 PM
02/22/19 02:42 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
B

Originally Posted By AndyF
Originally Posted By JERICOGTX
Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
IMO just find a GOOD MACHINE SHOP. Round is round, square is square, flat is flat.

When I first got into this, I asked my machinist if he knew Mopars. He said "It's a chunk of iron, it doesn't know what it is". I've never questioned him again, and never had a problem with his work.

That is true to some extent but it is nice to work with a shop that knows enough about Mopars to know where to buy stuff. A really good machinist who only works on Chevy engines probably won't know where to buy special Mopar parts and tools. He might not even know they exist. And he probably won't know little tricks like using AMC lifters for pushrod oiling or where to find billet rear main seals and stuff like that. Even Mopar guys don't know a lot of these tricks which is why there are about 100 questions a day posted to this board.

My thought wasn't on whether the shops that don't do much Mopar work can do it correctly, as much as are they familiar with some of the common mods (e.g., enlarging the BB oil system passages) that the more experienced shops do as a matter of course. shruggy

EDIT: Funny thing I found is that the shops that aren't "Mopar Only" are also more open to options on how/what can be built. Example: Every "Mopar" machine shop I've spoken or dealt with has been very firm on whether they'll upgrade with aluminum main caps vs steel main caps, and/or use girdles. Pretty much NO middle ground, despite any experiences or observations you can provide them that goes against their philosophy.

The non-Mopar shop that's done my last couple of rounds of block work is perfectly willing to listen to the pros & cons about both approaches. In the end, he thought my idea of using aluminum main caps for the "shock absorption" benefit along w/ a girdle to stabilize the caps was a pretty good idea, given what he knew -- or we talked about -- are the deficiencies of OEM RB blocks. I think his comment was: "I don't see any downside to doing both".

Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: BradH] #2624722
02/22/19 02:52 PM
02/22/19 02:52 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
A couple of local shops who do a lot of engines call me if they have a customer who wants a Mopar stroker engine built. These guys are so busy building engines all day long that they don't have time to research what is available. One guy just always used Indy heads since that was all he knew about until I showed him a set of Trick Flows. Once he saw the Trick Flow heads he switched.

If the customer doesn't know much about Mopar engines and he goes to a shop that doesn't know much about Mopar engines then the end result might be really generic. Even if the machine work is perfect, the engine might not perform great, or it might cost more than it needs to.

Does the shop knows that Molnar makes Mopar cranks or do they only know about 440Source? Do they know that Mahle has Mopar stroker pistons with a metric ring pack or do they just order the Icon pistons? Good engine builders tend to be in high demand which means they are super busy. Probably too busy to spend several hours researching all the options for an engine that they don't see very often.

Last edited by AndyF; 02/22/19 02:54 PM.
Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: TamrazsParts] #2624745
02/22/19 03:52 PM
02/22/19 03:52 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
IMO if you pick a place that knows nothing about ANYTHING Mopar then you picked the wrong place. I have NEVER used a "Mopar" shop and I think the results speak for themselves. Don't understand why some insist the only place that can build a Mopar is a "Mopar" shop.

The OP lives close to one of the BEST shops in the country. They have fast Pontiacs, Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Chevys, Fords and yes Mopars. In fact the fastest FSS car in the world was built there. A good shop is a good shop. Not to say places like Best, Barton, Marsh, Hensley, Kammer and Kammer, FBO, etc are not very good at what they do, and if I was close to one I would consider using them. But just using your local "mopar" guy may not get you the BEST results in your area. I used a Winston West builder when I was in NorCal for machine work, passing over the local "mopar guru" and was not disappointed one bit

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: TamrazsParts] #2624753
02/22/19 04:13 PM
02/22/19 04:13 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Well, I generally bring the machinist all my parts, Crank, rods, pistons, etc. Only thing he picks out are the rings, and bearings. My heads have usually been sent off to Dwayne Porter, and I've assembled the long block.

I'm not a fan of using someone 200 miles away, when a local guy does nice work, and gives me good advice. When I have had a problem, he took care of it right away. Would he do that if I wasn't local, and had not used him before? Probably not.

Last edited by JERICOGTX; 02/22/19 04:13 PM.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: TamrazsParts] #2624815
02/22/19 06:02 PM
02/22/19 06:02 PM
On the parachute mount
N
n20mstr Offline
master
n20mstr  Offline
master
N

On the parachute mount
not even a question
go to BES in Indiana or BEST in Michigan

....BAD A$$ STREET CAR.....
Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: TamrazsParts] #2624826
02/22/19 06:17 PM
02/22/19 06:17 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
Consider AUTO MACHINE, St. Charles, IL

Kim (front desk), and family owned, Jim DeBates and crew... they can do it all; have top quality machining equipment... very good to talk with, great long term business reputation! I recently had my short block built there. Highly respected from the AERA.

One major problem that is growing is that many shops are finding difficulty in keeping long-term machinists with experience... unless they pay well, then the people leave and find another career.... something other than machine-shop engine work. In fact, many shops have actually gone down to 2-3-4-5 ppl shops. They can afford to pick their work that comes to them.

Its also a growing industry problem teaching new machinists... many younger students would rather work on a keyboard/PC, making an easy $50-60-75K up etc... instead of in a machine shop building, measuring and machining an engine.... and getting their hands a little dirty. Just ask any long-term established shop... they'll tell you all about this issue. As well as finding good reliable workers that'll show up on established work days.. and be clean and sober, etc.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: TamrazsParts] #2624836
02/22/19 06:52 PM
02/22/19 06:52 PM
Naperville, IL
T
TamrazsParts Offline OP
TamrazsParts  Offline OP
T

Naperville, IL
True thank you to everyone above. You helped a fellow Moparian in need. I appreciate it.

Come check out our latest products!
http://www.tamrazs.com
Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: Brian Hafliger] #2624838
02/22/19 06:54 PM
02/22/19 06:54 PM
Naperville, IL
T
TamrazsParts Offline OP
TamrazsParts  Offline OP
T

Naperville, IL
I already have the machined, heads, block, intake...Hughes wanted to start all over and go with an entirely "their" engine. Thats not what I wanted to do.

Come check out our latest products!
http://www.tamrazs.com
Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: TamrazsParts] #2624858
02/22/19 07:49 PM
02/22/19 07:49 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By TamrazsParts
I already have the machined, heads, block, intake...Hughes wanted to start all over and go with an entirely "their" engine. Thats not what I wanted to do.

Ok, that's part of the problem. No way in HELL would I go back and work with another shops machine work. Absolutely no way. Now I get why Hughes wanted to start over. Just because someone does something doesn't mean I do it that way. I see guys spend a bunch of time and money on oiling mods that doesn't do anything. And that's just a start.

I won't touch another shops work.

Now your OP makes sense. I would do it Hughes way myself. I'd tell you I'll start over or not do it.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: TamrazsParts] #2624877
02/22/19 08:55 PM
02/22/19 08:55 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan

Folks really seem to hate cleaning up someone else's mess more than anything else. They all prefer to start fresh, and I can't blame 'em.

It's probably going to be kind of tough to find anyone who will assemble/build it and assume responsibility for it at the same time....unless they machined it too.

I hope you find a solution to this and aren't discouraged by it.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: TamrazsParts] #2624880
02/22/19 09:01 PM
02/22/19 09:01 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Yeah that makes it tough since now you've taken the profit out of it for a machine shop but you have also made it the shops problem if the parts are machined wrong. You're going to have to find someone who is willing to accept a box full of machined parts on faith that they were done correctly. If you are also on a budget then that becomes almost an impossible job for a shop to take on.

Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: AndyF] #2624883
02/22/19 09:16 PM
02/22/19 09:16 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
You could always assemble it yourself, It’s not brain surgery. Reading some of these posts makes it sound harder than it is.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: pittsburghracer] #2624888
02/22/19 09:39 PM
02/22/19 09:39 PM
B
BradH Offline
BradH  Offline
B

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
You could always assemble it yourself, It’s not brain surgery. Reading some of these posts makes it sound harder than it is.

Might cost you a few specialty tools, but it's a learning experience. Although I can't do my own head & block machining, I do all the assembly now. Only way that I'll know how it went together, especially after an experience or two where "professional" engine builders really let me down.

Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: ZIPPY] #2624890
02/22/19 09:45 PM
02/22/19 09:45 PM
B
BradH Offline
BradH  Offline
B

Originally Posted By ZIPPY

Folks really seem to hate cleaning up someone else's mess more than anything else. They all prefer to start fresh, and I can't blame 'em.

It's probably going to be kind of tough to find anyone who will assemble/build it and assume responsibility for it at the same time....unless they machined it too.

You mean like how my "finish machined" .040" OS block was taken out to .055" 'cuz the 2nd shop didn't like the work done by the 1st shop? whistling

Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: TamrazsParts] #2624901
02/22/19 10:22 PM
02/22/19 10:22 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
I’m pretty sure Markz528 brought BES a pile of previously machined stuff that had issues, and they didn’t seem to have any qualms about going through it and making it work.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: fast68plymouth] #2624904
02/22/19 10:30 PM
02/22/19 10:30 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
I’m pretty sure Markz528 brought BES a pile of previously machined stuff that had issues, and they didn’t seem to have any qualms about going through it and making it work.

If there is something left to work with and the customer is willing to pay then yes, you can follow another shops work. It's my experience that 99% of the people say they'll pay and then the sniveling starts.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: Mopar Mitch] #2624938
02/23/19 12:01 AM
02/23/19 12:01 AM
The Great White North
RAMM Offline
super stock
RAMM  Offline
super stock

The Great White North
Originally Posted By Mopar Mitch

One major problem that is growing is that many shops are finding difficulty in keeping long-term machinists with experience... unless they pay well, then the people leave and find another career.... something other than machine-shop engine work. In fact, many shops have actually gone down to 2-3-4-5 ppl shops. They can afford to pick their work that comes to them.

Its also a growing industry problem teaching new machinists... many younger students would rather work on a keyboard/PC, making an easy $50-60-75K up etc... instead of in a machine shop building, measuring and machining an engine.... and getting their hands a little dirty. Just ask any long-term established shop... they'll tell you all about this issue. As well as finding good reliable workers that'll show up on established work days.. and be clean and sober, etc.

All of this is true, in fact I've switched trades recently as well. J.Rob

2009 PHR\EMC Competitor
2010 PHR\EMC Competitor
2011 PHR\EMC Competitor
2012 PHR\EMC Competitor
2013 PHR\EMC Competitor
2014 HotRod/EMC Competitor
2015 HotRod/EMC NoShow
2016 HotRod/EMC 3rd place SPEC Bigblock
2018 HotRod/EMC 7th place G3
Re: Mopar Engine Builders - who is actually out there [Re: TamrazsParts] #2624945
02/23/19 12:13 AM
02/23/19 12:13 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Boy maybe I'm lucky. My recipe. Research what works for your desired combo. Send the pistons to the machine shop. Have it bored and honed to fit. Check line hone. Repair as nec. Deck as necessary. Make sure pistons, rods crank and cam clear each other. Check bearing clearance and adjust. Have the heads done by a reputable head guy. Check P to V. Trial fit valve train. Order correct push rods. Notch pistons as required. Balance assy. Assemble. If you can't or don't want to learn these steps and purchase the tools to do it. Then spend the $ and wait the time for a big name shop. Correctly done the result will be the same. Just a different time line and $.
Doug

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3