02/12/19 04:47 PM
02/12/19 04:47 PM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline OP
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline OP
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
I'm new to E-bodies and picked up a 70 Challenger a few months ago. (Thanks Moparts!)

It has the standard twin scoop hood with the plastic blackout/plugs a few inches in, under each scoop. When I'm on the highway at any speed over 75 the wind catches under the scoops and tries to pull the hood up. It's not a lot of movement but it's still disturbing seeing the hood moving around like that so I wondered if anyone had tried anything to improve the aero on that hood? I was thinking about blocking the scoops closer to the outside so that the air passes over each scoop. Any ideas?

Re: 70 Challenger hood scoops - anyone improve the aero? [Re: JF_Moparts] #2620343
02/12/19 05:27 PM
02/12/19 05:27 PM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
I'll take a stab. First, the standard hood on a Challenger has the two simulated air intakes much to close to the surface of the hood to be of any use for air intake. Teh main source of air would be at the front of the grill the recessed grill, though sexy as hell on the Challenger, isn't the most aerodynamic. There is a large build up of pressure at speeds. Some of this is good for cooling as the higher pressure will push air through the radiator.

With that said, it is doubtful that is the source of the issue. I am guessing that that you are missing or have ill adjusted hood bumpers. There are multiple fixed rubber bumpers at the rear of the hood. If the hinges are adjusted properly, the rear of the hood should rest on them. There are side bumpers that have spring loaded tapered rests that should keep hood from moving side to side and support the center. At the front are two adjustable bumpers that can be raised and lowered to adjust the height of the hood at the front. The latch should be adjusted to pull the hood slightly against the rubber stops on these adjusters while the height of the adjusters keeps hood aligned with fenders.

I'd check these adjusters and bumpers first.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1
Re: 70 Challenger hood scoops - anyone improve the aero? [Re: JF_Moparts] #2620417
02/12/19 07:19 PM
02/12/19 07:19 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
The scoops are NOT lifting your hood! The MASSIVE amount of air in the engine compartment is lifting your hood!

Re: 70 Challenger hood scoops - anyone improve the aero? [Re: RoadRunner] #2621149
02/14/19 04:59 AM
02/14/19 04:59 AM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline OP
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline OP
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By RoadRunner
I'll take a stab. First, the standard hood on a Challenger has the two simulated air intakes much to close to the surface of the hood to be of any use for air intake. Teh main source of air would be at the front of the grill the recessed grill, though sexy as hell on the Challenger, isn't the most aerodynamic. There is a large build up of pressure at speeds. Some of this is good for cooling as the higher pressure will push air through the radiator.

With that said, it is doubtful that is the source of the issue. I am guessing that that you are missing or have ill adjusted hood bumpers. There are multiple fixed rubber bumpers at the rear of the hood. If the hinges are adjusted properly, the rear of the hood should rest on them. There are side bumpers that have spring loaded tapered rests that should keep hood from moving side to side and support the center. At the front are two adjustable bumpers that can be raised and lowered to adjust the height of the hood at the front. The latch should be adjusted to pull the hood slightly against the rubber stops on these adjusters while the height of the adjusters keeps hood aligned with fenders.

I checked all that and it looks good. I even took a few photos showing pretty tight lines when the hood is closed (no misalignment and such). But I did take a closer look at the front grille and can see that the air that passes through either hits the radiator or probably goes straight up against the front of the hood. And the front of the hood is where the movement is.

Is this just a normal thing for older Challengers? Maybe blocking off the space to the left and right of the hood latch base would help?

Re: 70 Challenger hood scoops - anyone improve the aero? [Re: JF_Moparts] #2621264
02/14/19 02:05 PM
02/14/19 02:05 PM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
Originally Posted By JF_Moparts

I checked all that and it looks good. I even took a few photos showing pretty tight lines when the hood is closed (no misalignment and such). But I did take a closer look at the front grille and can see that the air that passes through either hits the radiator or probably goes straight up against the front of the hood. And the front of the hood is where the movement is.

Is this just a normal thing for older Challengers? Maybe blocking off the space to the left and right of the hood latch base would help?

It really shouldn't move at all. If the main latch is adjusted down so that the hood is putting some pressure on the rubber stoppers of the front adjusters, it should be nice and tight.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1
Re: 70 Challenger hood scoops - anyone improve the aero? [Re: RoadRunner] #2621283
02/14/19 02:35 PM
02/14/19 02:35 PM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline OP
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline OP
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist. Once it stops raining out here I'll take a video to show the movement of the hood.

Thanks.

Re: 70 Challenger hood scoops - anyone improve the aero? [Re: RoadRunner] #2621363
02/14/19 05:30 PM
02/14/19 05:30 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Originally Posted By JF_Moparts

It really shouldn't move at all. If the main latch is adjusted down so that the hood is putting some pressure on the rubber stoppers of the front adjusters, it should be nice and tight.

iagree

If the hood is moving any, the front latch isn't adjusted properly to hold the hood down on the hood bumpers.

If with the hood latched down you can move the hood any at the front, it's not properly adjusted.

It may need the height of the bumpers adjusted or the height of the latch adjusted.

If the back is moving it may be because of bad hood hinges.

You're looking for a reason why it's moving and thinking it's airflow, which is indirectly why because it's an adjustment issue.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: 70 Challenger hood scoops - anyone improve the aero? [Re: JF_Moparts] #2621390
02/14/19 07:15 PM
02/14/19 07:15 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
The outer corners of mine come up at speed. The hood fits perfect. It rises up much higher than I could ever pull on it by hand. Time for hood pins.
Doug

Re: 70 Challenger hood scoops - anyone improve the aero? [Re: dvw] #2621659
02/15/19 02:01 PM
02/15/19 02:01 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
something in my old mind recalls discussion[s] years ago, that E bodies suffered from "cowl shake". i can't recall what was done to reduce it.
could this have anything to do with the hood shaking ?
beer

Re: 70 Challenger hood scoops - anyone improve the aero? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2622167
02/16/19 03:42 PM
02/16/19 03:42 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda
The scoops are NOT lifting your hood! The MASSIVE amount of air in the engine compartment is lifting your hood!

Bingo

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]