Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2609455 - 01/20/19 03:49 PM Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . .
a12rag Offline
top fuel

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
So what are your thoughts ??

To me, seems like the resto-mod vehicle is the hot ticket, the old style with the new drive/feel . . . the hemi cars and wing cars seem to be losing a bit of their "mystique", prices not as high as I thought they were in the past.

Perhaps it is just a sign of the times, those that have the $$$ are getting older . . . .

If I were spending $60-100k on a vehicle, I don't think I would have as much fun with it, as I do my current ones, that I drive all the time, when I can !! . . . .

Parting thought : If the Ferrari's are such great vehicles, then why do you have to spend $10k or more a year on maintenance ??? They look great, drive great, but why can't they make them last ????

Cheers. next . . . .

#2609462 - 01/20/19 04:04 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: a12rag]
lewtot184 Offline
master

Loc: usa
too much "custom" stuff for me. got sick of looking at them and quit watching.

#2609481 - 01/20/19 04:33 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: a12rag]
therocks Offline
Its Lost

Loc: Niles , Ohio
Seems the trucks bring insane cash.Same with the say custom Camaors Vette etc.Who would pay 200 300 K for one then drive it?Ill bet most never see the road.Let alone most of the buyers could barely fit in them.Rocky

#2609507 - 01/20/19 05:14 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: a12rag]
loco340cuda Offline
super stock

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Originally Posted By a12rag
So what are your thoughts ??

To me, seems like the resto-mod vehicle is the hot ticket, the old style with the new drive/feel . . . the hemi cars and wing cars seem to be losing a bit of their "mystique", prices not as high as I thought they were in the past.

I kinda had the same thought as well. Seemed like nice restored stock condition cars did not bring in as much as I would have thought. As an example, what appeared to be a nice 1971 numbers matching 440-6 4-speed Cuda sold for $115k. I would have thought it would have sold for more than that. Not sure if maybe the car was not as nice in person.

I think more and more people are going the resto-mod direction (or are already into it) and I’m included in that group. I restored a 1970 340 4-speed Cuda to basically stock condition and after I completed it I sold it because it just did not drive and handle as good as I was hoping after it was restored (was thinking with all new/rebuilt parts it would handle better then it did. I went out and bought a new performance car (GT350 Mustang) and after having the car for a couple of years I have no desire to go back to an older muscle car purely due to performance and handling. I still love the looks of the old stuff but I want nothing to do with the way they drive, handle, and stop. If I decide to do another muscle car (which I probably will do at some point in the future) it will be with a modern drivetrain, suspension, and brakes.

I think a good deal of the allure of the old muscle cars where that they were faster than the average car on the street, but by today’s standards this is not really the case anymore as compared to say 10 years ago. Most of your modern high performance Challengers, Mustangs, and Camaro’s are faster and can out handle the old stuff (assuming the old stuff is stock or maybe mildly built). So by putting a modern drivetrain, suspension, and brakes on the old stuff you bring these old cars back on par with the new stuff (for the most part) and still get to keep the looks of the old stuff. Now that you have the best of both worlds you can then command good money for your resto-mod (assuming it is done right).

#2609509 - 01/20/19 05:20 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: a12rag]
Goes Like Hell S Offline
enthusiast

Loc: ation
Yup, best of both worlds.

#2609510 - 01/20/19 05:20 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: a12rag]
Pacnorthcuda Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Kirkland, Washington
What was the story on the bright green metallic Dodge Dart that went for INSANE money.....like $200k???

#2609515 - 01/20/19 05:28 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: a12rag]
parksr5 Offline
mopar

Loc: Oh
I agree with what everyone above has said. Regarding the comment about Hemi and Wing cars loosing their mystique, I found that same thing to be true with some other nice muscle cars. I personally think that is a good thing and gives me hope.

I saw a few nice cars that sold for what I thought was good money; meaning I believe the price was reasonable for what the vehicle was. I saw a few and thought to myself, that thing sold for less than what I've seen the majority of those cars listed for on E-bay, Craigslist, Auto Trader type sites etc.

These types of auctions have set the tone for prices in the past so; I hope it works like that going forward. In the past, people saw x,y,z Hemi car sell for 100k on t.v. so; they assumed that the same model that they own must be worth that too (even if it is a slant six, automatic, bench seat car that's green on green). I hope people saw some of the sale prices and think wow, I've had mine listed for sale for months at 15k above what the one on BJ sold for so; I need to lower my price.

I've seen so many cars for sale over the past few years that are overpriced and have been on the same sites for sale for all that time. YOU'RE PRICED TOO HIGH; LOWER YOUR PRICE AND IT WILL SELL. I get tired of seeing the same cars on the same sites for that amount of time; it's annoying to have to sift through 20% of the vehicles where people are on crack, where the prices are so high that I have to just ignore them.

Example, I've seen a 65 Coronet on Craigslist that's been for sale for around a year. Looks like a nice car but, the starting price was 55k; I think they've come down to 53K. In the same search, most of other 65's that are nice cars are in the 20-30k range. Some of them have been on there for awhile too. Does the owner of the 53k car honestly think his price is realistic?

#2609517 - 01/20/19 05:37 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: Pacnorthcuda]
parksr5 Offline
mopar

Loc: Oh
Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda
What was the story on the bright green metallic Dodge Dart that went for INSANE money.....like $200k???

I saw a 65 Dart of all things sell for big money too. I thought it hammered for around 115k though. It was a resto mod. Not saying that some don't like 65's but, they're not too desirable.

There was a 74 Firebird Resto Mod that sold for 60K, They said that the builder had 200k in it. One of the BJ owners even stopped the bid and said that the bid was just too low for the money that it took to build the car. My thought, that's the point of a no reserve auction; the price will reflect what those in the room perceive the value to be. I mention this as the 74 I think is similar to the 65 Dart; not that no one likes them, they're just not a mainstream car like a 68 Charger. A builder is taking a chance by modding something like that with the intent of trying to make money.

#2609537 - 01/20/19 06:15 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: parksr5]
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman

Loc: 85086

The green dart was done to highest level possible and sold for pennies on the dollar. With all the great handling high powered cars available a 440 six pack cuda selling for $115,000 is still great money.

All these auction cars are a pig in a poke they have to get across stage and that's all. Seeing them on TV vs in person a lot more flaws come out. Trying to find the owner of the car to ask questions is near impossible as they are holding out for the second bidder in the room to drive up the price.

Overhearing some of the talk at the Pavilions from the sellers of these cars I wouldn't buy a wheel barrow from them. twocents

#2609562 - 01/20/19 06:57 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: moparpollack]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: N.E. OHIO, USA
I lost it and turned it off when two of the TV guys were talking about a Chevelle and the fact that it had a cast exhaust manifold with the air injection ports and the air injection working. One said that was the first thing to go and plugs installed which I thought was correct. Then the other explained how the air injection pump worked "it injected air into the exhaust manifold to further burn the unburned carbohydrates".....I backed up the video four times to listen if I may have heard wrong....nope "carbohydrates"

car·bo·hy·drate..

[ˌkärbəˈhīˌdrāt]

NOUN
any of a large group of organic compounds occurring in foods and living tissues and including sugars, starch, and cellulose. They contain hydrogen and oxygen in the same ratio as water (2:1) and typically can be broken down to release energy in the animal body.

Okay I know we all make mistakes and I'm way more guilty of making mistakes but it was just timely enough of being frustrated with the few Mopars to get a fair shake of air time and deserved bidding and selling price to put me over the top. Sheeeth an A12 Road Runner goes across the block and the best thing they could say about it was "back in the day this is how it was shown at the local car hang out" talking about the hood props. NO ONE EVER OPENED or LIFTED OFF THEIR HOOD to give away what was under it.....it would cost you $$$$$ to see if it ever even happened. Some of you were there and know almost always the hoods were closed, who shows their poker hand before they are called?????? And then the RR horn....and I'm surprised it worked as it usually never does laugh2 To me it seams that 80% of BJ viewing time is a waste of good time, like watching a bad reality show and then asking yourself "why the heck did I waste my time watching that" realcrazy laugh2

#2609573 - 01/20/19 07:11 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: parksr5]
not_a_charger Online   mad

Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Loc: Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
Quote:
One of the BJ owners even stopped the bid and said that the bid was just too low for the money that it took to build the car.

More of Steve Davis lecturing his customers. Dude is a tool.

I think 5 years from now, these restomods will be back at B-J, and selling for half of what they sold for this time around.

There was an orange, early 60s Ford F250 that was customized, sold for $17k. If the paint was as good as it looked on TV, there had to be double the price just in body/paint. Had to be a $100k build.

DBAP

#2609589 - 01/20/19 07:29 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: a12rag]
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard

Loc: Spokane Washington
IMO it's pretty simple. There were more nice Restomods than there were nice Musclecars so more of them brought the money. If there were higher quality Musclecars you would have likely seen higher prices paid for them. A lot of seemingly "nice" Mopars at BJ were lower quality or had shady pasts. Educated buyers held back the big money bids.

For those looking at buying a restomod in the 6 figure range, it's like anything custom.....Trendy! Todays "In" look will be tomorrows "dated" look. Add to that wear and age from use and your 300K custom will bring half (or less) next time around at the auction. Restored car values are much more stable over time.

#2609597 - 01/20/19 07:39 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: a12rag]
Doc Fiberglass Offline
New title coming soon...

Loc: ...to Paradise from ParaICE !
Jsta watched my vhs ma-scheen last nite - I had dreams of that lead sled 49 Merc ! What a sweet car !

#2609618 - 01/20/19 08:00 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: a12rag]
topside Offline
I Live Here

Loc: So Near, Yet So Far
I think it should be re-named the ModVette Nationals. That, restomod tri-fives & pick-up trucks were the better returns on investment...at least this year. They could become dated, but now they're hot among the crowd that showed up.
There were some deals to be had, a few insane bidding wars, and apparently not the right audience for correctly restored Mopar muscle, with the exception of that R4 Daytona. That could change at another auction.
I find it kinda funny that 396/325 Chevelles bring so much money; not only are they pretty common, but a good 383 Road Runner will beat 'em.
As for Ferraris, not only are they high-strung & mechanically complex, their owners are folks with $$$ and the shops that work on them charge a ton for servicing.
Bottom line, it's one auction out of several, with more to come. You still have to pay up for the nicest cars in the real world.

#2609679 - 01/20/19 09:37 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: a12rag]
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard

Loc: Spokane Washington
Quote:
That, restomod tri-fives & pick-up trucks were the better returns on investment...

Depends on who the "investor" is. I don't see a clear winner. Buyer may be getting a deal as even the cars that hit $300K likely cost more than that to build, and the buyers will likely never make a profit or more likely, even get what they paid back if sold in the future.

The real winner? Craig Jackson, he gets paid no matter what smile

#2609685 - 01/20/19 09:57 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: a12rag]
McCandlessboy Offline
super stock

The best of the best will always bring big money. Smart money isn't over paying for lesser cars. The forward look era stuff did well. I've harped that the next rush is on 50's mopars. It's easy for big money to understand. They are made in much smaller numbers than muscle cars, you don't need a PHD to understand all of the differences and the styling is awesome. I think they have a lot more room to run than muscle cars. Now, they'll never get to hemi cuda convertible range, but I think they can double over the next 2-3 years.

#2609686 - 01/20/19 09:59 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: a12rag]
topside Offline
I Live Here

Loc: So Near, Yet So Far
Scott, I'm looking at it from a builder's view, not the buyer's. I think several of those selling the restomods I mentioned made good money on their cars. That said, it's a bit of Russian roulette even on those.
But yeah, the BIG winner is Craig!

#2609692 - 01/20/19 10:08 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: ScottSmith_Harms]
a12rag Offline
top fuel

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Quote:
That, restomod tri-fives & pick-up trucks were the better returns on investment...

Depends on who the "investor" is. I don't see a clear winner. Buyer may be getting a deal as even the cars that hit $300K likely cost more than that to build, and the buyers will likely never make a profit or more likely, even get what they paid back if sold in the future.

Yup, that is the story, the auction house ALWAYS WINS !!! . . .

#2609698 - 01/20/19 10:25 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: ScottSmith_Harms]
70sixpkRT Offline

Loc: South San Francisco, Ca
Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Quote:

iagree

4-speed
3:54 Dana
13.01 @107.93 with street tires (not hooking up)

#2609700 - 01/20/19 10:27 PM Re: Conclusions from Barrett Jackson . . . [Re: a12rag]
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Loc: Moredoor, PA
There are unscrupulous sellers that use the various auction houses to sell their cars too.

Remember the 'LA built' Hemi Cuda a while back?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,738 Registered Members
32 Forums
192,835 Topics
2,249,037 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
1971 HEMICUDA HISTORY SEARCHING.. BS23R1B CAR
by 71redcuda
02/16/19 03:46 AM