Lost in Time
Iowan Offline
super stock
Iowan  Offline
super stock

Lost in Time
Originally Posted By rb446
Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
I’m not arguing with anyone, as I said......”imo” the OP’s proposed build isn’t in need of a DP carb.

Everyone has their own set of priorities, and will build/buy as they see fit.
I’m sure if/when he decides a DP carb will be a worthwhile upgrade, he’ll get one.

If I were in his shoes, with a basically new 750vs in my possession, I wouldn’t be looking for another carb for the planned combo.

Ok we are discussing, I would like to hear your opinion on whether once he has a some runs with that 750VS and a good tune, do you think he would go any quicker with say an 850DP with the given set up and that PTC verter, bearing in mind the goal here is Performance as I understand things which is why he originally asked about porting the heads etc.

I might have missed something but I thought the plan was not to spend money, do a cheap put together. Build with the money you tell your wives it costs witch is nothing.

Have a great day
Iowan

"obsolete is neat"

Re: Ported Heads on a 440? [Re: toyotajeep] #2589873
12/10/18 03:28 PM
12/10/18 03:28 PM
UK
rb446 Offline
mopar
rb446  Offline
mopar

UK
Which is why I said borrow a carb...anyhow I'm sure it'll run ok with that 750 and he'll have fun....and nobody has yet answered my question.

Last edited by rb446; 12/10/18 04:38 PM.

1969 'Cuda 446ci, best 9.96@133.9 in 1990
1971 340 'Cuda, best 11.01@122.8 in 1987
Re: Ported Heads on a 440? [Re: toyotajeep] #2589957
12/10/18 06:28 PM
12/10/18 06:28 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Only one way of to know for sure.

I’ve seen many guys with 440’s running traditional 850DP holleys that had very slight(or not so slight) stumbles and hesitations at the starting line they couldn’t completely tune out.
If this was what the situation was, then I’d expect the car might mph a little better with the 850, and ET about the same.

As Zippy posted already, his mild combo was about .1 and 1mph better with an annular 850DP over a 3310.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Ported Heads on a 440? [Re: Torquemonster440] #2590053
12/10/18 09:15 PM
12/10/18 09:15 PM
UK
rb446 Offline
mopar
rb446  Offline
mopar

UK
Originally Posted By Torquemonster440
Like rb446 said.. a rebuilt double pumper will do more for the "seat of the pants" dyno than almost anything. Trust me I dumped a bunch of money into my old 3310 before stepping up to my 850 double pumper.. bolted on the 850.. felt like I picked up 30hp right off the bat. Truly awesome ! .. but beg ,borrow or steal a double pumper !! You won't regret it. Lol.

At least 1 person got what I was on about.......

1969 'Cuda 446ci, best 9.96@133.9 in 1990
1971 340 'Cuda, best 11.01@122.8 in 1987
Re: Ported Heads on a 440? [Re: toyotajeep] #2590230
12/11/18 03:25 AM
12/11/18 03:25 AM
Boise
M
Moparteacher Offline
mopar
Moparteacher  Offline
mopar
M

Boise
It's been a few years since I instructed High School, but I remember it fondly.

OP, your projects are outstanding and will have a lasting impression on your students for decades to come. Incredible work on the Ford.

As for the heads and carb? Focus on the value of the lesson. What lesson is of greatest value, greatest learning potential?

Have the students port the factory heads. Start with another set, or sets. Maybe Chevy heads. Teach them patience, form over size, velocity over volume, equalization, and bit and tool use, preservation, and care.
Teach them to be conservative in their approach.
Teach them the value in reading and researching known good techniques, homework assignment.
Teach them to disassemble, measure, remeasure, assembly, etc.
Teach them the value in honest, hard, quality work with what they have instead of how to spend money for someone else's mediocre effort.
When you have a few that are committed to good head work and show that they have developed the skills necessary for a minor port job then set them loose on the factory heads.

Bracket racing? Teach them about consistency and reliability instead of how to purchase speed.

If they learn how to make what they have work for them then they will be more likely to succeed with what they have.

And, show them how to budget and prioritize through example.

Use the heads you have and use the carb you have. Use the converter you have and use the gears you have. Teach it like it's 1975, and there's little to no aftermarket options and they'll have the foundation to make anything work for them. Purchase nothing, borrow nothing, steal nothing. Your goal is not to be the fastest, or even win the race, but to build skills, expose talent, and develop a love for the craft. Build the character by building the car. When they are grown the skills will pay for the pretty parts, not the other way around.
Best of luck.

Re: Ported Heads on a 440? [Re: Moparteacher] #2590368
12/11/18 02:23 PM
12/11/18 02:23 PM
Lost in Time
Iowan Offline
super stock
Iowan  Offline
super stock

Lost in Time
Originally Posted By Moparteacher

OP, your projects are outstanding and will have a lasting impression on your students for decades to come. Incredible work on the Ford.

As for the heads and carb? Focus on the value of the lesson. What lesson is of greatest value, greatest learning potential?

Have the students port the factory heads. Start with another set, or sets. Maybe Chevy heads. Teach them patience, form over size, velocity over volume, equalization, and bit and tool use, preservation, and care.
Teach them the value in reading and researching known good techniques, homework assignment.
Teach them the value in honest, hard, quality work with what they have instead of how to spend money for someone else's mediocre effort.
When you have a few that are committed to good head work and show that they have developed the skills necessary for a minor port job then set them loose on the factory heads.

Bracket racing? Teach them about consistency and reliability instead of how to purchase speed.

If they learn how to make what they have work for them then they will be more likely to succeed with what they have.

Use the heads you have and use the carb you have. Use the converter you have and use the gears you have. Teach it like it's 1975, and there's little to no aftermarket options and they'll have the foundation to make anything work for them. Purchase nothing, borrow nothing, steal nothing. Your goal is not to be the fastest, or even win the race, but to build skills, expose talent, and develop a love for the craft. Build the character by building the car. When they are grown the skills will pay for the pretty parts, not the other way around.
Best of luck.

Learn to build before you learn to buy!

Have a great day
Iowan

"obsolete is neat"

Re: Ported Heads on a 440? [Re: toyotajeep] #2590372
12/11/18 02:30 PM
12/11/18 02:30 PM
Lost in Time
Iowan Offline
super stock
Iowan  Offline
super stock

Lost in Time
The oil pump cover needs port work also on the bb mopar, pull the cover and look at the 90 degree turn open and blend.

Have a great day
Iowan

"obsolete is neat"

Re: Ported Heads on a 440? [Re: Iowan] #2590374
12/11/18 02:31 PM
12/11/18 02:31 PM
N.E. Ohio
6bblFLASH Offline
master
6bblFLASH  Offline
master

N.E. Ohio
Originally Posted By Iowan
Originally Posted By Moparteacher

Best of luck.

Learn to build before you learn to buy!

Well said and written.

As an much older racer told me 30 years ago "we had fast cars before Summit Racing opened "

70` Cuda`,440 6BBL Jerico,Dana 4.56 Still on 93 Pump Gas
9.87 @ 136/1.31-60ft.`09 Mopar Nationals PASSON PERFORMANCE "Stick-Shift" Champ!
2013 StickShift Challenge Winner@ Mopar Nationals!
Re: Ported Heads on a 440? [Re: toyotajeep] #2590377
12/11/18 02:33 PM
12/11/18 02:33 PM
Southern Oregon
T
toyotajeep Offline OP
super stock
toyotajeep  Offline OP
super stock
T

Southern Oregon
I really don't want to get into the Bronco thing here, but there is almost zero bought parts there other than what I had to.

We made our own dash, floors, frame, engine mounts etc. No kits. I did have to buy a ton of weatherstripping and parts as I am going to drive it pretty often when not in the newer cars. It has to be solid.

As far as the car goes, I have inquired about the cylinder head offer pages back as that only makes sense.

But trust me there will be lots of building. Things like the fuel tank, subframe connectors, battery in trunk, exhaust. Narrowing the rear end in house, shortening the driveshaft etc. I don't know the meaning of "take it in" in my personal or most of my teaching career.

We are rural here. I do everything and buy very little. The costs will go exponential if I don't control them.

I've been a hot rod fan my whole life, I prefer them to trucks. And if not now when? Never even been down the strip even though I spectate often.

It is time. I have all these parts I can't sell if I wanted to around here at least. So time to put them to work.

Yesterday we started stripping brackets off of the 8.8 which should be ready to narrow by the end of the week.

1989 Dodge Cummins & 1989 Dodge W-250
Re: Ported Heads on a 440? [Re: toyotajeep] #2590576
12/11/18 09:24 PM
12/11/18 09:24 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Originally Posted By toyotajeep

As far as the car goes, I have inquired about the cylinder head offer pages back as that only makes sense.

I stand by my offer. Let me know.

Re: Ported Heads on a 440? [Re: toyotajeep] #2590577
12/11/18 09:26 PM
12/11/18 09:26 PM
Southern Oregon
T
toyotajeep Offline OP
super stock
toyotajeep  Offline OP
super stock
T

Southern Oregon
I will do so. We are crunching on the Bronco really hard. Getting close. Aiming for end of Jan. to drive it out.

Starting to do component work on the car right now. Got 90% of the brackets off of the 8.8 today. RMVB came in the mail for the 727.

1989 Dodge Cummins & 1989 Dodge W-250
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5