Israel
A
Adama Offline OP
Adama  Offline OP
A

Israel
Dear all,

I would appreciate any expert advice for the following situation:
My vehicle, Jeep Liberty 07, required an alternator replacement.
This vehicle connects to the Alternator with a Single field dual wire.
One wire Brown/gr is the single field connector and the other is the Kelvin Sense (Blue). Both are connected to the PCM.

I received the new alternator, with wrong connector. The type was dual field , connector with two pins (F1 F2).

I have grounded one field and connected the other to the single field wire (Brown/green).

The Blue wire (sense) was not connected anywhere.

The Alternator functions and charges ~14.2v and no apparent errors appear in vehicle.

I am a bit worried, as the Blue sense wire has not been connected anywhere and it is connected to the PCM for voltage/amp regulation(?).

The only info I could find was here: LINK

Please advise:
A> should I worry (probably should)
B> where should I connect the Sense (blue wire)

Thank you for your expertise
PS. I know that I could get the correct alternator, but as the title mentions, I am stubborn and need to prove a point (hopefully not that I am wrong).

Re: New Alternator help for a stubborn fellow [Re: Adama] #2561846
10/10/18 11:40 AM
10/10/18 11:40 AM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
This is very unusual, perhaps even unique. I'll give some feedback, i've worked on a lot of weird stuff, but not your exact situation.
_The new alternator has an internal regulator, not a PCM controlled regulator, so it is working fine as you have it wired up now.
_There is probably a code in the PCM for something to do with the alternator/regulator control.
_ Not being a US spec car I'm just guessing that it wont turn on the CEL as it's not an emissions failure.
_ You can either leave it the way it is, or get the correct alternator and hook it up the way it was originally.
_I would NOT hook up the sense wire, unless you get the correct alternator.
_You may lose a small amount of fuel economy, depending on driving habits, but it will be tiny.
That's all I have twocents wave

Re: New Alternator help for a stubborn fellow [Re: Adama] #2563730
10/14/18 02:49 AM
10/14/18 02:49 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
The PCM has other 12 volt hot wires to it plus 12 volt key on wires so it will still know battery voltage but maybe not as accurate as the blue sense wire may be. But as a Mopar tech for many years most all of the ones in the 80's through the early 2000's just used the battery wire to the PCM for battery reference volts. So I would think you will be fine but you will know if you put a load on the system and the alt puts out more/enough amps to keep the system supplied and the battery at the reference volts. Ron