03/19/09 12:06 AM
03/19/09 12:06 AM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline
Why would you even post that?

So Cal
Sorry I have to put the little one to sleep and will not be able to help you on the setup but you can look it up like you just did. Hopefully I typed this correctly.

To double check if you are at Zero. Put the piston stop in the Number one cylinder again.

1. Begin by rotating the crankshaft by hand in a clockwise direction, until the piston comes up and stops against the piston stop.

2. Note the position of where the pointer is at the degree wheel.

3. Next hand turn the engine in the opposite direction until the piston comes up and once again at the stop.

4. Look at the pointer again ‘this should stop exactly the same amount on the other side of Zero!’

5. Again TDC is the distance exactly between these two marks and should be Zero. If it is not then you are off, do below.
  • Remove the stop and rotate the motor until the degree wheel is exactly between the two marks above in steps 2 and 4.
  • Without moving the wheel, move the pointer to Zero. Now rotate the motor a quarter turn and put the stop in again.
  • Repeat steps 1-5 above again if the degree wheel stops the same amount before and after zero you are exactly at zero.

Locating TDC is CRITICAL if you are to Degree the Cam successfully.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! [Re: 64Post] #255002
03/19/09 08:43 AM
03/19/09 08:43 AM
Central NC
gch Offline
master
gch  Offline
master

Central NC
Not to be an idiot here but you are degreeing it off the intake valve arent you?Years ago someone non mopar knowledgeable degreed mine off the exhaust valve(it is the first valve on number one).It ran fine but had no power.Degreed it properly and what a difference!

Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! [Re: gch] #255003
03/19/09 11:20 AM
03/19/09 11:20 AM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
I will ignore many of the snide remarks directed at me on this thread ( I got no problem if you disagree with me )as they only show a persons ignorance and do nothing to help azmopardart. I'm also not partaking in this thread to " blow my own horn" or impress anyone with my automotive knowledge ( that's kids crap ) as this also does nothing to help azmopardart solve his problems. That being said, to azmopardart: Sounds like you have most of your problems solved by getting the cam oriented to the crank properly - got the dots lined up. Glad to see you are taking the "next step" in professional engine building by degreeing in the cam. Once you have done it, it will become an automatic with future build-ups. The process has a two fold objective: 1 - verify what the cam Mfg is telling you ( cam specs ). 2 - to tailer the cam to your specific needs at the track by advancing or retarding it ( in relation to the crank )from the Mfg's suggested installation. Remember this: You will seldom find a cam off more than 3-4 degrees from there posted ( cam card ) info. - lining up the dots!! There are always exceptions of coarse - but rare. Just be wary if you come up with numbers that are way different than what the cam Mfg sez. If you are positive your numbers are correct and they are way off from the Mfg's numbers, you will probably be better off dumping the cam rather than trying to fix it with off-set keys, etc. Don't make changes to the cam timing greater than about 4 degrees ( advance or retard )from the suggested in stall numbers. You will be better off changing cams to one that is better suited to your specific needs. Finally, don't forget that 3/8" fuel line! Good luck, John

Fastest 300
Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! [Re: Crizila] #255004
03/19/09 03:28 PM
03/19/09 03:28 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
az - Cool on the findings. You are now experiencing the quality of MP parts first hand!! the last mopar cam I did required 10° of change to get it where MP intended it. So if you have repeating results, I'd say you're correct. Here's the rub... You cam is retarded 8.5°.. the higher the figure, the more retarded it is in relation to the piston position. So you will need to advance it, and advancing the cam will build MORE cylinder pressure. You will want to fuel the car properly once you get this thing dialed in. You're already past pump fuel.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! [Re: Crizila] #255005
03/19/09 05:34 PM
03/19/09 05:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I will ignore many of the snide remarks directed at me on this thread ( I got no problem if you disagree with me )as they only show a persons ignorance and do nothing to help azmopardart.

After reading your bio:

Quote:

My first Chrysler was a 1958 300D. Owned many Chrysler products since then, including a 63 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible Max wedge 426 - 3 speed stick (one of eight). Held many AHRA records in the 60's with a 64 Max Wedge 330 Dodge.

I'll wait till another time to expose my ignorance by directing snide remarks your way.

Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! #255006
03/19/09 10:27 PM
03/19/09 10:27 PM
Glendale, AZ
69L78Nova Offline OP
Banned. Forever.
69L78Nova  Offline OP
Banned. Forever.

Glendale, AZ
Well, I think im back in action! Put it all together, double and triple checked everything, and it sounds like a different car! Pulling about 9 inches of vacuum at idle, lopes at 1400rpm (was almost smooth at 900 before), and doesnt smell like raw fuel at idle. Engine is VERY snappy and responsive. Gotta go over the finer points now such as primary jetting to start with and play with ignition timing. An honest thank you to all that took the time to offer advise

Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! [Re: 69L78Nova] #255007
03/19/09 10:36 PM
03/19/09 10:36 PM
Baltimore/Denver
64Post Offline
master
64Post  Offline
master

Baltimore/Denver
Quote:

Well, I think im back in action! Put it all together, double and triple checked everything, and it sounds like a different car! Pulling about 9 inches of vacuum at idle, lopes at 1400rpm (was almost smooth at 900 before), and doesnt smell like raw fuel at idle. Engine is VERY snappy and responsive. Gotta go over the finer points now such as primary jetting to start with and play with ignition timing.

Fantastic!!!

Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! #255008
03/19/09 10:38 PM
03/19/09 10:38 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Hey Curtis, thanks for posting my Bio, although I'm sure most of the "click" has already read it. It's a non-fiction Bio ( Check out the November issue of MCG ). I won't be posting yours, although it sounds quite interesting - and impressive. Congrats on retirement. You beat me by 2 years - although I'm a little older than you. Have a great day!

Fastest 300
Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! [Re: Crizila] #255009
03/19/09 10:55 PM
03/19/09 10:55 PM
Baltimore/Denver
64Post Offline
master
64Post  Offline
master

Baltimore/Denver
Quote:

Hey Curtis, thanks for posting my Bio, although I'm sure most of the "click" has already read it. It's a non-fiction Bio ( Check out the November issue of MCG ). I won't be posting yours, although it sounds quite interesting - and impressive. Congrats on retirement. You beat me by 2 years - although I'm a little older than you. Have a great day!

The word is "clique." And since I know already I'm ignorant...

As impressive as your accomplishments were, imagine how many more records you would've held if you degreed a few cams along the way instead of just lining up the dots and putting in a bigger fuel line. Considering your resume, there really is no excuse.

Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! [Re: 64Post] #255010
03/20/09 12:33 AM
03/20/09 12:33 AM
Montana
P
Posest Offline
super stock
Posest  Offline
super stock
P

Montana
Hey now. We are all here to learn. No need to be so uppity. What works for one may or may not work for another. If people want to bicker go elsewhere. That is the biggest turn off of this place. I am not taking any sides on this, but we all should have learned something. If you did not learn anything then maybe you should not post but just read and think how you knew it all.

Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! [Re: Posest] #255011
03/20/09 12:41 AM
03/20/09 12:41 AM
Baltimore/Denver
64Post Offline
master
64Post  Offline
master

Baltimore/Denver
Quote:

If you did not learn anything then maybe you should not post but just read and think how you knew it all.

Hey, I wasn't the one trying to correct a compression issue by increasing the size of the fuel line.

Maybe you should read the thread from the beginning.

Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! [Re: 64Post] #255012
03/20/09 07:02 AM
03/20/09 07:02 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
Glad you got it sorted out, go have some fun w/ it and let us know what times you pull.

Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! [Re: Mr.Yuck] #255013
03/20/09 09:10 AM
03/20/09 09:10 AM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
In a previous post on this thread I mentioned that you will rarely find a cam off spec more tham 3-4 degrees and if you do, I suggested dumping the cam rather than trying to correct it. To clarify, I have degreed in lots of cams over the years ( remember, I'm pretty old ), but I can't specifically remember degreeing in a Mopar cam ( probably did a few along the way )so I can't comment on their quality. When I have run accross one that was out more than 3-4 degrees, that discrepency often existed from lobe to lobe ( on both the advance and retard side ). Something you can't correct - hence - dump the cam. IMO, there are a lot better grinds out there these days than what Mopar has to offer( more area under the curve without sacrificing driveability ). I'm running one ( flat tappet hydraulic )right now with well over .600" lift that still pulls 10 - 12" vacuum at idle.

Fastest 300
Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! [Re: Crizila] #255014
03/20/09 11:54 AM
03/20/09 11:54 AM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
Quote:

In a previous post on this thread I mentioned that you will rarely find a cam off spec more tham 3-4 degrees and if you do, I suggested dumping the cam rather than trying to correct it.

yup. That's why MP is at the bottom of my list. I've never had Wolverine, Comp, Crane, Engle or UltraDyne that was more than 2°. MPs used to be decent. But about 6 years ago now, I found two that were way off new in the box, and NOT in the same direction... So I stopped using them. You guys are SOOOOooooo old... I do have a few good old guys around to still learn from

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: Just returned from the track....Something is wrong! [Re: moper] #255015
03/20/09 12:33 PM
03/20/09 12:33 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

You guys are SOOOOooooo old...

You'll be surprised on how fast that happens. The alternative to getting old is - - worse!

Fastest 300
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7