S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Originally Posted By BradH
I want to ask a serious question and don't want anyone to take it like I'm making light of the effort or experience: What is it about Drag Week that makes it so difficult, and why is the attrition rate so high? Thanks - Brad

For example. I think it was Tx motorplex to Shreveport. It was maybe 200 mile drive. You think ok this is going to be an easy one. 8 hours of driving in 35 mph zones, traffic, the sun beating on you, fumes, you drank 7 Gatorades and didnt take a leak once. One of the great things about running a g3 hemi now is I dont think all the rockers are lashed at .075.

Wisconsin. Badum, badum, badum, badum, badum, badum, badum...love those concrete roads.

Indian, welcome to whateverville pop 234. Corn. Corn. Corn. Hey look, its corn. How many more miles of this?

Kansas, swallow a bullet immediately

Great...turpike in Chicago.....you look at your sweaty copilot and say...I thought it would be cooler up here...copilot replies, maybe its the 4 million cars

Oklahoma, to your copilot...are we going up a mountain??? Copilot...yes. I didnt know Oklahoma had mountains....well trans is slipping....oh crap...what....now were out of gas....it will give the trans a chance to cool down....good point

WHAT THE .... is that up ahead????!!!!! ROLL UP THE WINDOWS!!!!!! Yep, cow farts

Are we lost? Are we lost now? How far to the checkpoint? Are we lost? When are we turning? When? What? I missed the turn? What? When? Are we lost? When is the next checkpoint? Huh? Say that again? We're effing LOST????!!!

Ohio, I just can't pass this horse and buggy

To fellow Drag Weeker, screaming out the window, ARE YOU OK??? YES, 4.56 gears...fast as I can go....jeeeze

Whats that noise? What noise? Do you hear it? Hear what? Its driving me crazy!!! What is? That noise! What noise?

This is what DW is like

Last edited by sixpackgut; 09/19/18 04:20 PM.

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: cdwmotorsports] #2551980
09/19/18 04:12 PM
09/19/18 04:12 PM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
2018 was my 10th Drag Week, so I have had a lot of opportunity to analyze failures. I built my car largely based upon what I have learned.
Valvetrains with stiff racing springs are a major point of failure.
In my 392 Hemi, I used bushed Isky lifters with full time pressure oiling to the bushing. I tapped into the main oil gallery and ran an oil line to each head to provide full time oil, unrestricted. I have 2 -8 AN drain back lines added to each head, dumping oil into the pan. I use Missle aluminum rockers that are drilled to oil the rollers, the pushrod tips, and the springs. The Missle rockers use bushings on the shafts. Some one in previous years turned a bushing, it blocked the oil hole, and burned up a rocker. So I pinned each bushing with a pair of 4-40 set screws, red locktighted in so the bushings cant turn if they get hot.

I drilled an .020 hole in the rear internal oil gallery plug that sprays a stream of oil on the distributor gear.

Every important fastener on the whole car, except for a few like lug nuts and stuff we take off like exhaust bolts and valve cover bolts is either ny-locked, safety wired, double nutted, or lock tighted.

Electrical gremlins are a big thing. Every connection on my whole car is soldered so nothing can rattle loose. I have extra relays and fuses in the tool box. All wires and lines need to be shielded from exhaust heat.

Make it simple to work on. Nothing should be in the way of your routine tasks. There was a car where they had to take the line lock off the fenderwell to get the valve cover off. That kind of stuff is a no-no.

I use a gm alternator from a late 90's pick up, and a chevy HHR radiator fan. They are in stock at any parts store.

I use an MSD ready to run distributor, wired thru an MSD 6 digital box. If the MSD 6 fails, I have a pigtail in the tool box, that with plugging it in, the car will run off the distributor only, no box. I carry extra cap and rotor.

I have some scary stuff that I took risks on, but am looking at back up plans for next year. Like a Mezziere water pump. If it broke, what would I do? I should probably get a spare. And no spare tire. But I did bring a tube, a patch kit and a compressor.

Last edited by Hemi_Joel; 09/19/18 04:35 PM.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"
Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: sixpackgut] #2551990
09/19/18 05:02 PM
09/19/18 05:02 PM
Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Marion, South Carolina [><]
Originally Posted By sixpackgut
I want to ask a serious question and don't want anyone to take it like I'm making light of the effort or experience: What is it about Drag Week that makes it so difficult, and why is the attrition rate so high? Thanks - Brad

For example. I think it was Tx motorplex to Shreveport. It was maybe 200 mile drive. You think ok this is going to be an easy one. 8 hours of driving in 35 mph zones, traffic, the sun beating on you, fumes, you drank 7 Gatorades and didnt take a leak once. One of the great things about running a g3 hemi now is I dont think all the rockers are lashed at .075.

Wisconsin. Badum, badum, badum, badum, badum, badum, badum...love those concrete roads.

Indian, welcome to whateverville pop 234. Corn. Corn. Corn. Hey look, its corn. How many more miles of this?

Great...turpike in Chicago.....you look at your sweaty copilot and say...I thought it would be cooler up here...copilot replies, maybe its the 4 million cars

Oklahoma, to your copilot...are we going up a mountain??? Copilot...yes. I didnt know Oklahoma had mountains....well trans is slipping....oh crap...what....now were out of gas....it will give the trans a chance to cool down....good point

WHAT THE .... is that up ahead????!!!!! ROLL UP THE WINDOWS!!!!!! Yep, cow farts

Are we lost? Are we lost now? How far to the checkpoint? Are we lost? When are we turning? When? What? I missed the turn? What? When? Are we lost? When is the next checkpoint? Huh? Say that again? We're effing LOST????!!!

To fellow Drag Weeker, screaming out the window, ARE YOU OK??? YES, 4.56 gears...fast as I can go....jeeeze

Whats that noise? What noise? Do you hear it? Hear what? Its driving me crazy!!! What is? That noise! What noise?

This is what DW is like

LOL, that was worth getting on here today to read that!
Sounds pretty much like I always pictured it...taking something that should be fun and making it brutal. No thanks.

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: an8sec70cuda] #2551998
09/19/18 05:24 PM
09/19/18 05:24 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
2 different years my buddy and I had some issues
and this was on a tested ride.. we burnt up a
push rod.. we got super lucky.. we had pulled
over at a exit on the route so there were cars
stopping to see if we needed help.. we had it apart and
were on the phone when a Chevy stopped.. we asked
IF he had a X length or so and he reached behind
his seat and pulled out his BAG of assorted length
lengths of PRs and handed us a couple.. boom he is
gone.. later on we seen him and said thanks.. a
year later we had a rear end that was screaming
at us with 2 tracks to go.. we never feel out
wave

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 09/19/18 05:27 PM.
Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: sixpackgut] #2552016
09/19/18 06:12 PM
09/19/18 06:12 PM
Arizona, USA
gsmopar Offline
super stock
gsmopar  Offline
super stock

Arizona, USA

This is what DW is like

And yes! I would consider this a relaxing break from my daily grind!!! You guys?

Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: gsmopar] #2552020
09/19/18 06:28 PM
09/19/18 06:28 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Your taking it WAY to lightly.. the heat is a BIG
factor
wave

Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: gsmopar] #2552057
09/19/18 08:12 PM
09/19/18 08:12 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Well, from one end of the spectrum...
Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
Sounds pretty much like I always pictured it...taking something that should be fun and making it brutal. No thanks.

... to the other.
Originally Posted By gsmopar
And yes! I would consider this a relaxing break from my daily grind!!! You guys?

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Also, I find everyone's experiences both amusing and... "enlightening" at the same time. whistling

Last edited by BradH; 09/19/18 08:14 PM.
Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: BradH] #2552070
09/19/18 09:07 PM
09/19/18 09:07 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
I am still wanting to do this.....And I know if I hate a 40 mile drive across town in my street car on a hot day, I don't think I can image a +200 mile trip across the state before the next morning in it. Aside from getting time off of work, been wondering what is the best way to tackle this as I contemplate doing it.

As mentioned, the valve train and the heat are big ones, and I got both of those issues...

The lifters I figure I can switch to the non-needle bearing style. I can certainly carry extra push rods...

I figure I have to fully insulate the floor under the carpeting from the fire wall back. I have a really good cooling system, but this +90 summer managed to over tax it now that I switched to a cast iron block...Called meizere and they said switching to the 55gph pump should work well over the nearly 20 year old 35gph pump I currently have. But man, its a lot of engine to risk...

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: Dragula] #2552078
09/19/18 09:46 PM
09/19/18 09:46 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
There is a place that makes a repo or sorts firewall insulation that fits mopars. I used it on a friends car. Its light as a feather. I want to get it for my cuda now.

Maybe detroit muscle is the brand???

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: sixpackgut] #2552097
09/19/18 10:27 PM
09/19/18 10:27 PM
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
D
David_in_St_Croi Offline
top fuel
David_in_St_Croi  Offline
top fuel
D

St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
Sixpackgut's description of Drag Week is right up there with the classic description of offshore sailboat racing: "Like standing fully clothed in an ice cold shower ripping up 100 dollar bills".

This is what DW is like

https://www.facebook.com/THENEWCDRA

Proud member of the liberal scientific elite
Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: cdwmotorsports] #2552105
09/19/18 10:43 PM
09/19/18 10:43 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Originally Posted By cdwmotorsports
Hotels are sold out already, took less than 15 minutes

Look for AirBNB's.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: cdwmotorsports] #2552148
09/20/18 12:03 AM
09/20/18 12:03 AM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
The hotel situation for next year is dumb, there is probably people that don't even have cars, much less running ones that have hotel rooms. Once the reality checks in and they either miss registration or don't want to pony up the $400 entry rooms will open back up.

Rays description is pretty good!

The one thing I never can get used to is the valve train noise. So you lash an engine cold, or hot, whatever your method is. Now drive it for 4-5 hours with the occasional hour on the interstate at 3500RPM getting passed by everyone. I don't know what the lash really is when the oil is water and the entire car including the roll cage is 200* but I know what i sounds like, it sounds like a duramax diesel. So you lose a little sleep at night and wake up at 5:30 the next morning to go lash the valves in the hotel parking lot and then the lash checks out fine.

I love it, it is a good way to get absorbed into drag racing with like minded people. Everywhere you go there is Drag Racers, Hotel, Restaurants, gas stations, drag racers everywhere for 6 days. The overwhelming majority of states I have traveled to have been in my race car, how cool is that? I have also been able to make passes at about a lot of tracks and I have driven in the gate of everyone of them in the car.

Last edited by Bad340fish; 09/20/18 12:08 AM.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
87 "Chrysler" Conquest
Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: Bad340fish] #2552262
09/20/18 11:58 AM
09/20/18 11:58 AM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
340Cuda Offline
master
340Cuda  Offline
master

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally Posted By Bad340fish

Rays description is pretty good!

The one thing I never can get used to is the valve train noise. So you lash an engine cold, or hot, whatever your method is. Now drive it for 4-5 hours with the occasional hour on the interstate at 3500RPM getting passed by everyone. I don't know what the lash really is when the oil is water and the entire car including the roll cage is 200* but I know what i sounds like, it sounds like a duramax diesel. So you lose a little sleep at night and wake up at 5:30 the next morning to go lash the valves in the hotel parking lot and then the lash checks out fine.

I love it, it is a good way to get absorbed into drag racing with like minded people. Everywhere you go there is Drag Racers, Hotel, Restaurants, gas stations, drag racers everywhere for 6 days. The overwhelming majority of states I have traveled to have been in my race car, how cool is that? I have also been able to make passes at about a lot of tracks and I have driven in the gate of everyone of them in the car.
All this and being your son's trunk monkey makes it even more special for me.

I will say that the link they give us to Google Maps for each segment does make navigation a little less stressful.

Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: sixpackgut] #2552275
09/20/18 12:25 PM
09/20/18 12:25 PM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
Ray You're a great writer. Can't wait to read your story after your trip to Spain.
Mike

Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: cdwmotorsports] #2553016
09/21/18 08:07 PM
09/21/18 08:07 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
Lol Ray hit it dead on.

You have engines and transmissions that typically run very short periods at at time. Then you start driving them for 5-6 hours loaded with tools, tires and for a lot of people, a trailer. Cars are hot, seats are not super comfortable and the exhaust is loud. It just grinds on you.

First time is like a damn space walk. In 2012, I remember pulling out of Tulsa a bit terrified thinking "Holy crap, I'm about to drive this thing to Ennis, Tx."

Best thing we did at RMRW this year was to take a minute to trace the route with a highlighter on a paper map. It made navigation MUCH easier.

Last edited by BBR; 09/21/18 08:11 PM.

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: cdwmotorsports] #2553048
09/21/18 09:17 PM
09/21/18 09:17 PM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
BBR you forgot the part of T-Tops on a Mustang leaking every time it rained.LOL

Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: cdwmotorsports] #2553072
09/21/18 10:16 PM
09/21/18 10:16 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
The last 2 years Hot Rod has put the route on Google maps. Open the link, and follow the map to the checkpoint. Simple as that.

One of the best things Joel did on his Coupe, was FULL exhaust to the rear of the car. It only has 2 1/2" exhaust with a set of Turbo mufflers. Joel is basically deaf, yet we could communicate fairly easy. Why run sewer size exhaust if you are taking it off to race? Routed lol the way to the rear ensured we didn't breathe in fumes all week. I could take the entire exhaust system off in about 2 minutes.

With the quiet exhaust, and no need to read a route sheet, I actually fell asleep driving through the Tennessee mountains.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: cdwmotorsports] #2553150
09/22/18 01:59 AM
09/22/18 01:59 AM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
Maps are much better than 2007.LOL

Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: cdwmotorsports] #2560300
10/07/18 12:08 PM
10/07/18 12:08 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Beginner's Guide to Participating in Drag Week 2019

The first thing to remember, if you are truly serious about attending as a competitor, is that not a single person who has shown up for Sunday registration with their car, vehicle registration and tags along with valid insurance, has ever been turned away. Getting a spot in the 400 preregistered cars is NOT the key, showing up is!

Preregistration usually occurs between late February and late April, is announced well ahead of time and takes place on HOTROD.com. The link will pop up on that website at 9:00 AM Pacific on the Saturday they choose. The link will not magically appear if you sit on the website and wait. You have to clear out your cache and all previous cookies, then open that page AFTER the link has been posted.

This part causes the most consternation and frustration, just getting the link to show up on the screen. The best method is to recruit help, and have as many PCs and laptops in the room as you can. Dale had six people in the room last year intent upon registering two people. The big time gamer of the group registered the first in one minute and 5 seconds, the second was registered forty-five seconds later, and one of the six in the room never got the link to open. It took Darren five minutes and forty-five seconds, and his entry number was one of the last given out before people started reporting that it was sold out.

This is a list of the needed information from a few years ago, there are variations now, as you work through the four pages that must be completed.

WHAT YOU NEED TO REGISTER
– Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial
– Street Address, City, State, Postal Code (ZIP), Country
– Email address
– Cell phone number
– Date of Birth (Month/Date/Year)
– Are you the vehicle owner? (Yes/No)
– If no, what is the owner’s name?
– Who will be racing (driving) the vehicle?
– Racer’s Date of Birth (Month/Date/Year)
– Vehicle Year, Make, Model, Color
– Vehicle License Plate State & Number
– Insurance Company Name (not the agent, the company)
– Insurance Policy Number
– 2017 Hot Rod Drag Week Class you anticipate racing in (note that this can be changed on race day)
– Anticipated e.t.
– Credit Card type, number, expiration date, and security code

In the interest of speed, complete accuracy isn't needed on License plate or insurance info, as they will check that stuff at registration, so you can put ABC 123 in those boxes if you have to. The most important part is each box must have something in it before you are allowed to go to the next page.

The most important info is Name, E-mail Address, and Who Will be racing the vehicle. These are the only person or persons who will be able to use this registration, it's non-transferable to anyone else.

Last year there were two small boxes IIRC that tripped some people up and slowed registration, one asked gender, and another was one of those pesky "I agree to terms" boxes.

Several people didn't get in because they tried to use American Express, which is an option on the site, but it was repeatedly rejected, have a Master Card or Visa ready.

So you got in, gave them four hundred bucks, and have your confirmation E-mail printed out! Great, get to work. If you got the dreaded "Sorry, Were Sold Out" screen, you need to immediately send an E-mail to HOT ROD to be put on the wait list. I would suggest having their E-mail address already queued up on your e-mail and be ready to switch to that tab as soon as you finish trying to get in.

Every year, 15 to 25% of preregistered entries don't make it to Drag Week. Ten or fifteen might drop out ahead of time, and alert HOT ROD that they are out. Hot Rod will then notify the first on the wait list, and give them 24 or 48 hours to register or not, then work down the list. So, from my perspective being between 20 and 80 on the wait list is the true catbird seat. You haven't risked four hundred dollars, you most likely won't get a surprise E-mail asking for your money or you will be passed over, and you are practically guaranteed a spot on registration day, so you still need to finish the car, get to work!

More later. Questions? Ask them!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Drag Week 2019 [Re: furious70] #2561349
10/09/18 12:15 PM
10/09/18 12:15 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Originally Posted By furious70
I can tell you I really really wish I had tried to get something together for the years it was at Indy, Union Grove, Byron, Cordova, basically making a circle around Chicago. I didn't, now my dad, who would have been trunk monkey had passed and boohoo.
Make it happen for yourself if you can.

I sat out on the street for two years watching it pass close to my house, only got to do a few days of spectating... frown

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6