08/31/18 07:01 AM
Sweden
71redcuda Offline OP
pro stock
71redcuda  Offline OP
pro stock

Sweden
Hello,

Im planing to get a another hood for my AAR Cuda. The original is very bowed.

Is there anyone that makes OE correct aar hoods today? I want the very best & close to original as possible.

Hood is more bowed on passenger side.

Thanks
Nicklas

20180902_090424.jpg20180902_090607.jpg20180902_090519.jpg20180902_090525.jpg
Last edited by 71redcuda; 09/02/18 05:47 AM.
Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: 71redcuda] #2543737
08/31/18 08:34 AM
08/31/18 08:34 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
They come from the factory that way. The factory bulletin says to remove the hood springs and use a prop rod. The west Texas sun flattened mine out in two days

Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: fastmark] #2543738
08/31/18 08:44 AM
08/31/18 08:44 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
S
Slotts Offline
mopar
Slotts  Offline
mopar
S

Pittsburgh, PA
iagree

That is the answer, Nicklas. Keep the original!

Jim

Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: 71redcuda] #2543762
08/31/18 10:32 AM
08/31/18 10:32 AM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Nicklas, If your hood is original, keep it, even rework it if needed, maybe post a pic of the amount of bow you have so we can look to see if the support structure needs to be broken loose from the underside.
Yes the originals tend to not be a perfect match to the fender contour, largely because resin shrinks as it cures, so the curvature of the hood will close up a little as the resin cures. The support structure helps with this a bit but does not cure it completely. Personally I prefer the look of an AAR with a little bow in the center, its simply a part of these cars.

Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: 71redcuda] #2543768
08/31/18 10:54 AM
08/31/18 10:54 AM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Set the hood down on a pair of 2x4x4 blocks with a hole for the hood pin in the centre of the 4 inch side.

Place a towel of 2 layers over the infected area.

Set a clean big block cylinder head on towel and leave it for at least 5 days.

Repeat if necessary.

Last edited by Dilbert; 08/31/18 10:55 AM.
Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: ThermoQuad] #2544133
09/01/18 04:01 AM
09/01/18 04:01 AM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Originally Posted By Dilbert
Set the hood down on a pair of 2x4x4 blocks with a hole for the hood pin in the centre of the 4 inch side.

Repeat if necessary.

Without knowing the extent of the bow and if the hood may have previously been repaired, there’s no way to say if this will work, but based on my experience this is a long shot. I believe there is a gross underestimate on the role the bonded under support plays and the ability to overcome that stiffening with heat and weight.

Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: 71redcuda] #2544140
09/01/18 06:38 AM
09/01/18 06:38 AM
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Wow...Experience...i have none other than owning several of these cars and helping others since 1980

Are you sure? Have you ever tried this?

How do you know it does not work?

Repairs have nothing to do with the bow in the stock hoods.

Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: ThermoQuad] #2544212
09/01/18 12:16 PM
09/01/18 12:16 PM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Wow...Experience...i have none other than owning several of these cars and helping others since 1980

Are you sure? Have you ever tried this?

How do you know it does not work?

Repairs have nothing to do with the bow in the stock hoods.

A request was made for the OP to post a photo of the hood as it is today, this would help to better understand just how much the hood would need to move. Many an AAR hood suffered the fate of being ripped from its backing structure when someone would forget to install the hood pins, the subsequent repair often leaves these hoods in far worse shape than they would have left the factory.

I've worked pretty extensively with composites of different types and cut my teeth as a tool engineer. Early composites were not well understood, things like CTE, shrink factor and spring-in were not well understood or accounted for in tooling. So the factory hood wasn't as perfect as you may be able to achieve today.

To your point, I have never tried to simply add weight to a hood in an attempt to flatten curvature. I suspect only the smallest of movement will be achieved and the hood will quickly revert to its original shape. That said I would encourage the OP to give your suggestion a try as it is a much easier, less intrusive fix that anyone can perform.

Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: 71redcuda] #2544213
09/01/18 12:17 PM
09/01/18 12:17 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
ASC&P used to make the best repro T/A hoods, not sure if they are still in business; they may have supplied Year One. The originals can be repaired by adding additional stiffening to the internal bracing, longer than the original steel insert. The factory steel insert the hinges bolts to is too short.

Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: Sixpak] #2544229
09/01/18 12:54 PM
09/01/18 12:54 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By Sixpak
ASC&P used to make the best repro T/A hoods, not sure if they are still in business; they may have supplied Year One. The originals can be repaired by adding additional stiffening to the internal bracing, longer than the original steel insert. The factory steel insert the hinges bolts to is too short.

ASC&P is all done, as to where their molds went? someone must know?

I've been "lucky" the last 40 years with my repro T/A hood (Fiberglass Trends) on my Challenger, still nice and flat, and has had the springs on it for 40 years now

Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: DAYCLONA] #2544445
09/01/18 11:13 PM
09/01/18 11:13 PM
SE PA.
Q
QuickBpBp Offline
master
QuickBpBp  Offline
master
Q

SE PA.
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

I am not far from where Barry made those hoods... He also made nice 442 hoods. I get down that way every so often I can ask as I know someone close to him that has a business still near there what actually happened to the molds... The farm he made them at was sold and being developed..

Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: QuickBpBp] #2544456
09/01/18 11:33 PM
09/01/18 11:33 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Originally Posted By QuickBpBp

I am not far from where Barry made those hoods... He also made nice 442 hoods. I get down that way every so often I can ask as I know someone close to him that has a business still near there what actually happened to the molds... The farm he made them at was sold and being developed.

I have one of his hoods. It is well made! Wasn't he a hit Air Balloon guy

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: ThermoQuad] #2544508
09/02/18 04:52 AM
09/02/18 04:52 AM
Sweden
71redcuda Offline OP
pro stock
71redcuda  Offline OP
pro stock

Sweden

Repeat if necessary.

Thanks for the heads up.

And this could work?

Might be worth a shot.. Have you done this on a few aar cars before? Im just afraid of cracking the hood.. the car is nicly restored so i really would like to fix the hood so it matches the rest of the car.. and original is always original.. i have seen NOS hoods for sale that i have considered buying.. but i live in Sweden so shipping is no fun.

I have added a few pics to my first post..

Thanks
Nicklas

Last edited by 71redcuda; 09/02/18 05:48 AM.
Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: 71redcuda] #2544514
09/02/18 07:27 AM
09/02/18 07:27 AM
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

The information i have provided is factual and based on owning an AAR that i brought in 1980 and sold in 2012 that HAD the same warped area on the hood when i bought the car. Many other cars have been repaired with this technical information since 1980. I forgot to mention it works better if the hood car is placed in the hot sun for several hours before applying the "fix". It will not crack the hood! As i recall i wrote a tech article in the All American Racer Magazine regarding these hoods.

You can give us all the mumbo jumbo and more that you have provided Dr Aar#2 but the information i have provided is real world and it works. help sawzall

Last edited by Dilbert; 09/02/18 07:35 AM.
Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: ThermoQuad] #2544609
09/02/18 01:26 PM
09/02/18 01:26 PM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
The information i have provided is factual and based on owning an AAR that i brought in 1980 and sold in 2012 that HAD the same warped area on the hood when i bought the car. Many other cars have been repaired with this technical information since 1980. I forgot to mention it works better if the hood car is placed in the hot sun for several hours before applying the "fix". It will not crack the hood! As i recall i wrote a tech article in the All American Racer Magazine regarding these hoods.

You can give us all the mumbo jumbo and more that you have provided Dr Aar#2 but the information i have provided is real world and it works. help sawzall

Dilbert, thanks for contributing all that “technical” information, I’m certain I can’t provide any value added input.

Since I’m always disappointed when I read threads were disagreements turn into mud slinging matches I’ll choose to bow out and remain a gentlemen.

Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: 71redcuda] #2544651
09/02/18 02:11 PM
09/02/18 02:11 PM
Rust Belt, SW PA
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here
Silver70  Offline
I Live Here

Rust Belt, SW PA
The op asked where to buy a new hood, not how to fix his.

68 Road Runner, 69 Belvedere, 71 Challenger Vert
340 barracuda, 01 Ram CTD, 95 Ram, 04 Ram, 85 Daytona turbo Z
66 GTO, 06 Magnum RT AWD. 07 Ram CTD, 07 Ram
Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: Silver70] #2544666
09/02/18 02:40 PM
09/02/18 02:40 PM
Mechanicsburg, PA
L
LemonTwiist Offline
super stock
LemonTwiist  Offline
super stock
L

Mechanicsburg, PA
If the sun idea and blocks don't work, The idea of opening up the rear of the hood spine where the hood hinges attached has been done before. The idea is to cut the rib open in the back and shove a piece of pipe into the cavity. It stiffens the area and stops the bulging of the hood. There were articles about this technic year ago

Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: Silver70] #2544667
09/02/18 02:41 PM
09/02/18 02:41 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By Silver70

Yes, that's his initial request, but seeing he's in Sweden, shipping costs alone will be phenomenal, either matching or superseding the cost of a hood alone DAMHIK, plus there WAS only one source for a faithful reproduction, and seeing as that he has a "nice" original, other than having that massive bow(s) present, personally I think he should rework the original, it will take an individual knowledgeable in fiberglass repair to properly brace the hood back to the shape desired, cut into the stressed area underneath, insert stiffeners that won't telegraph later on into the surface, and re-glass the whole thing back together, it could be done without disturbing the painted finish...if the right individual is employed

Yeah you could park an elephant on it in the sun for a short term fix, and then turn the car into a vampire, allowing it out only on cool summer nights never to see daylight ever again, but between the spring tension, underhood heat and the memory that fiberglass has taken, surgery IMHO is the only cure

Mike

Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: DAYCLONA] #2544670
09/02/18 02:49 PM
09/02/18 02:49 PM
Sweden
71redcuda Offline OP
pro stock
71redcuda  Offline OP
pro stock

Sweden

Yes, that's his initial request, but seeing he's in Sweden, shipping costs alone will be phenomenal, either matching or superseding the cost of a hood alone DAMHIK, plus there WAS only one source for a faithful reproduction, and seeing as that he has a "nice" original, other than having that massive bow(s) present, personally I think he should rework the original, it will take an individual knowledgeable in fiberglass repair to properly brace the hood back to the shape desired, cut into the stressed area underneath, insert stiffeners that won't telegraph later on into the surface, and re-glass the whole thing back together, it could be done without disturbing the painted finish...if the right individual is employed

Yeah you could park an elephant on it in the sun for a short term fix, and then turn the car into a vampire, allowing it out only on cool summer nights never to see daylight ever again, but between the spring tension, underhood heat and the memory that fiberglass has taken, surgery IMHO is the only cure

Mike

Hi Mike.

Thanks for your input.. the problem is to find a good fiberglass guy that know what he is doing.. not good if the hood gets unusable..

Yes shipping is expensive but biggest problem is shipping damage risk. Im willing to pay whatever it cost to get another hood BUT it must be OE correct.. if that not is possible i think someone have a good business here to start making correct hoods.

Thanks
Nicklas

Re: Bowed AAR Cuda hood.. Where to get a new one.. [Re: 71redcuda] #2544698
09/02/18 03:48 PM
09/02/18 03:48 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By 71redcuda

Mike

Hi Mike.

Thanks for your input.. the problem is to find a good fiberglass guy that know what he is doing.. not good if the hood gets unusable..

Yes shipping is expensive but biggest problem is shipping damage risk. Im willing to pay whatever it cost to get another hood BUT it must be OE correct.. if that not is possible i think someone have a good business here to start making correct hoods.

Thanks
Nicklas

Nicklas,

Sweden has to have plenty of guys that are involved with Fiberglass Boats. One of those guys should be able to fix the hood. Start talking to those guys.

Morty

Page 1 of 2 1 2