Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2534295 - 08/10/18 03:40 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: stumpy]
318 Stroker Online   content

Loc: St. Louis, Mo
Here's my take: As "not a charger" has so eloquently explained, from a legal standpoint they both are at fault. From a common sense standpoint,
vehicle and traffic safety notwithstanding, the following statement comes to mind if I'm the semi driver:

"Pi$$ poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"

The Cutlass driver was a complete DB. Had one clear-cut chance to get in front of the truck, backs off, then decides to play a game of bumper cars with a semi... shock Karma would be if his insurance company sees the video, which they probably will, and says tough luck sucker, we no pay... shruggy

Edited by 318 Stroker (08/10/18 04:01 PM)

#2534315 - 08/10/18 04:18 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: DAYCLONA]
Guitar Jones Offline
master

Loc: in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By jcc
Originally Posted By stumpy
They thing that stands out to me is why did the Cutlass driver keep hitting the truck after the first bang instead of veering to the left to clear the situation.

Fair question, however I wonder if the off unpaved road had a rutted drop off, from numerous other drivers going off road at this merge zone, and the car swerved as he tried to stay off the guard rail?

Without his comments, we are flying blind.

I was surprised there was no visible "merge" signs during the footage we saw on the video, unless I missed it, not that matters much.

I find this vid kind of fascinating, (only because of the GM owners lack of any driving skill) having done many events over the years cross country driving in HotRod Power Tours and other events or Road Rallys, I've found myself in similar tight squeezes like this with either cars or trucks (often at triple digit speeds) I'm just amazed how he's "polishing" his car on the truck, there was plenty of opportunities (esp at their snail pace) for him to maneuver the shoulder without being in the dirt, and/or plenty of road left to slice it in...

If you watch the rear view mirror of the truck, the Olds driver hits the truck initially by actually swerving into him, rebounds off the truck, engages it a second time,rebounds off the truck again, on the third rub swerving into the truck, his fate is sealed as he attempts to motor pass while setting himself up for a pit maneuver, for those still convinced the trucker "sped up" to cut him off; ....the truck (if you block out the 442 in the vid) is maintaining a steady speed increase with flowing traffic, the Olds is surging on/off the throttle, making it appear the truck sped up, just time the vids time with the white lines on the road, it's a steady increase as the truck maintains speed with traffic picking up momentum... the trucker actually backs off throttle just before the Olds gets a "reach around" on the front bumper...

This is exactly correct. For all of you saying the trucker could have avoided this, yeah maybe. The Olds driver had every chance to avoid this though and instead decided to play bumper cars with a semi. He still wins the award for dumbass of the year.

#2534333 - 08/10/18 04:56 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
cudaman1969 Offline
master

Loc: fredericksburg,va
They both get a trophy, a time out-cry room and a kiss from mommy.

#2534348 - 08/10/18 05:40 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: cudaman1969]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mass
Originally Posted By cudaman1969

Both get a trophy, but I'm sure the Olds guy is not only in the "cry closet" over the damage/loss of his car, but you can bet his O lady laid into his ar$e! for putting her nose to nose with a semi, and is in the dog house for a looooooooooooooong time, (women are like elephants, they never forget, and never let YOU forget!) probably the last "hotrod" he'll ever own, and/or the last time she rides shotgun...

#2534379 - 08/10/18 07:15 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
Iowan Offline
super stock

Loc: Lost in Time
Are you saying she had poo in her shorts. lol

"obsolete is neat, the older I get the better I was"

#2534385 - 08/10/18 07:45 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
HotRodDave Offline
master

Loc: Kalispell Mt.
the shoulder is plenty wide enough for the olds to be there and not hit the truck, he is hitting the truck with his right side, I bet the left tire is on the yellow line with another 3 feet to spare to the dirt and the dirt gives him another couple feet for evasive manures. He had a big gap he could have been infront of the truck 10-20 seconds before playing bumper cars. Maybe his passenger looked and told him he had room like on "the hangover".

68 cuda 360 notchback SOLD

1996 Ram 2500 5.9 eddy intake EQ heads, mild cam upgrade great tow rig!

#2534387 - 08/10/18 07:52 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Turn your head and look. Tired of hearing excuses for poor driving

#2534389 - 08/10/18 08:02 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: DAYCLONA]
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By cudaman1969

Both get a trophy, but I'm sure the Olds guy is not only in the "cry closet" over the damage/loss of his car, but you can bet his O lady laid into his ar$e! for putting her nose to nose with a semi, and is in the dog house for a looooooooooooooong time, (women are like elephants, they never forget, and never let YOU forget!) probably the last "hotrod" he'll ever own, and/or the last time she rides shotgun...

For sure! My wife would kill me, she would say F the car and probably me.

#2534391 - 08/10/18 08:13 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: HotRodDave]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By HotRodDave
Maybe his passenger looked and told him he had room like on "the hangover".

The day comes when you have to rely on a women passenger for the A-OK to maneuver you vehicle, time to turn in the man-card and start riding b!tch, lack of side view mirror don't exempt him either, you need to be one with your vehicle, and know your spacial boundaries like second nature...this guy couldn't do it at 30-40 MPH, I could only imagine him attempting this at 100+ mph!...not

#2534408 - 08/10/18 09:36 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
Frankenduster Offline
Moparts proctologist

Loc: Granite Bay CA
The Olds driver was an idiot but the trucker could have taken measures to avoid the whole thing.
Shared blame on this one.

#2534417 - 08/10/18 10:07 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
rocksmopar Offline
mopar

Loc: Chicago
The merging vehicle has to yield to any vehicle in the lane of traffic..
It’s always been that way

Searching for an affordable E-Body

#2534465 - 08/11/18 12:59 AM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
AndyF Offline
Too Many Posts

Loc: Oregon
I had a guy do basically the same thing to me one day when I was in my pickup. It was a little car and he just moved over into my fender and kept hitting my truck like it was bumper cars. I didn't have a dash cam and the guy lied to his insurance about it saying I hit him. But if I had a dash cam it would've been similar to this video. I had almost the same thing happen to me again just a few weeks back where a kid in some little cracker box car just seemed oblivious of the road and he decided to merge into my lane. That time I honked the horn and lifted off the gas. The kid just kept coming and never seemed to even know I was there.

I think in both cases the other drivers were on their phones or had headphones on or something since they didn't seem to have any awareness of where they were.

I wouldn't be surprised that the same thing happened here. The Olds driver appears to be "driving while stupid". He has room to move over, he has room to hit the gas and merge, and he has the ability to hit the brakes and tuck in behind the truck. Instead of those options he goes for the full moron move of trying to rub paint with a semi-truck.

Anyone know what happened in this case. Hopefully the moron in the Olds got reamed by everyone involved. The truck driver probably got in trouble if he was driving for a big company just because he didn't take any evasive action.

#2534571 - 08/11/18 11:43 AM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: AndyF]
moparx Online   content
Dreaming of implants

Loc: north of coder
this reminds me of my sister one time riding shotgun : "it's ok, BUT YA BETTER HURRY !" we still talk about that one ! laugh2
beer

#2534572 - 08/11/18 11:49 AM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: rocksmopar]
jcc Offline
No politics

Loc: Trumussia
Originally Posted By rocksmopar
The merging vehicle has to yield to any vehicle in the lane of traffic..
It’s always been that way

Wiki:
"Governments hold campaigns to promote the late merge method because irritation, aggression and feelings of insecurity easily occur while "zipping". Often drivers who change lanes too early do not like to see other drivers continue until the end of the drop-away lane, even though this late merging is encouraged by the authorities. In Belgium and Germany, a driver can be penalized for not using the late merge method. In Austria only where a traffic sign so indicates."

#2534576 - 08/11/18 11:54 AM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: AndyF]
jcc Offline
No politics

Originally Posted By AndyF

I wouldn't be surprised that the same thing happened here. The Olds driver appears to be "driving while stupid". He has room to move over, he has room to hit the gas and merge, and he has the ability to hit the brakes and tuck in behind the truck. Instead of those options he goes for the full moron move of trying to rub paint with a semi-truck.

Anyone know what happened in this case. Hopefully the moron in the Olds got reamed by everyone involved. The truck driver probably got in trouble if he was driving for a big company just because he didn't take any evasive action.

One angle not yet mentioned, based on the era of the car, and the likely age of the driver, this could be a case of early(?) onset dementia and the guy just needs to give up his license. A significant percentage of us will also be in that same boat in the future someday. Guy might be a billionaire, and have a PHd, and be far from a moron, but his time as driver, maybe over. bawling

#2534580 - 08/11/18 12:00 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: moparx]
jcc Offline
No politics

Originally Posted By moparx
this reminds me of my sister one time riding shotgun : "it's ok, BUT YA BETTER HURRY !" we still talk about that one ! laugh2
beer

One of my first road trips in a Semi decades ago, had me in a small backwater town with on a narrow road with a tight 90 degree turn, asked guy riding shotgun if I was clear as I made the turn, and then contacted the sign with the trailer, I asked him, "I thought you said I was clear?", He answered, "You were until you hit the sign" eyes

There was no damage. laugh2

#2534652 - 08/11/18 03:08 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: jcc]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By jcc
Originally Posted By AndyF

One angle not yet mentioned, based on the era of the car, and the likely age of the driver, this could be a case of early(?) onset dementia and the guy just needs to give up his license. A significant percentage of us will also be in that same boat in the future someday. Guy might be a billionaire, and have a PHd, and be far from a moron, but his time as driver, maybe over. bawling

Agreed, that why every licensed driver age 65 and older should have a yearly road test to renew their license, I've said this before, you fail, you lose your license, I would allow only one "make up" test with a different instructor/tester to avoid any issues, you fail again....get a bus pass

#2534654 - 08/11/18 03:11 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: jcc]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By jcc

One angle not yet mentioned, based on the era of the car, and the likely age of the driver, this could be a case of early(?) onset dementia

I mentioned it, medical condition, which may or may not be age related.

#2534838 - 08/11/18 09:25 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: Supercuda]
jcc Offline
No politics

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Originally Posted By jcc

One angle not yet mentioned, based on the era of the car, and the likely age of the driver, this could be a case of early(?) onset dementia

I mentioned it, medical condition, which may or may not be age related.

I followed a Semi for 20 miles on a busy two lane road mid morning, he ran off the road 1/2 doz times, hauling butt, approached him on foot at the first stop light after I pulled up behind him, he said he was diabetic, and drove off when light turned green, flagged down a deputy, he said there was nothing he could do. His driving was on my dash cam.Oh Well.

In this case, CDL should have been accident tested at least for illegal drugs/alcohol while we are on the medical train.

Edited by jcc (08/11/18 09:30 PM)

#2535089 - 08/12/18 12:52 PM Re: Who was in the wrong? [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
Soopernaut Offline
top fuel

Loc: Des Moines IA
What state was this in? I'm sure the laws are clearly printed for that state.

Here is what a MN state trooper says:

Quote:
Motorists have the right of way for the lane they are in, said Sgt. Jesse Grabow of the Minnesota State Patrol. Those changing lanes need to “yield the right of way” for traffic already in line, he said. Drivers should not have to take evasive action because somebody decides to change lanes at the last second,

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,425 Registered Members
32 Forums
191,754 Topics
2,236,637 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
2001 V-10 transmission ?
by moparx
08/14/18 10:02 AM