E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

We do not accept payment until AFTER the alternator or starter has be received by the sender and he/she is 100% satisfied with the work.

Jim,
Be careful doing business like this! You might find that MANY of your unknown patrons “conveniently” have a problem with “something” concerning your work and you end up with an epidemic of working for free!

Re: Alternator and starter restoration [Re: ECS] #252705
03/23/09 01:47 PM
03/23/09 01:47 PM
SC
Cooda Offline
mopar
Cooda  Offline
mopar

SC
This Jim guy seems like one heck of a nice guy.

Last edited by cooda; 03/23/09 01:48 PM.
Re: Alternator and starter restoration [Re: Cooda] #252706
03/23/09 03:25 PM
03/23/09 03:25 PM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
"Jim,
Be careful doing business like this! You might find that MANY of your unknown patrons “conveniently” have a problem with “something” concerning your work and you end up with an epidemic of working for free! "

I agree. There is nothing wrong with receiving payment with the part.
Your reputation will work for you and you are the type of guy that will always work something out if a problem arises.
You can always send a refund.
Jules

Re: Alternator and starter restoration [Re: 70RT] #252707
03/23/09 08:04 PM
03/23/09 08:04 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Quote:

Thanks much Dave! With all the discount points you're racking up, I may have to pay you for restoring your next one
Nitrousn - I suffered through disappointments and rip-off artists all during the 10-year restoration odyssey of my Challenger R/T. So I’m trying to make certain I don’t do that to anyone else. Dixie Restorations may not be able to satisfy everybody, but it won't cost them a dime if we can't.

My last order from Dixie Parts was a good deal and transaction. Your philosophy of being up front will go a long way to a strong buisness with a good name.. I wish all vendors worked that way as I to have had a few not so good experiences.

Re: Alternator and starter restoration [Re: JulesdaWiperman] #252708
03/23/09 08:59 PM
03/23/09 08:59 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

I agree. There is nothing wrong with receiving payment with the part.
Your reputation will work for you....

Hey Jules,
I had a few folks question (on the phone this afternoon) my comment about compensation and business practices. I wasn’t sure why!? Are there ANY businesses out there that provide a service or product without some form of compensation? When was the last time anyone walked into MacDonald’s, ordered their meal and walked out without paying? When you go to Wal-Mart or any other retail establishment, can you leave with the merchandise and tell them you will come back later to settle up? I went to pickup a “carry out” food order from an Outback restaurant. I didn’t get to leave with the food without paying for it! I also picked up some auto paint from my paint jobber. Same drill!! I paid before I was able to walk away with the product. Try calling Year One, National Parts Depot or any other restoration house and see if you can get your parts shipped without paying for the parts. What businesses are people referring to where you can walk out with a product and have the leisure of coming back later to tell whether or not you intend to pay?

Re: Alternator and starter restoration [Re: ECS] #252709
03/24/09 07:41 AM
03/24/09 07:41 AM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Does not exist Dave.
It is the correct way of doing things simply because the business is in business to provide the service or part
so paying ahead of time will not make the business decide to opt out of providing the part.The chances are greater
that something may go wrong from the clients side simply because he is an individual and does not have a business
reputation at stake. It will still boil down to doing your homework when dealing with any business. If the feedback is good then
there is no danger in paying up front. IMO Jim is being too giving. Like you said Dave, he is risking at some point to
end up working for free.
Jules

Re: Alternator and starter restoration [Re: JulesdaWiperman] #252710
03/24/09 09:02 AM
03/24/09 09:02 AM
70RT Offline
mopar
70RT  Offline
mopar

Hey guys, I'll wade into the swamp with you. Jules is absolutely correct, sooner or later, we'll get stuck. Is it worth it to Dixie to take a chance? Yea, I think it is. Our entire business is based on trust. In the beginning I had a few folks who took a substantial risk to box up a valuable core or cores and trust that we were going to do what we said we would. We promised their alternator and starter would be properly restored and guaranteed it would work as originally intended. So far, only one client has refused his restored piece and Dixie paid his core fee from a competitor. After the fact, we found out it was timing issue with the customer not a quality issue with the restoration. Dave, ECS sells a defined product, be it d/cd glass or tire pressure decals. Folks look in the catalog, and order what they see. Apples and oranges, I guess. Jules, your business has served as a model for Dixie b/c of the outstanding value and quality of service you provide. I certainly don't fault anyone for asking for the money up front. Makes perfect sense and is reasonable. For the immediate future we'll stick with collecting after the fact and hopefully continue to grow the trust that y'all have already earned!

Re: Alternator and starter restoration [Re: 70RT] #252711
03/24/09 10:18 AM
03/24/09 10:18 AM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Jim,
and that is why there is more than one way to getting things done.
This will work for you and not for me. As long as both you and your client
are satisfied then all is well. The end result is what counts.
You're on the right track with a great product and service.
Thanks for the kind words.
I wish you much success.
Jules

Re: Alternator and starter restoration [Re: 70RT] #252712
03/24/09 11:24 AM
03/24/09 11:24 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

Folks look in the catalog, and order what they see. Apples and oranges, I guess.

Hello Jim,
I certainly am not trying to advise or tell anyone how to run their business. I have known you for a long time and was making a comment to a respected business person and friend. As far as apples and oranges, I don’t think so. You also offer a unique and premier product and service. So does ECS! I have found that over the years, if you leave a loophole or opportunity for a “breach”, it will absolutely be exploited. I have had some of the most “honest” folks take the low road when given the opportunity. You restore 10 units and it only takes one or two “opportunist” to eat up the working profit that was made from the other ethical patrons. You set yourself up for, “The metal doesn’t look just like the originals I have seen“, or “your orange inspection paint isn’t quite the correct color“, or “I didn’t like the way you shipped it“….. Just be ready for any excuse why someone will not pay or try and dwindle down your advertised cost. You have definitely left the door open for “self” minded customers! (Did I state that politically correct enough?) It can kill a small business before it ever has the chance to get started.

Re: Alternator and starter restoration [Re: ECS] #252713
03/24/09 01:25 PM
03/24/09 01:25 PM
70RT Offline
mopar
70RT  Offline
mopar

Dave you know what a tremendous fan I am of what you and Steve have accomplished in the restoration arena. And, ECS is a company that has raised the bar for all of us. Your advice is always appreciated and respected. Don't worry about being PC - that's what got this great Nation of ours in the sinkhole it's in today!

Page 2 of 2 1 2