06/19/18 11:15 PM
06/19/18 11:15 PM
Florida
S
Spartan040 Offline OP
Spartan040  Offline OP
S

Florida
Hey everyone, been a long while since I've been around here. Life got in the way but I'm a lot closer now to being able to buy a '70-'71 Challenger and start my build.

My goal is to make a resto mod/pro touring car that can handle very well (I intend to take it to some track events) and still give me a good ride for cruising or going around town every now and then.

I've mostly been considering what suspension setup to go with. I'm looking mostly at the Hotchkis TVS with their single adjustable shocks, a Heidts universal IRS in back, and a US Car Tool stage 3 chassis stiffening kit. But, I know there are coilover setups like the AlterKtion and there are completely new aftermarket chassis like the G-Machine, although that one requires more work to install than I really want to put in.

I'm led to believe that the Hotchkis setup generally does better with handling for less money than the coilovers, but I'm curious about how the ride quality differs between the two, and about how adjustable the coilovers are between a soft and hard ride.

Other elements of my build:

440/512 stroker, aluminum block and heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 XT fuel injection

TCI 6X automatic transmission OR Silver Sport A41 Perfect Fit Kit

Borgeson Power Steering Box

Another thing I've been considering is weight distribution. I know the original all-iron big block E-bodies were extremely front-heavy, and this engine I've speced out should weigh around 430-475, which shaves over 200 pounds off the front. What else can be done in aiding weight distribution to get closer to 50-50?

Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: Spartan040] #2510603
06/20/18 12:10 AM
06/20/18 12:10 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted By Spartan040

My goal is to make a resto mod/pro touring car that can handle very well (I intend to take it to some track events) and still give me a good ride for cruising or going around town every now and then.

I've mostly been considering what suspension setup to go with. I'm looking mostly at the Hotchkis TVS with their single adjustable shocks, a Heidts universal IRS in back, and a US Car Tool stage 3 chassis stiffening kit. But, I know there are coilover setups like the AlterKtion and there are completely new aftermarket chassis like the G-Machine, although that one requires more work to install than I really want to put in.

IMO the Heidt's is outdated, the Morrison is the current flavor of the month in aftermarket IRS.IMo, its neat, impressive, pricey, not reversible, and poor bang for buck.

I'm led to believe that the Hotchkis setup generally does better with handling for less money than the coilovers, but I'm curious about how the ride quality differs between the two, and about how adjustable the coilovers are between a soft and hard ride.

Coilovers are mainly for header additional clearance, and maybe a better rate selection for really fine wheel rate tuning. Big TB are fine and best bang for buck, and take little effort.

440/512 stroker, aluminum block and heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 XT fuel injection

Not sure if I classify an auto as ever as a serious track car. A stout big block auto will almost never be able to put down its torque to the pavement, beside the F/R issues. You would be much better off with a hot stroker SB

Another thing I've been considering is weight distribution. I know the original all-iron big block E-bodies were extremely front-heavy, and this engine I've speced out should weigh around 430-475, which shaves over 200 pounds off the front. What else can be done in aiding weight distribution to get closer to 50-50?

Your best improvement of the car is simply the one thing in all these threads overlooked, maximize your seat time. It will overcome anything mentioned above. The deeper you go into the mods you are touching on above, the more money you will spend, the less forgiving/touchy the car will become, the less seat time you will have, the older you will get, and the better chance you have of life once again changing your direction/focus.

My suggestion:
Buy a used stroker running drop in SB w/alum heads
Get a Passon 5 spd or T-56
Big TB's
Composite Leafs
Big Anti front bolt on Roll bar
Aftermarket UCA's to help with alignment goals
13" and up front discs
17" and up wheels Square
tires nothing smaller then 275's
Frame connectors welded
A good drivers seat and belts
Multiple Front spoilers (cheap, they don't like off track excursions)
Fiberglass lift off hood
Battery to rear
Everything above is proven, cost effective, resalable, and helps get you on the track promptly, compared to your initial goals.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: Spartan040] #2510607
06/20/18 12:23 AM
06/20/18 12:23 AM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
hopefully mitch and Brads70 will chime in, they both have taken their challengers to the next level

Last edited by dangina; 06/20/18 12:24 AM.
Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: jcc] #2510715
06/20/18 11:10 AM
06/20/18 11:10 AM
Florida
S
Spartan040 Offline OP
Spartan040  Offline OP
S

Florida
Originally Posted By jcc

IMO the Heidt's is outdated, the Morrison is the current flavor of the month in aftermarket IRS.IMo, its neat, impressive, pricey, not reversible, and poor bang for buck.

Coilovers are mainly for header additional clearance, and maybe a better rate selection for really fine wheel rate tuning. Big TB are fine and best bang for buck, and take little effort.

Not sure if I classify an auto as ever as a serious track car. A stout big block auto will almost never be able to put down its torque to the pavement, beside the F/R issues. You would be much better off with a hot stroker SB

Your best improvement of the car is simply the one thing in all these threads overlooked, maximize your seat time. It will overcome anything mentioned above. The deeper you go into the mods you are touching on above, the more money you will spend, the less forgiving/touchy the car will become, the less seat time you will have, the older you will get, and the better chance you have of life once again changing your direction/focus.

My suggestion:
Buy a used stroker running drop in SB w/alum heads
Get a Passon 5 spd or T-56
Big TB's
Composite Leafs
Big Anti front bolt on Roll bar
Aftermarket UCA's to help with alignment goals
13" and up front discs
17" and up wheels Square
tires nothing smaller then 275's
Frame connectors welded
A good drivers seat and belts
Multiple Front spoilers (cheap, they don't like off track excursions)
Fiberglass lift off hood
Battery to rear
Everything above is proven, cost effective, resalable, and helps get you on the track promptly, compared to your initial goals.

I really do not like driving stick. I just find it inconvenient, so I'm keeping with the auto. The TCI has available wireless paddle shifters if I need that much control on the track. Call it sacrilege if you like, I just hate stick even though I know how to drive stick.

Why do you say a big block auto will never be able to put its torque down? Doesn't that depend on the rear gears? I've seen a Hellcat swapped '70 Challenger putting all 650 pound feet of torque down (of course it was using the modern 8 speed auto), that's a similar torque number to what I'm looking at.

Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: Spartan040] #2510719
06/20/18 11:16 AM
06/20/18 11:16 AM
Mountain View, CA
68rrunner Offline
enthusiast
68rrunner  Offline
enthusiast

Mountain View, CA
Someone needs to get a controller together for the new 8 speed auto. It's pure sex.

Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: Spartan040] #2510723
06/20/18 11:20 AM
06/20/18 11:20 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours

Why do you say a big block auto will never be able to put its torque down? Doesn't that depend on the rear gears? I've seen a Hellcat swapped '70 Challenger putting all 650 pound feet of torque down (of course it was using the modern 8 speed auto), that's a similar torque number to what I'm looking at.

Because odds are real good you will never get the traction you need to put the torque to the pavement. You'll just end up blowing the tires off. You are only as fast as your traction.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: 68rrunner] #2510737
06/20/18 11:55 AM
06/20/18 11:55 AM
Florida
S
Spartan040 Offline OP
Spartan040  Offline OP
S

Florida
Originally Posted By 68rrunner
Someone needs to get a controller together for the new 8 speed auto. It's pure sex.

Agreed. And some way to hook it up to the old big blocks too. Although, since the 3rd gen Hemi and LA small block share a bolt pattern...maybe that's an argument in favor of the small block stroker provided someone comes up with a controller for the 8 speed.

Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: Supercuda] #2510739
06/20/18 11:59 AM
06/20/18 11:59 AM
Florida
S
Spartan040 Offline OP
Spartan040  Offline OP
S

Florida
Originally Posted By Supercuda

Because odds are real good you will never get the traction you need to put the torque to the pavement. You'll just end up blowing the tires off. You are only as fast as your traction.

I'm only planning to be making around 575-625 horses and probably similar torque. I may not even do the stroker part of it if it's going to be too much power. And the US Car Tool kit comes with mini wheel tubs so I hope to be able to fit a 10-11" wide wheel with at least 305 tires. Probably something like Michelin SP2's or Continental Extreme Contacts for street and road courses, and I'll pick up some slicks at some point for drag.

Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: Spartan040] #2510755
06/20/18 12:21 PM
06/20/18 12:21 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Need at least 275’s up front.

It seems above 550/550 hp/TQ and capable suspension system, you start running out of chassis and need to start thinking about a full cage to tie the front and rear together.

Others thoughts on this?

Driving instructor Bob Reed had a stroker A-body without cage with a little less hp/tq than the Red Brick 68 Valiant (~550/550) with full cage. He’s driven the Red Brick on track. He felt the cage made a huge difference at that level. And that the approaching the level of the red brick without a cage was sort of futile.

Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: autoxcuda] #2510776
06/20/18 12:59 PM
06/20/18 12:59 PM
Florida
S
Spartan040 Offline OP
Spartan040  Offline OP
S

Florida
Originally Posted By autoxcuda

It seems above 550/550 hp/TQ and capable suspension system, you start running out of chassis and need to start thinking about a full cage to tie the front and rear together.

Others thoughts on this?

Driving instructor Bob Reed had a stroker A-body without cage with a little less hp/tq than the Red Brick 68 Valiant (~550/550) with full cage. He’s driven the Red Brick on track. He felt the cage made a huge difference at that level. And that the approaching the level of the red brick without a cage was sort of futile.

The A body is a lot smaller than an E-body, perhaps the E-body's threshold is larger especially with chassis stiffening?

Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: Spartan040] #2510789
06/20/18 01:17 PM
06/20/18 01:17 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Moment of inertia works against larger platforms compared to smaller, all else being equal.

Don't be the exception.
Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: Supercuda] #2510806
06/20/18 01:53 PM
06/20/18 01:53 PM
Florida
S
Spartan040 Offline OP
Spartan040  Offline OP
S

Florida
Originally Posted By Supercuda
Moment of inertia works against larger platforms compared to smaller, all else being equal.

What do you mean by "moment of inertia?"

Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: Spartan040] #2510809
06/20/18 02:01 PM
06/20/18 02:01 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Moment of inertia
The moment of inertia, otherwise known as the angular mass or rotational inertia, of a rigid body determines the torque needed for a desired angular acceleration about a rotational axis. It depends on the body's mass distribution and the axis chosen, with larger moments requiring more torque to change the body's rotation.

Don't be the exception.
Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: Spartan040] #2510810
06/20/18 02:06 PM
06/20/18 02:06 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
IOW heavier objects are harder to start and stop turning than lighter ones.

Then there is what is called polar moment of inertia, which is where the weight is located. Using a barbell as an example, it is easier to turn a 100lb barbell when the weight is in the center of the bar than with the weight at the ends. Which is why a midengined car turns easier than a similar over all weight front engined car. the closer you can concentrate your weight at the CG the easier it is to turn.

Don't be the exception.
Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: Spartan040] #2510814
06/20/18 02:10 PM
06/20/18 02:10 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Originally Posted By autoxcuda

Others thoughts on this?

The A body is a lot smaller than an E-body, perhaps the E-body's threshold is larger especially with chassis stiffening?

No. Not really

A, B, and E have very similar chassis design. A same era Camaro or Chevelle will have the same issues.

But it’s really the cornering grip that’s achievable with good tires and modified stock suspension. The cage really ties the front and rear together. Frame connectors are just flat. No bridge/space frame effect.

And 550 hp is a lot. I think we take that for granted nowadays.

Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: Spartan040] #2510832
06/20/18 02:28 PM
06/20/18 02:28 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
moment of inertia...think of your car like a barbell. The closer the weight is to center, the easier it is to manage transitions. B and E bodies are larger, so even achieving 50/50 on them means their moment of inertia will always be greater than an A body. In competition, this is critical. For open track days and fun driving, much less so.

You goal of a good handling car with decent road manners is certainly achievable. Budget is a big variable. With all you engine work, it does lean towards a higher end budget, but it doesn't have to be. Do you have a target you are after here or is the sky the limit? Are you planning on competing or is this a fun day car? If competing, are there any rules constraints to the system such as NASA Time Trials or SCCA classes or is this an unlimited, run against the big guys of the sport effort?

IMO, the biggest advantage of the coil over systems is limited to a few items;
*rates from 200-2000 are easily available. This is paramount if you compete at multiple tracks that necessitate different rates. As a weekend warrior, this is much less to a non issue level of critical.
*low cost for rates changes. coil over springs are dirt cheap compared to t-bars and leafs. important for the above factor.
*potential space and weight savings. they obviously are more compact and lighter.
*potential adjustment range. This is a big MAYBE as most of the coil over systems out there have modified geometry that improves on the mopar achilles heel of caster/camber interdependance, but very very few allow a range of adjustment other than height, which a stock mopar can already do.

Shock control of suspension motion is the key to a good riding and performing suspension. Shocks are to suspension like camshafts are to engines - they determine everything about the manners and operating range. Cheaping out here can make a good system a dog and great shocks can make an average system feel superior. This allows much higher spring rates to be controlled to a degree that makes them more comfortable than their gross rates would lead you to believe.

The Hotchkis system can make a very capable fun car with all around usage and give you a baseline to build from. The price of entry here is not outragous and if you decided to move beyond that in the future, you could certainly unload the system easily.

If cost is not an option, a complete analysis and then following the suggested changes from Ron Sutton through any of his systems is probably the pinnacle of pro touring as a genre.
http://www.ronsutton-racetechnology.com/

If budget isn't a big concern but you are a do it yourself guys and want to be intimate with the fabrication, Dobbertin Performance is probably the cutting edge of adapting Corvette suspension systems, including IRS, to any chassis configuration.
http://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance

if ultimate adjustability is the goal, then an air system may be the best all around system that will handle well, cruise well, and can be adjusted from inside the car. These typically are outlawed by all sanctioning bodies for racing, but if sanctioned competition isn't on the agenda, then no loss.
https://www.ridetech.com/applications/musclecars/

So, what does "track events" mean to you, how are you approaching it, what is your budget? Knowing that. we can better dial you in.

Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: TC@HP2] #2510854
06/20/18 03:24 PM
06/20/18 03:24 PM
Florida
S
Spartan040 Offline OP
Spartan040  Offline OP
S

Florida
Originally Posted By TC@HP2
moment of inertia...think of your car like a barbell. The closer the weight is to center, the easier it is to manage transitions. B and E bodies are larger, so even achieving 50/50 on them means their moment of inertia will always be greater than an A body. In competition, this is critical. For open track days and fun driving, much less so.

You goal of a good handling car with decent road manners is certainly achievable. Budget is a big variable. With all you engine work, it does lean towards a higher end budget, but it doesn't have to be. Do you have a target you are after here or is the sky the limit? Are you planning on competing or is this a fun day car? If competing, are there any rules constraints to the system such as NASA Time Trials or SCCA classes or is this an unlimited, run against the big guys of the sport effort?

IMO, the biggest advantage of the coil over systems is limited to a few items;
*rates from 200-2000 are easily available. This is paramount if you compete at multiple tracks that necessitate different rates. As a weekend warrior, this is much less to a non issue level of critical.
*low cost for rates changes. coil over springs are dirt cheap compared to t-bars and leafs. important for the above factor.
*potential space and weight savings. they obviously are more compact and lighter.
*potential adjustment range. This is a big MAYBE as most of the coil over systems out there have modified geometry that improves on the mopar achilles heel of caster/camber interdependance, but very very few allow a range of adjustment other than height, which a stock mopar can already do.

Shock control of suspension motion is the key to a good riding and performing suspension. Shocks are to suspension like camshafts are to engines - they determine everything about the manners and operating range. Cheaping out here can make a good system a dog and great shocks can make an average system feel superior. This allows much higher spring rates to be controlled to a degree that makes them more comfortable than their gross rates would lead you to believe.

The Hotchkis system can make a very capable fun car with all around usage and give you a baseline to build from. The price of entry here is not outragous and if you decided to move beyond that in the future, you could certainly unload the system easily.

If cost is not an option, a complete analysis and then following the suggested changes from Ron Sutton through any of his systems is probably the pinnacle of pro touring as a genre.
http://www.ronsutton-racetechnology.com/

If budget isn't a big concern but you are a do it yourself guys and want to be intimate with the fabrication, Dobbertin Performance is probably the cutting edge of adapting Corvette suspension systems, including IRS, to any chassis configuration.
http://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance

if ultimate adjustability is the goal, then an air system may be the best all around system that will handle well, cruise well, and can be adjusted from inside the car. These typically are outlawed by all sanctioning bodies for racing, but if sanctioned competition isn't on the agenda, then no loss.
https://www.ridetech.com/applications/musclecars/

So, what does "track events" mean to you, how are you approaching it, what is your budget? Knowing that. we can better dial you in.

Gotcha, makes sense. I don't currently have plans to do any formally sanctioned competition, I just want to occasionally bring it to some local autocross or road course events. And I just think it'd be really fun and cool to push one of the old cars to the limits, see what's possible. I'm setting the budget for the entire build (not including the car) fairly high, somewhere around 50k (assuming I get a good solid body to work with). I'm intending it to be a fairly long term project, but I'm about to graduate college in a year and I'll be commissioning into the Air Force as a lieutenant afterwards. So I'll be making fairly good money (and getting very rapid raises in the first 5 years) and living very simply, I'm also single with no kids. I ran the numbers and I'll still have 10-15 grand a year left over after expenses and contributing to my retirement account.

I like the idea of having that adjustability and saving an extra 100-150 pounds in the front end. The only downsides I see are cost, more difficult installation, and it doesnt look stock. But I'm curious about how the rack and pinion's handling characteristics differs from something like a Hotchkis setup. Obviously both will be a lot tighter with less slop, but how do the turning radiuses compare? How does the steering responsiveness and feedback differ? I've also heard that the long term longevity of something like an AlterKtion isn't as good as the Hotchkis?

I've never been a big fan of air systems, but I'll definitely take a look at the other two links. Thanks!

Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: dangina] #2510875
06/20/18 03:56 PM
06/20/18 03:56 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted By dangina
hopefully mitch and Brads70 will chime in, they both have taken their challengers to the next level

Also be interesting to hear what member RylisPro wants to add to this discussion.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: jcc] #2510878
06/20/18 04:06 PM
06/20/18 04:06 PM
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal
I don't know anything about challengers haha!

73 `Cuda
Instagram: @rylispro
YouTube: RylisPro
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Re: How to achieve my build goals for handling? [Re: Spartan040] #2510886
06/20/18 04:18 PM
06/20/18 04:18 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
I think what JCC talked about above will get you there

Some ideas on specifics:
(There’s more than one way to get to the same place)

1.08-1.12” Tbars
Fox or Viking double adjustable shocks
Tubular front sway bar ~1.25”
Adjustable rear sway bar. Ability to disconnect for track days but use for autocross.
Hotchkis rear springs
Tubular upper a-arms with poly bushings (for ride quality and longevity)
Adjustable strut rods with poly bushing (for ride quality and longevity)
Stock 11/16 tie rod ends
Borgenson steering box
275/35/18 front tires or wider. The 315 square setup Ariel has without big flaring would be the ultimate. Read Here: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post2287275
13” x 1” or thicker front disk with fixed strong calipers
You’ll need a Milodon road race pan for the potential cornering loads/G’s on a track.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 06/20/18 04:56 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2