Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2508187 - 06/13/18 09:23 PM What are you paying for powdercoat services?
Vert Offline

Loc: Annapolis, MD, USA
I'm in MD, south of Baltimore.
Got an estimate of $325 for a k-frame.
And $375 to strip and re-ceramic some ceramic chrome headers.

#2508203 - 06/13/18 09:39 PM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: Vert]
JAMESDART Offline
mopar

Loc: nj
Headers are expensive to have done. I had 2 sets done at 2 different places. I had k frame sand blasted and coated for 80 or 100. I dropped off my front end stuff and the headers.

#2508289 - 06/14/18 08:02 AM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: JAMESDART]
Vert Offline

I need to shop around more. I think the local guy is way high on the k-frame. Headers I can see as they have to blast all the old ceramic off.

Edited by Vert (06/14/18 08:02 AM)

#2508306 - 06/14/18 08:36 AM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: Vert]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Marion, South Carolina [><]
$125 to do my Barton intake...needed cleaning/blasting before too. Came out great!

Attachments
coated.jpeg

'69 road runner 440-6, 4 speed...Dad's ride
'71 Demon 340 resto project
'01 Ram 2500 QCSB 4x4 Cummins...toy hauler
'16 Grand Caravan SXT...baby hauler

#2508436 - 06/14/18 01:18 PM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: Vert]
wylde8 Offline
top fuel

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Around here, I imagine a K-frame would cost $200-$300 if done in chassis black.

Edited by wylde8 (06/15/18 01:29 PM)

At Moparts, the concensus is there is no consensus.

#2508476 - 06/14/18 03:04 PM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: wylde8]
Neil Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Eagle, Idaho
Powder coating is about the same as having something painted with nice paint. Biggest drawback to powder coating is the color selection is weaker.

#2508514 - 06/14/18 04:42 PM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: Vert]
NANKET Offline
master

Loc: northwest USA
Biggest are: No coating in tight areas, no coating on sharp edges, flat parts looking rounded because of building up of coating, cracking off around bolt holes, discolored from chemicals spilled on it. Usually because the guy is not good at his job.

Powder coating is the lazy way out. Drop it off and let them clean, blast, and coat it, write a check and Install it.

I still like to paint everything with catalyzed auto paints. No explaining what I want done, no waiting around for them to complete job. No excuses.

#2508602 - 06/14/18 08:51 PM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: Vert]
Vert Offline

Another vendor said $275 if its ready to shoot. Plus $125/hr if they need to sandblast it. Wonder what they pay that guy to operate baster?

#2508627 - 06/14/18 09:49 PM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: Vert]
135sohc Offline
mopar

Loc: SoMd, USA
Originally Posted By Vert
Another vendor said $275 if its ready to shoot. Plus $125/hr if they need to sandblast it. Wonder what they pay that guy to operate baster?

The operator, blasting media, nozzle tips, a lot of electricity to run the big air compressor ect...

#2508630 - 06/14/18 09:54 PM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: Vert]
JAMESDART Offline
mopar

Loc: nj
Every time I got a price to powder coat in the past I'd like to fall over backwards. I stuck to spraying with rust oleum oil base or tractor paint with the hardener. Stuff looks
Ok, holds up pretty good. Then bought a gallon of that rat rod urethane and have been using that. It seems super tough, and comes out great.
I'm into bikes and I had bike frame to paint. I had primer paint and clear. I spent an entire day, sand blast, prime, paint, and clear. It came out nice but I had to think man a whole day for that... should have just had it pc.
With my k frame and stuff I had paint but I wanted to keep going with the car but it
Was middle of winter. So I just had the stuff done. I'm not sold on it, probably just keep painting everything rat rod black. Now a bike frame in color, I'm thinking it's
Not worth buying different color paint for that I can just have it done in pc as long as he has a color I like.

#2508683 - 06/14/18 11:50 PM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: JAMESDART]
70Challengerse Offline
master

Loc: Lebanon ,PA in the Susquehanna...
Had my k-frame done blasted and powder coated satin / semi gloss for about 125.00 and very nice.... shruggy

70 Dodge Challenger se 440
71 Dodge Demon 416
71 V-Code Cuda
2016 Scatpak
Sometime words can serve me well,sometimes words can go to HELL... Harry Chapin

#2509234 - 06/16/18 04:23 AM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: 135sohc]
PhillyRag Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Phila
Plus the cost to heat up larger items to 400+deg. Be it electricity or gas.

#2509245 - 06/16/18 07:36 AM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: Vert]
RTSE4ME Offline
top fuel

Loc: MD
I had a place in Beltsville coat some newly made headers and they charged $300. Most places are going to be around that range for headers.

#2509283 - 06/16/18 10:07 AM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: Vert]
71charger Offline
top fuel

Loc: Frederick, MD
I took the rear seat pans from my '55 Plymouth wagon to the local powder coater. He said $600. I brought them home and coated them with rustoleum/POR-15. I would like to find someone in the region that's more reasonably priced. I've been told there's a shop near Martinsburg that does good work for reasonable prices but I don't have their info.

#2509314 - 06/16/18 11:05 AM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: Vert]
MidPenMopar Offline
Looking for fun? Keep looking

Loc: South San Francisco, Californi...
Originally Posted By Vert
I'm in MD, south of Baltimore.
Got an estimate of $325 for a k-frame.
And $375 to strip and re-ceramic some ceramic chrome headers.

We have a great powdercoater in my local area and he is pretty reasonable. I got the top of my air grabber stripped and powder coated for $20. I did use an instock color "Industrial orange" instead of the special chrysler orange, but no one has ever noticed. My old TTI headers were $200 for Jet Hot coating inside and out.

Stu

Check out our MPM Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/122972991051550/

#2510206 - 06/18/18 09:14 PM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: Vert]
Vert Offline

Anybody tried the Eastwood 2K Ceramic chassis black aerosol? Its that stuff with the catalyst you puncture when you start to paint. Saw it mentioned in new Mopar Muscle article.

#2510328 - 06/19/18 09:21 AM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: Vert]
RTSE4ME Offline
top fuel

Loc: MD
I painted my race car chassis with it but I used a spray gun. It seems to be holding up really well. For $50 can't complain since powder coating was around $2k.

Attachments
inside2.jpg

#2510546 - 06/19/18 08:13 PM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: RTSE4ME]
peabodyracing Offline
top fuel

Loc: Minnesota
Guys, I have to chime in here as I ran a commercial powder coating plant for nearly 20 years. I still go in a couple mornings a week on retainer, to help out.

In addition to running the place I did a fair amount of sales work myself.

To correct some incorrect info/assumptions already posted:

Powder coating and ceramic coating are not the same. The ceramic requires a much higher temperature to cure than powder does and most powder ovens won't run high enough to handle ceramic. Jet hot is not a powder coating process. You cannot powder coat the inside of tubes with regular spray powder equipment. There are dip (immersion) powder processes some places around the country, but they tend to have been designed for in house products and in my experience won't handle a set of headers for example.

Powder coating on headers remains a crap shoot. Powders that will withstand 1200 degrees F are on the ragged edge of powder technology. We've done some that held up great and some that failed miserably, and there was no predicting the outcome. High temp powders build in silicone as part of the product and this makes them difficult to spray, difficult to maintain shelf life, and require very thorough clean up after spraying, because of the silicone.

You don't normally preheat a part to powder coat it. You spray the dry powder on and then place the part in a cure oven, which is where the heating takes place, so there is no extra charge for heating up the part. The higher mass a part has, the longer it takes to get it to proper cure temperature, but that's really only a time variable. You can cheat a little if you want a thicker final coat, buy preheating the part, but going thicker than the powder mfr recommends is not wise as the product can be prone to chipping.

We also provided in house blasting capabilities. The guy running the blaster would typically make $20-25/hr. It is hard, dirty, tiring work. The media used is where most of the expense comes from. Our run rate worked out to about $125/hr.

Cost to blast and powder coat a K member is normally in the $135-175 range depending on a few variables, not the least of which is how greasy the darn thing is when it's dropped off. You don't want to be blasting greasy parts if you're trying to reclaim some of the media. So you end up having to wash the thing quite a bit before it's clean enough to put in the blast room.

There are tons of different colors available in powder. Some suppliers specialize in small quantity, fast delivery offerings. I just helped out a guy today who was looking for a charcoal metallic color. It's possible the coater you dealt with wanted to deal only with colors they stock.

The $2000 figure to powder coat a race car chassis likely included blasting. You should think about how long and how many different ways you need to approach all those tubes to get all the old paint off. It's typically $1200-1500 for us to blast and powder coat a circle track car for example. It can be several hours to blast completely clean, a couple hours to hand prep and a good 45 min to an hour ($350/hr run rate in that area) to apply the powder and then an hour in the cure oven. A specialty powder can add a couple hundred dollars to the bill.

The comment on sharp edges is true, but can be addressed by using a powder that doesn't have a high flow rate (used to create a higher gloss level). Painting inside corners, etc is simply a matter of proper gun settings and spray techniques. It's wise to make sure the coater knows the part may see chemicals, as certain powder chemistries are much better at resisting chemicals than others. If powder is chipping off, it's because of poor prep, too thick or not cured completely. I saw an A body K member not too long ago that came out of a totaled car. We'd powder coated the K member, which took a terrible beating in the wreck, and it did not lose adhesion even where the K member was deformed from the wreck.

My favorite 'crappy powder' story; a Harley guy brings in his grey wrinkle powder coated engine side covers complaining the powder was no good. It was all stained and streaked. He'd sprayed Easy Off oven cleaner on them (hot engine) to clean them off.

I feel better now. Thanks

#2510588 - 06/19/18 09:47 PM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: peabodyracing]
Vert Offline

This is awesome. Good to get a professional perspective. I don't mind paying a fair price. I'm just not into carrying the shop's mortgage. My k-frame was just bought from and converted by Debevec to a hemi frame, so I expect its pretty clean and near reeady to shoot. And my ceramic'd TTi headers are rust-free, just scratched a lot from a short-handed install. I know removing ceramic is almost worth replacing and selling the old ones. I may save that detail for a future date. Thanks for all the info.

#2510864 - 06/20/18 01:29 PM Re: What are you paying for powdercoat services? [Re: Vert]
wylde8 Offline
top fuel

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Another thing to remember is not all powder coaters do the blasting themselves. Many outsource the blasting part and only do the powder coating. The guy I use is a one man operation and drives everyones stuff to a blaster about 45 minutes away. Therefore, he has no say in the cost of the blasting and must pass that cost on to the customer.

At Moparts, the concensus is there is no consensus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,487 Registered Members
32 Forums
193,031 Topics
2,253,254 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Hardtop
by tomsjack
09/22/18 04:21 AM