Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2507037 - 06/11/18 11:28 AM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: EV2Bird]
chargervert Online   content
master

Loc: RI Deep in the rust belt
Originally Posted By EV2Bird
Although I think the safety of our old rides is sub par in so many ways, to me on the semi long list of the things in life that can/could do me in, my mopars are/would be at the bottom of the list.

Its great to be aware of things but whats changed in the last 40/50 years with our old cars. Not much really. Our cars have always been death traps

For me the day I start to worry about a side impact hit while out in a e or b body car or even my street racer with a 10 point id just have to sell them off and get a six air bag moped.

On all the car sites im on, life, cancer, old age seems to be picking us older guys off much more quickly then an occasional auto accident that many elderly might night survive as it is.

You can say that,but what if its not you that is sitting in that seat,what if its your wife, kids,or friends? This thread will come back to you really fast when you are trying to figure out how to live with that!
70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic

#2507071 - 06/11/18 12:36 PM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: 1968 Charger B5]
Ron_M Offline
top fuel

Loc: Connecticut
Originally Posted By 1968 Charger B5
Chargervert, after much deliberation I will post a pic or two of my roadrunner.... these cars have no side impact at all..... makes me reconsider rollcages and other safety features in my other cars now... oh and btw gotta hang again soon! Drive safe everyone.

My poor car was t-boned at over 45mph...

Is this the car that was built with the Beineke's (G-Seies)?
Sorry for your loss. Hope you're ok. That was one cool ride.

#2507074 - 06/11/18 12:42 PM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: Ron_M]
master

That was the car. Fortunately Rick is ok,and he is just finishing up the restoration on his sweet 68 Charger. I sold my 71 Satellite to him last fall so he has a replacement for the 73 in the works.

Edited by chargervert (06/11/18 12:53 PM)
70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic

#2507077 - 06/11/18 12:47 PM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: Mr T2U]
master

Originally Posted By Mr T2U
Originally Posted By krautrock
i'm not sure those two in a newer passenger vehicle of similar size to the charger would've faired better in this crash.
a car vs. a 1 ton van head on, at probably 70-75mph. i still think the cars passengers would've died.
the van might look a little more beat up than it did from hitting the charger but still, speed limits are pretty high these days.

you are probably correct. getting T boned in any car at 70mph is usually deadly.
modern cars with 5 star safety rating getting T boned at 30 or so the passengers will be sore but alive. in a older older car they will be riding in a coroner wagon.

it doesn't say what year the mustang was in the linked crash but i don't think mustangs made 5 star side impact ratings until 2015.

There was a crash that comes to mind,where some guy was test driving a new Challenger with the salesman in the car,and he T boned a 90s Mercury Sable at 100 mph. He killed a mother and her daughter, and both of the guys in the Challenger walked away.

#2507094 - 06/11/18 01:20 PM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: chargervert]
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

Loc: Kansas Roads Between 0 and 140...

I understand your point, its odd how many things in life do not become important to us until it affects us in a personal way.

Ironically, my wife wont get in a older mopar with me after a hard run in my street racer, now she wont get into a stock hemi car.

Myself having had a brush with a couple different cancers and a few other things that should of killed me off, im pretty much of the thought that things are gonna happen as they happen, if im in the drivers seat of a old mopar when my time comes, worse could happen (hope it would be quick thought).

But I do understand and respect the views posted here by others.

Originally Posted By chargervert
Although I think the safety of our old rides is sub par in so many ways, to me on the semi long list of the things in life that can/could do me in, my mopars are/would be at the bottom of the list.

Its great to be aware of things but whats changed in the last 40/50 years with our old cars. Not much really. Our cars have always been death traps

For me the day I start to worry about a side impact hit while out in a e or b body car or even my street racer with a 10 point id just have to sell them off and get a six air bag moped.

On all the car sites im on, life, cancer, old age seems to be picking us older guys off much more quickly then an occasional auto accident that many elderly might night survive as it is.

You can say that,but what if its not you that is sitting in that seat,what if its your wife, kids,or friends? This thread will come back to you really fast when you are trying to figure out how to live with that!

#2507115 - 06/11/18 01:48 PM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: theraif]
master

I know that not everyone is going to put a roll cage in their street driven Mopars. Even if we are just aware of the short comings of our 50 year old muscle cars,then my point in this thread is made. If we just change our driving habits a little bit because of this discussion then its worth having it. If we take a few extra seconds when pulling out into traffic,and be more wise about when and where we exhibit what our cars can do,then it is worth it. I been driving these cars for forty years, and I don't intend to stop driving them anytime soon. After seeing Ricks car,I was blown away by how they have absolutely ZERO side impact protection, and I believe being aware of this is important to all of us. To the people who are rebuilding the uni bodies of these cars, I suggest that you consider putting crash bars in the rocker panels, and a roll bar or cage tha ties the b pillars together and keeps the door and the rear quarter from separating and folding into the car.

Edited by chargervert (06/11/18 01:53 PM)

#2507405 - 06/12/18 02:48 AM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: chargervert]
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much

Loc: the frozen wastes...
Originally Posted By chargervert
I know that not everyone is going to put a roll cage in their street driven Mopars. Even if we are just aware of the short comings of our 50 year old muscle cars,then my point in this thread is made. If we just change our driving habits a little bit because of this discussion then its worth having it. If we take a few extra seconds when pulling out into traffic,and be more wise about when and where we exhibit what our cars can do,then it is worth it. I been driving these cars for forty years, and I don't intend to stop driving them anytime soon. After seeing Ricks car,I was blown away by how they have absolutely ZERO side impact protection, and I believe being aware of this is important to all of us. To the people who are rebuilding the uni bodies of these cars, I suggest that you consider putting crash bars in the rocker panels, and a roll bar or cage tha ties the b pillars together and keeps the door and the rear quarter from separating and folding into the car.

Meh... i go out ov my way to one, buy the smallest, lightest (read: flimsiest) muscle car in the first place... and then two, take as much weight out as i can. I wont compromise the structure, but a chassis-strengthening (for handling, not safety) rollbar, torque boxes, and chassis mods aside, i'd never add safety metal. Ever. I'll also always take a 70 E-body (the worst) over a slightly safer 74 any day. Hell... i still wanna find me a 71 Pinto Runabout, and that is a legit 1900lb car.

All you can do is pay attention, and honing your driving skills wont hurt either. The few times i've come close to a side collision i always turn into the car. Turn into or away. You can almost always do this. Most people dont, even when they can. I'll take a glancing blow, a corner hit, or a massive gouge down the side over a side impact anyday.

Call me paranoid, but i also assume that EVERY intersection is going to have a runner in it... every single one. It doesn't slow me down, and there is zero anxiety, but should something freaky happen, at least i'm ready for it. Just that trick alone has saved my ass from this exact scenario at least a handful ov times... once from a cop Denali responding to a call... no lights or sirens. I was driving my 2400lb Celica that time... Shee-iiit...

#2507508 - 06/12/18 11:26 AM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: theraif]
A990 Offline
top fuel

Loc: 541 slobovia
Anyone care to guess what that van weighed? Here's links to 2 more fatal crashes involving much newer cars, hit by bigger vehicles. Crumple zones don't reassure me. Older cars don't scare me, but distracted and intoxicated drivers sure do.
Link 1
Link 2

#2507509 - 06/12/18 11:29 AM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: Pale_Roader]
master

Meh... i go out ov my way to one, buy the smallest, lightest (read: flimsiest) muscle car in the first place... and then two, take as much weight out as i can. I wont compromise the structure, but a chassis-strengthening (for handling, not safety) rollbar, torque boxes, and chassis mods aside, i'd never add safety metal. Ever. [/quote]

Scroll back up and take a good hard look at Ricks 73 Road Runner picture. Not adding any metal for safety is fine, just don't bring anyone you care about for a ride, because no passenger would have survived. If Ricks car would have been hit on the other side, he would not be here to post pictures of the car.

#2507555 - 06/12/18 01:53 PM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: A990]
partsforsale Offline
mopar

Loc: s.e. MI
Originally Posted By A990
Anyone care to guess what that van weighed? Here's links to 2 more fatal crashes involving much newer cars, hit by bigger vehicles. Crumple zones don't reassure me. Older cars don't scare me, but distracted and intoxicated drivers sure do.
Link 1
Link 2

From the second link: "No ducks were injured." That probably didn't need to be mentioned......

#2507612 - 06/12/18 04:22 PM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: theraif]
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

#2507645 - 06/12/18 05:41 PM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: EV2Bird]
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

Loc: Canada

Interesting. Fatalities per 100,000 of the population were around 25 - 26 in the late sixties/early seventies, and down to around 10 - 11 today. I would hazard a guess that today's drivers are no better than the drivers back then (actually I think driving skill and attention has declined since then), so one could conclude that today's cars are generally safer. A further technical evaluation of the vehicles can lead to the same conclusion (as alluded to by Mr. T2U).

That said, they don't make you indestructible.

IMHO, no matter how safe you make cars, driving remains a dangerous activity. So, enjoy your old car, use it with common sense and hope you don't get unlucky. Driving an old car is definitely not the most dangerous thing you can do. There are plenty of things out there that can kill us just as easily.

Enjoy your life while you are able and stop worrying so much. smile

#2507741 - 06/12/18 09:51 PM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: theraif]
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

Interesting. Fatalities per 100,000 of the population were around 25 - 26 in the late sixties/early seventies, and down to around 10 - 11 today.

Yea, thats why I looked that up. Although just general stats I wonder if we all drove 1970-s of all brands what the stats would be with the increase of traffic, road ragers, ect....

#2507803 - 06/13/18 02:40 AM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: EV2Bird]
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much

Interesting. Fatalities per 100,000 of the population were around 25 - 26 in the late sixties/early seventies, and down to around 10 - 11 today.

Yea, thats why I looked that up. Although just general stats I wonder if we all drove 1970-s of all brands what the stats would be with the increase of traffic, road ragers, ect....

Its the distracted driving and the underlying anxiety/self-centeredness that really bumps the risk today. Back then, there was a stronger sense ov overall community, and FAR less stress. Cross that with cellphones, GPS, fancy screen stereos, the roadside ad onslaught... and you've got an ugly risk. Throw in a heavily medicated population, increased fatigue, decreased health, and its a perfect storm. Its a damn good thing cars are that much safer, and that we have largely hammered the once-tolerated issue ov drunk driving, and though i hate to admit it... lowered speed limits in many areas. People'd be dying everywhere...

#2507804 - 06/13/18 02:41 AM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: ChryCoGuy]
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much

Originally Posted By ChryCoGuy

Enjoy your life while you are able and stop worrying so much. smile

THIS!

#2507852 - 06/13/18 09:32 AM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: Pale_Roader]
azmopar Offline

Loc: NO RUST IN AZ!!!

#NONIKESEVER

A Real man aint afraid to drive PINK!!!!

67 Plymouth Valiant PILOT CAR 273 Commando 4 spd

#2507894 - 06/13/18 11:14 AM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: theraif]
56_Royal_Lancer Offline
My Mouth Is Shut II

Loc: The Center of Ohio
I would look around the interior of my '56 Dodge and just think "Jeeze, there is literally not one thought of safety in this entire design". Everything steel, big solid buttons and knobs sticking out, big e-brake handle next to my knee and the center of the steering wheel was basically a chrome-plated spear. And no seat belts.
So I added lap belts. And a thumping 440 with triple the real HP of the original 315. Hey, gotta die of something!

#2508112 - 06/13/18 06:19 PM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: azmopar]
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

Although sad I did find a few things funny....

“accelerated rapidly” = Chevy must of caught a tail wind.

"The vintage car also didn’t have airbags installed."

Really, who would of thought?

Originally Posted By azmopar

#2508124 - 06/13/18 07:11 PM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: krautrock]
jcc Offline
No politics

Loc: Trumussia
Originally Posted By krautrock
i'm not sure those two in a newer passenger vehicle of similar size to the charger would've faired better in this crash.
a car vs. a 1 ton van head on, at probably 70-75mph. i still think the cars passengers would've died.
the van might look a little more beat up than it did from hitting the charger but still, speed limits are pretty high these days.

IMO, the hit was hard, the car was a banana, but age was deadly in this case, a single 20 yr old in the dodge would be in very serious condition in the Dodge even if they were lucky to survive, the 70 year old's would likely not have survived, even if they were in the van, IMO.

#2508247 - 06/14/18 01:46 AM Re: 2 dead in crash on Dodge Park Blvd in Gresham2 dead in crash [Re: azmopar]
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much

Originally Posted By azmopar

Awesome. First comment in that article is some guy looking for Camaro parts from the wreck...

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,631 Registered Members
32 Forums
195,641 Topics
2,288,916 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
WW-II History buffs should read....
by 360view
12/15/18 07:26 AM