04/18/18 09:17 PM
04/18/18 09:17 PM
JERSEY
RJS Offline
master
RJS  Offline
master

JERSEY
I have a question: When you disconnected the speedo did you only disconnect at dash??? I'm asking because then the cable would still be turning and cables sometimes make weird sounds...
Ron

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: RJS] #2484832
04/18/18 09:52 PM
04/18/18 09:52 PM

M
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By RJS
I have a question: When you disconnected the speedo did you only disconnect at dash??? I'm asking because then the cable would still be turning and cables sometimes make weird sounds...
Ron

It would be much easier to disconnect at the transmission, eh?
Yep. Yep, it was.
The goal was to eliminate the cable as a possible source of the noise, after all. Only one way to do that.

The speedometer gear was also removed at one point to eliminate it as well. Nada.

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: ] #2485074
04/19/18 01:12 PM
04/19/18 01:12 PM
JERSEY
RJS Offline
master
RJS  Offline
master

JERSEY
Originally Posted By moparedtn
Originally Posted By RJS
Ron

It would be much easier to disconnect at the transmission, eh?
Yep. Yep, it was.
The goal was to eliminate the cable as a possible source of the noise, after all. Only one way to do that.

The speedometer gear was also removed at one point to eliminate it as well. Nada.

OK!!

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: ] #2485458
04/20/18 06:54 AM
04/20/18 06:54 AM

M
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
M

The word from the transmission shop today is that my old unit (the one with the mystery noise, remember?) is only in need of two (2) main bearings (I guess that would be "both" main bearings, right?) and a front seal.
That's it.
As I guessed, all the gears and synchros were in real nice shape, lending to why the unit drove so nicely.

Those who guessed "rear main bearing" or some such, come forward and collect your prize!

I'm no transmission guy; they never interested me much, honestly. I much prefer any/all other parts of these cars to repair/rebuild and have done so many a time.
Even so, this answer does satisfy me that the usual logical progression of eliminating what a problem ISN'T eventually leads to what it IS.
It did so in this case, certainly.

We'll swap out the transmissions Monday and get the Passon unit on its' way back to Jamie and hopefully the car behaves itself after that.
Fingers crossed.
I need for it to work; really need a break here.

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: ] #2485490
04/20/18 10:06 AM
04/20/18 10:06 AM
Morristown Tn.
71birdJ68 Offline
master
71birdJ68  Offline
master

Morristown Tn.
You going to the Chattanooga thing in May?

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: ] #2485527
04/20/18 11:49 AM
04/20/18 11:49 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
The word from the transmission shop today is that my old unit (the one with the mystery noise, remember?) is only in need of two (2) main bearings (I guess that would be "both" main bearings, right?) and a front seal.
That's it...

Hmm. Call me a skeptic but I'm still uncomfortable with that being a bearing noise. I guess we will see.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: ] #2485540
04/20/18 12:09 PM
04/20/18 12:09 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
That's it.
As I guessed, all the gears and synchros were in real nice shape, lending to why the unit drove so nicely.

Those who guessed "rear main bearing" or some such, come forward and collect your prize!

I'm no transmission guy; they never interested me much, honestly. I much prefer any/all other parts of these cars to repair/rebuild and have done so many a time.
Even so, this answer does satisfy me that the usual logical progression of eliminating what a problem ISN'T eventually leads to what it IS.

We'll swap out the transmissions Monday and get the Passon unit on its' way back to Jamie and hopefully the car behaves itself after that.
Fingers crossed.

Did they drop the cluster gear and look at the pin ? If f that trans was run with ATF at anytime in it's life then there will be wear on the pin where the bearings ride , since the trans is apart it makes zero sense to not replace every bearing inside it.

I'm also going to ask the dumb question, has the bellhousing run out been checked , if that bellhousing is not the one original to that engine block there is not guarantee it's within spec.

running up my post count some more .
Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: ] #2485543
04/20/18 12:13 PM
04/20/18 12:13 PM
Wheatfield, NY
Cuda340 Offline
top fuel
Cuda340  Offline
top fuel

Wheatfield, NY
Yes, there are two "Main bearings" one on the input shaft and one on the main shaft. The front bearing is probably a 308 bearing in your case "pun intended" and the rear is a 308. I would like to see how the bearings spin and how they look. If that's the case, cool replace and drive it. I would put a fresh set of gaskets on the side cover and tailshaft while its apart. They are cheap. There are different thicknesses of the 308 bearing, make sure you get the correct one. On the back of the input shaft there are needle bearings where the main shaft mates to it. Have them inspect those to make sure they are in good shape.

Last edited by Cuda340; 04/20/18 12:33 PM.
Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: ] #2485545
04/20/18 12:14 PM
04/20/18 12:14 PM
Wheatfield, NY
Cuda340 Offline
top fuel
Cuda340  Offline
top fuel

Wheatfield, NY
Also What JohnRR said....

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: Cuda340] #2485548
04/20/18 12:17 PM
04/20/18 12:17 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted By Cuda340
Yes, there are two "Main bearings" one on the input shaft and one on the main shaft. The front bearing is probably a 308 bearing in your case "pun intended" and the rear is a 307. I would like to see how the bearings spin and how they look. If that's the case, cool replace and drive it. I would put a fresh set of gaskets on the side cover and tailshaft while its apart. They are cheap. There are different thicknesses of the 308 bearing, make sure you get the correct one. On the back of the input shaft there are needle bearings where the main shaft mates to it. Have them inspect those to make sure they are in good shape.

307 in the rear ?

I just assumed the EXPERT rebuilding it would use new gaskets but now it sounds like it's going to get slapped back together with RTV ... ugh

running up my post count some more .
Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: JohnRR] #2485555
04/20/18 12:33 PM
04/20/18 12:33 PM
Wheatfield, NY
Cuda340 Offline
top fuel
Cuda340  Offline
top fuel

Wheatfield, NY
Originally Posted By JohnRR
Yes, there are two "Main bearings" one on the input shaft and one on the main shaft. The front bearing is probably a 308 bearing in your case "pun intended" and the rear is a 307. I would like to see how the bearings spin and how they look. If that's the case, cool replace and drive it. I would put a fresh set of gaskets on the side cover and tailshaft while its apart. They are cheap. There are different thicknesses of the 308 bearing, make sure you get the correct one. On the back of the input shaft there are needle bearings where the main shaft mates to it. Have them inspect those to make sure they are in good shape.

307 in the rear ? Sorry John, it was a typo... Corrected. Fat fingers... lol

I just assumed the EXPERT rebuilding it would use new gaskets but now it sounds like it's going to get slapped back together with RTV ... ugh

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: 71birdJ68] #2485841
04/20/18 10:57 PM
04/20/18 10:57 PM

M
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
You going to the Chattanooga thing in May?

No idea at this point. Guess it depends on this.

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: JohnRR] #2485846
04/20/18 11:00 PM
04/20/18 11:00 PM

M
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
M

That's it.

Fingers crossed.

Did they drop the cluster gear and look at the pin ? If f that trans was run with ATF at anytime in it's life then there will be wear on the pin where the bearings ride , since the trans is apart it makes zero sense to not replace every bearing inside it.

I'm also going to ask the dumb question, has the bellhousing run out been checked , if that bellhousing is not the one original to that engine block there is not guarantee it's within spec.

No idea and no idea, sorry.
Re: bellhousing, it's an original '68 one and the engine block is a '72, so there ya go. I've never been a "pull out the micrometer and index the bell to the thousandth" kind of guy - if the tranny slides in properly, then it's close enough for me.

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: JohnRR] #2485847
04/20/18 11:01 PM
04/20/18 11:01 PM

M
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
M

307 in the rear ?

You assume much and know little, but thanks for ummm....something?

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: Cuda340] #2485848
04/20/18 11:04 PM
04/20/18 11:04 PM

M
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
M

Yes, there are two "Main bearings" one on the input shaft and one on the main shaft. The front bearing is probably a 308 bearing in your case "pun intended" and the rear is a 308. I would like to see how the bearings spin and how they look. If that's the case, cool replace and drive it. I would put a fresh set of gaskets on the side cover and tailshaft while its apart. They are cheap. There are different thicknesses of the 308 bearing, make sure you get the correct one. On the back of the input shaft there are needle bearings where the main shaft mates to it. Have them inspect those to make sure they are in good shape.

Again, the trans guy has the unit, not me. He's the pro; I am not. I won't be there while he's rebuilding the unit.
He comes well-recommended by local mechanics.
Other than that, the plus to doing things this way is obvious:
if it turns out something isn't right, the recourse is very local - and I gets my recourse when it's warranted.

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: ] #2486884
04/23/18 04:43 PM
04/23/18 04:43 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

I can only go off the gibberish you've been posting ...

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: JohnRR] #2487550
04/24/18 10:49 PM
04/24/18 10:49 PM

M
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
M

I can only go off the gibberish you've been posting ...

You seem to be the only one having difficulty - and you also seem hellbent on making snarky comments instead of actually offering useful advice, too.

Seek help.

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: ] #2487556
04/24/18 11:01 PM
04/24/18 11:01 PM

M
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
moparedtn OP
Unregistered
M

Conclusion:
The GTX is all back together as of this evening. The repaired transmission performed flawlessly on the trip home, which coincidentally was the first time since I've owned the car (over 7 years) that it was driven in the rain.

The decision was also made to resurface the flywheel due to indications of premature warpage (probably came from the supplier that way). We also installed the roller input bearing in place of the usual bushing.

The Passon unit has been repacked in the original crate and will be returning to Jamie once he forwards the necessary documentation to do so.
Chalk it up to stuff happening sometimes...

The local transmission guy is apparently correct in his diagnosis and repairs to my original transmission. An extended road test once this storm front is finally gone will finalize confirmation of that.

I appreciate all the advice and help offered by several folks in this thread!
That said, I won't bother next time. There's a few bad seeds in this forum that need eradicated, sadly. Nobody needs to be badgered while seeking help and I'm pretty sure that's not the point of this forum.
Darn shame - this website has been around longer than most.

Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: ] #2487558
04/24/18 11:03 PM
04/24/18 11:03 PM
South San Francisco, Ca
70sixpkrt Offline
master
70sixpkrt  Offline
master

South San Francisco, Ca
What was the problem? I just read a little higher and I see it was the Bearings.

Last edited by 70sixpkRT; 04/24/18 11:06 PM.

[img]http://www.imgur.com/hxlGUJt.gif[/img]
4-speed
3:54 Dana
13.01 @107.93 with street tires (not hooking up)
Re: Can anyone confidently identify this noise? A833 4 speed [Re: ] #2487570
04/24/18 11:26 PM
04/24/18 11:26 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I’ve seen these threads with similar answers for years and years. Had my own go that way. No reason to throw your hands up. Wasn’t even a big deal what was said anyway. If you want to quit over that, I’d say we just watched the weak get killed and eaten. And this isn’t even the Bullet!

I want my fair share
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7