03/23/18 01:16 PM
03/23/18 01:16 PM
Indianapolis In. usa
Quickrunner Offline OP
mopar
Quickrunner  Offline OP
mopar

Indianapolis In. usa
This will be custom install in my street strip build that has rollcage bars behind dash so the direct fit kits wont work for me. Looking at the mini units from both Vintage-Air & Classic Auto Air that offer heat, AC, & defrost. Both are about same size and can fit between my firewall and dash bar on cage and tuck up nice out of sight. Any good or bad experience between these 2 companies?

05 Ram 1500 Daytona package
71 Demon Gen3 hemi drag radial project

Missin' my 9 second 70 runner!
Re: Aftermarket AC? [Re: Quickrunner] #2470940
03/23/18 01:49 PM
03/23/18 01:49 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i have only one experience with a vintage air unit on my best friends 55 chevy. everything fit good with only minor bracketry fabbing by us, and it cooled very well ! it also tied into his original dash controls, which was a nice touch. since then, both of us has used a couple of ac only "universal" type kits, and for the [our] applications, those worked well also. we just had to use our "thinking cap" a tad more to position the evaporator inside in the best place possible. at the present time, we are installing an underdash unit from the 60's [that is in excellent condition, stored for many, many years] in a 64 ford galaxy 500. this unit was used for a varity of reasons. one, he had it, and two, it fits with the 60's style build of the car. it is being coupled with a modern sanyo compressor [twin V belt drive], aluminum crossflow radiator and condensor, r134, and twin semi-staggered electric fans. we both believe the system will work as planned. for my humpback build [which also has a cage plus engine setback which makes behind dash space tight, if non existent], i plan on using a divorced heat/cool setup behind the seats placed in wells in front of the rear tires, [heat in one, ac evaporator in the other] with duct work running either up the door jambs, or in the tunnel area forward covered by a console. still in the planning stage, so i know sort of what you are forced with as for space limitations. if the vintage air unit fits what you need and want, i am pretty sure you will like it. don't know if this has been helpful to you or not.
beer

Re: Aftermarket AC? [Re: Quickrunner] #2476710
04/03/18 11:58 AM
04/03/18 11:58 AM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Went with vintage air on my 33 build. The mini unit. Had major under dash space limitations also since I went with dual reverse mounted master cylinders that ate up most of the left side under the dash. Went with vintage air controls also which made it "plug and play" for the most part. Also went with an under dash adjustable fan controller which included a dash LED light. One of the mistakes I initially made ( last pic ) was not going with the low barrier lines, which are considerably smaller than the "regular size" lines, making the install harder than it needed to be. I have since remedied that on the return line ( was a -10 ) and may do some other lines in time.

AC box mounting.jpgGates band clamps.jpgHVAC plumbing3.jpg

Fastest 300
Re: Aftermarket AC? [Re: Quickrunner] #2479996
04/09/18 02:45 PM
04/09/18 02:45 PM
Halifax, VA.
M
moparjack44 Offline
enthusiast
moparjack44  Offline
enthusiast
M

Halifax, VA.
I used Vintage unit in my 48 DeSoto. Very satisfied, but space not a problem on the DeSoto.

K.I.S.S.