Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2463125 - 03/08/18 12:23 PM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: DusterKid]
HotRodDave Offline
master

Loc: Kalispell Mt.
I wouldn't use engine oil or trans fluid as they both have detergents that allow the oil and water to mix(imagine the milkshake in your oil when a headgasket blows coolant in it), this will eventually let the salt water reach the metal. Hydraulic oil would be much better as that will not mix with water or wash off near as easy. You could also use non-detergent lawn mower oil or even gear oil if you like to stink. Whatever you do you should do it with the car hot and dry in the summer so you don't trap any moisture in where your trying to keep it out.

The best plan long term would be to convince you local authorities not to take bribes from the auto industry who actually wants your car to rust out and convince them to plow and spread sand instead of a salt ing your car. I HATE when they salt the roads around here, luckily they usually only spray a little at intersections.

Another thing I try is to run real good snow tires so I can simply look for the driest groove to drive on.

Doing all the little things right should help postpone the rust, still gonna happen but might slow it a little if your proactive.

68 cuda 360 notchback SOLD

1996 Ram 2500 5.9 eddy intake EQ heads, mild cam upgrade great tow rig!

#2463148 - 03/08/18 01:12 PM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: 63CandyMatic]
GOLDMYN Offline
top fuel

Loc: Kenosha, Wi

Originally Posted By 63CandyMatic
WD-40 does not work.

Mixture of oil and tranny fluid is much better, others mentioned work well also.

Yes, That what I did and I don't appreciate your personal remark!

#2463464 - 03/08/18 09:33 PM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: DaytonaTurbo]
GOLDMYN Offline
top fuel

Loc: Kenosha, Wi
Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
I bought my civic new in 2007. All I did was have it undercoated. No rust yet. I live in a rural area and drive gravel roads and it's doing great. My wife's mazda 3, same year, no factory undercoating has the usual mazda rust underneath and starting in the rear wheel wells.

Originally Posted By GOLDMYN
I bought a new Ram Big Horn last year and prior to the first snow, I parked it in the garage, called the insurance company and put storage coverage on it, I went on ebay and bought a low mileage 97 Buick and thats been our go to car this winter. I'll take the truck out 1st of April and enjoy my rust free 7K mile Ram. Beating the salt in Wisconsin

So you're saying you dumped 50k on a TRUCK to instead drive a 97 buick in the winter? realcrazy

My post s/b for the guy on the thread above

#2463813 - 03/09/18 12:57 PM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: DusterKid]
njmopar Offline
super stock

Loc: Clinton, NJ
I vote Fluid Film. Has saved my 300M. It may smell nasty (you get used to it) and attract some dirt, but does the job intended. Does not cause any consequential damage and no harm to environment.
Buy it in gallon can and get a cheap shutz gun. 1/2-3/4 gallon will do a full car.
Do yourself a favor and put down some cheap plastic on your driveway and put the truck up on jackstands with wheels off. Cover brake discs with plastic bags and your cat with tinfoil. Saves getting brake surface from getting coated and the eventual smoke trail when you go out on your first drive.
Park in the street for a few hours after to let excess drip off from any surface heated from the exhaust and not stain your drive.

#2463849 - 03/09/18 02:02 PM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: DusterKid]
Sunroofcuda Offline
master

Loc: Highland, MI.
OK, now where do you get a good quality undercoating gun kit with wands & tips from?? I am not too impressed with the Eastwood setup I got a few years ago.
“Bear in mind that brains and learning, like muscle and physical skill, are articles of commerce. They are bought and sold. You can hire them by the year or by the hour. The only thing in the world not for sale is character.” (Antonin Scalia)

#2464107 - 03/09/18 09:23 PM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: GOLDMYN]
63CandyMatic Offline
pro stock

Loc: Land of the Brave, Home of the...
Originally Posted By GOLDMYN

Originally Posted By 63CandyMatic
WD-40 does not work.

Mixture of oil and tranny fluid is much better, others mentioned work well also.

Yes, That what I did and I don't appreciate your personal remark!

Not sure I understand your comment. I've used WD-40, and found it to be a a lousy rust preventative. I use Fluid Film also for about 10 years. We used to use old trans fluid strained and sprayed through a pump sprayer, but it drips and drips.

#2464198 - 03/10/18 07:07 AM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: DusterKid]
NewbombTurkk Offline
master

Loc: West Virginia
Why spend huge bucks on a new vehicle in the rust belt? In WV they rust before the payment book is thin.

Now 1972 El Camino, original 402

#2464204 - 03/10/18 07:22 AM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: DusterKid]
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

Loc: Canada
I have a 1997 Sebring that we've owned since 1999. Applied Krown on it when we bought it and almost every year since. Also bought some spray cans of Rust Check (more easily available locally than Krown, but similar product) to touch up any areas missed by the Krown guys.

The car has been driven every winter in one of the harshest corrosion areas in NA since we've owned it and has zero rust to this day.

I would recommend it, and want to note that the touch ups with a spray can are important because the guys doing the application never cover all the critical areas on the car, the most important of which can be some of the crevices in between panels that generally don't get good Ecoat coverage, and stamped edges of panels which often have burrs and paint does not cover them well. The main flat areas on underfloor panels are usually not the starting point of rust unless there is some damage from stone impact, etc.

IMHO, WD40 is too light and will not provide adequate coverage.

twocents

#2464212 - 03/10/18 08:06 AM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: DusterKid]
redraptor Offline
master

Loc: Greenville, PA
ANY oil sprayed on religiously will work for rust prevention even WD-40 if you can get enuff on it. WHEN to spray seems to be a debate but I prefer fall as you have all summer for the rains to wash off salt/brine. Once the brine gets in the metal you can only slow it down, not stop it.

#2464229 - 03/10/18 09:02 AM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: redraptor]
moparx Offline
Dreaming of implants

Loc: north of coder
i get my spray deal done around thanksgiving time, before the first snow. a few days after it gets sprayed, it is done dripping and ready for the salt spray.
beer

#2464954 - 03/11/18 08:01 PM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: moparx]
Kelob_pie Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Kewaskum, WI
Fluid Film twice a year around here, no complaints, load it on everywhere! Go nuts with it.

#2465133 - 03/12/18 09:13 AM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: Kelob_pie]
qkRick Offline
super stock

Totally agree that any oil is better than nothing. Also my thought is thay if you only did a car once it should be when it is new. Since we have started using brine here I try to do vehicles twice. First as early in spring and then as late in the fall as possible. When I do it myself I normally use hydraulic oil for hard to access areas and chain saw bar oil for other areas. I purchased the big kit from Fluid Film last fall but fortunately did not have to use the vehicle I used it on this winter I beg my friends to do their vehicles but many are worried about the mess. This process has prolonged the life of my vehicles and saved me thousands in repairs. Quick pic of underside of my 97 Ram. My other winter tactic is that is to never park a salty car in warm garage. Salt is less hateful at lower temps. Makes wife crazy but it is easier to warm up and scrape car than to fix rust.

Attachments
DSC03151.JPG

#2465139 - 03/12/18 09:37 AM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: qkRick]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By qkRick
My other winter tactic is that is to never park a salty car in warm garage. Salt is less hateful at lower temps. Makes wife crazy but it is easier to warm up and scrape car than to fix rust.

I think that freeze-thaw cycle causes problems and the salt only exacerbates it. Certain times of the year it can't be avoided but I've never noticed anything rust in the dead of winter when the temps stay below freezing.

#2465665 - 03/13/18 08:21 AM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: DusterKid]
360view Offline
master

Loc: USA
Almost all the auto manufacturers now use at least some galvanized steel panels in their autos that have a special surface finish combined with special primer that sticks to the zinc surface and exterior paint.

If zinc is good in this auto application,
why wouldn’t replaceable “Boat Zincs” with mounts in the right spots
work even better?

The mounting nuts and bolts for the Boat Zincs would have to be cleaned periodically since the corrosion is being “concentrated” at that spot.

It would be hard for an owner to know where to best mount the Boat Zincs,
but since auto manufacturers do corrosion testing routinely anyway,
adding a couple extra vehicles to their tests with trial zinc mounts spread around would not be that big a deal or expense.

Since it has now been proven that one of the best ways to reduce CO2 emissions is to keep already made vehicles much longer,
maybe I should place my tongue firmly in my cheek,
and plead with Al Gore and Bill-Nye-The-Science-Guy to demand Boat Zincs and denounce ethanol addition to gasoline?

#2465669 - 03/13/18 08:29 AM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: 360view]
moparx Offline
Dreaming of implants

Loc: north of coder
something i never quite figured out about auto makers is their constant claims about "XYZ" rust preventative processes, as they surely know about the road treatments that cause rust in the first place. they always say "something" about their "salt spray" tests. unless they only add one box of table salt to eleventybillion gallons of water for their tests.
beer

#2465682 - 03/13/18 09:40 AM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: moparx]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By moparx
something i never quite figured out about auto makers is their constant claims about "XYZ" rust preventative processes, as they surely know about the road treatments that cause rust in the first place. they always say "something" about their "salt spray" tests. unless they only add one box of table salt to eleventybillion gallons of water for their tests.
beer

I always wondered about that too. Sure I can spray saltwater at a painted surface and it'll last but try mixing in some gravel, stones and a constant freeze-thaw cycle and let us know how that changes things.

#2466696 - 03/14/18 10:05 PM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: DusterKid]
gts340swinger Offline

Loc: Kingston, IL USA!
I use the PB Blaster Marine "Corrosion Stop". Comes in a spray can and cost $5 a can. I sprayed it all over everything on the bottom side and under the hood when my trucks were new. They don't see the inside of a garage, ever. This stuff sticks, it will collect a little grime over time but will wash right off with a pressure washer. everywhere I sprayed this stuff looks brand new underneath.
This is a cheap and easy way to prevent rust. I re apply every fall but the first application took 3-4 cans to really coat everything.
76 KZ 900 Mr. Norm's Motor Sports Special
69 D100
68 Barracuda
67 Monaco 500
64 Valiant V200
07 Charger Daytona SST 6 speed test mule.

#2466797 - 03/15/18 07:29 AM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: gts340swinger]
360view Offline
master

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By gts340swinger
I use the PB Blaster Marine "Corrosion Stop". Comes in a spray can and cost $5 a can.

This one?

https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-16-CSP-Heavy-Duty-Corrosion-Stop/dp/B0015DOEKI/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1521113011&sr=1-1-fkmr3&keywords=PB+Blaster+Marine+%22Corrosion+Stop%22

Or these others

https://www.amazon.com/BLaster-Aerosol-Corrosion-Stop-Protectant/dp/B00TPAD8QE/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1521113011&sr=1-2-fkmr3&keywords=PB+Blaster+Marine+%22Corrosion+Stop%22

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/143-1999007-8094647?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=PB+Blaster+Marine+%22Corrosion+Stop%22

#2466999 - 03/15/18 04:02 PM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: 360view]
qkRick Offline
super stock

I was in a hurry when writing last post and forgot an important part of my rust prevention regimen. Not necessary on a new vehicle but I make certain that all debris is out of car body such as wheel wells, dog legs on fenders, behind mudflaps, behind plastic wheel well covers etc.

#2467351 - 03/16/18 12:57 PM Re: New Truck - rust prevention [Re: redraptor]
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By redraptor
ANY oil sprayed on religiously will work for rust prevention even WD-40 if you can get enuff on it. WHEN to spray seems to be a debate but I prefer fall as you have all summer for the rains to wash off salt/brine. Once the brine gets in the metal you can only slow it down, not stop it.

I think WD-40 is too light to have any kind of staying power. It's great for wicking in and loosening stuck parts, but I don't think it would last long on a surface being splashed on a regular basis.

When? I prefer early-mid autumn, before it gets too cold to allow the oil to flow better in warmer temperatures so that it will creep to the crevices between panels. You want to get it in there before salt season too.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,343 Registered Members
32 Forums
190,195 Topics
2,218,990 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,417 @ 06/18/18 08:39 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
65 B-Body Master Cylinder Conversion
by vjb