Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2461633 - 03/05/18 04:36 PM looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it
69RR Offline
top fuel

Loc: E.Amherst, NY
I may be doing some horse trading- I'm "buying" his car a 1965 and he is "buying" my car a 1968...I'm in New York. How hard and what would I need to register this car?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Dean

#2461784 - 03/05/18 09:32 PM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: 69RR]
BloFish Offline

Loc: Lake Oroville
Contact Your local DMV and ask them, they should know.

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2461799 - 03/05/18 09:51 PM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: BloFish]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By BloFish

You would think but having done it here in California my DMV was a nightmare.

Had to call the Tech Line

Check in the Tech/ Archive - one of our Michigan Members wrote up a good article on all that you need.

#2461804 - 03/05/18 09:56 PM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: 69RR]
BloFish Offline

Loc: Lake Oroville
Yeah, I’m spoiled. I have a back door number to the wizard of oz... I forget how inconsistent their counter people are.

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2461846 - 03/05/18 11:14 PM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: BloFish]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA
Yeah, I’m spoiled. I have a back door number to the wizard of oz... I forget how inconsistent their counter people are.

Oh we might need to talk grin

#2461900 - 03/06/18 06:25 AM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: Morty426]
MI_Custumz Offline
master

Loc: Port Huron, Michigan
Originally Posted By Morty426

You would think but having done it here in California my DMV was a nightmare.

Had to call the Tech Line

Check in the Tech/ Archive - one of our Michigan Members wrote up a good article on all that you need.
Taking your car over is different now than the thing I wrote up. Call the crossing and ask both sides what you would need to do. As far as buying a car and bringing it back, depends on if you are personally bringing it back or hiring someone to do it. Hiring requires a broker and fees. Personal is free and easier. That year is DOT and EPA exempt, so you just need to fill out papers at the border, a bill of sale, and a value. No taxes or fees collected by US Customs, but may be by the state when you register it. They will give you a DOT, EPA, and CBP Form 7501 to take to the DMV to register the car.

#2461949 - 03/06/18 09:10 AM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: 69RR]
Stanton Offline
master

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Just had a long conversation with a guy (Canadian) who sold his car at Carlisle last summer. The car was displayed and sold at Carlisle but had to come back into Canada to have all the paperwork done before being taken back into the US.

He said that a broker was a requirement because the car falls under the category of "commercial goods". Besides that, the broker knows all the ins and outs and is worth the money. That's to sell the car into the US. I don't think "trade" is used in the equation, as far as either side is concerned you're buying the car.

#2461952 - 03/06/18 09:18 AM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: 69RR]
MI_Custumz Offline
master

Trade, sell, gift, it's all the same process. The one sold at Carlisle had to go back to Canada because it needs to be either imported at the border with paperwork or a temporary importation bond if he my sell it in the US. TIB cost money and are a pain if you're not sure if it's going to sell. Commercial is when someone hauls it into the US for you. If you pick it up and bring it back yourself, it's personal and no broker needed.

#2462272 - 03/06/18 07:21 PM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: MI_Custumz]
69RR Offline
top fuel

Originally Posted By MI_Custumz
Trade, sell, gift, it's all the same process. The one sold at Carlisle had to go back to Canada because it needs to be either imported at the border with paperwork or a temporary importation bond if he my sell it in the US. TIB cost money and are a pain if you're not sure if it's going to sell. Commercial is when someone hauls it into the US for you. If you pick it up and bring it back yourself, it's personal and no broker needed.

Thanks for all the information. Yeh it would be two separate transactions - no money changing hands but the value would be stated on the forms. I would have to pay GST to "import" the car. But I think I would get that back after I pay NY state tax on the value of the vehicle at time of registration and claw back the GST. I "think" it's 5% but I will have to check.

I think though the guy buying my car would have to pay that and another 8% in tax/import fees.

Instead of a one for one trade it'll cost close to 4 grand combined paid to both the governments for the pleasure of driving just another old car.

If he bought my car outright with the exchange rate and the import fees it would 40% above the USD purchase price..yikes,

Thanks again

#2462445 - 03/07/18 06:31 AM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: 69RR]
MI_Custumz Offline
master

There are no fees at the US side of the border to export it or import it unless you use a broker (commercial transaction). Canada may charge and of course the state gets theirs too.

#2462584 - 03/07/18 11:52 AM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: 69RR]
69_SIX_PACK Offline
master

Loc: Brantford Ontario
I knew this guy named Dean that used to drive cool Mopars all the time, A12's
and other assorted Road Runners and Super Bees around the Buffalo area....whatever happened to that guy?

You don't have to pay the Ontario taxes. Make sure you get a good bill of sale and the "ownership". The is pretty similar to a New York State registration and that is our "Title" and "Registration" built into one.

I would phone the border crossings too on the American side to see which would be the best to cross at. I am thinking Queenston.

Dave
Mopar Nationals – Columbus, OH  – August 9-11, 2019
Woodward Dream Cruise – Detroit MI – August 15-16, 2019
Moparfest – New Hamburg ON  – August 17-18, 2019
MCACN – Chicago, IL – Nov 16-17, 2019  

#2462881 - 03/07/18 08:32 PM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: 69_SIX_PACK]
69RR Offline
top fuel

Originally Posted By 69_SIX_PACK
I knew this guy named Dean that used to drive cool Mopars all the time, A12's
and other assorted Road Runners and Super Bees around the Buffalo area....whatever happened to that guy?

You don't have to pay the Ontario taxes. Make sure you get a good bill of sale and the "ownership". The is pretty similar to a New York State registration and that is our "Title" and "Registration" built into one.

I would phone the border crossings too on the American side to see which would be the best to cross at. I am thinking Queenston.

Dave

Hey Dave - yeh I loved Super Bees before they were cool, but I got priced out the market - one misstep and I'm on the street no house walking the dog m*f*r. Lol. But I'll get back to the mopar world. Thanks for the info. I thought I would have to pay something at the border and try to get reimbursed. This helps.

But the guy bringing my car will be a costly affair. We'll see what happens - these border guys can make your life uncomfortable if you don't follow the rules.,

#2462993 - 03/08/18 06:14 AM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: 69RR]
MI_Custumz Offline
master

Have him drive it to the town on the Canadian side and you bring it across from there. That's always another option.

Edited by MI_Custumz (03/08/18 06:14 AM)

#2463011 - 03/08/18 08:22 AM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: MI_Custumz]
69RR Offline
top fuel

Have him drive it to the town on the Canadian side and you bring it across from there. That's always another option.

I have thought about that but I was wondering if they record color/yr/style as you go over?

#2463013 - 03/08/18 08:27 AM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: 69RR]
MI_Custumz Offline
master

All the US cares about is the person who bought it in Canada is with it and makes it personal. If they US owner isn't with it, it's commercial. I see cars getting swapped in trailers in local lots all the time. Less hassle for all involved.

#2463352 - 03/08/18 06:40 PM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: MI_Custumz]
69RR Offline
top fuel

All the US cares about is the person who bought it in Canada is with it and makes it personal. If they US owner isn't with it, it's commercial. I see cars getting swapped in trailers in local lots all the time. Less hassle for all involved.

Gotcha. I would have to call them ahead of time - a couple of weeks and have a couple of forms ready like the EPA/Safety forms and have them signed "exempt" and make sure the underside is clean and fill out a form at the border patrol office.

#2482738 - 04/14/18 07:26 PM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: 69RR]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Bringing this back up for some more answers since I am in a similar situation. I have a verbal agreement with someone in Canada to buy a car, a '68 Dodge. The car was originally built in the US for domestic sale. I believe he got it out of Colorado about 10 years ago and brought it up to Canada.

The current owner said he had no issues registering the car in his province (Quebec). He thought he might have the Colorado title somewhere but wasn't sure. He said that Canada does not issue a title and all that is required to sell a car to someone, either within the same province or in another is a bill of sale.

My state (CT) does not issue titles for vehicles 20 years and older. They only want taxes paid on the price at the time of registration and to pass a safety inspection. There is no lien on the thing because if there was, he would have not been able to register it in Quebec. (like here)

Since this is a US built car, I don't think I will have any problems trying to register it but I'm not clear on the best procedure for getting it across the border without a hassle. I'm sure there are forms and such for this type of thing but I don't know exactly what to look for.

Most likely I will drive up and trailer it home. There's also the possibility I could fly up, get to the guy's place and drive it home but I think it would probably be best to trailer it since it's about 7-8 hours one way.

The guy said he would be willing to drive to the border and make the exchange but thought it might not look so good if he brought the car over to the U.S. side and went back with a bunch of money but no car. Or, like said above, buy the car just over the border and trailer it back from there.

Looking for real world experience and whether the OP managed to get it his car here and registered.

Thanks!

- Greg
'17 Ram 1500

#2482784 - 04/14/18 09:18 PM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: 69RR]
Stanton Offline
master

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Here's something to consider. When Canadians import cars from the US we're supposed to stop on the UD side. The purpose being that the vehicle is then taken out of the system of the appropriate state - think about it, we buy a car in the States, we don't change ownership there, we do that back home in Canada. HOWEVER, ten years ago this wasn't as strictly enforced nor did many Canadians do it, they just brought them over and declared them on our side. The consequence of this is that a vehicle purchased in the US and brought to Canada could still be validly registered to the person in the state in which it was purchased. Now you try to bring this car back in to the US and all sorts of bells and whistles go off and the next thing you know you're in cuffs. NO JOKE. So the bottom line is, you want to find out the history of this car and whether or not its still registered somewhere in the US. I imagine a call to border security will lead you to the right place to find this out.

Another interesting consequence of not clearing a vehicle through US customs when it comes to Canada is if the owner drives the car in the US to a show or whatever and is stopped for any reason and they run the VIN, the Canadian plate obviously won't match and well, its a felony in the US to switch plates on a vehicle.

#2482952 - 04/15/18 07:53 AM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: 69RR]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Loc: Spahn Ranch
I don't believe my situation is an extreme case where there is something dubious or illegal. So far there have been no warning signs to indicate any criminal intent. The seller restored the car and drives it regularly.

But, I still want the transaction to go smoothly so I will do whatever it takes to make that happen. I'm guessing that it's really a matter of having the proper forms and/or documentation filled out when crossing the border back into the US.

Wonder if it would help to register the car in my name and get plates before bringing it back here? Not sure if that can be done, have to look into it. The seller would have to send all the necessary documentation ahead of time to facilitate that. Preregistering would also put to rest any question of the car still belonging to someone here.
'17 Ram 1500

#2483002 - 04/15/18 10:19 AM Re: looking to buy a car (1965) from Ont Canada. How Hard is it [Re: 69RR]
MI_Custumz Offline
master

Bring it across yourself and it is a personal importation. Bill of sale, Canadian registration, and the vehicle or all you should need to fill out the paperwork. You will then take that paperwork to your state motor vehicle office and get it registered in your name for the United States. If they drive it to the border it on the Canadian side and you pick it up there that is fine as well. If they drive across into the United States then it is an illegal importation. Some offices will allow you to come back up and register it as an import, some will also issue a penalty. Easier just to bring ion across yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,352 Registered Members
32 Forums
190,345 Topics
2,220,868 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
How to tell if torsion bars are worn out?
by Smoparmike
06/25/18 11:27 AM
RMS-Equipped “Ragingbird” Featured On Velocity Channel
by Rustymuscle
06/25/18 10:48 AM
New Ram with 2-tone paint
by 56_Royal_Lancer
06/25/18 10:24 AM
Minty 600 ES Turbo Convertible
by 56_Royal_Lancer
06/25/18 10:03 AM