03/08/18 05:40 PM
03/08/18 05:40 PM
Florida
cbusters Offline OP
super stock
cbusters  Offline OP
super stock

Florida
I am installing the rear convertible top trim around the opening in front of the Dutchman Panel. What hardware is used to attach these clips to the lip around the body opening? Thanks!

DSCN1095.JPG
Re: 69 Road Runner Trim [Re: cbusters] #2463449
03/09/18 12:11 AM
03/09/18 12:11 AM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline
super stock

Chicago
I "think" you might have the wrong clips, but I'd have to take a closer look at mine. The trim in front of the Dutchman panel, in fact all the convertible trim around the top, is attached by screws coming up & in from underneath. I believe the holes in the trim clips are more centered in the trim (again, I have to look). There are holes along the body line "lip" where the screws go.

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"
Re: 69 Road Runner Trim [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2463543
03/09/18 02:24 AM
03/09/18 02:24 AM
Florida
cbusters Offline OP
super stock
cbusters  Offline OP
super stock

Florida
Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper
I "think" you might have the wrong clips, but I'd have to take a closer look at mine. The trim in front of the Dutchman panel, in fact all the convertible trim around the top, is attached by screws coming up & in from underneath. I believe the holes in the trim clips are more centered in the trim (again, I have to look). There are holes along the body line "lip" where the screws go.

I do have holes in the "pinched" area. The fasteners pass through those holes into the clip in the picture that slides into the stainless trim that is assembled as shown. I am missing the description of that one part that fastens them.

Re: 69 Road Runner Trim [Re: cbusters] #2464932
03/11/18 09:17 PM
03/11/18 09:17 PM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline
super stock

Chicago
Ok, I double checked my extra convertible trim & you have the correct clips. What holds those onto the car is simply "machine screws" that you can buy at a hardware store.

The factory ones are slightly beveled at the tip to make them easier to install, but nobody will ever see the screws, so hardware store is fine in my opinion. Just be SURE the screws you get aren't too long or you will dent the trim tightening them down. The screws come up from under the pinchweld lip, through those holes, into the holes in your trim clips.

You might need to custom-cut some hardware store screws. If so, then maybe run a die up on the screw, cut them in a convenient way, maybe even bevel them slightly, and back the die off the screw to clean up the threads you just cut.

Last edited by PurpleBeeper; 03/11/18 09:19 PM.

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"
Re: 69 Road Runner Trim [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2465018
03/12/18 12:00 AM
03/12/18 12:00 AM
Florida
cbusters Offline OP
super stock
cbusters  Offline OP
super stock

Florida
Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper
Ok, I double checked my extra convertible trim & you have the correct clips. What holds those onto the car is simply "machine screws" that you can buy at a hardware store.

The factory ones are slightly beveled at the tip to make them easier to install, but nobody will ever see the screws, so hardware store is fine in my opinion. Just be SURE the screws you get aren't too long or you will dent the trim tightening them down. The screws come up from under the pinchweld lip, through those holes, into the holes in your trim clips.

You might need to custom-cut some hardware store screws. If so, then maybe run a die up on the screw, cut them in a convenient way, maybe even bevel them slightly, and back the die off the screw to clean up the threads you just cut.

Thanks, I located someones spare set yesterday and found phillips head machine screws in the pot metal pieces and phillips head sheet metal screws in the clip parts and they screwed in the slot part of the clips.